PDA

View Full Version : Was just out watching the eclipse. Way cool

Little-Acorn
05-20-2012, 09:12 PM
Haven't seen one of those in a coon's age. It was nearly total, with about 80% of the sun's disc obscured. Perfect time (5:30-7:50PM), perfect Sandy Eggo weather (cloudless, sunny, 65F, no mist or marine layer). Did both the pinhole trick and the mirror trick, both worked. If we'd been in San Francisco we would have seen a perfect bullseye, but all things considered I'd rather be here.

My kids were impressed, so were the neighbors. Most of them had never heard of a pinhole camera, most didn't know an eclipse was coming (neither did I until I happened to catch a news broadcast this morning). Now they think I'm a genius or a wizard or something, because I bounced a mirror beam off a tall house at the end of our street and got a perfect image of the sun with a big bite out of it. (STOP signs work even better cuz they're so reflective). Yeah, a lot of intellectual activity going on there, yuh get out duh mirror and yuh points it. Also got out a magnifying glass and set a piece of newspaper on fire for the kids, which made eyes bug out.

Don't tell me I'm the ONLY one who has been doing that since age 8. Come ON.

(I still refer to magnifying glasses in the office, as "ant burners".)

:D :D :D

SassyLady
05-21-2012, 02:10 AM
My comments from thread started by Logroller:

I had forgotten about it until I noticed some weird shadows on my fence and sidewalk. Walked around back of house to see what was going on and found even more funny looking shadows. Couldn't connect the shape (started with 'C' shape and then it turned sideways 'C' shape). Remembered about the ring of fire/eclipse and ran into basement to get welding helmets. We watched for about 30-45 minutes. Even shared the helmet with neighbors on both sides because they had no way of looking at it. Will download picture of shadows later.

The light was also different ... kinda diffused and everything was so eerily quiet.

Awesome experience.

logroller
05-21-2012, 02:53 AM
I hurriedly sacrificed animals to appease the gods. Crisis averted. You're welcome People of Earth. :thanks:

SassyLady
05-21-2012, 03:29 AM
I hurriedly sacrificed animals to appease the gods. Crisis averted. You're welcome People of Earth. :thanks:

I sure hope it was possum that you sacrificed and not a little, itty, bitty rabbit.

logroller
05-21-2012, 03:59 AM
I sure hope it was possum that you sacrificed and not a little, itty, bitty rabbit.

Desperate times require desperate measures. As such, I stuck to endangered and threatened species.

SassyLady
05-21-2012, 05:39 AM
Desperate times require desperate measures. As such, I stuck to endangered and threatened species.

:bunny4:

:di:

:gay:

:boobies:

logroller
05-21-2012, 05:57 AM
:bunny4:

:di:

:gay:

:boobies:
Thanks SL. I was feeling bad about running over that rabbit on saturday. Now...not so much.

SassyLady
05-22-2012, 01:24 AM
Thanks SL. I was feeling bad about running over that rabbit on saturday. Now...not so much.

Good thing it wasn't one of those other endangered species I pointed out.