PDA

View Full Version : DP Members who Ride Bicycles

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 12:04 PM
What's your favorite place?

I live in the mountains and it's very hard to find a place to ride that my old body can handle. I considered getting an electric bike but got discouraged. My friend has one and she says she only made it up one of our hills without the battery going dead.

I miss Oregon. Eugene and Portland are great bike cities.

fj1200
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Try an electric bike where the motor only assists, or get a better battery.

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 03:24 PM
Try an electric bike where the motor only assists, or get a better battery.

Can you advise me on what a "better batter" would be or the motor only assists? I haven't checked this out yet, I just went on the advice of a friend who has tried to bike here.

It is VERY mountainous.

I live on the river, down a hairpin curved two and a half miles long. The top of the hill is at 2500 feet.

jimnyc
05-02-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm an urban biker. Just ride the local streets for miles at a pop, but I'm more in it for the exercise. Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where I'm going this weekend, has some fantastic scenery, but the amount of hills might kill an average biker like myself!

Wind Song
05-02-2012, 03:48 PM
I'm an urban biker. Just ride the local streets for miles at a pop, but I'm more in it for the exercise. Lancaster, Pennsylvania, where I'm going this weekend, has some fantastic scenery, but the amount of hills might kill an average biker like myself!

I live in the Trinity Alps.

fj1200
05-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Can you advise me on what a "better batter" would be or the motor only assists?

Lithium batteries are better or a hybrid bike where you peddle but can turn on the motor when needed.

http://www.nycewheels.com/electric-bike-kit.html

DragonStryk72
05-03-2012, 09:04 AM
I'll tell you where I don't like riding a god damn bike: Albany fucking NY. It's all hills, pretty much literally. Every place I go is up hill, and then the uphills on the way back as well because it's so hilly

Little-Acorn
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I build electric bikes, mostly from Chinese kits. San Diego is pretty hilly. I get the best results by using 48-volt motors and batteries, and at least 10-Ampere-hour batteries. I can get about 25 mile range at 30 mph from a 20-Ampere-hour battery, including some hill riding.

For a given capacity, Lithium-ion batteries are lighter, and can deliver higher current, than most other kinds (others are lead-acid or Nickel-metal-hydride). Li-ion batteries are expensive to buy, though they can take many more charges. Those who are serious about using e-bikes will actually save money in the long run by using Li-ion batteries.

Some states limit e-bike speeds to 20 or even 15 mph. You'll get longer range at those speeds, obviously.

fj1200
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
I'll tell you where I don't like riding a god damn bike: Albany fucking NY. It's all hills, pretty much literally. Every place I go is up hill, and then the uphills on the way back as well because it's so hilly

It must truly suck when it's snowing in July too. :poke:

DragonStryk72
05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
It must truly suck when it's snowing in July too. :poke:

Don't play, that shit has happened! We've all been paranoid up here cause we had such a mild winter. We've been waiting for nature to get us back.