PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's struggles to find staff in Red China

tailfins
05-21-2012, 06:48 AM
McDonald’s lures young Chinese workers
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/380db252-a276-11e1-a605-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1vVHpiz5h

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/380db252-a276-11e1-a605-00144feabdc0.html#ixzz1vVIuyXp3

McDonald’s on Sunday turned its 1,400 restaurants in China in to one-stop recruitment centres in a bid to lure 70,000 of the mainland’s increasingly picky workers into jobs at the burger brand.

I read stuff like this about quality of life improving for the Red Chinese and see the US becoming less and less free. I wonder if the gap between the two will someday disappear. In an old-style planned Communist system, the workers would simply be ordered to report to McDonald's for work.

ConHog
05-21-2012, 07:56 AM
McDonald’s lures young Chinese workers
http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/380db252-a276-11e1-a605-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1vVHpiz5h

I read stuff like this about quality of life improving for the Red Chinese and see the US becoming less and less free. I wonder if the gap between the two will someday disappear. In an old-style planned Communist system, the workers would simply be ordered to report to McDonald's for work.

Don't kid yourself, the Chinese have adapted to capitalism out of the greed of their rulers , but that capitalism doesn't translate to freedom for their "subjects." Some of you guys crack me up with your "we're not really free" crap, prisoners in the US have as much freedom as the average Chinese citizen.

tailfins
05-21-2012, 08:45 AM
Don't kid yourself, the Chinese have adapted to capitalism out of the greed of their rulers , but that capitalism doesn't translate to freedom for their "subjects." Some of you guys crack me up with your "we're not really free" crap, prisoners in the US have as much freedom as the average Chinese citizen.

The US in general, and Louisiana in particular have higher incarceration rates than Red China. The only thing is that here in the US, we are only a single good election away from a complete audit and selective dismantling of the bureaucracy that makes us less free.

logroller
05-21-2012, 09:43 AM
The US in general, and Louisiana in particular have higher incarceration rates than Red China. The only thing is that here in the US, we are only a single good election away from a complete audit and selective dismantling of the bureaucracy that makes us less free.

I hear the faint echo of a rally cry, change we need.

ConHog
05-21-2012, 10:32 AM

Well , I would argue that on a couple points.

1. China isn't exactly upfront with us, no telling what their actual incarceration rate is.
2. China just does away with career criminals, they don't house them.

In addition, it is a fact that some of the very freedoms you so rightly cherish allow for criminal activity. For instance, China regulates travel VERY strictly, and so they have a noose around such things as trafficking.

Off the top of your head can you tell me the crime rates of the old Soviet Union?

Toro
05-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Who calls it "Red China" anymore?

ConHog
05-21-2012, 09:19 PM

Ronald Reagan?

tailfins
05-21-2012, 09:26 PM

That is to distinguish it from Free China, aka Taiwan. I support a one China policy, with the Nationalists in charge.

ConHog
05-21-2012, 09:30 PM
That is to distinguish it from Free China, aka Taiwan.

Officially we don't recognize Taiwan as being independent and therefor there is only one China.

tailfins
05-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Officially we don't recognize Taiwan as being independent and therefor there is only one China.

Of course Taiwan isn't independent. It's the provisional territory of the legitimate Chinese government (The Republic of China).

ConHog
05-22-2012, 08:18 AM
Of course Taiwan isn't independent. It's the provisional territory of the legitimate Chinese government (The Republic of China).

Exactly my point, and so there is no reason to refer to China as Red China to differentiate it from Taiwan. When we are talking about Taiwan, we say Taiwan, not China.

tailfins
05-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Exactly my point, and so there is no reason to refer to China as Red China to differentiate it from Taiwan. When we are talking about Taiwan, we say Taiwan, not China.

Red China serves as a reminder that they are not the legitimate Chinese government, but rather a criminal regime.

ConHog
05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
Red China serves as a reminder that they are not the legitimate Chinese government, but rather a criminal regime.

Incorrect, they ARE the legitimate Chinese government. We may not like them, and we may not like the way they came into being, but they ARE the legitimate government.