PDA

View Full Version : Drones - shoot one down and be a hero?

SassyLady
05-17-2012, 03:04 AM
Does this bother anyone else, or am I getting paranoid? 30,000 drones over America by 2020? Why????

Judge Andrew Napolitano has warned Congress not to act “like potted plants” regarding the increased use of unmanned surveillance drones without warrants over US skies by military, government, and law enforcement agencies.

Echoing the recent comments of his Fox News colleague Charles Krauthammer, Napolitano also said that “The first American patriot that shoots down one of these drones that comes too close to his children in his backyard will be an American hero.”The federal government is rolling out new rules on the use of the unmanned drones this week, with the Federal Aviation Administration announcing (http://www.faa.gov/news/updates/?newsId=68004) procedures will “streamline” the process through which government agencies, including local law enforcement, receive licenses to operate the aircraft.

Privacy advocates have warned that the FAA has not acted to establish any privacy safeguards whatsoever, and that congress is not holding the agency to account.

A recently uncovered Air Force document (http://www.infowars.com/air-force-document-drones-can-be-used-to-spy-on-americans/) also circumvents laws and clears the way for the Pentagon to use drones to monitor the activities of Americans. The Air Force instruction (http://www.fas.org/irp/doddir/usaf/afi14-104.pdf), dated April 23, admits that the Air Force cannot legally conduct “nonconsensual surveillance” on Americans, but also states that should the drones”incidentally” capture data while conducting other missions, military intelligence has the right to study it to determine whether the subjects are legitimate targets of domestic surveillance.

snip..........

“The Third Amendment, the Fourth Amendment, the Fifth Amendment and the Ninth Amendment were written to guarantee us the right to be left alone … Suddenly the government, silently, from 30,000 feet above is violating those amendments,” he added.

snip........

Congress recently passed legislation paving the way for what the FAA predicts will be somewhere in the region of 30,000 drones in operation (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/feb/7/coming-to-a-sky-near-you/print/) in US skies by 2020.

http://www.infowars.com/judge-napolitano-first-patriot-to-shoot-down-a-government-spy-drone-will-be-a-hero/

fj1200
05-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Does this bother anyone else, or am I getting paranoid? 30,000 drones over America by 2020? Why????

Privacy advocates have warned that the FAA has not acted to establish any privacy safeguards whatsoever, and that congress is not holding the agency to account.

I don't think you have much expectation of privacy from a drone flying around but the issue in my mind is that government power will expand with Congress doing little to actually authorize it.

darin
05-17-2012, 08:33 AM
I suppose they'll fall back to expectations of privacy; outdoors, unobstructed activities otherwise viewable to public (in airplanes) wouldn't fall under unreasonable search/privacy clauses. :(

Frustrating.

revelarts
05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
I suppose they'll fall back to expectations of privacy; outdoors, unobstructed activities otherwise viewable to public (in airplanes) wouldn't fall under unreasonable search/privacy clauses. :(

Frustrating.

My expectations is that no camera should be flying over homes unless there is a problem.
Who ASKED the gov't to watch. and snoop in the back yards or windows.

No probably cause, no drone should leave the ground ever.

Where's the money coming from for this crap? WHO NEEDS IT? we're in debyt and were buying this WHY?

tailfins
05-17-2012, 12:26 PM
My expectations is that no camera should be flying over homes unless there is a problem.

Where's the money coming from for this crap? WHO NEEDS IT? we're in debyt and were buying this WHY?

I can just see Snobville (shorthand for any North Fulton suburb), Georgia mailing tickets to people for having junk cars in their backyard photographed by a drone.

jimnyc
05-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Some major cities already have helicopter divisions that roam around with cameras rolling, surveying the city, looking for crimes, and being "on call" in case they are needed to tail someone or help with an accident. Change the shape of the UFO and have it remotely manned - not much of a difference. I'm NOT saying it's ok, just pointing this out.

If they (drone operators) were on a defined mission, with a court order/permission, to say possibly follow a possible terrorist or major criminal, I wouldn't have an issue. But if it's to simply monitor otherwise law abiding citizens, then I do.

ConHog
05-17-2012, 12:34 PM
The courts have actually already ruled on this. Your expectation of privacy extends to I believe it is 300' above ground level (that's going off memory and I could be wrong) That's not saying anything below 300' can't be observed, it's saying that any device or aircraft can't be come any closer than 300' from the ground, now of course technology makes that pretty much a moot point anyway, but not entirely. Chemical sniffers, for instance , are limited in their range. As are listening devices.

Dilloduck
05-17-2012, 12:40 PM
Follow the money. Who is profitting by selling drones?

Abbey Marie
05-17-2012, 12:48 PM
Oh the irony. We have no privacy from actually being spied on in our everyday lives, but whopping, invisible "privacy" justifies women killing their unborn children.

Dilloduck
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
http://www.fema.gov/government/grant/hsgp/index.shtm

Cool We can get a grant to finance our own drones. I bet we gotta pay for any additional ammo or armor we include in the package, tho.

revelarts
05-29-2012, 11:55 AM
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-IVQVTVMgWQ?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" height="360" width="640"></object>

Charles Krauthammer says Shoot em Down???!!!
Hard core Safety Above Liberty Krauthammer??!!??
He sounds like me in this one. almost..

If he sees a problem you know it's gone to freaking far.

For none Youtubers he says:
-Drones are a weapon of war.
-they have no place on US soil.
-the Constitution says we have privacy.
-I don't care if there's are camera on every corner and there are satellites already this is a frekin weapon.
-the founders didn't want standing armies on US Soil. DOH!!!:eek::eek::eek:
- if ya shoot um down your a hero, use a bazooka if you have to.

logroller
05-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Is there any privacy difference between a manned helicopter and a drone?

revelarts
05-29-2012, 12:39 PM
Is there any privacy difference between a manned helicopter and a drone?

Not much, They need to be reigned in as well.
From a practical stand point They don't fly over residential area much, mostly over highways, the cameras aren't that great and they rely on a regular human observation from the helicopter. And they aren't armed with rubber bullets and or tear gas, I hope.

indago
08-01-2015, 08:17 AM
From WTOP News 1 August 2015:
--------------------------------------------------------
A Kentucky man who said a drone was hovering over his yard where is teenage daughter was sunbathing, was arrested for taking it out with a shotgun. The $1,800 unmanned surveillance device crashed in a nearby meadow.

...“He didn’t just fly over,” he said. “If he had been moving and just kept moving, that would have been one thing — but when he come directly over our heads, and just hovered there, I felt like I had the right.”
--------------------------------------------------------

article (http://wtop.com/national/2015/08/man-arrested-for-shooting-down-a-drone-hovering-over-his-yard/)

Max R.
08-01-2015, 08:25 AM

We have cameras on many street corners, buildings, etc. It's only one step to put them on drones.

Still, there's a hazard to others in the form of collisions with airliners, business aircraft and private flyers. Raining metal is never a good day for anyone.

NightTrain
08-01-2015, 09:10 AM
I have a Mauser air rifle that shoots at 1200 FPS... that's .22 country, and it's very accurate. Drones are very fragile.

I think you can avoid many charges by using one of these instead of a shotgun or other firearm.

There's still a destruction of property charge to deal with, but that's a whole lot less messy than adding a few firearm charges to the mix when one is hovering outside your windows looking in or taking pictures of your daughters sunbathing in the back yard.

BJ_WA
08-01-2015, 10:32 AM
I was in the hot tub the other evening and a UFO (drone) flew over the house. It was going at such a rate of speed there was no way I could have shot it with a shotgun unless I called "pull" and was ready for it. Evidently this one was on a mission as it was on a dead reckoning of N to S. I twas round, silver, and no noise what so ever.