PDA

View Full Version : What makes your day?

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 10:04 AM
Yesterday, I stopped by our local elementary school to put in an application for a position this fall and say hello to the staff. School was about to let out. CJ, aged 7, saw me and ran at top speed into my arms, followed by thirty or forty other children. I was in this group hug five or six kids deep in each direction.

The kids wanted to know why I wasn't working there, and I explained that I'd had a contract for a specific length of time and that I was applying for a new job there at the school.

I ended up staying a couple hours, being with the afterschool kids helping with homework and I filled out my application and talked to the kids about what skills they need to have to apply for a job.

"Brandon", aged 8, decided to write me a "reference letter". It reads thus:

"Dorothy is the best teacher I know and deserves this job! I give her five stars out of five." (He drew five stars and a thumbs up)

Brandon

darin
05-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Yesterday, I stopped by our local elementary school to put in an application for a position this fall and say hello to the staff. School was about to let out. CJ, aged 7, saw me and ran at top speed into my arms, followed by thirty or forty other children. I was in this group hug five or six kids deep in each direction.

The kids wanted to know why I wasn't working there, and I explained that I'd had a contract for a specific length of time and that I was applying for a new job there at the school.

I ended up staying a couple hours, being with the afterschool kids helping with homework and I filled out my application and talked to the kids about what skills they need to have to apply for a job.

"Brandon", aged 8, decided to write me a "reference letter". It reads thus:

"Dorothy is the best teacher I know and deserves this job! I give her five stars out of five." (He drew five stars and a thumbs up)

Brandon

while I think you made up that story...

Here's what makes my day:

usefulness. things that aren't self-serving; such as bragging about myself (see OP for example of self-promotion). Doing good in secret. Reading people and helping them find ways to help themselves.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Tell me why you think I made up the story? I'm holding the letter in my hand now. I'm really interested in why you think this way about me.

darin
05-10-2012, 10:22 AM
I think you are broken, emotionally. You seek attention and positive re-enforcement at all costs. When faced with different opinions; especially those which cast YOUR views in a bad light, your ego can't adequately cope with the challenge. self-reflection is an art you hate because it shows hurt. You're self-centered. Ego-driven. You remind me of somebody who was either emotionally neglected OR emotionally fattened to the point anything that tears at your self-built tower of elitism; ANYTHING that even HINTS you are less than whole bothers you. That bothers you SO MUCH it drives you to create stories of how awesome you are.

WS, you CAN get help. You CAN get past your ego-obsession. Whatever pain caused you by those in authority over you, while you were young, CAN be erased. You can choose healthy behaviours and positive mental attitudes. I really hate seeing you so hurt. It's like watching a bird with a broken wing. You could FLY if you faced your problems and found help.

Thus -because I hold that view of you, your stories ring hollow.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 10:23 AM
Yes, that's why you're not worth the time of day. You can't tell truth from falsity. Here is a thread to share "what makes your day?" and all you're doing is being negative. Sad.

Today I have the Heating and Airconditioning guy over to fix my swamp cooler. His daughter attends the school. Everytime I see this guy he tells me how much I helped his daughter come out of her shell.

"Amber" was mute for her entire kindergarten year. The first person she talked to was me. Every day I would address her by name and attend to her in the classroom. Her parents had a nasty divorce and her mother was in alcohol rehab. This was a very sad little girl living with her overwhelmed single dad father of two.

Amber is now finishing second grade. She talks like a chatterbox and is very popular.

I'm so happy working with children and very good with them.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Being at a store, or walking down the road, or driving, or biking, or at the gym - and seeing a very healthy pair of boobies. Like puppies and kittens, always brings a smile. :)

darin
05-10-2012, 10:29 AM
Yes, that's why you're not worth the time of day. You can't tell truth from falsity. Here is a thread to share "what makes your day?" and all you're doing is being negative. Sad.

Today I have the Heating and Airconditioning guy over to fix my swamp cooler. His daughter attends the school. Everytime I see this guy he tells me how much I helped his daughter come out of her shell.

"Amber" was mute for her entire kindergarten year. The first person she talked to was me. Every day I would address her by name and attend to her in the classroom. Her parents had a nasty divorce and her mother was in alcohol rehab. This was a very sad little girl living with her overwhelmed single dad father of two.

Amber is now finishing second grade. She talks like a chatterbox and is very popular.

I'm so happy working with children and very good with them.

Does your arm get sore from patting yourself on the back so much?

Noir
05-10-2012, 10:30 AM
usefulness. things that aren't self-serving; such as bragging about myself (see OP for example of self-promotion). Doing good in secret. Reading people and helping them find ways to help themselves.

Serving others is serving yourself, when someone tells you what they've done for others we find it egotist and self praising if we don't like them, or admirable and worthy of praise if we do like them.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm sharing my joy. Why not?

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Serving others is serving yourself, when someone tells you what they've done for others we find it egotist and self parsing if we don't like them, or admirable and worthy of praise if we do like them.

Exactly. In Buddhism, we call this attachment and aversion. We exaggerate the positive qualities and we minimize the negative qualities of people we like. We do the reverse with people we don't like. We exaggerate their negative qualities and ignore or minimize their positive qualities.

darin
05-10-2012, 10:37 AM
Serving others is serving yourself, when someone tells you what they've done for others we find it egotist and self praising if we don't like them, or admirable and worthy of praise if we do like them.

Christians value humility over self-promotion or congratulations. Indeed, serving others helps the servant as much or more than the person getting the help/whatever. Advertising our good deeds serves ONLY self; it's purely ego-driven or a cry for attention.

I do good stuff sometimes. Sometimes I bring that to the board.

logroller
05-10-2012, 10:49 AM
This isn't so serious, but it really is a feel good moment that makes the rest of my day brighter:
Finding money in my pocket; Even if it's a dollar and some change. When I put on a pair of pants or a jacket I haven't worn in a while; as I reach into a pocket and there's that moment when i realize it's not a receipt-- I think it's better than blackjack.

Noir
05-10-2012, 10:53 AM
Christians value humility over self-promotion or congratulations. Indeed, serving others helps the servant as much or more than the person getting the help/whatever. Advertising our good deeds serves ONLY self; it's purely ego-driven or a cry for attention.

I do good stuff sometimes. Sometimes I bring that to the board.

Midly ironic that the above posts talk about you being a Christian of humility is, erm, congratulating yourself, no? Saying that you are humble is advertising yourself and (while i would not say a cry for attention) couldn't not be ego driven

(Though this irony is by no means your fault, it is at the core of a philosophy that wants you to be both proselytising and positive about your life because of that philosophy, when that philosophy also has one of its 'positive' attributes - being humble.)

Its like the man who bought the watch which was in no way outlandish, noticeable, or different, but purely in good taste. Which he then has to explain is why he bought the watch.

darin
05-10-2012, 11:00 AM
Midly ironic that the above posts talk about you being a Christian of humility is, erm, congratulating yourself, no? Saying that you are humble is advertising yourself and (while i would not say a cry for attention) couldn't not be ego driven

(Though this irony is by no means your fault, it is at the core of a philosophy that wants you to be both proselytising and positive about your life because of that philosophy, when that philosophy also has one of its 'positive' attributes - being humble.)

Its like the man who bought the watch which was in no way outlandish, noticeable, or different, but purely in good taste. Which he then has to explain is why he bought the watch.

I didn't say I'm humble (and proud of it). I said "Humility is important to Christians". :)

I'm saying I tend to not brag about my extensions of good-will lest it be perceived as self-promoting. I don't share the philosophy of or requiring me to proselytize. I think my life is my witness to whatever it is I've found that sustains me. Make sense?

I understand you, I think, in this regard. It's akin to saying "I am modest and damn proud of it!" :)

:cheers:

Noir
05-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I didn't say I'm humble (and proud of it). I said "Humility is important to Christians". :)

I'm saying I tend to not brag about my extensions of good-will lest it be perceived as self-promoting. I don't share the philosophy of or requiring me to proselytize. I think my life is my witness to whatever it is I've found that sustains me. Make sense?

I understand you, I think, in this regard. It's akin to saying "I am modest and damn proud of it!" :)

:cheers:

Yes but when you say that someone else isn't being humble, and make a show about why, calling them an egotist, attention seeker, anti-chritian and so forth, then you're saying that's not what you are, unless you are all of those things that you posted about being bad. Its a maze of irony and as soon as you call someone else out on it you throw yourself into the pit too.

darin
05-10-2012, 11:12 AM
Yes but when you say that someone else isn't being humble, and make a show about why, calling them an egotist, attention seeker, anti-chritian and so forth, then you're saying that's not what you are, unless you are all of those things that you posted about being bad. Its a maze of irony and as soon as you call someone else out on it you throw yourself into the pit too.

not even close, Noir. Acknowledging selfish behaviour - or self-centered posting - or self-congratulation is NOT doing the same thing. When I say "You have a massive beard" (back when you did) does NOT mean "I don't need to shave, too!"

:)

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 11:15 AM
What's makes your day?

For me, it's hearing and knowing that I've made a positive difference in someone's life. It's knowing in the deepest part of my being that I've exchanged love with another living being.

darin
05-10-2012, 11:33 AM
What's makes your day?

For me, it's hearing and knowing that I've made a positive difference in someone's life. It's knowing in the deepest part of my being that I've exchanged love with another living being.

Now THAT, bro...THAT is a great thing. Well-said and I agree.

Little-Acorn
05-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I think you are broken, emotionally. You seek attention and positive re-enforcement at all costs. When faced with different opinions; especially those which cast YOUR views in a bad light, your ego can't adequately cope with the challenge. self-reflection is an art you hate because it shows hurt. You're self-centered. Ego-driven. You remind me of somebody who was either emotionally neglected OR emotionally fattened to the point anything that tears at your self-built tower of elitism; ANYTHING that even HINTS you are less than whole bothers you. That bothers you SO MUCH it drives you to create stories of how awesome you are.

WS, you CAN get help. You CAN get past your ego-obsession.... You can choose healthy behaviours and positive mental attitudes. I really hate seeing you so hurt. It's like watching a bird with a broken wing. You could FLY if you faced your problems and found help.

Yes, that's why you're not worth the time of day.

That's why one of you is not worth the time of day.

tailfins
05-10-2012, 02:39 PM
Fixing something "hopelessly" broken makes my day.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 02:49 PM
Fixing something "hopelessly" broken makes my day.

Realizing at some point that hopelessly broken cannot be fixed, makes my day. :)

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 02:59 PM
Being valued as human, makes my day. Seeing people for the imperfect humans they are, makes my day. Knowing I have an unlimited capacity to love and be loved makes my day.

ConHog
05-10-2012, 03:02 PM
Seeing my wife's beautiful face at the beginning and the end of every day.

It's an easy thing to take for granted. Unless you've spent time waking up to and going to sleep with sand or something as your companion.

ConHog
05-10-2012, 03:03 PM
while I think you made up that story...

Here's what makes my day:

come no dude, this is the lounge, can't you just let her have one once in awhile?

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 03:10 PM
come no dude, this is the lounge, can't you just let her have one once in awhile?

Every time I tell a true story about my life he calls me a liar. It's tiresome. I've posted sad things, (the dog dying), I've posted neutral things, (the status of the weather) and I've posted controversial views on many topics.

This is supposed to be light hearted and fun. Sharing what makes you happy. What really makes your day?

Today I rode my bike along the river, the sun is shining, yet it's not hot yet, it's perfect weather and I live in the mountains.

ConHog
05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
Every time I tell a true story about my life he calls me a liar. It's tiresome.

Meh, I LOVE to flame to, so I'm not getting between you and Darin. Just saying sheesh even in the lounge?

PS - Who gives a shit if he calls you a liar? For all you know Darin is a chick who's avatar is a picture of a dog she ate for dinner last night.... I mean who knows.

tailfins
05-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Realizing at some point that hopelessly broken cannot be fixed, makes my day. :)

Notice that I said something, not someone. I enjoy using a soldering iron. It's really satisfying to have something that won't work, find a bad circuit and then it works. I've never tried using a soldering iron on SOMEONE that doesn't work, but I guess it could be done.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Notice that I said something, not someone. I enjoy using a soldering iron. It's really satisfying to have something that won't work, find a bad circuit and then it works. I've never tried using a soldering iron on SOMEONE that doesn't work, but I guess it could be done.

Oh, my bad - and I would imagine it's easier to get along with a soldering iron than some people in this day and age. :)

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 03:50 PM
My workman for the swamp cooler just left. Again, he thanked me for how I helped his young daughter. I'm taking the girls this weekend to a Country and Garden Fair. It's a great today. I'm getting a lot done.

Feeling relaxed, happy and peaceful.

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 01:15 AM
This isn't so serious, but it really is a feel good moment that makes the rest of my day brighter:
Finding money in my pocket; Even if it's a dollar and some change. When I put on a pair of pants or a jacket I haven't worn in a while; as I reach into a pocket and there's that moment when i realize it's not a receipt-- I think it's better than blackjack.

I love it when bills (not coins) turn up in the wash. They are so clean and I always feel like it's the pot at the end of the rainbow....looking down in that tub and seeing a little bit of green and white. Wooohoooo!

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 01:28 AM
What makes my day every day is when my puppy dog (mini-schnauzer) convinces me to go outside and play with him. He's very patient ... he just stands there patiently looking at me to open the door. Then when I open it .... he turns around and looks at me like "hey, aren't you coming out too?". So, I go out and he starts huffing and puffing and runs to his "tug-o-war" rope hanging on the tree and starts growling and pulling on it looking at me with a "hey, this is really fun, but will be even more fun if you come over here and tug with me!"

When I finally give in and get down on the lawn and he gets so excited that he runs over and tackles me. We roll around for a while, play chase, and see who can catch the ball as it rolls off the roof.....

Helps me get through a really tough day.

logroller
05-11-2012, 04:41 AM
I love it when bills (not coins) turn up in the wash. They are so clean and I always feel like it's the pot at the end of the rainbow....looking down in that tub and seeing a little bit of green and white. Wooohoooo!
Money laundering sassy...your secret's safe with me; for a cut of the action.;)

darin
05-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Today I speak to 60 child-care providers. Conflict resolution and effective communication.

So - right this minute, THIS would make my day:

http://www.wegmans.com/prodimg/043/200/086767210043.jpg

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 05:23 AM
Money laundering sassy...your secret's safe with me; for a cut of the action.;)

If you leave your pants here, with money in the pockets....it's finders keepers!! :coffee:

darin
05-11-2012, 05:26 AM
If you leave your pants here, with money in the pockets....it's finders keepers!! :coffee:

If I was over at your place...and my pants were off...you'd be too busy to notice whats in the pockets.

<3

logroller
05-11-2012, 05:29 AM
If I left my pants there, I've probably already a piece of the action.:laugh:

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 05:31 AM
If I was over at your place...and my pants were off...you'd be too busy to notice whats in the pockets.

<3

What? Are you going to teach me to do the Argentine Tango?

:hyper:

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 05:33 AM
If I left my pants there, I've probably already a piece of the action.:laugh:

:dancer:

logroller
05-11-2012, 05:33 AM
Somewhere there's a joke to had re: a roll of quarters in the pocket.

darin
05-11-2012, 05:35 AM
What? Are you going to teach me to do the Argentine Tango?

:hyper:

I'd introduce Russell the Wanderer to your Cave of Wonder.

I'd march my Soldier into your Harbor of Love.

I'd slip my Goldenrod into your Sugar Basin.

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 06:52 AM
I'd introduce Russell the Wanderer to your Cave of Wonder.

I'd march my Soldier into your Harbor of Love.

I'd slip my Goldenrod into your Sugar Basin.

Whip cream and honey on the cantaloupes.

Oh, forgot to mention, I already put my pants on to wash. Cleaning house waiting for you.

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 06:54 AM
God, it's fun to be single again!!!!

Looks like I'll end up doing more laundry as a single woman than I did when I was married.

Definitely going to learn to dance and play soldier with Russell.

SassyLady
05-11-2012, 06:56 AM
Somewhere there's a joke to had re: a roll of quarters in the pocket.

Leave the roll at the front door ... good for feng shui...helps bring riches to my door.

logroller
05-11-2012, 07:00 AM
Now that would make my day...well, minutes really. I need to wash my pants now.

logroller
05-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Leave the roll at the front door ... good for feng shui...helps bring riches to my door.
The only thing I know about feng shui is don't sleep with your feet towards water. Ironically, what I was inferring with a roll of quarters is also better when not pointed at my feet, but rather, better when pointed at something wet.