PDA

View Full Version : Rep trying to end the cell phones for the poor program

Abbey Marie
05-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Unfreakingbelievable. Why are we providing phones at all? What's next? Free cars?

No one likes paying cell phone bills. What if you could get a free phone with a calling plan whose cost was paid by the federal government? What if you could have eight free cell phones? You can, and people do, Rep. Tim Griffin told The Daily Caller. The annual bill runs over $1 billion, and he’s trying to stop it.

The federal government started the Lifeline program to provide phones to low-income Americans. It originally provided only landlines, but cell phones were added several years ago.
“That’s when the program absolutely exploded and has become a nightmare,” Griffin said in a phone interview with TheDC. Calling it “Uncle Sam’s unlimited plan,” the Arkansas Republican has proposed a bill that would scale back the program to its original form: landlines only.
“People are not only getting [one free cell phone], they’re getting multiples. There are reports of people getting 10, 20, 30 — just routinely getting more than one, selling them, storing them up, whatever,” Griffin said.

“And they’re not just phones that are able to dial 911. They’re smartphones. They’re the type of phones that you and I pay hundreds of dollars a month to have contracts for.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/06/ariz-congressman-wants-to-disconnect-1-billion-free-cell-phone-program/#ixzz1uEaVjKR6

SassyLady
05-07-2012, 07:47 PM
Unfreakingbelievable. Why are we providing phones at all? What's next? Free cars?

Another example of wasteful spending due to government bureaucracy.

Abbey Marie
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
Another example of wasteful spending due to government bureaucracy.

...and our gov'ts "Robin Hood" fixation.

Shadow
05-07-2012, 08:21 PM
From article...

Griffin said his constituents have told him about people abusing the government benefit.
“I had someone call me this morning telling me they had somebody who would only work a certain number of hours a week because if they worked too many hours a week then they couldn’t get their government assistance. And that person has multiple cell phones, and gets them new every month with new minutes,” he said, sounding outraged.

This guy obviously is out of touch...he seems shocked and disgusted. This happens all the time...usually with the assistance of the government case workers for all of the assistance programs. People don't have to figure out how to cheat. The case workers TELL them how to fudge their records.

DragonStryk72
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM

I could understand one of the Net10s or other burner phone, get the the cheap ones that are get cleared out, and give those ones out. That makes sense, I mean, if they're gonna go to waste anyway, they could help the poor out. 300 dollar smartphones, though? No, that's just stupid. A cheap Net10 with a $25 card would suffice completely.

ConHog
05-07-2012, 09:06 PM

What the fuck? There are people out there who just don't pay for anything for themselves aren't there?

Howard Roark
05-08-2012, 05:34 AM
I have no problem believing that people find ways to cheat the system. 8 minutes/day isn't going to give people the opportunity to use the phone very much. Seems like a benevolent program, but as usual, there seems to be an implementation problem.

Nevertheless, I'm having trouble believing everything from the OP.

The regulations are here. (http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/FAQs.aspx#faq5)

You can add minutes for a nominal fee. Likewise:

Can I use any Virgin Mobile phone with my Assurance Wireless account?
Selected Virgin Mobile phones may be used with an Assurance Wireless account excluding the Party Animal, Super Model, Blackberry® and Android™models. However, for the best customer experience we encourage you to use the handset sent to you by Assurance Wireless.

Can I use a Blackberry with an Assurance Wireless account?
No, the Blackberry data platform cannot be used with an Assurance Wireless account.

Can I use an Android™ -powered phone with an Assurance Wireless account?
No, an Android™ -powered phone cannot be used with an Assurance Wireless account.

Nukeman
05-08-2012, 07:18 AM
I have no problem believing that people find ways to cheat the system. 8 minutes/day isn't going to give people the opportunity to use the phone very much. Seems like a benevolent program, but as usual, there seems to be an implementation problem.

Nevertheless, I'm having trouble believing everything from the OP.

The regulations are here. (http://www.assurancewireless.com/Public/FAQs.aspx#faq5)

You can add minutes for a nominal fee. Likewise:

Can I use any Virgin Mobile phone with my Assurance Wireless account?
Selected Virgin Mobile phones may be used with an Assurance Wireless account excluding the Party Animal, Super Model, Blackberry® and Android™models. However, for the best customer experience we encourage you to use the handset sent to you by Assurance Wireless.

Can I use a Blackberry with an Assurance Wireless account?
No, the Blackberry data platform cannot be used with an Assurance Wireless account.

Can I use an Android™ -powered phone with an Assurance Wireless account?
No, an Android™ -powered phone cannot be used with an Assurance Wireless account.

The questioon still remains, WHY DO THEY NEED THEM??? if I can't afford a cell phone guess what. I dont have one!! If they can't afford a cell phone they DON'T NEED ONE!! The big problem with the "help" programs and waste in the US is that its no longer about what people NEED its what they WANT... If you are happy supplying cell phones to people that don't NEED them than by all means go to wal-mart and buy a bunch of tracphones and hand them out!!!

The govt should NOT be involved in giving these things to people, if its for safety use than ANY phone will still dial 911 even a deactivated phone!!!

Howard Roark
05-08-2012, 12:17 PM
The questioon still remains, WHY DO THEY NEED THEM??? if I can't afford a cell phone guess what. I dont have one!! If they can't afford a cell phone they DON'T NEED ONE!! The big problem with the "help" programs and waste in the US is that its no longer about what people NEED its what they WANT... If you are happy supplying cell phones to people that don't NEED them than by all means go to wal-mart and buy a bunch of tracphones and hand them out!!!

The govt should NOT be involved in giving these things to people, if its for safety use than ANY phone will still dial 911 even a deactivated phone!!!

When I first read about this last year, I was surprised too. I can see the validity of giving out phones to the elderly. 8 minutes/day is less than most people use on one call. But, if an elderly person breaks down in a car, a cellphone can save a life.

Other than that, I see no reason to hand out phones to people who just happen to qualify for foodstamps.

And I certainly don't believe that the govt. is handing out smartphones to everyone.

Abbey Marie
05-08-2012, 12:30 PM
Now ads for free cell phones are popping up here. :laugh2:

SassyLady
05-08-2012, 01:32 PM
How many elderly people died from broken down cars before cell phones were invented?

Howard Roark
05-08-2012, 02:05 PM
How many elderly people died from broken down cars before cell phones were invented?

Why does that matter?

Thunderknuckles
05-08-2012, 02:07 PM
A land line is OK by me.
No cell phones.

Abbey Marie
05-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Why does that matter?

Sassy is referring to your own post above:

But, if an elderly person breaks down in a car, a cellphone can save a life.

Howard Roark
05-08-2012, 05:08 PM
Sassy is referring to your own post above:

I know that. Why does her question matter? Does an elderly person have to die to make it important?

Would you want your parents stranded somewhere for lack of a cellphone?

We make sure my inlaws have a cellphone. We put them on our acct.

SassyLady
05-08-2012, 05:25 PM
The elderly have survived for decades of broken down cars without cell phones. Once again a liberal tries the "shame on you" approach to justify entitlements to a specific class of people. Unfortunately, the government then expands on the original concept until it no longer resembles the original intent.

ConHog
05-08-2012, 06:22 PM
I know that. Why does her question matter? Does an elderly person have to die to make it important?

No I wouldn't want that, that's why if my parents get to where they can't pay their cell phone bill, I WILL. I won't ask YOU to though.

Missileman
05-08-2012, 06:37 PM
The elderly have survived for decades of broken down cars without cell phones. Once again a liberal tries the "shame on you" approach to justify entitlements to a specific class of people. Unfortunately, the government then expands on the original concept until it no longer resembles the original intent.

Just wait until they start "expanding" healthcare.

Abbey Marie
05-08-2012, 06:50 PM

We all survived for decades without them, didn't we?

You answered your own question- someone privately took care of the situation. Once the government starts using our money to hand out anything, people stop trying to be resourceful or help each other out. It becomes a self-fulfilling entitlement prophecy, one based on robbing from taxpayers.

Abbey Marie
05-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Oh, and I'll bet you that very few of these people are grannys. More likely they are the same people who shop or go to a movie while they talk loudly and constantly into their "free" phones.

I am amazed at how cavalierly liberals are willing to toss around $1 billion. They are like children who still think Dad has a money tree in the back yard.

ConHog
05-08-2012, 07:12 PM
Oh, and I'll bet you that very few of these people are grannys. More likely they are the same people who shop or go to a movie while they talk loudly and constantly into their "free" phones.

I am amazed at how cavalierly liberals are willing to toss around $1 billion. They are like children who still think Dad has a money tree in the back yard.

Was at Wal Mart today and some family was buying a whole pile of groceries , waiting in line and the guy starts bitching b/c he had to pay for his own dog food. Didn't understand why food stamps didn't cover pet.

I guess we have a right to pets as well.

Missileman
05-08-2012, 07:23 PM
Was at Wal Mart today and some family was buying a whole pile of groceries , waiting in line and the guy starts bitching b/c he had to pay for his own dog food. Didn't understand why food stamps didn't cover pet.

I guess we have a right to pets as well.

There was a story on Walton and Johnson this morning about a lady who reported to police that her purse was stolen out of her car. She described the purse as valued at $400, the wallet inside it at $200, claimed the wallet contained $800 in cash...

and all her food stamps.

ConHog
05-08-2012, 07:33 PM
There was a story on Walton and Johnson this morning about a lady who reported to police that her purse was stolen out of her car. She described the purse as valued at $400, the wallet inside it at $200, claimed the wallet contained $800 in cash...

and all her food stamps.

Half the assholes my wife prosecutes are represented by the public defender's office. Half of those drive <3 year old vehicles.

Shadow
05-08-2012, 07:40 PM
We all survived for decades without them, didn't we?

You answered your own question- someone privately took care of the situation. Once the government starts using our money to hand out anything, people stop trying to be resourceful or help each other out. It becomes a self-fulfilling entitlement prophecy, one based on robbing from taxpayers.

Still do too. Last time I got a flat tie I was without a phone...So, I parked in a gas station parking lot and walked inside to borrow their phone. Guess what...they had no problem with that either.

ConHog
05-08-2012, 07:43 PM
Still do too. Last time I got a flat tie I was without a phone...So, I parked in a gas station parking lot and walked inside to borrow their phone. Guess what...they had no problem with that either.

okay I gotta say if my wife had a flat tire and no cell phone she would sit in her vehicle until me or one of the guys in our family found her. LOL

Shadow
05-08-2012, 07:48 PM
okay I gotta say if my wife had a flat tire and no cell phone she would sit in her vehicle until me or one of the guys in our family found her. LOL

I guess I'm just used to fending for myself. I even made my mechanic show me how to change a flat when he showed up. I think I can do it myself next time even. :thumb:

ConHog
05-08-2012, 08:00 PM
I guess I'm just used to fending for myself. I even made my mechanic show me how to change a flat when he showed up. I think I can do it myself next time even. :thumb:

well i can GUARANTEE my wife would never change a flat herself. Hell, she doesn't even fill her own gas tank. Gas, tires, oil changes, those sorts of things are all done by the car fairy.

PostmodernProphet
05-08-2012, 08:41 PM
300 dollar smartphones, though? No, that's just stupid. A cheap Net10 with a $25 card would suffice completely.

hey, its the federal government....we probably pay $300 for a cheap Net10 with a $25 card of minutes.....

ConHog
05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
hey, its the federal government....we probably pay $300 for a cheap Net10 with a $25 card of minutes.....

I'm willing to bet that they pay $40 or more for those 8 minutes. LOL

Meanwhile I have 2 Androids and 2 Iphones with unlimited everything for like $200 a month.

fj1200
05-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Just wait until they start "expanding" healthcare.

Wait? Who needs to wait? :laugh: I really mean :(