PDA

View Full Version : I propose a wholesale change to welfare as we know it

ConHog
05-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Let's face it, we're not going to do away with welfare in this country, and hey, some people actually do need the help, and I have no problem with giving people a helping hand.

Let's do away with foodstamps, free phones, WIC, and all other such programs and just send people a cash payment every month. Now , under this new plan you have to EARN that cash payment by performing some sort of work, even if you're just out sweeping the street for 8 hours a day. BUT there are no income taxes taken out of this money, you keep what you earn . FIgured at the current minimum wage.

You can spend your money on whatever you like, and you can stay on the system however long you would like. .Heck you can even work a full time job and stay on the system if you want (let's face it every community could use lots more clean up and such)

But what you can NOT do is whine about needing more help. Do like the rest of us do, develop a budget and stick to it. You need food? Here's an idea quit smoking... Your kid needs new clothes for school? Hey, don't buy that new video game this month........... etc etc.

After all this you still can't make ends meet. Sorry but my generosity has ran out.

Abbey Marie
05-08-2012, 11:58 AM
It's called workfare, and it would be nice to see it happen. But it is possibly a logistical nightmare, and even though it makes no sense to do so, definitely will be called racist by liberals.

In an economy as bad as this, we get fed up with the handouts much more quickly and viscerally. At the same time, there are those, even currently on this board, for whom no amount of handouts will ever be seen as enough.

fj1200
05-08-2012, 12:24 PM
You can spend your money on whatever you like, and you can stay on the system however long you would like. .Heck you can even work a full time job and stay on the system if you want (let's face it every community could use lots more clean up and such)

That doesn't sound too far off from Milton Friedman's Negative Income Tax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax), although I don't recall all the specifics at the moment.

ConHog
05-08-2012, 12:26 PM
That doesn't sound too far off from Milton Friedman's Negative Income Tax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_income_tax), although I don't recall all the specifics at the moment.

I'm not familiar, but don't take credit for the original idea, that's for sure.

Gator Monroe
05-08-2012, 02:14 PM
No SSI/SSD , food stamps/Card Safety Nets for Recently Arrived "Future Citizenry"