PDA

View Full Version : Justice Department to Sue Sheriff Joe Arpaio

jimnyc
05-11-2012, 11:23 AM
So Sheriff Joe racially profiles, but it's ok for the Black Panther Party to put out wanted posters to kill Zimmerman? Odd!

The Justice Department announced Wednesday that it is going to sue Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, claiming that his department is engaging in racial profiling in its well-publicized efforts to enforce U.S. immigration laws.

The feds have been seeking to bring Arpaio under judicial control and “train” his officers in constitutional traffic stops and how to reassure Latinos that the department serves them as well. Arpaio flatly refused to have his department placed under a court monitor, saying it would undermine his authority by forcing him to seek approval of policy decisions.

He’s right, of course. Everything the “fast and furious” folks at Eric Holder’s Justice Department have been doing in Arizona has been about bringing the sheriff to heel.

http://godfatherpolitics.com/5138/justice-department-to-sue-sheriff-joe-arpaio/

tailfins
05-11-2012, 11:57 AM
So Sheriff Joe racially profiles, but it's ok for the Black Panther Party to put out wanted posters to kill Zimmerman? Odd!

http://godfatherpolitics.com/5138/justice-department-to-sue-sheriff-joe-arpaio/

Of course the Black Panthers should be investigated. However, if Joe Arpaio takes shortcuts on some people rights, the next step is to take shortcuts on everybody's rights. I don't trust Joe Arpaio. You know he's a birfer, don't you?

jimnyc
05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Of course the Black Panthers should be investigated. However, if Joe Arpaio takes shortcuts on some people rights, the next step is to take shortcuts on everybody's rights. I don't trust Joe Arpaio. You know he's a birfer, don't you?

Yep, I do think he's a little cuckoo too, and I don't care about his birther investigation, but I don't have much of an issue with how he tries to tie down the illegal immigration issue. MAYBE if the federal government did ANYTHING to help with the issue, people like Joe wouldn't be taking extra steps to beat the problem. And quite frankly, I think the DOJ suit is more about "revenge" than it is his actual actions. Racial profiling is used daily and is proven to work. In a State where illegals are such a huge problem, I don't think it's a bad idea to do a little profiling there as well to help beat the problem.

tailfins
05-11-2012, 12:25 PM
Yep, I do think he's a little cuckoo too, and I don't care about his birther investigation, but I don't have much of an issue with how he tries to tie down the illegal immigration issue. MAYBE if the federal government did ANYTHING to help with the issue, people like Joe wouldn't be taking extra steps to beat the problem. And quite frankly, I think the DOJ suit is more about "revenge" than it is his actual actions. Racial profiling is used daily and is proven to work. In a State where illegals are such a huge problem, I don't think it's a bad idea to do a little profiling there as well to help beat the problem.

The Sheriff in Bay County, Florida is just as "tough" as Joe Arpaio, but has a brain.

The Bay County Sheriff's Office has a special unit that is committed to enforcing state statutes against illegal alien activity. Do you know of any illegal alien activity or employers that hire illegal aliens ? Please let us know.

http://www.bayso.org/

Notice how CAREFULLY WORDED this is. In Bay County, they investigate document fraud and trespassing. Both are state crimes. Once somebody is convicted of a state crime, they become criminal aliens. Do you see how Sheriff Frank McKeithen doesn't attract the kind of attention Joe Arpaio does?

ConHog
05-11-2012, 12:30 PM
I think the good Sheriff has let his publicity go to his own head. At one time he was a good man...........

jimnyc
05-11-2012, 12:45 PM
I think the good Sheriff has let his publicity go to his own head. At one time he was a good man...........

Kinda my thoughts. He did good at first and brought the issue nationwide, and had a lot of support. I still support his efforts, I just wish he would do it as a professional, away from the cameras.

jimnyc
05-11-2012, 12:47 PM
The Sheriff in Bay County, Florida is just as "tough" as Joe Arpaio, but has a brain.

http://www.bayso.org/

Notice how CAREFULLY WORDED this is. In Bay County, they investigate document fraud and trespassing. Both are state crimes. Once somebody is convicted of a state crime, they become criminal aliens. Do you see how Sheriff Frank McKeithen doesn't attract the kind of attention Joe Arpaio does?

Yep, no argument. Joe would have been better off being "nice" about his work and doing the same thing as opposed to announce his intentions to the world and being wrongfully shut down, IMO. I just think it stinks that the DOJ is going to go after him now for basically doing their job for them. If the federal government TRULY took this issue seriously, they would at the very most just correct him, and then help him.

ConHog
05-11-2012, 12:54 PM
Kinda my thoughts. He did good at first and brought the issue nationwide, and had a lot of support. I still support his efforts, I just wish he would do it as a professional, away from the cameras.

Same here, I supported him back when had the tent jail idea . But damn he's bought into his own legend.

tailfins
05-11-2012, 01:13 PM
Same here, I supported him back when had the tent jail idea . But damn he's bought into his own legend.

Or maybe, coming up on his 80th birthday, he just doesn't care what the Feds do anymore. He can always retire.

revelarts
05-11-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm no fan of the AZ immigration laws but I see this as pretense to attack the Sheriff Because of his Birth certificate investigation.
He's touching a nerve that folks don't want touched by people like sheriffs and judges who can actually do something about it.
As long as it was some rich guy and a few sideshow tea party members they could blow off the accusation with a few docs but Now this thing has got teeth.

it's not just vapor, real investigators have done real work, call it crazy if you like, there's something here.

personally I wouldn't mess with it , becuase even if he was born in Kenya what is the congress or SCOTUS going to do about it? probably hyperventilate , express outrage and sadness Put Biden in as temp CiC and draw up emergency provisions to cover and continue ALL of the work thats been done by Obama to date. then ask the country to "move on".

the worse thing for the Dems is that if done soon enough it would throw the election. they may even try to postpone it so they could rally a candidate. it'd be a huge mess. and Niether side of the rank and file Ds and Rs want that kind of commotion.
A slowly sinking ship is what they like, keep playing the music boys.

logroller
05-11-2012, 02:23 PM
I'm no fan of the AZ immigration laws but I see this as pretense to attack the Sheriff Because of his Birth certificate investigation.
He's touching a nerve that folks don't want touched by people like sheriffs and judges who can actually do something about it.
As long as it was some rich guy and a few sideshow tea party members they could blow off the accusation with a few docs but Now this thing has got teeth.

it's not just vapor, real investigators have done real work, call it crazy if you like, there's something here.

personally I wouldn't mess with it , becuase even if he was born in Kenya what is the congress or SCOTUS going to do about it? probably hyperventilate , express outrage and sadness Put Biden in as temp CiC and draw up emergency provisions to cover and continue ALL of the work thats been done by Obama to date. then ask the country to "move on".

the worse thing for the Dems is that if done soon enough it would throw the election. they may even try to postpone it so they could rally a candidate. it'd be a huge mess. and Niether side of the rank and file Ds and Rs want that kind of commotion.
A slowly sinking ship is what they like, keep playing the music boys.
Birther talk...come on rev. The birthers are consistently laughed out of court; and the most recent challenge Obama didn't even bother sending more than a letter. Why would the justice dept bother? Covering for fast and furious is way more likely motive from a political standpoint.

revelarts
05-11-2012, 05:17 PM
Birther talk...come on rev. The birthers are consistently laughed out of court; and the most recent challenge Obama didn't even bother sending more than a letter. Why would the justice dept bother? Covering for fast and furious is way more likely motive from a political standpoint.

Did you see the sheriffs presentation?
I was never a fan of this idea but it's got some legs.
As far as the justice dept goes, sure covering for fast and furious is an ongoing project. but I'm not following you, what's the sheriffs connection to that . a distraction?