PDA

View Full Version : ROBERT REICH TO NEW COLLEGE GRADS: 'You're F*cked'

Kathianne
05-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Hopey, Changey? Not so much:

ROBERT REICH TO NEW COLLEGE GRADS: 'You're F*cked'

Read more: http://robertreich.org/post/23301640941#ixzz1vOG0VAft

Members of the Class of 2012,

As a former secretary of labor and current professor, I feel I owe it to you to tell you the truth about the pieces of parchment you’re picking up today.
You’re f*cked.

Well, not exactly. But you won’t have it easy.

First, you’re going to have a hell of a hard time finding a job. The job market you’re heading into is still bad. Fewer than half of the graduates from last year’s class have as yet found full-time jobs. Most are still looking.

That’s been the pattern over the last three graduating classes: It’s been taking them more than a year to land the first job. And those who still haven’t found a job will be competing with you, making your job search even harder.

Contrast this with the class of 2008, whose members were lucky enough to get out of here and into the job market before the Great Recession really hit. Almost three-quarters of them found jobs within the year.

You’re still better off than your friends who didn’t graduate. Overall, the unemployment rate among young people (21 to 24 years old) with four-year college degrees is now 6.4 percent. With just a high school degree, the rate is double that.
But even when you get a job, it’s likely to pay peanuts...

logroller
05-20-2012, 09:16 AM
Here I sit, drinking my coffee, contemplating my senior thesis....and I read this.

Very comforting.:rolleyes::laugh:

Hopefully I'm in the luckier half:thumb:

cadet
05-20-2012, 11:24 AM
This is why I'm going for the Air Force.
And when I'm done with that, starting my engineering firm. Yes it's a big goal, but I can try!

logroller
05-20-2012, 11:46 AM
And when I'm done with that, starting my engineering firm. Yes it's a big goal, but I can try!

Theres a world of opportunity before you-- so keep your options open. You can do anything you set your mind to. So what's the plan; enlisted, then GI bill? Im almost positive you have to get your professional engineering certification before you sign/stamp plans; just a heads up. My friend had trouble finding work with an engineering degree, admittedly from a less prestigious college, so he joined the navy's civil engineering corps: the Seabees. He loves it and he'll get his professional certification. That's one such option.:thumb:

Trigg
05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
Theres a world of opportunity before you-- so keep your options open. You can do anything you set your mind to. So what's the plan; enlisted, then GI bill? Im almost positive you have to get your professional engineering certification before you sign/stamp plans; just a heads up. My friend had trouble finding work with an engineering degree, admittedly from a less prestigious college, so he joined the navy's civil engineering corps: the Seabees. He loves it and he'll get his professional certification. That's one such option.:thumb:

if the stars aline the way they're supposed to he will graduate with a Mechanical engineering degree with a minor in robotics and if he does one more math class he will have a math minor as well.

logroller
05-20-2012, 12:59 PM
if the stars aline the way they're supposed to he will graduate with a Mechanical engineering degree with a minor in robotics and if he does one more math class he will have a math minor as well.
Is he graduating from college or high school? I thought high school.

fj1200
05-20-2012, 01:08 PM

Did he finish by saying, "you're welcome"? Because I'm guessing his preferred policies are not helpful to their plight.

DragonStryk72
05-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Hopey, Changey? Not so much:

Read more: http://robertreich.org/post/23301640941#ixzz1vOG0VAft

Oh good, a pep talk!

Mr. P
05-20-2012, 06:04 PM

Try? No, young man, You can! .....A man who wants something will find a way. One who fails will find excuses. Never quit! :salute:

Trigg
05-20-2012, 06:14 PM
Is he graduating from college or high school? I thought high school.

he just finished his first year of college

logroller
05-20-2012, 07:26 PM
he just finished his first year of college
Sounds like hes on his way. does the air force have an engineering corp?

tailfins
05-20-2012, 07:41 PM
Here I sit, drinking my coffee, contemplating my senior thesis....and I read this.

Very comforting.:rolleyes::laugh:

Hopefully I'm in the luckier half:thumb:

There used to be a saying: "Have _______, will travel. That still applies today. People stay unemployed because they refuse to put in smart effort. If you can advance your career in the Bronx, go to the Bronx. If it's North Dakota or where ever, you should go. I have left jobs in areas that get recession bitten. Even with a "stable" job, often when a recession hits the area, crappy treatment sets in. One VP told a team meeting: I don't have to care what you people want, it's not like you're going to find another job around here. My reply was, "I hear things are pretty good in Denver."

logroller
05-21-2012, 02:50 AM
There used to be a saying: "Have _______, will travel. That still applies today. People stay unemployed because they refuse to put in smart effort. If you can advance your career in the Bronx, go to the Bronx. If it's North Dakota or where ever, you should go. I have left jobs in areas that get recession bitten. Even with a "stable" job, often when a recession hits the area, crappy treatment sets in. One VP told a team meeting: I don't have to care what you people want, it's not like you're going to find another job around here. My reply was, "I hear things are pretty good in Denver."

I'll not move. Though if I would, I'd go for mud-logger; its a piece of cake and pays bookoo.(Starting with zero experience >$70k/yr) South Dakota, New Mexico; both have tons of jobs for those with a degree in geology. (which I'd have with 4 more classes, but no matter) In fact, post grad programs in geology are having problems attracting students because of job market demand. But I'd rather just adapt to the market. Drove for Fedex during the internet shopping boom; then construction for the housing boom; environmental/safety now. I'm a market whore. :laugh: Though I wish I had a little more foresight; prescience would put me ahead of the wave instead of on it. Any soothsayers out there want to share a little insight?

Nukeman
05-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Sounds like hes on his way. does the air force have an engineering corp?Actually he is in the Air force ROTC prgram at Notre Dame. They have cross town agreement with other colleges. He is currently on the "path to pilot" program. the Air Force likes thier pilotes to have engineering degrees, and for some reason they really like Mech. Eng.

so if all goes well it will be 3 more years of ROTC and than a commision in the Air Force. He does his summer training next year. :salute:

tailfins
05-21-2012, 08:56 AM
I'll not move. Though if I would, I'd go for mud-logger; its a piece of cake and pays bookoo.(Starting with zero experience >$70k/yr) South Dakota, New Mexico; both have tons of jobs for those with a degree in geology. (which I'd have with 4 more classes, but no matter) In fact, post grad programs in geology are having problems attracting students because of job market demand. But I'd rather just adapt to the market. Drove for Fedex during the internet shopping boom; then construction for the housing boom; environmental/safety now. I'm a market whore. :laugh: Though I wish I had a little more foresight; prescience would put me ahead of the wave instead of on it. Any soothsayers out there want to share a little insight?

This is my theme song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjraHR9yeAI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjraHR9yeAI

Nukeman
05-21-2012, 08:59 AM
Engineering, the US is in desperate need of good engineers. Just in North East Indiana alone the projection is over 4000 new engineering jobs by 2015. That is a lot. Schools are being selective and the grades are demanding, but once you have that degree and certification you're set!! :2up:

tailfins
05-21-2012, 09:08 AM
Engineering, the US is in desperate need of good engineers. Just in North East Indiana alone the projection is over 4000 new engineering jobs by 2015. That is a lot. Schools are being selective and the grades are demanding, but once you have that degree and certification you're set!! :2up:

Almost nobody is "set". Regardless of your profession, more likely than not you'll still have to fight the corporate rough and tumble. To think otherwise is asking to get blindsided. Stay current or perish. And ... don't fall into the loyalty crap. Sharp and current experience carry the day.

logroller
05-21-2012, 09:51 AM
It's that cert that I've heard is tough to get. I posted earlier about my buddy that joined the Seabees because 3 years out of college and he couldn't find a job under a professional engineer. Plenty of work, mind you, just not under a professional.