PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout Candy Bars Coming to Retailers From Nestle

Shadow
05-08-2012, 08:08 PM
As if eating too many Girl Scout cookies isn't a tough-enough temptation, here comes a new one: the Girl Scout candy bar.
Tuesday, Nestlé will announce plans to make a limited-edition Nestlé Crunch Girl Scout Candy Bar, to be sold June through September at retailers nationally. It will not be sold door-to-door. Under the licensing agreement with Girl Scouts of the USA, Nestlé will make three candy bars based on classic Girl Scout cookies: Thin Mints, Caramel Coconut and Peanut Butter Crème.

Even with Girl Scout cookie sales and membership on the upswing during the 100th-year celebration, the deal could raise needed funds with tens of millions of bars expected to be sold. But the move is raising eyebrows of nutritionists.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/girl-scout-candy-bars-coming-retailers-nestle/story?id=16302647

logroller
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Is there a brokered a merchandising deal badge now?

Noir
05-08-2012, 08:15 PM
Hopefully it'll flop. Given the number of illegal, immoral, and indefensible history of this company idk why people still buy from it.

Kathianne
05-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Hopefully it'll flop. Given the number of illegal, immoral, and indefensible history of this company idk why people still buy from it.

Huh? Are you confusing the accusations against BSA and GSA?

Noir
05-08-2012, 08:24 PM
Huh? Are you confusing the accusations against BSA and GSA?

...not the scouts, Nestle.

Shadow
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Is there a brokered a merchandising deal badge now?

Well, you gotta roll with the times...so probably. :)

ConHog
05-08-2012, 08:29 PM
Oh good. i was just telling my wife I wish there were even more products out there for us to feel about not purchasing "for the kids"

I mean seriously between my niece and my daughter we have basketball, baseball, choir, girl scouts, soccer, and church ALL wanting to sell us t shirts, candy, cookies, popcorn, magazines............ I mean where does it end?

Shadow
05-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Oh good. i was just telling my wife I wish there were even more products out there for us to feel about not purchasing "for the kids"

I mean seriously between my niece and my daughter we have basketball, baseball, choir, girl scouts, soccer, and church ALL wanting to sell us t shirts, candy, cookies, popcorn, magazines............ I mean where does it end?

You forgot even the school...wrapping paper,candles,pizza kits (which are actually pretty darn good btw)...etc....

I wanna try the GS cookie candy bars...they even had GS cookie blizzards at DQ not too long ago (Thin Mint)

ConHog
05-08-2012, 08:39 PM
You forgot even the school...wrapping paper,candles,pizza kits (which are actually pretty darn good btw)...etc....

I wanna try the GS cookie candy bars...they even had GS cookie blizzards at DQ not too long ago (Thin Mint)

Yes, forgot about the school fund raisers..........

Kathianne
05-08-2012, 08:45 PM

I'm tired of looking for the man or whatever label you wish to assign to those leaders in an industry.

ConHog
05-08-2012, 08:47 PM
I'm tired of looking for the man or whatever label you wish to assign to those leaders in an industry.

Nestle is holding Noir back? Who knew...............:laugh2:

Kathianne
05-08-2012, 08:55 PM
Nestle is holding Noir back? Who knew...............:laugh2:

You do realize you've failed to post a 'funny post.' So you just thing Noir is what?

Noir
05-08-2012, 09:02 PM

...in the past maybe 4 years i've heard as many scandals involving them, e coli out breaks (that they never accounted for, with cookies no less, i wonder if the girl scouts brought that up in their discussions) illegal deals for milk etc, they are just not a good organisation, and they only realise they're doing something wrong when there's public outrage about it, not a company i'd like to fund, and i don't see why anyone else would, nothing to do with 'the man'

DragonStryk72
05-08-2012, 09:13 PM

Edy's makes a thin mint ice cream now.

DragonStryk72
05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
...in the past maybe 4 years i've heard as many scandals involving them, e coli out breaks (that they never accounted for, with cookies no less, i wonder if the girl scouts brought that up in their discussions) illegal deals for milk etc, they are just not a good organisation, and they only realise they're doing something wrong when there's public outrage about it, not a company i'd like to fund, and i don't see why anyone else would, nothing to do with 'the man'

The problem is, Noir, that almost any organization, given 100 years and a worldwide span, is going to have scandals. Should we close the Ronald McDonald house? Yeah, things go off the rails at times, but Girl Scouts is actually teaching girls a number of skills they wouldn't otherwise have, and with Boy Scouts, it gave me a place to fit in, a place I sorely needed growing up. So how many kids like me should be screwed out of all the good because a small portion of the adults are hooting dickholes?

logroller
05-08-2012, 09:20 PM
.I'm fiendish for a thin mint now; I'll take my chances on e coli.

Kathianne
05-08-2012, 09:23 PM
The problem is, Noir, that almost any organization, given 100 years and a worldwide span, is going to have scandals. Should we close the Ronald McDonald house? Yeah, things go off the rails at times, but Girl Scouts is actually teaching girls a number of skills they wouldn't otherwise have, and with Boy Scouts, it gave me a place to fit in, a place I sorely needed growing up. So how many kids like me should be screwed out of all the good because a small portion of the adults are hooting dickholes?

And as far as Noir can produce, it was only accusations, not links to proof.

Noir
05-08-2012, 09:28 PM

...I'm not talking about the scouts, i'm talking about Nestle, and i'm not talking about things that have happened 40, 60, 80 years ago, i'm talking about things that i've read in the news papers since i've been applying to Uni, thats like 5 years at most, and i know some were much more recent than that.

Kathianne
05-08-2012, 09:31 PM
...I'm not talking about the scouts, i'm talking about Nestle, and i'm not talking about things that have happened 40, 60, 80 years ago, i'm talking about things that i've read in the news papers since i've been applying to Uni, thats like 5 years at most, and i know some were much more recent than that.
And all these links are posted in current topics, where? Attack the company or at least question. You're trying to play US politics and not likely to end well.

Shadow
05-08-2012, 09:35 PM
Edy's makes a thin mint ice cream now.

Yummy...I looked it up. They also have Tagalongs and Samoas. :thumb:

Noir
05-08-2012, 09:38 PM
And all these links are posted in current topics, where? Attack the company or at least question. You're trying to play US politics and not likely to end well.

1 - Go to wikipedia
2 - Search Nestle
3 - Read.

If you really want i'll look up news articles for you too, or record a video of me reading the stories out so you don't even have to read the words, much less search for them.

DragonStryk72
05-08-2012, 09:41 PM

Yes, and they also run huge charitable organizations, which will cease to exist when they do. Look it up, they donate to animal groups, girl scouts, so many other organizations, some even of their own creation. So, you wanna be the one to tell those folks they've lost the funding? Yes, companies do shady stuff, it happens, and it's happened for a long time. My thought on it, however, is that it happens far less these days than it used to, for precisely the point that you heard about it. We're all so interconnected these days that companies fear the court of public opinion far more than hitting the inside of the courtroom.

Mr. P
05-08-2012, 09:42 PM
I've made thin mints at home and just DAMN! So good anytime I want them and cheaper too. It's Despicable, I know! So, who wants the recipe? :laugh:

Shadow
05-08-2012, 09:46 PM
I've made thin mints at home and just DAMN! So good anytime I want them and cheaper too. It's Despicable, I know! So, who wants the recipe? :laugh:

Let's have it.

Noir
05-08-2012, 09:47 PM
Yes, and they also run huge charitable organizations, which will cease to exist when they do. Look it up, they donate to animal groups, girl scouts, so many other organizations, some even of their own creation. So, you wanna be the one to tell those folks they've lost the funding? Yes, companies do shady stuff, it happens, and it's happened for a long time. My thought on it, however, is that it happens far less these days than it used to, for precisely the point that you heard about it. We're all so interconnected these days that companies fear the court of public opinion far more than hitting the inside of the courtroom.

I'm sure they do good aswell, and all companies will have some bad in them at some point, but Nestle is an awful offender.

DragonStryk72
05-08-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm sure they do good aswell, and all companies will have some bad in them at some point, but Nestle is an awful offender.

Because they're actually awful, or because it stood out and was reported more than other companies? Nestle is a company that sells to kids, and I hate to say it like this, but that means when they screw up, it is far more likely to make headlines.

Microsoft had a de facto monopoly going for years before the anti-trust laws hit them, and they knew it. Didn't stop them, or even slow them down. Sure, they got broken up, and it was reported, but once it was past, that was it, it was over.

SassyLady
05-08-2012, 09:57 PM

Because we like chocolate!

Noir
05-08-2012, 10:00 PM
Because they're actually awful, or because it stood out and was reported more than other companies? Nestle is a company that sells to kids, and I hate to say it like this, but that means when they screw up, it is far more likely to make headlines.

Microsoft had a de facto monopoly going for years before the anti-trust laws hit them, and they knew it. Didn't stop them, or even slow them down. Sure, they got broken up, and it was reported, but once it was past, that was it, it was over.

Buying milk illegally from Mugabe farms, adding melamine to baby formula, or what about demanding a country payback millions of dollars of debt while that country was going through a serve famine?...All within the last decade and there is of course more.

Noir
05-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Because we like chocolate!

...but so do I.

logroller
05-08-2012, 10:06 PM
...but so do I.
....but we really like chocolate. Like in a I don't care if people die, I've got to have it kinda way.

DragonStryk72
05-09-2012, 12:22 AM
Buying milk illegally from Mugabe farms, adding melamine to baby formula, or what about demanding a country payback millions of dollars of debt while that country was going through a serve famine?...All within the last decade and there is of course more.

Except there isn't much the US can do about those crimes, as they weren't in our country, and putting hundreds of thousands out of work in this economy? You might as well hand every employee a gun with a single bullet in it. Meanwhile, the ones running it will see almost no real recompence, and have their golden parachutes. they'll go on to be in other companies, and make more money. However, you also don't mention whether or not they're actually guilty of these things, only that they've been accused.

For instance, McDonald's cleaned up its food act, and they still take shit for the same exact things, no matter that they did everything people wanted them to do. Hell, even their coffee is organic now, and the burgers are actual beef, they even gave healthier options for the kids food, and started using regular white meat chicken for their nuggets. And they still take shit for the burgers not being beef, no healthy options for happy meals, and the chicken nuggets are made out of leftovers instead of white meat chicken.

logroller
05-09-2012, 01:12 AM
^Now I want chicken mcnuggets.

Shadow
05-09-2012, 07:54 AM

Sassy...I think Mr. P is going to try and surprise up with vulgarity now. :coffee:

Mr. P
05-09-2012, 08:00 AM
Recipe posted in food section.

Noir
05-09-2012, 08:05 AM
Except there isn't much the US can do about those crimes, as they weren't in our country, and putting hundreds of thousands out of work in this economy? You might as well hand every employee a gun with a single bullet in it. Meanwhile, the ones running it will see almost no real recompence, and have their golden parachutes. they'll go on to be in other companies, and make more money. However, you also don't mention whether or not they're actually guilty of these things, only that they've been accused.

For instance, McDonald's cleaned up its food act, and they still take shit for the same exact things, no matter that they did everything people wanted them to do. Hell, even their coffee is organic now, and the burgers are actual beef, they even gave healthier options for the kids food, and started using regular white meat chicken for their nuggets. And they still take shit for the burgers not being beef, no healthy options for happy meals, and the chicken nuggets are made out of leftovers instead of white meat chicken.

Is there much the US judicial system can do? No, is there much a consumer can do? Yes. I don't care much for the 'too big to fail' arguments either, i and no one else should feel obligated to buy from a company because if that company fails jobs will be lost.

As for McDs, they may be doing the right things now, but they created the problems in the first place, if they're still paying for the choices they made then thats a consequence of their actions.

ConHog
05-09-2012, 08:34 AM

Nestle loaned a COUNTRY money?

Noir
05-09-2012, 08:46 AM
Nestle loaned a COUNTRY money?

Nestle bought a company that was owed debts, and demanded it back during a famine...

Retreat by Nestle on Ethiopia's $6m debt

Nestle, the world's largest coffee company, was forced into a humiliating climbdown yesterday after a wave of public outrage greeted its demand for a $6m (£3.7m) payment from the government of famine stricken Ethiopia.The company promised to invest any money it receives from Ethiopia back in the country after receiving thousands of emails of protest in response to the story in yesterday's Guardian.

At an emergency meeting in its Swiss HQ last night, senior executives were mulling over the public relations damage. The claim represents about an hour's turnover for a company which posted sales of $59.36bn and pre-tax profits of $6.15bn last year.

Nestle - fearing a consumer boycott of its products across Europe - is considering donating some of the money it is demanding to help feed the 11 million Ethiopians who face starvation in coming months.

Campaigners last night repeated their call for the company to abandon its claim entirely. "I hope that Nestle reconsiders and realises they don't need the money as much as Ethiopia. I hope they drop the issue altogether," said Sophia Tickell, senior policy analyst at Oxfam.

However, Nestle was still insisting yesterday that it would benefit Addis Ababa to pay compensation for a company nationalised by a previous military government 27 years ago. The firm's German owners were bought by Nestle in 1986.

"It is in the Ethiopian government's interest to reach a deal as a way to ensure continued flows of foreign direct investment in the country," said Francois Perroud, a company spokesman. "We are flexible about the timing and the amount but we are not flexible about the principle."

The Ethiopian government has offered all it can afford in settlement - just $1.5mil

Ethiopia is in the grip of a drought threatening 11 million with starvation. Some aid agencies have warned that looming food shortages could be worse than the devastating famine which killed a million people in 1984.

Read the rest here - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/dec/20/marketingandpr.debtrelief

ConHog
05-09-2012, 09:47 AM

McDonalds IS shit. I hate eating there.

logroller
05-09-2012, 10:16 AM
McDonalds IS shit. I hate eating there.

Except the nuggets; those things a great.

ConHog
05-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Blech..

We have this little mom and pop joint here in my local town that makes the best chicken strips I've ever had anywhere. $9 and it is ALL you can eat in one meal. Forget McDonalds.

logroller
05-09-2012, 10:59 AM
McNuggets are
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-X86MkfH8oOU/TgKM5Wv5ssI/AAAAAAAADwo/nd9y3JpLel0/s400/tony_tiger_grrrreat_sm.jpg

Mr. P
05-09-2012, 06:03 PM

They have a very good Southern style Chicken sandwich , solid white meat too.