PDA

View Full Version : Oprah getting OWNed!

tailfins
05-07-2012, 09:56 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/05/07/losses-at-oprah-winfrey-own-reportedly-approach-330m/?intcmp=features

Should she get stimulus money?

Thunderknuckles
05-07-2012, 10:08 AM
I think I found the underlying problem with OWN. From the link you posted:

"David Zaslav, Discovery Communications' CEO who talked Winfrey into the idea of OWN, is famously impatient with money-losing operations within his company....

Winfrey herself has relatively little money invested in the channel"

So this wasn't Oprah's idea to begin with and it's not her fortune on the line. I suspect things may have turned out a little differently had it been the opposite.

...oh and it's just a crappy station that no one wants to watch :p

Howard Roark
05-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Going from network to cable is a disaster, unless you've got a winner.

Clearly, this wasn't the case. Does Oprah have a show on the network, or did they just rent her name?

Abbey Marie
05-07-2012, 11:46 AM
Talk about someone who needs a lesson in humility.

Thunderknuckles
05-07-2012, 11:54 AM
Going from network to cable is a disaster, unless you've got a winner.

Clearly, this wasn't the case. Does Oprah have a show on the network, or did they just rent her name?
At first I think it was mostly renting her name until things started to tank then she started becoming more active in the network to try and right the course.

Howard Roark
05-07-2012, 11:58 AM
At first I think it was mostly renting her name until things started to tank then she started becoming more active in the network to try and right the course.

People ought to stick with what they do best. She wanted to retire from the talk show circuit. She should've taken her billions, and bought another yacht or two. Although, she didn't have any dogs in this race.

I remember when Pat Sajak was the hottest thing around due to 'Wheel's' fame.

He TANKED when they gave him a talk show.

4horsemenrule
05-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Correct me if I am worng, but isn't Oprah a big supporter of Obama and his policies?

If so, why is she cutting workers and the budget to her business? She should be adding workers, expanding office space, and pumping up the business by spending so she does not go bankrupt

I mean, that is what her guy Obama has been doing for the 3 1/2 years and we are told we are on the road to "recovery"