PDA

View Full Version : US senator calls for American troops in Darfur

stephanie
05-22-2007, 02:13 AM
22 May 2007 06:17:33 GMT
Source: Reuters

UNITED NATIONS, May 22 (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Joe Biden said that he would commit U.S. forces immediately to stop militia in Sudan's Darfur region as long as there were reports of genocide.

Biden, a presidential candidate and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on Monday that in his personal opinion nations had at "some point to cede their sovereignty" if they engaged in genocide.

Biden, a Democrat from Delaware, said U.S. President George W. Bush had made clear that sanctions would be the next step if the United Nations was not ready to send a large force to reinforce the African Union troops in Darfur.

More than 200,000 people have died and 2 million have been uprooted from their homes in the four-year-old conflict between ethnic African repels and the government, backed by the Arab Janjaweed militia.

"I would impose a no-fly zone immediately and I would commit (U.S.) forces to stop the Janjaweed now. But I am not making that decision," Biden told reporters.

Biden was leading a bipartisan delegation, which conferred with Security Council members, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Sheikha Haya Rashed Al Khalifa, the General Assembly president on a variety of issues.

Sen. Bob Corker, a Tennessee Republican, and Rep. Benjamin Cardin, a Maryland Democratic, did not join Biden in calling for U.S. troops but stressed that a solution to the Darfur crisis was foremost in the discussions.

"The most urgent conversation was on Darfur and how quickly a (U.N.) force could get on the ground," Cardin said.

Sudan's U.N. Ambassador Abdalmahmood Abdelhaleem, however, was angry at the comments, saying the senators "should first come with clean hands and apologize to the U.N. for the mess the United States did in Iraq."

He said Sudan would decide on a peacekeeping force of more than 20,000 troops and police after the United Nations and the African Union had agreed on a plan and sent it to Khartoum.

"There is good momentum in the region," he said, calling Biden's remarks "unwarranted and out of context."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N21373228.htm

nevadamedic
05-22-2007, 02:26 AM
22 May 2007 06:17:33 GMT
Source: Reuters

UNITED NATIONS, May 22 (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Joe Biden said that he would commit U.S. forces immediately to stop militia in Sudan's Darfur region as long as there were reports of genocide.

Biden, a presidential candidate and chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, said on Monday that in his personal opinion nations had at "some point to cede their sovereignty" if they engaged in genocide.

Biden, a Democrat from Delaware, said U.S. President George W. Bush had made clear that sanctions would be the next step if the United Nations was not ready to send a large force to reinforce the African Union troops in Darfur.

More than 200,000 people have died and 2 million have been uprooted from their homes in the four-year-old conflict between ethnic African repels and the government, backed by the Arab Janjaweed militia.

"I would impose a no-fly zone immediately and I would commit (U.S.) forces to stop the Janjaweed now. But I am not making that decision," Biden told reporters.

Biden was leading a bipartisan delegation, which conferred with Security Council members, U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and Sheikha Haya Rashed Al Khalifa, the General Assembly president on a variety of issues.

Sen. Bob Corker, a Tennessee Republican, and Rep. Benjamin Cardin, a Maryland Democratic, did not join Biden in calling for U.S. troops but stressed that a solution to the Darfur crisis was foremost in the discussions.

"The most urgent conversation was on Darfur and how quickly a (U.N.) force could get on the ground," Cardin said.

Sudan's U.N. Ambassador Abdalmahmood Abdelhaleem, however, was angry at the comments, saying the senators "should first come with clean hands and apologize to the U.N. for the mess the United States did in Iraq."

He said Sudan would decide on a peacekeeping force of more than 20,000 troops and police after the United Nations and the African Union had agreed on a plan and sent it to Khartoum.

"There is good momentum in the region," he said, calling Biden's remarks "unwarranted and out of context."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N21373228.htm

I thought Pelosi fixed all the problems over then when she defied our Government by going over there? :laugh2:

Monkeybone
05-22-2007, 07:31 AM
what is with all the sanctions if they don't do anything?

Mr. P
05-22-2007, 07:42 AM

Well, we know it takes over 4 years so far and since it is the UN we're talking about don't hold yer breath.

LiberalNation
05-22-2007, 10:31 AM
No way. It would just be a big mess. It's not our problem or responisbility to help them.

Mr. P
05-22-2007, 10:44 AM
No way. It would just be a big mess. It's not our problem or responisbility to help them.

If you came across a roach that was being attacked by birds, would you scare the birds away and help the roach to safety? Why/why not?

LiberalNation
05-22-2007, 10:48 AM
No, the birds can eat the roach for all i care. I don't like roaches, and when the cat eats the bird it can have it too.

Mr. P
05-22-2007, 10:52 AM
No, the birds can eat the roach for all i care. I don't like roaches, and when the cat eats the bird it can have it too.

How about a beautiful butterfly being attacked, would you save it? Why?

LiberalNation
05-22-2007, 10:56 AM
No, because I don't care about bugs and why would I want to starve the pretty birds for a butterfly.

Mr. P
05-22-2007, 11:01 AM
No, because I don't care about bugs and why would I want to starve the pretty birds for a butterfly.

Ok, you could care less about most everything right?

LiberalNation
05-22-2007, 11:03 AM
No, I'm not going to put myself out for something that always going to happen. Do you think American should die and spend billions for Dafur. There is nothing in it for us at all and we would just be getting into a mess.

Mr. P
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
No, I'm not going to put myself out for something that always going to happen. Do you think American should die and spend billions for Dafur. There is nothing in it for us at all and we would just be getting into a mess.

So there must be something "IN IT" for us to help stop genocide?

You didn't care about the roach the Butterfly or the bird, how about the cat?
How about human beings?

LiberalNation
05-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I care about myself, my country cuz I live here, my countries allies cuz they support the country I live in, Dafur is none of these so no, I see no reason to waste American lives and money on them.

Monkeybone
05-22-2007, 12:23 PM
so you wouldn't have cared about the Jews being killed then in WWII?

LiberalNation
05-22-2007, 12:25 PM
Did the US care about the Jews being cared in WW2, did anyone. Most restricted them from getting in their countries. hitler would have gone about his marry way had he not invaded other countries and no one woul dhave said a word about his killings. Stalin killed way more people and you hardly ever hear about them.

Monkeybone
05-22-2007, 12:38 PM
sorry, i meant you don't care. that was my bad.

i can understand not rushing in unless we are asked to help, but what if these ppl have no way of asking for help? because htey are less fortunate or half a world away it is ok for them to be killed with out a word about it? just shake your finger at them and boy will they have a hard time sleeping tonight

Mr. P
05-22-2007, 01:34 PM
I care about myself, my country cuz I live here, my countries allies cuz they support the country I live in, Dafur is none of these so no, I see no reason to waste American lives and money on them.

So you care about what benefits you where you are now. Otherwise nothing else matters, and you don't see people being killed in mass as any big deal. At least not enough to give a second thought to it because there is nothing "IN IT" for you.

Is that pretty much it?