PDA

View Full Version : Ugandan GLTB sue American Evangelical for "Kill Gays" Legislation

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 03:37 PM
On March 14, Sexual Minorities Uganda (SMUG) filed a U.S. federal lawsuit against American Minister Scott Lively using the Alien Torts Statute (http://ccrjustice.org/learn-more/faqs/factsheet%3A-alien-tort-statute). SMUG accuses Lively of collaborating with four named Ugandan co-conspirators (conservative evangelicals Martin Ssempa and Stephen Langa, MP David Bahati, and the former Minister of Ethics and Integrity James Buturo) to create an enabling environment for persecution and violence against gays and lesbians in Uganda.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/7699/u-s-culture-wars-gone-global-the-american-evangelical-behind-the-kill-the-gays-bill-in-uganda

The current 2012 draft of the Bill has dropped capital sentencing but reportedly still seeks to expand criminal penalties for homosexuality from 14 years to life in prison.

Abbey Marie
05-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Based on the number of threads on the subject, one might think this board is turning gay.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Based on the number of threads on the subject, one might think this board is turning gay.

I wish we had more gay and lesbian posters, more people of color, more liberals here. I wish you were happy.

tailfins
05-10-2012, 03:42 PM
I wish we had more gay and lesbian posters, more people of color, more liberals here. I wish you were happy.

You can buy gay and lesbian posters in Provincetown.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Reminds me of Iran. People think we hate gays here because we want marriage to remain between a man and a woman. Try being a queer in Iran or Saudi Arabia and see how long your head remains on your shoulders. :laugh2:

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 03:48 PM
American organizations in Africa have entered a cultural war between Christians and Muslims, each seeking to appear more pious (read: more intolerant) than the other. For example, American missionaries wrote and promoted Uganda’s nefarious “Kill the Gays” bill, introduced yet again this year, which would make being gay a capital offense, and supported a campaign of media-orchestrated violence, including one newspaper displaying photographs of LGBT people and calling for their murder. In at least one case, that of Ugandan activist David Kato, they got what they wanted; Kato was murdered early last year (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/28/world/africa/28uganda.html). Some may cluck their tongues at these “backward” nations, but the hatred they evince is actually as American as Coca-Cola.
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/05/could-an-african-lgbt-activist-win-the-nobel-peace-prize.html

Abbey Marie
05-10-2012, 04:02 PM

I've sure seen this before- someone moves into a neighborhood full of people different from them, then immediately complains that there aren't more people like them.

Btw, how do you know what color people are? Most avis aren't photos of ourselves.

Am I black or white?

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:04 PM
I've sure seen this before- someone moves into a neighborhood full of people different from them, then immediately complains that there aren't more people like them.

Btw, how do you know what color people are? Most avis aren't photos of ourselves.

Am I black or white?

I see. Not welcome in the neighborhood am I? This is NOT a very diverse board and you know it.

tailfins
05-10-2012, 04:06 PM
I see. Not welcome in the neighborhood am I? This is NOT a very diverse board and you know it.

I welcome you. However, it may take me awhile to answer your posts. It's hard to laugh and type at the same time.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Stop with your bullshit. People not agreeing with gay marriage doesn't mean the board isn't diverse. You blame the "board" when you can't articulate yourself and you blame the board because people don't agree with you. And then when people do agree with you, you make up shit that they said so that you can lump them into the "bad crowd" and then whine about the board not being diverse.

In other words, you are becoming more and more transparent.

logroller
05-10-2012, 04:07 PM

Am I black or white?

Trick question. You're red. Did I get it right?

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM
White white white. Straight. Right wing. Christian. Predominantly.

Abbey Marie
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM

Seriously, I've never seen anyone who can twist words quite like you.

How exactly does one go from the actor: "You are complaining about the neighborhood", to the victim: "You aren't welcome in the neighborhood", based on nothing?

I claim we are a diverse board. If we are not diverse enough for you, that's your problem.

Abbey Marie
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Better red than dead! :laugh:

tailfins
05-10-2012, 04:11 PM

Interesting response. She didn't say whether or not she was referring to her rear end.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Seriously, I've never seen anyone who can twist words quite like you.

How exactly does one go from the actor: "You are complaining about the neighborhood", to the victim: "You aren't welcome in the neighborhood", based on nothing?

I claim we are a diverse board. If we are not diverse enough for you, that's your problem.

Yeah, tell me how diverse we are here.

Abbey Marie
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM

Tell me the race, etc., of everyone here. You obviously know.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 04:14 PM

SWOOSH, right over your head again. Why make sense and try to understand when you can be a victim? :lol:

tailfins
05-10-2012, 04:15 PM

We don't strive for diversity; we strive for excellence!

We're a race to the finish.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:16 PM

No, I don't know, but I can from your views how white bread they are.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Give certain queers all expense paid trips to Uganda and Iran. :lol:

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Give certain queers all expense paid trips to Uganda and Iran. :lol:

Hate speech.

tailfins
05-10-2012, 04:21 PM
Hate speech.

Which would be a crime if you had your way.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:23 PM
Which would be a crime if you had your way.

Wrong.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 04:24 PM
Hate speech.

Nope, notice I said "all expense paid". It's a gift!

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:25 PM
Nope, notice I said "all expense paid". It's a gift!

It's a veiled death threat and you know it. No censorship here.

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 04:27 PM
It's a veiled death threat and you know it.

And we'll even let a few underwear bombers fly the planes!! :lol:

Threat? You're fucking dumber than anyone here has imagined.

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Fantasize about "certain queers" getting tortured or killed in Iran, do you Jim?

jimnyc
05-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Fantasize about "certain queers" getting tortured or killed in Iran, do you Jim?

Just "certain" ones. And I do think killing may go a bit too far. Maybe waterboarding? :dunno:

Wind Song
05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
Just "certain" ones. And I do think killing may go a bit too far. Maybe waterboarding? :dunno:

I know you're kidding, but it's still freaking me out. Please stop it.

Nukeman
05-10-2012, 07:03 PM
Have you EVER gone to a site that is predominately black?? If not maybe you should go hang out at one for a while and see what they think of you as a white person or even a white gay person. Guarantee you its NOT favorable!!!!

Nukeman
05-10-2012, 07:29 PM
Heck WS I will give you a very typical "black oriented" website. www.destee.com Try that one for a while, oh and be sure and announce yourself as a gay white person who feels their pain!!!!!!

Howard Roark
05-10-2012, 08:08 PM
Reminds me of Iran. People think we hate gays here because we want marriage to remain between a man and a woman. Try being a queer in Iran or Saudi Arabia and see how long your head remains on your shoulders. :laugh2:

Well, we aren't in Iran. And I don't think 'hate' applies to those who choose to meddle in the affairs of others.

Typically, it's more about not wanting to get one's own house in order...choosing to meddle in the affairs of others.

It'd be best if the personal affairs of 'others', stayed personal. I keep hearing about 'small govt', yet I don't see any evidence of same by those making the most noise about it.

Little-Acorn
05-10-2012, 08:20 PM

On the contrary, this is a VERY diverse board, with viewpoints from every point of the compass, wide ranges of experience, and vastly differing attitudes.

You seem to have achieved the difficult feat of saying such silly, twisted, ridiculous, and insulting things to so many of them, that you have managed to unanimously disgust and drive away EVERY one of these highly diverse members, regardless of their viewpoint or background.

Now, whose fault do you suppose that is?

Little-Acorn
05-10-2012, 08:31 PM
BTW, I haven't read the whole thread, since it seems to have turned into yet another WindSong everybody-is-being-so-mean-to-me whinefest.

But does it contain anywhere, an explanation why this small Ugandan fringe group is suing a bunch of foreigners for something Uganda's own legislature did?

Nukeman
05-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Well, we aren't in Iran. And I don't think 'hate' applies to those who choose to meddle in the affairs of others.

Typically, it's more about not wanting to get one's own house in order...choosing to meddle in the affairs of others.

It'd be best if the personal affairs of 'others', stayed personal. I keep hearing about 'small govt', yet I don't see any evidence of same by those making the most noise about it.
Well the way I see it the folks who are for the gay marriage are meddling in MY and others houses don't you think. They are by the very effort to change the meaning of marriage throwing their agenda in the house of everyone that does not agree with their stance. Last I checked it wasn't the folks against gay marriage bringing the legislature forward, it is the gays demanding a law be passed, so who is seeking MORE govt? the gays or the ones opposed? Who makes the most nois about gay marriage? most who are opposed to it don't even mention it UNTIL the gays start demanding marriage rights, so who's making the noise???

When a person RESPONDS to an attack on their fundamental beliefs that is not them making noise that is them defending their beliefs the ones DEMANDING are the ones making the noise and meddling in others affairs, or do you only see the ones opposed to gays marrying as the ones in the wrong??

logroller
05-11-2012, 03:35 AM
White white white. Straight. Right wing. Christian. Predominantly.
Are we still talking about Uganda?

No, I don't know, but I can from your views how white bread they are.

I'm a whole wheat guy.

Abbey Marie
05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
Are we still talking about Uganda?

I'm a whole wheat guy.

I just had an egg sandwich on pumpernickel. :eek:

logroller
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
I just had an egg sandwich on pumpernickel. :eek:
Pumpernickel huh... Love me an egg sandwich; never tried pumpernickel before. I used to bake my own bread; pumpernickel had to cook for over half a day.

Did you here about the African themed party; there's no food and you have to walk 12 miles for water.