PDA

View Full Version : Flying into New York

Little-Acorn
05-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Looks like I'm going on a business trip into New York City and points east pretty soon.

Is there any advantage in flying into Kennedy, or LaGuardia, or Newark?

Anybody know?

SassyLady
05-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Looks like I'm going on a business trip into New York City and points east pretty soon.

Anybody know?:unsure:

ConHog
05-03-2012, 06:27 PM

Anybody know?

Newark is a shit hole, THE END.

jimnyc
05-03-2012, 07:01 PM

Anybody know?

If you're going to be staying in the City, then LaGuardia would be the best. Much smaller and less busy airport and much easier to get into and out of NYC from there. Kennedy is HUGE and always has delays and good luck driving in and out of there, depending on your arrival time. Con is right, Newark is a shithole - but a taxi/car could also have you in NYC in 20-25mins.

I would shoot for LaGuardia, then Newark.

When are you coming? What part of the City you staying in?

Little-Acorn
05-03-2012, 07:13 PM
If you're going to be staying in the City, then LaGuardia would be the best. Much smaller and less busy airport and much easier to get into and out of NYC from there. Kennedy is HUGE and always has delays and good luck driving in and out of there, depending on your arrival time. Con is right, Newark is a shithole - but a taxi/car could also have you in NYC in 20-25mins.

I would shoot for LaGuardia, then Newark.

When are you coming? What part of the City you staying in?

Actually heading out onto Long Gyland, town of Deer Park. So I won't be in the city longer than it takes to grab the rental car. C'est dommage.

As it happens, I'm bringing the family to the east coast a month or so after this business trip, including a stop in Nyawk where we will be genuine tourists. So I might try to pick up a map or two while I'm there next week.

jimnyc
05-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Actually heading out onto Long Gyland, town of Deer Park. So I won't be in the city longer than it takes to grab the rental car. C'est dommage.

As it happens, I'm bringing the family to the east coast a month or so after this business trip, including a stop in Nyawk where we will be genuine tourists. So I might try to pick up a map or two while I'm there next week.

Oh, then you definitely want to go for LaGuardia, as Newark is much further West and would take more than 2x as long to get to Deer Park. Kennedy is manageable, but again, busy. And try not and arrive at either for rush hour, as you'll be taking the LIE (Long Island Expressway) which is one of the busiest roads in America! LOL

Deer Park is an odd place for a business trip, at least in these parts. It's a very nice, affluent neighborhood, pretty much halfway between NYC and the Hamptons. Nice area though!

Howard Roark
05-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Oh, then you definitely want to go for LaGuardia, as Newark is much further West and would take more than 2x as long to get to Deer Park. Kennedy is manageable, but again, busy. And try not and arrive at either for rush hour, as you'll be taking the LIE (Long Island Expressway) which is one of the busiest roads in America! LOL

Deer Park is an odd place for a business trip, at least in these parts. It's a very nice, affluent neighborhood, pretty much halfway between NYC and the Hamptons. Nice area though!

If 'the Island' is the ultimate destination, wouldn't you suggest Kennedy? Of course, it matters most whether you can get a flight that you prefer.

jimnyc
05-04-2012, 06:58 AM
If 'the Island' is the ultimate destination, wouldn't you suggest Kennedy? Of course, it matters most whether you can get a flight that you prefer.

Similar with no vehicles and no delays.... Kennedy is a MUCH busier airport and much more traffic in that area. He would need to take the Belt Parkway or the Van Wyck... and if it's ANYWHERE near rush hour, well, put your radio on and enjoy the ride!! Distance wise, probably not much different. If arriving at 4am, also not much different. But my preference for an airport is LaGuardia and I think the route would ultimately be quicker for him.

You in the NY area?

Howard Roark
05-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Similar with no vehicles and no delays.... Kennedy is a MUCH busier airport and much more traffic in that area. He would need to take the Belt Parkway or the Van Wyck... and if it's ANYWHERE near rush hour, well, put your radio on and enjoy the ride!! Distance wise, probably not much different. If arriving at 4am, also not much different. But my preference for an airport is LaGuardia and I think the route would ultimately be quicker for him.

You in the NY area?

Bronx boy, living in the mts for decades. I don't fly much, but I opt for Newark due to ease of access. Last few trips I flew out of Scranton. A tiny airport, with no humans to be seen! Again...getting the flight you want can be a challenge.

jimnyc
05-04-2012, 07:11 AM
Bronx boy, living in the mts for decades. I don't fly much, but I opt for Newark due to ease of access. Last few trips I flew out of Scranton. A tiny airport, with no humans to be seen! Again...getting the flight you want can be a challenge.

Jersey boy here, but now in Westchester. I fly in and out of a smaller airport in Westchester, but a much farther drive to LI. Newark used to be my airport of choice when I lived in NJ as it was only about a 20 min drive or so from where I grew up, in Central NJ.

Howard Roark
05-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Jersey boy here, but now in Westchester. I fly in and out of a smaller airport in Westchester, but a much farther drive to LI. Newark used to be my airport of choice when I lived in NJ as it was only about a 20 min drive or so from where I grew up, in Central NJ.

Had to be in La Guardia for a (twice delayed) flight from Houston not long ago. 1 a.m., and homeless people sleeping on the few seats that were available. Everything was closed. It was like a ghost town.

I remember the days of sitting at the gate, looking out the window for your incoming flight to arrive. Now, nobody gets to the gate w/out a boarding pass.

jimnyc
05-04-2012, 09:15 AM
Had to be in La Guardia for a (twice delayed) flight from Houston not long ago. 1 a.m., and homeless people sleeping on the few seats that were available. Everything was closed. It was like a ghost town.

I remember the days of sitting at the gate, looking out the window for your incoming flight to arrive. Now, nobody gets to the gate w/out a boarding pass.

Yep, been there done that. But here's another reason why I love that airport, even if it is from the bar in the lounge area. I flew out of LaGuardia to Pittsburgh in 1998 to go see the Steelers. I hung out in the lounge, drinking and smoking, and accidentally left my expensive Steelers zippo lighter there. Bought a new one while in Pittsburgh. On the way back, I stopped in and figured it couldn't hurt to ask. The same woman was there and remembered, but she didn't have it with her. I gave her my mailing address and 2 days later it arrived!

Howard Roark
05-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Yep, been there done that. But here's another reason why I love that airport, even if it is from the bar in the lounge area. I flew out of LaGuardia to Pittsburgh in 1998 to go see the Steelers. I hung out in the lounge, drinking and smoking, and accidentally left my expensive Steelers zippo lighter there. Bought a new one while in Pittsburgh. On the way back, I stopped in and figured it couldn't hurt to ask. The same woman was there and remembered, but she didn't have it with her. I gave her my mailing address and 2 days later it arrived!

Stories like that are rare, but funny things happen every day. My friend lost a wedding band while vacationing on the beach in Fla.. Gone forever.

Until a guy with a metal detector showed up after my buddy had returned to NY. There was another guy who was hanging out the day my friend lost the ring. He pointed the metal detector dude to the general area, and they found the ring about 14 inches down in the sand.

They mailed him the ring.