PDA

View Full Version : Violence Against Women Act in limbo

Shadow
05-19-2012, 08:48 AM
Washington (CNN) -- After a high profile political battle this week over legislation to help victims of domestic abuse, its fate appears to be in limbo. And this policy-dispute-turned-election-year-brawl seems to be far from over.

The House and Senate have both passed different versions of a bill renewing the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The next step would be for congressional leaders to appoint negotiators to hash out the differences between the two pieces of legislation.

That process, though, is now at an apparent standstill, with both sides pointing the finger at the other for holding up progress.
The Senate approved its version last month with bipartisan support. The vote was 68 to 31 with every female Republican supporting the measure. That bill would expand coverage for illegal immigrants and Native Americans who are victims of domestic abuse. It also specifies the inclusion of gay, lesbian and transgender victims.

House Republicans oppose those changes and stripped them from the Republican-backed bill that passed this week 222 to 205, largely splitting along party lines.
"We're eager to resolve our differences...This is an important issue for our country and it needs to be resolved," said House Speaker John Boehner at his weekly news conference Thursday. "I think the bigger question is whether Senator Schumer and his Democrat allies in the Senate want to come to an agreement on this bill or whether they want to continue to attempt to use it as a political weapon in this year's election cycle."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/18/politics/violence-against-women-act/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Oh... and just as a side note...because I was cusrious I looked up some stats from LAMDA on domestic violence in gay relationships. Found this...

"Domestic violence in the GLBT community is a serious issue. The
rates of domestic violence in same-gender relationships is roughly the same as
domestic violence against heterosexual women (25%). "

http://www.lambda.org/DV_background.htm

I find it interesting that they want to tack all of these into a " Violence against women act" though.

Dilloduck
05-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Seriously----what about those girly gay boys? Who is gonna protect them? Discrimination much ?

Shadow
05-19-2012, 10:38 AM
Seriously----what about those girly gay boys? Who is gonna protect them? Discrimination much ?

I thought in the land of butterflies and rainbows...it was only about peace and love? Who is beating them up? Surely not their loving gay partners. Only you bad and evil straight men use violence to control.

Dilloduck
05-19-2012, 10:45 AM
I thought in the land of butterflies and rainbows...it was only about peace and love? Who is beating them up? Surely not their loving gay partners. Only you bad and evil straight men use violence to control.

If they get left out of anything you know they are just gonna whine until they get their way. May as well include them in a bill meant to protect women. They think they are women anyway.

Shadow
05-19-2012, 10:56 AM
If they get left out of anything you know they are just gonna whine until they get their way. May as well include them in a bill meant to protect women. They think they are women anyway.

Just like they think they have struggled to overcome as much hardship as the black community no doubt....and can piggy back on the civil rights movement.

Well okay...they can stay on it, I guess. It's not like they are going to actually fight for it, and then draw attention to gay on gay violence in the home.

Dilloduck
05-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Just like they think they have struggled to overcome as much hardship as the black community no doubt....and can piggy back on the civil rights movement.

Well okay...they can stay on it, I guess. It's not like they are going to actually fight for it, and then draw attention to gay on gay violence in the home.

Just in case sometime in the future when a gay person might accidently do something that someone might perceive as violent. One can never be too careful.

logroller
05-19-2012, 11:08 AM
Washington (CNN) -- After a high profile political battle this week over legislation to help victims of domestic abuse, its fate appears to be in limbo. And this policy-dispute-turned-election-year-brawl seems to be far from over.

The House and Senate have both passed different versions of a bill renewing the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA). The next step would be for congressional leaders to appoint negotiators to hash out the differences between the two pieces of legislation.

That process, though, is now at an apparent standstill, with both sides pointing the finger at the other for holding up progress.
The Senate approved its version last month with bipartisan support. The vote was 68 to 31 with every female Republican supporting the measure. That bill would expand coverage for illegal immigrants and Native Americans who are victims of domestic abuse. It also specifies the inclusion of gay, lesbian and transgender victims.

House Republicans oppose those changes and stripped them from the Republican-backed bill that passed this week 222 to 205, largely splitting along party lines.
"We're eager to resolve our differences...This is an important issue for our country and it needs to be resolved," said House Speaker John Boehner at his weekly news conference Thursday. "I think the bigger question is whether Senator Schumer and his Democrat allies in the Senate want to come to an agreement on this bill or whether they want to continue to attempt to use it as a political weapon in this year's election cycle."

http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/18/politics/violence-against-women-act/index.html?hpt=hp_bn5

Oh... and just as a side note...because I was cusrious I looked up some stats from LAMDA on domestic violence in gay relationships. Found this...

"Domestic violence in the GLBT community is a serious issue. The
rates of domestic violence in same-gender relationships is roughly the same as
domestic violence against heterosexual women (25%). "

http://www.lambda.org/DV_background.htm

I find it interesting that they want to tack all of these into a " Violence against women act" though.
One out of four; that's shocking to me.

Shadow
05-19-2012, 11:19 AM
One out of four; that's shocking to me.

It's a bigger number than I would have expected. I also thought it was interesting that some gay partners would use "outting" their SO's at work,in public etc...as a tool to control them. Although we do see this in the entertainment industry sometimes.

Another interesting tidbit used to control gay partners and keep them from reporting abuse...from the article.

The lesbian, bi and gay community is often not supportive of
victims of battering because many want to maintain the myth that there are no
problems (such as child abuse, alcoholism, domestic violence, etc.) in lesbian,
bi and gay relationships.

Dilloduck
05-19-2012, 11:22 AM
It's a bigger number than I would have expected. I also thought it was interesting that some gay partners would use "outting" their SO's at work,in public etc...as a tool to control them. Although we do see this in the entertainment industry sometimes.

Another interesting tidbit used to control gay partners and keep them from reporting abuse...from the article.

Weird----WS was telling us the same thing happens to black women who are raped.

logroller
05-19-2012, 11:42 AM
Weird----WS was telling us the same thing happens to black women who are raped.
They're outed for being black?

Dilloduck
05-19-2012, 11:50 AM
They're outed for being black?

Who woulda thunk it ? :laugh2:

fj1200
05-19-2012, 01:33 PM
So let me get this straight, violence against women is currently LEGAL? That explains why the Federal government needs to make a law. :rolleyes:

Shadow
05-19-2012, 02:18 PM
It's just a political ploy to once again bring up both illegal immigration and the gay rights issue during an election cycle. The Violence Against Women Act is a Republican-drafted bill that passed in 1994. The dems have now decided that they want to expand on it to include the above groups...they don't really need to mess with it.... they just want to use it as a distraction.

ConHog
05-19-2012, 02:31 PM
Shouldn't this be a state right to decide if beating you wife is legal?

I have another question if this bill finally gets passed will obams start suing states that enforce their own dv laws?

Abbey Marie
05-19-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm ok with including illegals as long as the punishment is immediate deportation of the perpetrator. Their own courts can deal with them as appropriate and as they see fit.

ConHog
05-19-2012, 03:47 PM
I'm ok with including illegals as long as the punishment is immediate deportation of the perpetrator. Their own courts can deal with them as appropriate and as they see fit.

Making an argument out of including them is ridicolous on the part of the Dems anyway. 9 out 10 times illegal aliens aren't going to the police anyway. Why would they when the likely outcome is that they themselves face deportation...........

Here's an idea, just call it the domestic violence act and don't specify gender, sexual persuasion, nor citizenship status at all.

Stupid politicians.

Dilloduck
05-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Making an argument out of including them is ridicolous on the part of the Dems anyway. 9 out 10 times illegal aliens aren't going to the police anyway. Why would they when the likely outcome is that they themselves face deportation...........

Here's an idea, just call it the domestic violence act and don't specify gender, sexual persuasion, nor citizenship status at all.

Stupid politicians.

I'm against that idea--I want all potential victims to be well defined. ( Besides, domestic violence sounds like you beat up the maid or the butler. )

Abbey Marie
05-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Stupid politicians.

Illegals are different from everyone else on the list. They as illegals should not have access to our courts other than the process of deportation. Whether or not they would avail themselves isn't the issue.

ConHog
05-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Illegals are different from everyone else on the list. They as illegals should not have access to our courts other than the process of deportation. Whether or not they would avail themselves isn't the issue.

What? Are you seriously saying that men who abuse illegals shouldn't be arrested?