PDA

View Full Version : Newspaper Rescinds Endorsement

libertine
05-05-2012, 11:04 AM
I love stories like this one. Glad to see the folks running this paper see birtherism for the idiocy that it is.

Newspaper Rescinds Endorsement After GOP Candidate Goes Birther: ‘He Has Done Nothing But Embarrass Us’

Last week, the The Charlotte Observer endorsed Republican congressional candidate Jim Pendergraph, but quickly backtracked after the candidate joined notorious birther Sheriff Joe Arpaio on the campaign trail, and raised his own doubts about President Obama’s birthplace.

“I have reason to be suspicious,” he said of Obama’s birth certificate. “But I don’t know. I haven’t seen the facts. I think there’s a lot of smoke and generally when there’s smoke there’s got to be fire somewhere.”

The Observer, which originally praised Pendergraph as “conservative” was not pleased, publishing a scathing retraction of its support today for the North Carolina candidate:

After winning the Observer’s endorsement in his bid for Congress, he has done nothing but embarrass us and himself.

By buddying up to one of America’s more hateful egomaniacs and then joining with fringe “birthers” to question President Obama’s citizenship, Pendergraph has contradicted much of what he told the Observer’s editorial board in his endorsement interview last month. As a result, we have lost faith in him, and urge voters to consider Edwin Peacock or Ric Killian in the 9th Congressional District race.

The rest:
http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/05/04/477958/jim-pendergraph-birther/

SassyLady
05-05-2012, 11:10 AM
And to think all this hysteria from both sides could be cleared up seconds if the original document was presented.

libertine
05-05-2012, 11:13 AM
And to think all this hysteria from both sides could be cleared up seconds if the original document was presented.

Yes, what was shown to the SCOTUS and was satisfactory to them isn't enough for the birthers, because they're hysterical. I agree. :laugh:

SassyLady
05-05-2012, 11:17 AM
And those who keep pointing it out are also caught up in the hysteria.

libertine
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM

Those who keep saying he needs to 'produce the original' are hysterical, too - yes, I agree. :cool:

Kathianne
05-05-2012, 11:32 AM

The number of folks that care about any of that stuff are loyal to conservative thinking, but not politically aware that the issue is moot and leaves the left able to ridicule.

The last presidential election effectively made his background of no importance. It's not going to be 'undone' and he will not lose on those issues. Now the 'Julia narrative?' That's interesting for a bit. Insulting to all voters.

Wind Song
05-05-2012, 05:39 PM
Smart move.

Trigg
05-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes, what was shown to the SCOTUS and was satisfactory to them isn't enough for the birthers, because they're hysterical. I agree. :laugh:

how about producing his college records? Do you think the people who want to see that are unreasonable as well?

libertine
05-05-2012, 08:36 PM
how about producing his college records? Do you think the people who want to see that are unreasonable as well?

Yep.

Trigg
05-05-2012, 08:39 PM
Yep.

such a short answer.

Bush produced his, Kerry produced his, in fact I am at a loss to think of a president who hasn't produced his college records in recent years.

Why who you think this is unreasonable??

libertine
05-05-2012, 08:46 PM
such a short answer.

Bush produced his, Kerry produced his, in fact I am at a loss to think of a president who hasn't produced his college records in recent years.

Why who you think this is unreasonable??

I don't spend much time worrying about it. I wasn't concerned about Kerry's or Bush's, either. Obama doesn't need to *prove* anything with his college records, not to me, anyway. Bush's college records did nothing to refute the obvious mediocrity of his insight and oration skills. Obama runs circles around him on both of those fronts, so who cares about his college grades? Only the straw-graspers who are desperate to use anything they can think of to discredit him.

Trigg
05-05-2012, 08:56 PM
I don't spend much time worrying about it. I wasn't concerned about Kerry's or Bush's, either. Obama doesn't need to *prove* anything with his college records, not to me, anyway. Bush's college records did nothing to refute the obvious mediocrity of his insight and oration skills. Obama runs circles around him on both of those fronts, so who cares about his college grades? Only the straw-graspers who are desperate to use anything they can think of to discredit him.

Really? I find college transcripts interresting. It says a lot about a person.

For instance. Kerry was always claiming how stupid Bush was. Until he realeased his college transcripts and it was blatently clear that he was no stellar student either.

bambam's record may explain his mediocrity in understanding the economy for example.

The only thing that I can see you are correct about is bambam is excellent in his oratory skills when his teleprompter is working, otherwise....not so much.

The presidency of transparency (BS), except if you're curious about his college years.

libertine
05-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Really? I find college transcripts interresting. It says a lot about a person.

That's nice.

For instance. Kerry was always claiming how stupid Bush was. Until he realeased his college transcripts and it was blatently clear that he was no stellar student either.

Wow. How fascinating. Kerry's grades weren't great, yet he's smart and articulate. Bush was a mediocre student and spoke like one, too. I'm knocked over by the intrigue.

bambam's record may explain his mediocrity in understanding the economy for example.

That's nice.

The only thing that I can see you are correct about is bambam is excellent in his oratory skills when his teleprompter is working, otherwise....not so much.

Right. The 'teleprompter' meme. :laugh2:

The presidency of transparency (BS), except if you're curious about his college years.

Yawn.

fj1200
05-05-2012, 09:11 PM
Wow. How fascinating. Kerry's grades weren't great, yet he's smart and articulate. Bush was a mediocre student and spoke like one, too. I'm knocked over by the intrigue.

So you're measure of intelligence is that he talk guud?

Trigg
05-05-2012, 09:11 PM

Well at lease you've established yourself as a sheep right up front instead of acting like you care about politics and asking questions.

Yep, who cares that bambam called for transparency and then refused to release his college records LIKE EVERY OTHER POLITICIAN.

Nothing to hide there folks, just move along.
:lame2:
Who care that bambam voted "PRESENT" 130 times during his short stay in the Illinois senate.

Once again, nothing to see here folks, just move along.

libertine
05-05-2012, 09:15 PM
So you're measure of intelligence is that he talk guud?

Among other factors, yes.

Writing well is another. Spelling, too. ;)

SassyLady
05-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Well at lease you've established yourself as a sheep right up front instead of acting like you care about politics and asking questions.

Yep, who cares that bambam called for transparency and then refused to release his college records LIKE EVERY OTHER POLITICIAN.

Nothing to hide there folks, just move along.
:lame2:
Who care that bambam voted "PRESENT" 130 times during his short stay in the Illinois senate.

Once again, nothing to see here folks, just move along.

Oh, you know those elites ... pretending they are intelligent with their words ... not their actions.

Yep, Obama speaks well, but is a crappy leader. You are right Trigg...nothing to see here. Moving along.

fj1200
05-05-2012, 09:21 PM
Among other factors, yes.

Writing well is another. Spelling, too. ;)

So is noting excellent examples of sarcasm. Oh well, I thought you had promise.