PDA

View Full Version : Romney's path winning electoral college , losing popular vote

tailfins
05-21-2012, 07:04 AM
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/05/20/how-another-electoral-split-decision-could-divide-america.html

PostmodernProphet
05-21-2012, 07:30 AM
seems to me the logical political path is to win the electoral college.....if Obama neglects that and just works on the popular vote he isn't very smart politically.....

All credible scenarios for a Romney victory with his “swing state” strategy (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/12/why-the-major-mainstream-media-hates-mitt-romney.html) begin with the presumptive GOP nominee holding all 22 states McCain carried, which are worth six additional electoral votes this time because of reapportionment (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2011/08/27/census-data-shows-people-are-moving-from-blue-to-red-states.html). From this Republican base, Romney needs to implement a three/two/one trifecta: winning back the three traditionally Republican states (Indiana, North Carolina, and Virginia) that Obama carried last time; seizing the two perennial battlegrounds that elected George W. Bush twice (Ohio and Florida); and then winning one more state—even a very small state—(New Hampshire is a likely candidate) to bring him the magic number of 270 electoral votes.

if you look at it this way, Obama hasn't got a prayer......

fj1200
05-21-2012, 07:58 AM
Unlikely for a wide spread in the popular vote methinks when Romney wins the EC.

PostmodernProphet
05-21-2012, 09:51 AM
Unlikely for a wide spread in the popular vote methinks when Romney wins the EC.

I suppose if the Democratic candidate took 100% of the vote in California and New York and only 49% of the vote in the other 48 states it's possible.......however, I disagree with the premise of the OP that this should be grounds for revolt on the part of the left.....if anything, it should be grounds for the left saying "why are our candidates so fricking stupid that they didn't realize this while campaigning...

tailfins
05-21-2012, 09:54 AM
I suppose if the Democratic candidate took 100% of the vote in California and New York and only 49% of the vote in the other 48 states it's possible.......however, I disagree with the premise of the OP that this should be grounds for revolt on the part of the left.....if anything, it should be grounds for the left saying "why are our candidates so fricking stupid that they didn't realize this while campaigning...

The numbers were not that lopsided in 2000 last time it happened.

The left taking responsibility for their own actions? If they did that, there would be no basis for their ideology and they would become obsolete.

PostmodernProphet
05-21-2012, 09:57 AM
as far as I'm concerned its the way things should be...who wants to live in a world where California and New York carry the most weight......

PostmodernProphet
05-21-2012, 09:58 AM
The numbers were not that lopsided in 2000 last time it happened.

and the courts were able to keep the Democrats from stealing the election.......

tailfins
05-21-2012, 10:05 AM
and the courts were able to keep the Democrats from stealing the election.......

I like to play the left's game back on them. The purpose of the electoral college is to isolate ballot box stuffing. I could even support implementing the Maine and Nebraska model in all 50 states, but that's as far as it should go.

05-23-2012, 12:12 AM
If events keep up as I'm expecting, I think we will see a landslide in Romney's favor. I could be wrong. But I dont think I am. I try not to be.

PostmodernProphet
05-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Oklahoma is not a swing state.....a recent poll shows Romney up over Obama by 35 points.....

PostmodernProphet
05-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Senate coattails.....
Nebraska.....Fischer (R) leads incumbent Kerry (D) by 18pts.....
Michigan incumbent Stabinaw (D) leads Hoekstra (R) by 5 points.....two months ago she led by 21 pts......

Anton Chigurh
05-23-2012, 07:12 AM
The numbers were not that lopsided in 2000 last time it happened.And yet, if Al Gore had merely won his own home state of Tennessee, he would have been President and the Florida vote would have been irrelevant.

Little known historical footnote.

tailfins
05-23-2012, 08:58 AM
And yet, if Al Gore had merely won his own home state of Tennessee, he would have been President and the Florida vote would have been irrelevant.

Little known historical footnote.

If Mitt Romney wins his home state of Michigan or in his wife's home state of Massachusetts, 2012 won't even be close.

PostmodernProphet
05-23-2012, 10:09 AM
If Mitt Romney wins his home state of Michigan or in his wife's home state of Massachusetts, 2012 won't even be close.

he will win Michigan, but not because it's his home state.....it will be because 400,000 of Obama's base have moved out of the Detroit area since 2008 looking for jobs......I've lived in Michigan since 1978, nobody here has ever mentioned that the governor of Massachusetts should call Michigan his home state....