PDA

View Full Version : Tea Party Dead? Lugar Loses

Kathianne
05-08-2012, 07:17 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/richard-mourdock-defeats-sen-dick-lugar-indiana-235126443.html

Dick Lugar, the longest-serving Republican in the Senate, was defeated Tuesday as Indiana Republicans chose state Treasurer Richard Mourdock over Lugar as the party's nominee.

With 37 percent reporting, Mourdock received 60 percent to 40 percent for Lugar in the Hoosier state's Senate primary, marking a huge win for tea party supporters (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/tea-party-second-act-2010-steppingstone-high-water-171024378.html) and conservatives across the country.

Conservatives had long targeted Lugar for defeat, arguing he represented a Republican establishment in Congress that has acquiesced to the Democratic party. They singled out Lugar's votes for the bailouts, in support of the president's stimulus and votes to confirm U.S. Supreme Court nominees Elena Kagan and Sonia Sotomayor (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/sen-dick-lugar-challenger-richard-mourdock-ll-more-211302635.html) as evidence of his "RINO" (Republican in name only) status.

National tea party groups such as FreedomWorks and the Tea Party Express (http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/dick-lugar-spokesman-says-national-tea-party-makes-203146744.html) as well as the state group Hoosiers for a Conservative Senate and others mobilized and invested in the race, casting the contest as a nationally significant battle to restore conservatism and hold leaders of the Republican establishment accountable.

PostmodernProphet
05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
good news....

Little-Acorn
05-08-2012, 10:57 PM
What's with the "TEA Party Dead?" title?

Does anybody believe that, besides a few desperate liberal fanatics?

SassyLady
05-08-2012, 10:59 PM
We had a slew of liberals in here the other day claiming the Tea Party was defunct. Doesn't look that way after all.

logroller
05-08-2012, 11:06 PM
I'm gonna have some strong tea; no sugar though, victory is sweet on its own.:thumb:

Little-Acorn
05-08-2012, 11:22 PM
We had a slew of liberals in here the other day claiming the Tea Party was defunct.

And somebody listened to them??

Doesn't look that way after all.
When did it ever?

November 2010 was just the beginning.

Gator Monroe
05-09-2012, 12:42 AM
North Carolina WINS ! :dance:

05-09-2012, 01:29 AM
What's with the "TEA Party Dead?" title?

Does anybody believe that, besides a few desperate liberal fanatics?

There are alot of liberals and media types pretending it.

I hear the Tea Party is heavy on the ground in Wisconsin with the Walker recall. Should be interesting to see the results.

Trigg
05-09-2012, 04:17 AM
This really has nothing to do with the tea party and everything to do with wanting Lugar out of there. He's 80yrs old and out of touch.

He hardly campaigned at all, I think he knew what was going to happen.

Good riddence, he needed a vacation anyway.

Kathianne
05-09-2012, 05:31 AM
And somebody listened to them??

When did it ever?

November 2010 was just the beginning.

There are many folks around, not just liberals and not just the media that have claimed that since there aren't the 'huge'-which used to be described as 'small and exaggerated' that they lost momentum. They claim they aren't 'effectual' as they were on national level.

What those not involved missed was that it's not a 'party' as in political, it's a movement based on ideas. Those sharing those ideas and ideals have become much more involved at the local and state levels, which is where actual change arises from. There will be quite a few running this year, many more in 2 and 4 years.

Howard Roark
05-09-2012, 06:08 AM
The teaparty may very well have cost Indiana the seat.

Going to be interesting to watch.

Nukeman
05-09-2012, 06:58 AM
The teaparty may very well have cost Indiana the seat.

Going to be interesting to watch.How do you figure that this "cost Indiana the seat"?? Lugar has been a 6 term senator HE DOESNT EVEN LIVE IN INDIANA!! How the F*** can you represent a state you dont even live in and know. He has been a good senator but his time has passed. As a lifelong Hoosier I have to say Lugar voted AGAINST the wishes of his constituents on a number of key issues!! So you play with fire you will get burned (or kicked out of office).

Indiana as a whole is VERY conservative except for a couple of counties that have a tendancy to screw with the state. Lugar thought he could thumb his nose at 90 of the 92 counties in Indiana and stay in office?? Not anymore, His ideals have begun to lean to the left very heavy and he was so out of touch with what has been going on in his "home" state that we decided it was time for him to go.

Do you think that as a state we should keep supporting a person that turns against the very ideals and principals of the majority of said state??? I don't!!!

Howard Roark
05-09-2012, 08:04 AM
How do you figure that this "cost Indiana the seat"?? Lugar has been a 6 term senator HE DOESNT EVEN LIVE IN INDIANA!! How the F*** can you represent a state you dont even live in and know. He has been a good senator but his time has passed. As a lifelong Hoosier I have to say Lugar voted AGAINST the wishes of his constituents on a number of key issues!! So you play with fire you will get burned (or kicked out of office).

Indiana as a whole is VERY conservative except for a couple of counties that have a tendancy to screw with the state. Lugar thought he could thumb his nose at 90 of the 92 counties in Indiana and stay in office?? Not anymore, His ideals have begun to lean to the left very heavy and he was so out of touch with what has been going on in his "home" state that we decided it was time for him to go.

Do you think that as a state we should keep supporting a person that turns against the very ideals and principals of the majority of said state??? I don't!!!

There are issues that Lugar voted on that helped your state. Whereas you know your locality better than I do, Lugar would always win against a dem opponent.

Now, you've got a radical, who...according to some in the state...almost bankrupted you.

As we saw in Delaware/Nevada/Alaska, the teaparty candidate may play well with the base, but it may serve to activate voters who aren't prepared for a radical who believes that legislating isn't about compromise.

As I said, the stage is set for an interesting election there.

Nukeman
05-09-2012, 08:22 AM
There are issues that Lugar voted on that helped your state. Whereas you know your locality better than I do, Lugar would always win against a dem opponent.

Now, you've got a radical, who...according to some in the state...almost bankrupted you.

As we saw in Delaware/Nevada/Alaska, the teaparty candidate may play well with the base, but it may serve to activate voters who aren't prepared for a radical who believes that legislating isn't about compromise.

As I said, the stage is set for an interesting election there.
He is NOT a radical!!! That is the left saying those things. If Mourdock "nearly backrupted" the state than I guess we would have to fault Gov. Mitch Daniels as well!?!?!!? If you look at the fiscal state of of Indiana and its surrounding states you will see that Indiana has become very fiscally sound. Is there room for improvement? YES! Are we doing better than the other industrial states that surround us? YES!

The left LOVED Lugar for the fact that he was for the most part a RINO. He has done good for the state but like I said his time has come. HE didn't even campaign in the state for the primary, or if he did it was VERY LITTLE. What does that say about a sitting US Senator that is being challenged in his "home" state (use that term very loosely) and doesnt even bother to come to it to campaign!?!?!?

Just so you get the fact straight on Mourdock there was a lot of stuff said about him that was untrue, just like most campaigns there is mud slinging to see what will stick, you have the left in full force out to get him and paint him in a bad light because they dont want a conservative representitave from Indiana..

The AAN ad claims that “Hoosier pensions and other funds lost millions” because of Mourdock’s “big bet on junk bonds.” That’s an exaggeration. It’s true that three state funds that purchased Chrysler debt in 2008 lost money when that company went through bankruptcy in 2009. But Mourdock didn’t oversee the investments of the Indiana Teacher’s Retirement Fund, which is the only one that actually lost “millions.”
Ads from both the AAN and the Lugar campaign fault Mourdock for receiving an illegal second homestead deduction on a condominium he purchased in 2006. But the previous owner of the property, not Mourdock, applied for the deduction. Mourdock claimed that he notified the county auditor’s office of the illegal deduction in 2007. And the county auditor’s office has actually said that it erred in not removing the credit.
The AAN ad also says that Mourdock has “skipped 66 percent of his official board meetings.” That’s true, according to an analysis done by Howey Politics Indiana. In his defense, Mourdock’s office says that the treasurer or his designee sits on 13 boards and commissions, and that Mourdock is nearly always represented by a senior staff member when he doesn’t attend meetings personally.

http://www.factcheck.org/2012/04/fouling-lugars-foe/

Howard Roark
05-09-2012, 08:43 AM
He is NOT a radical!!! That is the left saying those things.
Anyone who claims that legislating is about 'war', and not compromise, is a radical.

If Mourdock "nearly backrupted" the state than I guess we would have to fault Gov. Mitch Daniels as well!?!?!!? If you look at the fiscal state of of Indiana and its surrounding states you will see that Indiana has become very fiscally sound. Is there room for improvement? YES! Are we doing better than the other industrial states that surround us? YES!

Passing blame isn't going to change anything. Typical in the teaparty, is the irony of the contradictions. You hail Indiana's industry, but Lugar's approval of the auto bailout is the reason you've rebounded.

Likewise, without the bailout, Mourdock's investment would've yielded 100% loss, instead of app. 50%.

The left LOVED Lugar for the fact that he was for the most part a RINO. He has done good for the state but like I said his time has come. HE didn't even campaign in the state for the primary, or if he did it was VERY LITTLE. What does that say about a sitting US Senator that is being challenged in his "home" state (use that term very loosely) and doesnt even bother to come to it to campaign!?!?!? It seems evident that Lugar wasn't interested in running campaign.

Just so you get the fact straight on Mourdock there was a lot of stuff said about him that was untrue, just like most campaigns there is mud slinging to see what will stick, you have the left in full force out to get him and paint him in a bad light because they dont want a conservative representitave from Indiana..Yes...both sides in any campaign avoid the truth whenever possible.

What I said was, 'this is going to make for an intesting election.' Dems were rooting for Mourdock.

darin
05-09-2012, 08:54 AM
Anyone who claims that legislating is about 'war', and not compromise, is a radical.

Compromise = Lose-lose situation. Within compromise, NOBODY gets what they want. I detest compromise, generally, and especially when it comes to values and things of vital importance to our society. For instance - when Legislator A proposed something terrible for our country, Legislator B had better stand against it.

We have different parties because people have conflicts when it comes to deciding what 'best' means, or even 'healthy'. Those who simply try to appease; those who operate from the perspective:

"I know your proposal is terrible for our society, yet in the name of bi-partisanship, i'll concede to a FEW of your terrible ideas, if you take some of my GOOD ideas"

Are NOT leaders. Those people are spineless, and ultimately they deteriorate the fabric of our nation. Of course - 'choosing one's battles' is a valid perspective to hold.

Howard Roark
05-09-2012, 09:56 AM
Compromise = Lose-lose situation. Within compromise, NOBODY gets what they want. I detest compromise, generally, and especially when it comes to values and things of vital importance to our society. For instance - when Legislator A proposed something terrible for our country, Legislator B had better stand against it.

We have different parties because people have conflicts when it comes to deciding what 'best' means, or even 'healthy'. Those who simply try to appease; those who operate from the perspective:

"I know your proposal is terrible for our society, yet in the name of bi-partisanship, i'll concede to a FEW of your terrible ideas, if you take some of my GOOD ideas"

Are NOT leaders. Those people are spineless, and ultimately they deteriorate the fabric of our nation. Of course - 'choosing one's battles' is a valid perspective to hold.

Our system was set up to assure compromise.

Likewise, there are issues that need drastic change. Without compromise, nothing changes. At least, not for the better.

Look at Indiana. Lugar's being criticized for votes in favor of the auto bailout. Meanwhile, that bailout probably saved Indiana in more ways than one.

logroller
05-09-2012, 10:12 AM

Likewise, there are issues that need drastic change. Without compromise, nothing changes. At least, not for the better.

Look at Indiana. Lugar's being criticized for votes in favor of the auto bailout. Meanwhile, that bailout probably saved Indiana in more ways than one.
Yeaaa, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Our system was set up to assure bad ideas were defeated...if nobody compromised, and every idea were a bad one, nothing would change for the worse. Whereas if both sides compromise on issues which are bad, then bad ideas are put into action. If every idea were a good one, no need to compromise. What compromise promotes is bad ideas, admittedly from a given perspective; but nonetheless, bad ideas. Saying no good comes without compromise...poppycock. The only way good comes from compromise is if one side's perception of a bad idea, was wrong. Our system is remarkably slow to change; but that was by design.

Nukeman
05-09-2012, 11:53 AM

Here's the deal the "auto bail out" is a short term fix, and believe it or not a lot of the primary auto businesses in Indiana have closed up and made ghost towns, Indiana has pushed forward as a "right to work state" the ONLY production industry state to do so, since that vote at the state level Indiana has seen a dramatic influx of non-automobile related jobs. Yes auto has been a big part of Indiana in the past but now its is quickly losing ground in the state.

Indiana has more jobs in the RV industry than any other state, Not to mention the corportate headquarters of the Orthopedic companies and manufactures.

The auto bail out was bullshit, just because they would have filed for bankruptcy does not mean a closure of the company. Unfortunately everyone seems to think that a chapt 11 means shutting down, it doesnt and with the size of the auto industry that WOULD NOT HAVE HAPPENED. It would have left the door open for massive renegotiations with the unions and all the employee to save money instead of giving them money and continue to make the SAME STUPID MISTAKES that put them there in the first place.

I would like to add one more time... HOW CAN A SENATOR REPRESENT A STATE HE DOESNT EVEN LIVE IN??? You guys forget that he hasnt lived in this state for over 20 years yet he enjoys the job of representing us, you all have no idea how much this state has changed in the 20 years he has been gone and neither does he!!!!!!

Gator Monroe
05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
RINOs & Middle Left Republicans are on the Decline ! Conservatisim is Rising ~

Little-Acorn
05-09-2012, 01:10 PM
HOW CAN A SENATOR REPRESENT A STATE HE DOESNT EVEN LIVE IN??? You guys forget that he hasnt lived in this state for over 20 years yet he enjoys the job of representing us, you all have no idea how much this state has changed in the 20 years he has been gone and neither does he!!!!!!

"No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen." - U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 3

Gator Monroe
05-09-2012, 01:15 PM
If Lugar were say 70ish he would pull a Specter / Liebermann/ Paul

Nukeman
05-09-2012, 02:20 PM
"No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen." - U.S. Constitution, Article 1, Section 3This is precisely why he was removed. He "technically" has a "family" farm north of Indianapolis but he doesn't LIVE here and hasn't for over 20 years. EVERY senator and congressmen should be removed if they do not have a full time residence in the state the represent!!!!!!!! PERIOD!!!!!!!!

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Yeaaa, I'm gonna have to go ahead and disagree with you there. Our system was set up to assure bad ideas were defeated...if nobody compromised, and every idea were a bad one, nothing would change for the worse. Whereas if both sides compromise on issues which are bad, then bad ideas are put into action. If every idea were a good one, no need to compromise. What compromise promotes is bad ideas, admittedly from a given perspective; but nonetheless, bad ideas. Saying no good comes without compromise...poppycock. The only way good comes from compromise is if one side's perception of a bad idea, was wrong. Our system is remarkably slow to change; but that was by design.

Well said, as usual.

fj1200
05-13-2012, 08:07 AM

Our system was not set up with a massive central government bureaucracy.

We do have issues that need drastic change and with compromise nothing changes because we continue the slow drift deeper into the morass.

Shadow
05-13-2012, 08:14 AM
We had a slew of liberals in here the other day claiming the Tea Party was defunct. Doesn't look that way after all.

Shhh...that's why they were here claiming victory for the opposition. In bizzaro world...left is right and up is down (at least that is what they want you to believe anyway). ;)