PDA

View Full Version : A Study in Contrasts

DragonStryk72
05-20-2012, 08:50 PM
So, this week, I went to stomp about in Williamsburg, VA, since I'm looking to get me and my mom moved down that way, hopefully this summer. In any event, as I was walking around, it felt a little weird. It's been two years since I was there last, and apparently in that time, the commercial investors of the area decided to put their big boy pants on. There's a new strip mall, built with a really wonderfully done colonial style brick exterior, with a Movie Tavern (Dine-in movie theater), a Subway, Five Guys, and Firehouse Subs. More places are already slated for the open areas of the strip.

Meanwhile, every 7-11 in the area has large, hand-written Now Hiring signs in the windows, along with a number of other shops in the area, and Colonial Williamsburg itself. I stopped in at the 7-11 for an Extreme Gulp of Sweet Tea, and decided to ask about the position. It's full-time overnight, starting rate: $10/hr+shift differential, plus health and dental. They even have a career track. When I asked, rather mildly about the job, the Manager who was behind the counter immediately grabbed an app (I didn't ask for one), and begins trying to see what my availability is, and if I could hang out for the minute for an interview. There was an honestly disheartened look on his face when I broke it to him that I was just visiting for recon, and wouldn't be moving until summer.

The apartments I took a look at were all nicely put together, all of them with built-in A/C, heat, hot water, and trash removal included, and most 2 bedrooms having over 1000 sq ft of space. The one I'm looking at is located in a nice neighborhood, on a bus line, with a grocery store less than half a mile down the road, and a pool that's open in the summer. Asking price? $692/month, and you only need first month's rent, and a security dep. of $300 (there's a pet deposit of $200, but we don't have any, so no problems there). There is no "bad section", and the black folks you do see in Williamsburg (Yes, they do exist) don't "thug walk", their pants are where they're supposed to be, and they can speak properly, some with a trace of southern accenting, but that's to be expected in the south.

Let's look at Albany, now that I'm back. I'm a dependable, hard-working military vet with open availability, and I work well with the general public. Here, I am treated like an imposition when I go to apply, and frequently, I might as well have been throwing my apps into a void. Businesses are closing down left and right, even those that have been in the area for years, and most hiring signs should really be "we're not hiring, but we're accepting applications that we'll never get back to anyone about" signs. Hiring managers all want people who have already completely mastered the job, so that they can get around training people, and several have taken up a habit of hiring almost continually, just letting the person go after a week or so under the guise of "You're not quite fast enough", or similar things that can't really be argued with. If they can't get you on that one, they start assigning you one shift every other week, so that you don't qualify for unemployment here in NY, where you need to be unemployed for at least two weeks to start receiving benefits.

Then there's the apartment: We live in a 1 bedroom, where I sleep on the couch. It's about 750 sq ft, maybe, if you include the porch, since it's enclosed. We are on a busline, but there is nowhere cheaper we can live that isn't in a high crime area, or out in the middle of nowhere. Gas is a dollar higher here per gallon, cigs are 10-11 bucks a pack (5.35/pack in VA for the pricey cigs), and even generic food is more expensive. I said it earlier this year in a moment of frustration about things in NY: "It's like playing a game where someone keeps changing the rules every time you start to get ahead."

Kathianne
05-20-2012, 09:33 PM
So, this week, I went to stomp about in Williamsburg, VA, since I'm looking to get me and my mom moved down that way, hopefully this summer. In any event, as I was walking around, it felt a little weird. It's been two years since I was there last, and apparently in that time, the commercial investors of the area decided to put their big boy pants on. There's a new strip mall, built with a really wonderfully done colonial style brick exterior, with a Movie Tavern (Dine-in movie theater), a Subway, Five Guys, and Firehouse Subs. More places are already slated for the open areas of the strip.

Meanwhile, every 7-11 in the area has large, hand-written Now Hiring signs in the windows, along with a number of other shops in the area, and Colonial Williamsburg itself. I stopped in at the 7-11 for an Extreme Gulp of Sweet Tea, and decided to ask about the position. It's full-time overnight, starting rate: $10/hr+shift differential, plus health and dental. They even have a career track. When I asked, rather mildly about the job, the Manager who was behind the counter immediately grabbed an app (I didn't ask for one), and begins trying to see what my availability is, and if I could hang out for the minute for an interview. There was an honestly disheartened look on his face when I broke it to him that I was just visiting for recon, and wouldn't be moving until summer.

The apartments I took a look at were all nicely put together, all of them with built-in A/C, heat, hot water, and trash removal included, and most 2 bedrooms having over 1000 sq ft of space. The one I'm looking at is located in a nice neighborhood, on a bus line, with a grocery store less than half a mile down the road, and a pool that's open in the summer. Asking price? $692/month, and you only need first month's rent, and a security dep. of $300 (there's a pet deposit of $200, but we don't have any, so no problems there). There is no "bad section", and the black folks you do see in Williamsburg (Yes, they do exist) don't "thug walk", their pants are where they're supposed to be, and they can speak properly, some with a trace of southern accenting, but that's to be expected in the south.

Let's look at Albany, now that I'm back. I'm a dependable, hard-working military vet with open availability, and I work well with the general public. Here, I am treated like an imposition when I go to apply, and frequently, I might as well have been throwing my apps into a void. Businesses are closing down left and right, even those that have been in the area for years, and most hiring signs should really be "we're not hiring, but we're accepting applications that we'll never get back to anyone about" signs. Hiring managers all want people who have already completely mastered the job, so that they can get around training people, and several have taken up a habit of hiring almost continually, just letting the person go after a week or so under the guise of "You're not quite fast enough", or similar things that can't really be argued with. If they can't get you on that one, they start assigning you one shift every other week, so that you don't qualify for unemployment here in NY, where you need to be unemployed for at least two weeks to start receiving benefits.

Then there's the apartment: We live in a 1 bedroom, where I sleep on the couch. It's about 750 sq ft, maybe, if you include the porch, since it's enclosed. We are on a busline, but there is nowhere cheaper we can live that isn't in a high crime area, or out in the middle of nowhere. Gas is a dollar higher here per gallon, cigs are 10-11 bucks a pack (5.35/pack in VA for the pricey cigs), and even generic food is more expensive. I said it earlier this year in a moment of frustration about things in NY: "It's like playing a game where someone keeps changing the rules every time you start to get ahead."

I hear you! I'm so frustrated that it's taking so long for the mortgage company to OK my short sale! I know they will, difference is significantly less than $10k, bringing me to court will take longer and cost more. I keep filling out applications in this are, there just aren't any positions for an older person. The district that thinks I'm great as a sub, well they just haven't hired a teacher over 35 in 2 years. Too bad I don't have time or money for that law suit. ;)

Out of state, lots. I've had 6 phone interviews in past 3 weeks, but I can't commit due to the house. Sigh. I AM the teacher many are looking for. I can mentor younger teachers and I bring strengths that only base of knowledge and experience can.

In NC district that wanted to hire me back in January, I can rent a 3 BR house for under $650 per month. If I could rent out my 3 BR townhome, it would fetch over $2k per month. The renter would have to pay utilities, but even with $2k, it would be dicey here. Everything costs more, from AC/Heating units and the union workers that install. Same with the washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc.

With mortgage, association fees, property taxes, etc., alone is nearly $1800. per month!

I'm really excited though, today paid cheapest gas in over a year, $3.79. Seriously.

DragonStryk72
05-20-2012, 10:07 PM
I hear you! I'm so frustrated that it's taking so long for the mortgage company to OK my short sale! I know they will, difference is significantly less than $10k, bringing me to court will take longer and cost more. I keep filling out applications in this are, there just aren't any positions for an older person. The district that thinks I'm great as a sub, well they just haven't hired a teacher over 35 in 2 years. Too bad I don't have time or money for that law suit. ;)

Out of state, lots. I've had 6 phone interviews in past 3 weeks, but I can't commit due to the house. Sigh. I AM the teacher many are looking for. I can mentor younger teachers and I bring strengths that only base of knowledge and experience can.

In NC district that wanted to hire me back in January, I can rent a 3 BR house for under $650 per month. If I could rent out my 3 BR townhome, it would fetch over $2k per month. The renter would have to pay utilities, but even with $2k, it would be dicey here. Everything costs more, from AC/Heating units and the union workers that install. Same with the washer/dryer, dishwasher, etc.

With mortgage, association fees, property taxes, etc., alone is nearly $1800. per month!

I'm really excited though, today paid cheapest gas in over a year, $3.79. Seriously.

Lol, Williamsburg, 3.50 a gallon, and it doesn't have the cheapest gas of the area. You go down to Newport News/Norfolk area and it's 3.25 or less. I guess I'm just tired of fighting for it, and I'm more sick of seeing my mom after years of fighting to survive up here. If not for her, I wouldn't have even gotten back on the bus, but I'm not leaving her behind up here. there's no way she can survive, let alone thrive, with the way things are going.

Kathianne
05-20-2012, 10:44 PM
Lol, Williamsburg, 3.50 a gallon, and it doesn't have the cheapest gas of the area. You go down to Newport News/Norfolk area and it's 3.25 or less. I guess I'm just tired of fighting for it, and I'm more sick of seeing my mom after years of fighting to survive up here. If not for her, I wouldn't have even gotten back on the bus, but I'm not leaving her behind up here. there's no way she can survive, let alone thrive, with the way things are going.

Yep, Chicagoland has some of the highest gas prices in country. When I said, 'excited' about price, I wasn't exaggerating. It's so messed up here.

While I hate the idea that my kids are all here, even the one in VA is trying to find a way back here, I don't think IL is the place for me now. I want some place where I've a job, a home that I can afford, better weather, and a slower pace. Once settled I'm sure I'd make at least 3 times a year trips to see the kids, if I land in a decent area for weather and tourism, sure they'd visit too.

I'm guessing not a whole lot different than you think of NY?

ConHog
05-20-2012, 10:53 PM
You guys live in some crazy shit.

I have a 3500 square foot home with full basement and 2 car garage on 300 acres with built in swimming pool + another older, as in over 100 yrs old home that is about 4000 sq feet and my monthly nut is $1800 which includes mortgage on the new house and insurances and property taxes on the whole place.

Ive turned down about 7 jobs in the last two years and gas is $3.49 a gallon.

Our school is looking to hire 8 new teachers this summer btw

Kathianne
05-20-2012, 10:58 PM
You guys live in some crazy shit.

I have a 3500 square foot home with full basement and 2 car garage on 300 acres with built in swimming pool + another older, as in over 100 yrs old home that is about 4000 sq feet and my monthly nut is $1800 which includes mortgage on the new house and insurances and property taxes on the whole place.

Ive turned down about 7 jobs in the last two years and gas is $3.49 a gallon.

Our school is looking to hire 8 new teachers this summer btw

What grades?

ConHog
05-20-2012, 11:05 PM
What grades?

2nd grade, 4th grade, 6th grade x2 HS math x2, football coach health, HS science

Weird year 3 teachers preggo. Fired one for sleeping with a student. Fired another for slapping a student. 2 retirements and one just quit

Kathianne
05-20-2012, 11:34 PM
2nd grade, 4th grade, 6th grade x2 HS math x2, football coach health, HS science

Weird year 3 teachers preggo. Fired one for sleeping with a student. Fired another for slapping a student. 2 retirements and one just quit

None of those fit me. Let me know though if you have middle school or high school openings in social studies.

Can't you imagine you and I within space of putting hands upon throats?

DragonStryk72
05-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Yep, Chicagoland has some of the highest gas prices in country. When I said, 'excited' about price, I wasn't exaggerating. It's so messed up here.

While I hate the idea that my kids are all here, even the one in VA is trying to find a way back here, I don't think IL is the place for me now. I want some place where I've a job, a home that I can afford, better weather, and a slower pace. Once settled I'm sure I'd make at least 3 times a year trips to see the kids, if I land in a decent area for weather and tourism, sure they'd visit too.

I'm guessing not a whole lot different than you think of NY?

I grew up in Albany, but left when I joined the Navy. Then Heather moved down to NYC, along with dad. Michael stayed with him til he graduated college, then moved west to the Bay Area of CA. So really, there's just nothing holding me or mom here anymore. Last time Mom got a raise at work, it knocked her $25 a year into the new tax bracket, so she now makes less than she used to, but at the same time, cant get any help because she "makes too much money". She is a part time school bus driver, she's not exactly runnin' the table here.

Aside from some odd moments of nostalgia somewhere along, I have nothing to bring me back here. My friends are in VA. Keep your kid in VA, it's a much better region at this point.

There was an odd moment when I was getting ready to board the bus where I seriously gave consideration to not getting on it. I mean, I could ride couch with one of my friends for a while, at least until I could get a job and place of my own, which yeah, that wasn't exactly gonna be an uphill fight. The only thing that got me back on the bus north was my mom. Leaving her here is tantamount to shooting out both her kneecaps at this point.

DragonStryk72
05-20-2012, 11:37 PM
None of those fit me. Let me know though if you have middle school or high school openings in social studies.

I can only imagine the off-hand comments no one else would get. I mean, we always used our screen names to refer to each other, so you'll keep calling him Hog or CH, lol

ConHog
05-20-2012, 11:38 PM

Sure why i dont go ahead and hire skydancer to while im at it. Lol

logroller
05-21-2012, 03:03 AM
Somebody DS/Kathianne mentioned gas prices. Now I'm smart enough not to bite the proverbial hand that feeds me, and since I'll most likely be working in the oil and gas industry, I don't usually complain about gas prices. However, I recently paid the most I've ever paid for gas anywhere near where I live, $4.489 regular. Which is about a 25 cents higher than in town...curiously, I know the oil leases and refineries were actually closer, less than 5 miles away. That's like going to a winery and paying more for the wine than in the store. I'm sure there's some supply/demand explanation; but that's just irritating.

logroller
05-21-2012, 03:09 AM
I grew up in Albany, but left when I joined the Navy. Then Heather moved down to NYC, along with dad. Michael stayed with him til he graduated college, then moved west to the Bay Area of CA. So really, there's just nothing holding me or mom here anymore. Last time Mom got a raise at work, it knocked her $25 a year into the new tax bracket, so she now makes less than she used to, but at the same time, cant get any help because she "makes too much money". She is a part time school bus driver, she's not exactly runnin' the table here.

Aside from some odd moments of nostalgia somewhere along, I have nothing to bring me back here. My friends are in VA. Keep your kid in VA, it's a much better region at this point.

There was an odd moment when I was getting ready to board the bus where I seriously gave consideration to not getting on it. I mean, I could ride couch with one of my friends for a while, at least until I could get a job and place of my own, which yeah, that wasn't exactly gonna be an uphill fight. The only thing that got me back on the bus north was my mom. Leaving her here is tantamount to shooting out both her kneecaps at this point.

What??????? Who does her taxes? There's got to be a way to reduce taxable income by $25. Its probably too late to amend, well not technically, but it'd be a red flag. Anyways though, she should definitely do a little better tax planning this year, maybe a 401k, or some other pre-tax investment, charitable donations, something. That just sucks dude.

SassyLady
05-21-2012, 03:27 AM
Hey LR ... why are you continually flipping me off?

BTW ... I'm the one that has gas at $4.49 down the street. I go to COSTCO and it was $4.19.

I've always wondered why gas is more expensive when so close to refineries. Makes my little pea brain boil trying to reason it out.

logroller
05-21-2012, 03:50 AM
Hey LR ... why are you continually flipping me off?

BTW ... I'm the one that has gas at $4.49 down the street. I go to COSTCO and it was $4.19.

I've always wondered why gas is more expensive when so close to refineries. Makes my little pea brain boil trying to reason it out.

You talking about my sig? It's not continual; it's intermittent.:laugh:

I pay a tenth of a cent less than you.
:p

As for why, could be a variety of things. Usually has to do with the price point set by the retailer. Costco, for example, doesn't use fuel as an income generator, but rather as a way of attracting customers. Even gas chains, chevron/citgo/shell whoever, capitalize on the convenience sales inside the store make up for low profits, even losses on their fuel sales. The location, as in my case, was along an interstate and although there were other retailers there, it was the only stop for 30 miles.

fj1200
05-21-2012, 08:21 AM
I hear you! I'm so frustrated that it's taking so long for the mortgage company to OK my short sale! I know they will, difference is significantly less than $10k, bringing me to court will take longer and cost more.

Can't you take a loan on the difference? You're already an unsecured risk to them at this point so there wouldn't be much difference. It at least gets you out from under the house and gives you flexibility.

G/L either way.

fj1200
05-21-2012, 08:23 AM
So, this week, I went to stomp about in Williamsburg, VA, since I'm looking to get me and my mom moved down that way, hopefully this summer. In any event, as I was walking around, it felt a little weird.

Sounds like your decision has already been made. :cool:

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 01:11 PM
What??????? Who does her taxes? There's got to be a way to reduce taxable income by $25. Its probably too late to amend, well not technically, but it'd be a red flag. Anyways though, she should definitely do a little better tax planning this year, maybe a 401k, or some other pre-tax investment, charitable donations, something. That just sucks dude.

Nope, and she still wouldn't qualify for anything. She's getting the extra hit on both state and federal. What part of "She's making less" says there's going to be an increase in spending for us for things like donating to charity, or a 401k? There's no money to invest, or we wouldn't really be in this position to begin with. We need that money for things like rent, utilities, food, and medicine for mom's blood pressure and cholesterol so that she doesn't lose her job.

See, this is always the problem with progressive taxes. Why does a person making $49,999.99 a year have to pay less percentage of their taxes that the person making $50,000 a year? Is that one penny a year really putting them ahead that much?

jimnyc
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
I love the Williamsburg area, and the not so distant Busch Gardens! And the people are MUCH friendlier down that way than here in NY.

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 01:19 PM
I love the Williamsburg area, and the not so distant Busch Gardens! And the people are MUCH friendlier down that way than here in NY.

Plus don't forget the Busch Factory next door. Much fun to be had by all. If you're a VA resident, you can get a Fun Pass that works as a season pass to the park for the summer, and it costs the same as a regular admission, so there's really no reason not to take up the offer. Also nearby is Water Country USA, a pretty awesome water park.

And the people are a huge attraction to the area. Combined with how much they're looking for employees, there's just no way to pass it up.

logroller
05-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Nope, and she still wouldn't qualify for anything. She's getting the extra hit on both state and federal. What part of "She's making less" says there's going to be an increase in spending for us for things like donating to charity, or a 401k? There's no money to invest, or we wouldn't really be in this position to begin with. We need that money for things like rent, utilities, food, and medicine for mom's blood pressure and cholesterol so that she doesn't lose her job.

See, this is always the problem with progressive taxes. Why does a person making $49,999.99 a year have to pay less percentage of their taxes that the person making $50,000 a year? Is that one penny a year really putting them ahead that much?

I though you said she grossed more; therefor she made more. The fact it bumped her into a higher tax-bracket, well that sucks but they have to draw a line somewhere, right?
What I'm telling you is the tax rate is set off of the adjusted gross income; which can be reduced. If you reduce that, then you pay less taxes and get to keep more of your income to pay bills.
Trust me--Hire a tax guy-- it'll be money in the bank. Or don't, uncle Sam really wants your tax revenue.

jimnyc
05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Plus don't forget the Busch Factory next door. Much fun to be had by all. If you're a VA resident, you can get a Fun Pass that works as a season pass to the park for the summer, and it costs the same as a regular admission, so there's really no reason not to take up the offer. Also nearby is Water Country USA, a pretty awesome water park.

And the people are a huge attraction to the area. Combined with how much they're looking for employees, there's just no way to pass it up.

I remember my Dad getting hammered on the tour there when we were kids. We used to go there yearly and I always thought the Busch tour was a waste. I was only there once since becoming 'legal', and the woman doesn't drink, so we passed. Plus I'm a big lover of rides, especially coasters, and they don't mix well with drinking!

tailfins
05-21-2012, 01:36 PM

Wow! What a difference a fifty miles make! In MA if your earnings are reduced by more than a certain amount, you're considered unemployed. Once you are collecting, the first $200 doesn't affect your benefits. Can't you find any work in Stockbridge or Pittsfield?

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 01:42 PM
I though you said she grossed more; therefor she made more. The fact it bumped her into a higher tax-bracket, well that sucks but they have to draw a line somewhere, right?
What I'm telling you is the tax rate is set off of the adjusted gross income; which can be reduced. If you reduce that, then you pay less taxes and get to keep more of your income to pay bills.
Trust me--Hire a tax guy-- it'll be money in the bank. Or don't, uncle Sam really wants your tax revenue.

Except we don't because we'd still have to spend the money out to reduce the tax. IT's only changing the direction of being fucked, not the being fucked part.

Where do you think we are getting money for a "tax guy", when we barely have enough for necessities, and putting small amounts away for getting somewhere not so screwed?

Listen to yourself talk, you're spending "spend more", and "buy this", but that digs us deeper. So which should we skip to do those things? Stop eating, or stop paying rent?

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Wow! What a difference a fifty miles make! In MA if your earnings are reduced by more than a certain amount, you're considered unemployed. Once you are collecting, the first $200 don't affect your benefits. Can't you find any work in Stockbridge or Pittsfield?

Nope, and to qual for state unemployment in Mass., we'd have to live there. Then there's the added expense of the car and gas. Her earnings weren't "reduced", they were "Increased". It's the taxes that broke them down.

tailfins
05-21-2012, 02:03 PM
Nope, and to qual for state unemployment in Mass., we'd have to live there. Then there's the added expense of the car and gas. Her earnings weren't "reduced", they were "Increased". It's the taxes that broke them down.

Actually, you don't. They're crazy on Beacon Hill. If you earn a single dollar in MA, you can apply for Mass(ive) benefits under MA rules.

logroller
05-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Except we don't because we'd still have to spend the money out to reduce the tax. IT's only changing the direction of being fucked, not the being fucked part.

Where do you think we are getting money for a "tax guy", when we barely have enough for necessities, and putting small amounts away for getting somewhere not so screwed?

Listen to yourself talk, you're spending "spend more", and "buy this", but that digs us deeper. So which should we skip to do those things? Stop eating, or stop paying rent?

Look I'm just trying to show how to keep more of your hard-earned money. It's sound and legal financial advice. DO you want that? If so, I can break it down with an example with numbers. Say you spend/invest/donate $500 to net you a tax reduction of $1500; that'd be a $1000 comeuppance. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Of course it would. Where to get that money?.... Change your exemptions to max for a month, use that money to pay for it. Then afterwards you can change it back to where the government takes less out each check in anticipation of the now lesser tax burden you'll be required to pay come April. All meaning more money for the things you need to pay for. I get the tax codes are convoluted to the point of insanity; but take advantage of them where you can-- you'd be crazy not to.

ConHog
05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
I remember my Dad getting hammered on the tour there when we were kids. We used to go there yearly and I always thought the Busch tour was a waste. I was only there once since becoming 'legal', and the woman doesn't drink, so we passed. Plus I'm a big lover of rides, especially coasters, and they don't mix well with drinking!

At the one in St Louis they used to have all you can drink at the end of the tour, but now it's two smallish glasses per visitor.My wife hates beer, so I get 4 when we go, but still.

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Look I'm just trying to show how to keep more of your hard-earned money. It's sound and legal financial advice. DO you want that? If so, I can break it down with an example with numbers. Say you spend/invest/donate $500 to net you a tax reduction of $1500; that'd be a $1000 comeuppance. Wouldn't that be a good thing? Of course it would. Where to get that money?.... Change your exemptions to max for a month, use that money to pay for it. Then afterwards you can change it back to where the government takes less out each check in anticipation of the now lesser tax burden you'll be required to pay come April. All meaning more money for the things you need to pay for. I get the tax codes are convoluted to the point of insanity; but take advantage of them where you can-- you'd be crazy not to.

Okay, again, which should we do without so that we can do these things? Rent or food?

We don't have 500, we don't have 50. Shit, the only reason I even got to see Avengers was cause my buddies paid for it. Even the Williamsburg run for a few days had me crashing on a buddies couch, and it took months of saving even then. Defrauding the government for a month is not a viable solution. I already optimize my deductions, as does mom, so any further ones are us stealing from the government.

ConHog
05-21-2012, 02:26 PM
Okay, again, which should we do without so that we can do these things? Rent or food?

We don't have 500, we don't have 50. Shit, the only reason I even got to see Avengers was cause my buddies paid for it. Even the Williamsburg run for a few days had me crashing on a buddies couch, and it took months of saving even then. Defrauding the government for a month is not a viable solution. I already optimize my deductions, as does mom, so any further ones are us stealing from the government.

damn bro, u got paypal, I'll send you $20. Seriously.......

fj1200
05-21-2012, 02:30 PM

Making more money might bump you into a higher marginal bracket but that only affects the last bit of dollars. You don't pay the higher rate on all your earnings, only the last dollars. The problem is getting bumped into a higher bracket of withholding, then you'd get those back at the end of the year if you didn't go through the trouble of adjusting them.

ConHog
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM
you guys really mess with adjusting your exemptions monthly and shit? damn, I just give my stuff to an accountant every year and let him worry about it.

logroller
05-21-2012, 02:57 PM

How is that fraud? Its your money until April 15.

2011 FEDERAL TAX BRACKETS

SINGLE EARNERS2011 FEDERAL TAX BRACKETS• Taxable Income:
Income Tax:
• $0 - $8,500
10% of the amount over $0
• $8,501 - $34,500
$850 plus 15% of the amount over $8,500
• $34,001 - $83,600
$4,750 plus 25% of the amount over $34,000
• $82,601 - $174,400
$17,025 plus 28% of the amount over $83,600
• $174,401 - $379,150
$42,449 plus 33% of the amount over $174,400
• $379,151 +
$110,016.50 plus 35% of the amount over $379,150

Did she, or did she not go into another tax bracket by $25? Was that state or federal?
I ask this because you mentioned the tax bracket split at $50k; yet, from what I can tell, that's not the case. You constantly deride me for not understanding your financial plight; yet at $50k income, your household grosses more than mine! Its getting to sound you just want to whine about it, instead of doing something about it-- So I'll not burden you with any more advice. I'm sure Uncle Sam's coffers appreciate it.

revelarts
05-21-2012, 03:35 PM
Dragon my family's from around that area.
Williamsburg Yorktown is probably the best living you can get in the area overall. My wife wants us to retire to Yorktown.
the 7 cities, Williamsburg, Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach all have nice areas but I don't know if Williamsburg has ANY bad areas. Overall it's the Park Place of the area. But the livings pretty decent all around Hampton Roads. And like you said the unemployment rate there is less than the nat'l avg like 3% or something i heard. Come on down man.

Kathianne
05-21-2012, 03:36 PM
Somebody DS/Kathianne mentioned gas prices. Now I'm smart enough not to bite the proverbial hand that feeds me, and since I'll most likely be working in the oil and gas industry, I don't usually complain about gas prices. However, I recently paid the most I've ever paid for gas anywhere near where I live, $4.489 regular. Which is about a 25 cents higher than in town...curiously, I know the oil leases and refineries were actually closer, less than 5 miles away. That's like going to a winery and paying more for the wine than in the store. I'm sure there's some supply/demand explanation; but that's just irritating.

We were paying $4.90 this winter for a time. There is corruption between our state legislature and some aspect of the oil industry. There's no reason for IL to require a blend that no other state has!

logroller
05-21-2012, 03:48 PM
We were paying $4.90 this winter for a time. There is corruption between our state legislature and some aspect of the oil industry. There's no reason for IL to require a blend that no other state has!

Not just oil, ethanol too. Ethanol/corn subsidies certainly play a role in the corruption lobbying. What ever happened with the blender's credit last summer; wasn't it dropped? Plus decreased corn/ethanol production during winter. It's complex.

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 04:16 PM
How is that fraud? Its your money until April 15.

Did she, or did she not go into another tax bracket by $25? Was that state or federal?
I ask this because you mentioned the tax bracket split at $50k; yet, from what I can tell, that's not the case. You constantly deride me for not understanding your financial plight; yet at $50k income, your household grosses more than mine! Its getting to sound you just want to whine about it, instead of doing something about it-- So I'll not burden you with any more advice. I'm sure Uncle Sam's coffers appreciate it.

OMG, it was an example. Use which ever amount you like, be it $1, or $1,000,000.00, subtract one cent, and tell me why that person less tax liable than the person who makes 1 cent a year more.

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
Dragon my family's from around that area.
Williamsburg Yorktown is probably the best living you can get in the area overall. My wife wants us to retire to Yorktown.
the 7 cities, Williamsburg, Newport News, Hampton, Norfolk, Suffolk, Portsmouth, Virginia Beach all have nice areas but I don't know if Williamsburg has ANY bad areas. Overall it's the Park Place of the area. But the livings pretty decent all around Hampton Roads. And like you said the unemployment rate there is less than the nat'l avg like 3% or something i heard. Come on down man.

Ypu, I was in Norfolk for years. I even lived inside the colonial area at one point, when my fiancee at the time was an historic interpreter. We lived in Scrivener's Kitchen, across from Shield's Tavern. It was great, cause I worked as a host there, so my commute was a two minute walk from my front door to the employee entrance to Shield's

ConHog
05-21-2012, 04:20 PM
OMG, it was an example. Use which ever amount you like, be it $1, or $1,000,000.00, subtract one cent, and tell me why that person less tax liable than the person who makes 1 cent a year more.

Beacause under the current tax law a line has to be drawn somewhere and no matter where it is drawn someone is gonna say "why there?"

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Beacause under the current tax law a line has to be drawn somewhere and no matter where it is drawn someone is gonna say "why there?"

So basically "cuz". That would be my main problem with the whole progressive system. It screws over people, and not just those who are rich. It can screw poor people over as well.

logroller
05-21-2012, 04:42 PM

What was your marginal tax rate last year? Meaning he tax rate for the last dollar earned.
And what was you average tax rate? Meaning the rate you paid overall, on all income.
The closer those two are; the greater your incentive to seek deductions.

Kathianne
05-21-2012, 04:55 PM
Not just oil, ethanol too. Ethanol/corn subsidies certainly play a role in the corruption lobbying. What ever happened with the blender's credit last summer; wasn't it dropped? Plus decreased corn/ethanol production during winter. It's complex.

True on the ethanol, IL is one of the states that allows the % to be quite high. However, there's no doubt in my mind that kickbacks are involved in this state. Most corrupt ever!

ConHog
05-21-2012, 05:14 PM
So basically "cuz". That would be my main problem with the whole progressive system. It screws over people, and not just those who are rich. It can screw poor people over as well.

You know, when 47% of filers pay ZERO in income tax, I have a hard time with the "the tax system is unfair to the poor" argument. Plainly put, it's bunk.

DragonStryk72
05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
You know, when 47% of filers pay ZERO in income tax, I have a hard time with the "the tax system is unfair to the poor" argument. Plainly put, it's bunk.

Yeah, not part of that 47%. I'm white, male, and don't feel I should rip off the government by rights.

logroller
05-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Yeah, not part of that 47%. I'm white, male, and don't feel I should rip off the government by rights.

So, you're happy to pay taxes then? It sounded like you were disenfranchised with the tax system.
Believe it or not, the tax system has a multitude of available incentives. Starting a business, for one, has tons of deductions available. You ever thought about starting a one?

ConHog
05-21-2012, 05:44 PM

You're not ripping off the government if you do as they suggest. You're tax bill isn't due until April 17. Really all you're doing with your payroll deduction is making installment payments on your yearly bill. Monthly installments that don't have an absolute payment amt.

DragonStryk72
07-11-2012, 12:04 AM
1) my mother will never go for something that convoluted, not on her blood pressure. So, no.

2) The whole point has been rendered moot. We're doing the move down to Williamsburg in the next few days, found a 2 bedroom apartment, 975 sq ft, for 510 a month with Washer/Dryer hookups. So it's Hasta Man-Never to New York.

I already have a few jobs lined up, with more rolling in as I go along. Mom's going to continue her run as a school bus driver for the time being, though it'll be for James City County schools now. All in all, we'll be making a bit more, but we'll be spending more than $200 less a month on just rent & bills alone. There are a lot of incidental costs that will be lower as well, so we'll be able to actually save money, do trips, get a car for mom, stuff like that.

Feeling pretty good about finally going home, and better about getting mom there with me.

logroller
07-11-2012, 02:46 AM
Hope your move goes well!!! Where's Williamsburg...VA?

DragonStryk72
07-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Hope your move goes well!!! Where's Williamsburg...VA?

yup

ConHog
07-11-2012, 10:49 AM
1) my mother will never go for something that convoluted, not on her blood pressure. So, no.

2) The whole point has been rendered moot. We're doing the move down to Williamsburg in the next few days, found a 2 bedroom apartment, 975 sq ft, for 510 a month with Washer/Dryer hookups. So it's Hasta Man-Never to New York.

I already have a few jobs lined up, with more rolling in as I go along. Mom's going to continue her run as a school bus driver for the time being, though it'll be for James City County schools now. All in all, we'll be making a bit more, but we'll be spending more than $200 less a month on just rent & bills alone. There are a lot of incidental costs that will be lower as well, so we'll be able to actually save money, do trips, get a car for mom, stuff like that.

Feeling pretty good about finally going home, and better about getting mom there with me.

glad things are looking up for you.

I won't harsh your buzz by telling you what $510 a month would get you in northwest Arkansas. :coffee:

fj1200
07-11-2012, 02:02 PM

I won't harsh your buzz by telling you what $510 a month would get you in northwest Arkansas. :coffee:

Of course the tar-paper siding would spoil the view. :poke:

ConHog
07-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Of course the tar-paper siding would spoil the view. :poke:

oh come on, I said Arkansas, not Mississippi.

fj1200
07-11-2012, 02:11 PM
oh come on, I said Arkansas, not Mississippi.

My apologies. Arkansas has that roll-on stuff that looks like bricks?

:hide:

:laugh:

ConHog
07-11-2012, 02:15 PM
My apologies. Arkansas has that roll-on stuff that looks like bricks?

:hide:

:laugh:

'

True story, we moved here in 1982 and my parents built a new house, first one in town to have a private phone line.

Since then Arkansas has caught up with the times, hell we even have the high speed internets.

fj1200
07-11-2012, 02:20 PM
'

True story, we moved here in 1982 and my parents built a new house, first one in town to have a private party line.

Since then Arkansas has caught up with the times, hell we even have the high speed internets.

I'll assume that my nephew likes it there since being based near Little Rock he got married, moved his wife down there, and bought a house. :thumbsup: They're even multiplying. He will have to do some Alabama time though when he's in Air Force OTS.

ConHog
07-11-2012, 02:32 PM
I'll assume that my nephew likes it there since being based near Little Rock he got married, moved his wife down there, and bought a house. :thumbsup: They're even multiplying. He will have to do some Alabama time though when he's in Air Force OTS.

Little Rock is an another country compared to where I live. It's a "real" city, complete with crime and all. Around here not so much. The big crime last week was some idiot was driving through town with a truck that was back firing so badly that it was catching yards on fire and like Mr Magoo he just kept driving unaware of the fires he was causing until the police stopped him. Caught 8 or 9 yards on fire (small fires of course)

DragonStryk72
07-11-2012, 02:53 PM

lol, well, the work right now is in Williamsburg, so that would be sort of a long commute

ConHog
07-11-2012, 03:17 PM
lol, well, the work right now is in Williamsburg, so that would be sort of a long commute

lol no doubt no doubt.

Things are actually picking up around here. We're seeing more money flowing, new construction going on , people are hiring again. You can even tell at Wal Mart , people are spending again, and buying things that are definitely luxury items, TVs, computers, that sort of thing........

Not sure why the change, but something is in the air.......

SassyLady
07-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Talking about rental prices......I have a cottage on my property that is only 440 sq. ft and it rents for $975/month and it could go for well over $1,200.00, but I feel guilty charging as much as I do.

To get close to 1,000 sq. ft for $510 is great.

red states rule
07-12-2012, 02:52 AM
Talking about rental prices......I have a cottage on my property that is only 440 sq. ft and it rents for $975/month and it could go for well over $1,200.00, but I feel guilty charging as much as I do.

To get close to 1,000 sq. ft for $510 is great.

My 3BR Cape Cod house goes for $500/month and the cats have about 1600 sq ft of oak floors to relax on