PDA

View Full Version : 7-Eleven serving up diet Slurpees for the first time

Shadow
05-19-2012, 08:38 AM
Who knew there was such a demand for diet Slurpies....Anyway...if you want to try one...now you know.

It probably says something more about America than it does about 7-Eleven, but starting this month the retailer (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) is rolling out a product that seems right for its time: a sugar-free Slurpee.
Fanta Sugar-Free Mango is this month’s diet flavor. 7-Eleven said it has spent two years coming up with the formula for a simple reason: customer demand.
“For years we’ve gotten calls through our guest relations hot line, ‘When are you going to have a diet Slurpee?’” company spokeswoman Margaret Chabris said. The calls have come not only from the weight-conscious but from diabetics and those with other nutritional issues, she said.

“We worked at that formula for two years, trying to nail the right attributes of the Slurpee. Not just the taste. But you need to have Slurpee all the way to the bottom of the cup, not just water and ice.”
Cost will be the same as a standard Slurpee. Formulas may differ, but for example the Fanta Wild Cherry is 66 calories for 8 ounces. The diet equivalent is 20 calories. It will be available at all participating 6,700 7-Elevens in the U.S.

http://bottomline.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/18/11745664-7-eleven-serving-up-diet-slurpees-for-the-first-time?lite

Abbey Marie
05-19-2012, 09:00 AM
I'm going to try it!

Shadow
05-19-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm going to try it!

I probably will too. I'm surprised it has taken them so long to think of this,especially since it has probably been "in demand" for all the diabetic folks for awhile now.

PostmodernProphet
05-19-2012, 10:52 AM
good news.....haven't been able to have a slurpy since I went on insulin.....

logroller
05-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Now I can have three times as much.

Abbey Marie
05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Now I can have three times as much.

LOL, someone had to go there. :laugh:

Abbey Marie
05-19-2012, 03:22 PM
As promised, I just tried one.

It was...

http://s4.guyism.com/up/2012/05/slurpee-light.jpg

...delicious! :2up:

PostmodernProphet
05-19-2012, 03:26 PM
why does it say "50% fewer calories"?......what else does it have in it?.....

Abbey Marie
05-19-2012, 03:30 PM
why does it say "50% fewer calories"?......what else does it have in it?.....

I was wondering that too. Article doesn't say.

8 oz =22 calories.

I would guess the natural fruit sugars? (assuming there is anything natural in a slurpee).

SassyLady
05-20-2012, 01:05 AM
I've never had one; don't shop at 7-11. I have a girlfriend that drives 7 miles out of her way to get them on almost a daily basis. Yes, she is overweight and yes she is excited about the diet Slurpee. And, she thinks I'm "silly" for never having had one.

Abbey Marie
05-20-2012, 05:37 AM
I've never had one; don't shop at 7-11. I have a girlfriend that drives 7 miles out of her way to get them on almost a daily basis. Yes, she is overweight and yes she is excited about the diet Slurpee. And, she thinks I'm "silly" for never having had one.

Yesterday was my first one ever. :cool:

PostmodernProphet
05-20-2012, 07:44 AM

when the thermometer tops 90 I was known to drive out of my way to get one.....

Kathianne
05-20-2012, 10:08 AM
when the thermometer tops 90 I was known to drive out of my way to get one.....

We really don't have many 7-11's around here anymore, when we did though a Slurpee was definitely a plus on hot, steamy days. I figured that a regular Slurpee probably didn't have that many calories, seems I was right on that one. All the ice means less of the sweet stuff in a bigger glass than say a regular soda.

Now cutting those calories in a Slurpee by 2/3? Good thing! Not the zero of a diet ginger ale or Dr. Pepper, but acceptable when hot!

PostmodernProphet
05-20-2012, 10:52 AM
there's a gas station in town that occasionally made slurpee type drinks with Crystal Lite......

Shadow
05-20-2012, 03:57 PM
As promised, I just tried one.

It was...

http://s4.guyism.com/up/2012/05/slurpee-light.jpg

...delicious! :2up:

Took my kids specifically to buy one today...my 7/11 doesn't have the diet slurpee's (bummer). Ended up with a regular pina colada one. Oh well. The guy at the counter did say that a ton of people have been coming in requesting them though.

ConHog
05-20-2012, 05:06 PM
we have no 7eleven here, but Sonic makes a very similar drink, hundreds of flavors including diets and they are very tasty.

PostmodernProphet
05-20-2012, 06:45 PM
Took my kids specifically to buy one today...my 7/11 doesn't have the diet slurpee's (bummer). Ended up with a regular pina colada one. Oh well. The guy at the counter did say that a ton of people have been coming in requesting them though.

one of the articles I read said it was to be their special flavor for June....

Shadow
05-20-2012, 09:23 PM
one of the articles I read said it was to be their special flavor for June....

Then I will have to go back in a few weeks and try again.