PDA

View Full Version : Focusing

Wind Song
05-22-2012, 06:15 PM
by Eugene Gendlin. It involves being able to hang out with a feeling without being merged in it, and without exiliing it. That means not having a bias against whatever it is you're feeling.

Presence--is the part that is aware of the feeling
Merging---is when you're so caught up in the feeling that you are merged with it
Exile------is when you deny you have the feeling, or you dissociate from it, distance yourself from it.
Partiality--is mixed feelings, you have more than one feeling, or you have a feeling and a judgment about the feeling.

I just thought I'd toss out this subject because I'm interested in it.

Dilloduck
05-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Remaining in neutral is sorta boring ain't it ?

Abbey Marie
05-22-2012, 07:53 PM
I mean this respectfully- I think all this navel-gazing can be bad for us. I'm a proponent of getting outside of our heads, if you know what I mean.

Wind Song
05-22-2012, 08:06 PM
I mean this respectfully- I think all this navel-gazing can be bad for us. I'm a proponent of getting outside of our heads, if you know what I mean.

You mean this respectfully?

Abbey Marie
05-22-2012, 08:07 PM
You mean this respectfully?

That's what I said.

Wind Song
05-22-2012, 08:08 PM
That's what I said.

Why post on the topic when you have no interest in it? I'm curious about that.

ConHog
05-22-2012, 08:10 PM

She postd her OPINION on the subject, no harm no foul.

Abbey Marie
05-22-2012, 08:11 PM

I did post on the subject. You just don't like my opinion on it. That's ok.

Wind Song
05-22-2012, 08:15 PM
I did post on the subject. You just don't like my opinion on it. That's ok.

I don't care about that. Have whatever opinion you have. It's a guarantee if I introduce ANY new topic, it's not well received. No problem.

Let me know what topics, (if any), I can expect to find favorably received on this forum.

So far, any topic that I am well informed about seems to be problematic for this forum.

Abbey Marie
05-22-2012, 08:19 PM
I don't care about that. Have whatever opinion you have. It's a guarantee if I introduce ANY new topic, it's not well received. No problem.

Let me know what topics, (if any), I can expect to find favorably received on this forum.

So far, any topic that I am well informed about seems to be problematic for this forum.

If it wasn't well received by me, I would have ignored it. Maybe you could tell me/us why you disagree with my opinion on the matter? I'm sure others here would agree with you.

Dilloduck
05-22-2012, 08:21 PM

Stop with the "poor me crap". I made an honest effort at your thread.

ConHog
05-22-2012, 08:24 PM

You're still confused about this.

You pst interesting topics, but your OPINIONS are diametrically opposed to most on this board and so your posts get challenged a lot. BUT if your topics weren't well received people would be telling you to stop posting altogether. Or would just ignore your threads.

In other words, we can appreciate your posts while disagreeing with your opinion. You'd be well served to figure out that is how most feel.

Wind Song
05-22-2012, 08:40 PM
It's hard to have a discussion about it when no one knows what it is and/or isn't interested in it.

Dilloduck
05-22-2012, 08:42 PM
It's hard to have a discussion about it when no one knows what it is and/or isn't interested in it.

It's the price one has to pay for being so unique.

Wind Song
05-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Gotcha.

DragonStryk72
05-22-2012, 09:44 PM

Okay, I took a look around, and you seem to have mostly calmed down on here, so I'm taking a go at taking you off of ignore. Please don't burn me for this.

But to this point above, they were interested, that's why they responded. You refused to engage the discussion, instead falling back on old habits, reducing interest in the topic at hand. Try responding to their earlier points, and see how it goes.

Okay, now to the OP:

Focusing

by Eugene Gendlin. It involves being able to hang out with a feeling without being merged in it, and without exiling it. That means not having a bias against whatever it is you're feeling.

Merging---is when you're so caught up in the feeling that you are merged with it
Exile------is when you deny you have the feeling, or you dissociate from it, distance yourself from it.
Partiality--is mixed feelings, you have more than one feeling, or you have a feeling and a judgment about the feeling.

Okay, admittedly, you gave use very little on the subject, and did not include a link where we can learn more on the subject, so that's going to limit my response here.

Merging is the one of the list that bugs me, because it's definition is to be merged. It doesn't really explain that point, sort of like seeing a dictionary go "Driving: to drive". Yeah, it's technically accurate, but it doesn't really explain what driving is.

I think at times, theories like this tend to make bad assumptions. For instance, there is no way to not "judge" a feeling, even if it's done in less than a quarter second, we're simply going to judge it, even judging that it should not be judged is a judgment in itself. There should be bias against certain feelings, such as misplaced anger or aggression. To decide that every emotion is valid, is no more centered than deciding that every emotion is wrong. Do you take time to separate yourself from your happiness? No of course not, and so the process becomes one of judging your "negative" emotions.

Toro
05-22-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm feeling like another scotch.

I'm focusing on finishing it and maybe having another.

DragonStryk72
05-22-2012, 10:01 PM
I'm feeling like another scotch.

I'm focusing on finishing it and maybe having another.

lol, but are you going to merge with it?

Wind Song
05-22-2012, 11:06 PM
Here's a link for anyone interested in learning more about Focusing:

http://www.focusing.org/

http://www.focusingresources.com/irf/ann_weiser_cornell.htm

MtnBiker
05-22-2012, 11:11 PM
Another example of focus;

SassyLady
05-22-2012, 11:37 PM
by Eugene Gendlin. It involves being able to hang out with a feeling without being merged in it, and without exiliing it. That means not having a bias against whatever it is you're feeling.

I just thought I'd toss out this subject because I'm interested in it.

How do you plan to use this technique in your life?

logroller
05-23-2012, 12:54 AM
Ironically, I couldn't get through the OP without being distracted.

Toro
05-23-2012, 05:45 AM
lol, but are you going to merge with it?

I merged it with beer nuts.

darin
05-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Ironically, I couldn't get through the OP without being distracted.

Ironically part duex: The OP couldn't get through half-dozen replies without being distracted from the point / subject.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 07:30 AM
How do you plan to use this technique in your life?

I use it in my life now. I'm training in it, and I help others to learn it.

darin
05-23-2012, 07:31 AM
I use it in my life now. I'm training in it, and I help others to learn it.

How do you use it in your life, WS? Examples?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 07:37 AM
How do you use it in your life, WS? Examples?

I do Focusing sessions over the phone with people and in person. One person focuses and the other serves as companion or guide. We start with an overall mindfulness of the body, the external body, and then add mindfulness of all the places where we tend to feel things, such as in the throat, in the chest, in the abdomen and lower belly.

People tend to have either close experience, with strong emotion available, or distant experience, where it's hard for them to know what they're feeling.

It's possible to do this with an issue or without one.

What happens is that people move into awareness, and the states of mind they experience, they get some distance from. There is a natural ease that comes from "being with" something.

Say a strong state of mind, like fear. Fear is easily felt in the body, so is anger. It's also possible to notice judging or critical parts as well. So there can be a strong fear, and along with it, a judge that is averse to the fear.

Instead of being merged with the fear or the judgment, it's possible to just be with it.

darin
05-23-2012, 07:45 AM
I do Focusing sessions over the phone with people and in person. One person focuses and the other serves as companion or guide. We start with an overall mindfulness of the body, the external body, and then add mindfulness of all the places where we tend to feel things, such as in the throat, in the chest, in the abdomen and lower belly.

People tend to have either close experience, with strong emotion available, or distant experience, where it's hard for them to know what they're feeling.

It's possible to do this with an issue or without one.

Seems like an awful lot of work for something a shot of B&B (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_njFeziOZF44/ShvTP8pDWAI/AAAAAAAAAoU/9qjW09XyW0Q/s320/dombb.jpeg) could cure. :)

:D

How are results measured - is it just a case of 'I feel better'?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 07:50 AM
Seems like an awful lot of work for something a shot of B&B (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_njFeziOZF44/ShvTP8pDWAI/AAAAAAAAAoU/9qjW09XyW0Q/s320/dombb.jpeg) could cure. :)

How are results measured - is it just a case of 'I feel better'?

How are results measured? Subjectively and objectively. For example, one of my mentors, teaches from a Focusing point of view. In other words, he checks his words internally, to see if he chooses the ones that truly say what he means. That makes him an inspired speaker, and he is well respected in his field.

Rather than use examples from my own life, I'd rather have people share something from their lives and let me show how one would use Focusing with that.

darin
05-23-2012, 08:03 AM
How are results measured? Subjectively and objectively. For example, one of my mentors, teaches from a Focusing point of view. In other words, he checks his words internally, to see if he chooses the ones that truly say what he means. That makes him an inspired speaker, and he is well respected in his field.

Rather than use examples from my own life, I'd rather have people share something from their lives and let me show how one would use Focusing with that.

What are some of the objective measurements?

ConHog
05-23-2012, 08:06 AM
I would like to congratulate WS on her acceptance to the Jedi Academy.

Remember to focus Padawan, remember there is no try, there is only do or do not.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
What are some of the objective measurements?

One can observe a change of state from agitation to peace. It's pretty easy for anyone to notice that. Breathing changes, skin color, pulse, etc.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 08:08 AM
I would like to congratulate WS on her acceptance to the Jedi Academy.

Remember to focus Padawan, remember there is no try, there is only do or do not.

Ask yourself what your intention is with this post?

ConHog
05-23-2012, 08:10 AM
Ask yourself what your intention is with this post?

It was a gratuitous Star Wars quote. Nothing more, nothing less. Look at my post history: Star Wars, Godfather, Dazed and Confused, and Tombstone, I love to use the gratuitous quotes. :laugh2:

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 08:11 AM
It was a gratuitous Star Wars quote. Nothing more, nothing less. Look at my post history: Star Wars, Godfather, Dazed and Confused, and Tombstone, I love to use the gratuitous quotes. :laugh2:

So, it was a distraction, or a habit?

darin
05-23-2012, 08:21 AM
One can observe a change of state from agitation to peace. It's pretty easy for anyone to notice that. Breathing changes, skin color, pulse, etc.

That's subjective appearence of Peace. Even 'peace' is defined subjectively. Doesn't account for actors, either.

So, it was a distraction, or a habit?

have you seen the movie "Up"? In that movie, a dog wearing a collar that allows it to speak continually, mid-sentence, stops and shouts "SQUIRREL!!"

You're that dog. You get into a convo, then JUMP at the first thing that catches your attention. Its like...you POUNCE on every chance to rant about something.

Advice= Free.

Pull the stick from your arse, and be okay with laughing sometimes.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 08:28 AM
That's subjective appearence of Peace. Even 'peace' is defined subjectively..

Peace is an internal and external experience that is physically measurable. http://cs.oswego.edu/~jferris/psy290/1MeditBrainWaves.PDF

I deleted your flame material.

tailfins
05-23-2012, 09:01 AM

I know more than you give me credit for. Many things you cite have good ideas when "unbundled". Always stay alert for someone pushing an agenda or seeking grant funding.

darin
05-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Peace is an internal and external experience that is physically measurable. http://cs.oswego.edu/~jferris/psy290/1MeditBrainWaves.PDF

I deleted your flame material.

Peace is immeasurable without a brain-scanning machine, etc. I'm saying for practical purposes, folks generally have to believe somebody is at some measure of peace because people lie. All the time.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 09:18 AM
Peace is immeasurable without a brain-scanning machine, etc. I'm saying for practical purposes, folks generally have to believe somebody is at some measure of peace because people lie. All the time.

You can record BP, pulse, brain waves, skin temperature, etc. There is also bio-feedback technology. Peace of mind can be measured.

darin
05-23-2012, 09:27 AM
You can record BP, pulse, brain waves, skin temperature, etc. There is also bio-feedback technology. Peace of mind can be measured.

Clearly you aren't even reading replies.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 09:39 AM
Clearly you aren't even reading replies.

I read your reply. It was as clear as mud. That's not my problem, it's yours.

darin
05-23-2012, 09:51 AM
I read your reply. It was as clear as mud. That's not my problem, it's yours.

I'm sorry you have trouble with comprehension of what I write. Please allow me try to explain:</SPAN>

You talk about your focusing efforts, then praised a guy who is at peace or whatever because he thinks before he speaks and what-not. Anywho, I expressed interest about how exactly you'd find evidence somebody is what they claim - If I said "I'm at a peaceful state" you'd honestly, apart from using medical equipment, have to take their word for it. They could be cons. It's a sorta wishy-washy thing without measurable results; only anecdotal evidence.</SPAN>

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 09:53 AM
It is possible to measure states of meditation. They are not merely subjective states.

darin
05-23-2012, 09:58 AM
It is possible to measure states of meditation. They are not merely subjective states.

Okay, I'll repeat it again, but try to make it easier for you:

How do YOU measure 'peace' - or even states of meditation WITHOUT using scientific equipment. When YOU give your sessions and get people to find 'awareness' or whatever, is it possible they are shittin' you? Is it possible the guy you praised is also full of shit about what he does?

Here's what I see through History: People claim 'specialness' - sometimes they claim "God told me!" or "I have reached a higher plane of enlightenment!" or "When I smoke weed, I'm tuned-in to the spirits", or "Alah commanded us to fly those planes into the towers!".

Weak minded but well-meaning people often assign unworthy amounts of value upon those folks with NO evidence - or merely subjective hints of somebody's devine, or otherwise 'higher' or 'nobal' calling.

So I ask you - do you rely upon your subjective analysis to ensure your methods are effective (the client says "I feel better" and you take that as evidence of your success as a guide), or do you find ways to measure actual results of these sessions (measured benefits in health or productivity, etc)?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
States of mind are physically measurable.

logroller
05-23-2012, 10:00 AM
Prove it.

darin
05-23-2012, 10:01 AM
States of mind are physically measurable.

Pathetic.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:04 AM
Pathetic.

If I were to apply focusing to your one word response, I would say, "something in you, feels frustrated and angry, and you judge what bothers you as "pathetic".

darin
05-23-2012, 10:11 AM
If I were to apply focusing to your one word response, I would say, "something in you, feels frustrated and angry, and you judge what bothers you as "pathetic".

I judge your obtuseness as pathetic. When you can't answer something you proverbially cross your arms and stomp your feet repeating the same shit until folks get pissed. THEN you play the victim card.

Applying Focusing to your obstinance I say "most things in you; the things coming out of you in the form of replies on this board display complete lack of respect for intelligent discourse, and you judge folks objection to your idiotic and at times inflamitory replies as folks not liking you, as a person, or otherwise being "against you".

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 10:12 AM
I judge your obtuseness as pathetic. When you can't answer something you proverbially cross your arms and stomp your feet repeating the same shit until folks get pissed. THEN you play the victim card.

Applying Focusing to your obstinance I say "most things in you; the things coming out of you in the form of replies on this board display complete lack of respect for intelligent discourse, and you judge folks objection to your idiotic and at times inflamitory replies as folks not liking you, as a person, or otherwise being "against you".

She's not a victim, she's just not empowered! :lol::lol: :laugh2::laugh2:

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Consider what you want out of this discussion and adjust your post accordingly.

I'd like to discuss what focusing is and how to use it in daily life.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Consider what you want out of this discussion and adjust your post accordingly.

I'd like to discuss what focusing is and how to use it in daily life.

I'm completely focused at this moment and now see that you are a babbling idiot. :lol:

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:17 AM
I'm completely focused at this moment and now see that you are a babbling idiot. :lol:

Bye.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 10:18 AM
Bye.

Adios, idiot.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:22 AM
I have a Focusing class this afternoon. We are examining using Presence language, and looking at feelings and the feeling about the feeling, and judgments.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 10:23 AM
I have a Focusing class this afternoon. We are examining using Presence language, and looking at feelings and the feeling about the feeling, and judgments.

Who really gives a shit? Didn't you say "Bye" to this thread already?

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 10:26 AM

Good lord, it's even worse than I thought.

My advice, Wind: Spend that time taking a walk and really look at God's beautiful nature. Watch and listen to the birds. Or go to an animal shelter and spend some time petting a poor soul who lives in a cage through no fault of it's own. Consider adopting again.

Don't think so much about how you "feel". Just do.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:27 AM
Who really gives a shit? Didn't you say "Bye" to this thread already?

I said "bye" to you and your vitriol. Apparently, I have to say bye to you more than once.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
I said "bye" to you and your vitriol. Apparently, I have to say bye to you more than once.

Fuck off, victim. :lol::poke::beer:

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:29 AM
Good lord, it's even worse than I thought.

My advice, Wind: Spend that time taking a walk and really look at God's beautiful nature. Watch and listen to the birds. Or go to an animal shelter and spend some time petting a poor soul who lives in a cage through no fault of it's own. Consider adopting again.

Don't think so much about how you "feel". Just do.

No, dear. I can take a walk and look at nature, and watch and listen to birds or volunteer and still be in my body and in emotional presence.

Obviously, that isn't of value to you.

Why post on the topic when you haven't the slightest interest in it?

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 10:38 AM
No, dear. I can take a walk and look at nature, and watch and listen to birds or volunteer and still be in my body and in emotional presence.

Obviously, that isn't of value to you.

Why post on the topic when you haven't the slightest interest in it?

The topic is focusing on your feelings. Ad nauseum.
It interests me to tell you that in my opinion, this is the root of your problems. You appear to constantly be examining your feelings. You apparently pay people to tell you how to concentrate even more on your feelings. It's like paying someone to throw gallons of water on your flooded property.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:42 AM
The topic is focusing on your feelings. Ad nauseum.
It interests me to tell you that in my opinion, this is the root of your problems. You appear to constantly be examining your feelings. You apparently pay people to tell you how to concentrate even more on your feelings. It's like paying someone to throw gallons of water on your flooded property.

This thread is not about "my problems". It is about a process that I am training in called "Focusing". I'm a counselor. It's my "job" to be concerned about inner life.

Since you don't appear to be interested in the topic, why are you here. The thread isn't about me. It's about Focusing.

DragonStryk72
05-23-2012, 10:53 AM

Except that to do so, you are judging their emotional state, which is in direct contrivance to the teachings espoused by the site you linked to (I've been reading). You say that you operate as a guide, but that almost seems to be against it as well, since in guiding, you are showing them the "right" way to focus and observe their own emotions.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to poke fun or anything here, but this philosophy just doesn't seem like one that can work in the real world. How can you can possibly not judge your own emotions? If a person is having misplaced anger, then they've already judged that it's both misplaced, and a negative. If a person is happy, do they take time to detach themselves from it to observe it without judging? If a person is at peace emotionally, then that is a judged emotion as well.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Here is how Focusing works. All Focusing is self-focusing. A companion or guide offers presence to the Focuser who is self in presence. Instead of saying "I am angry", a statement where the person IS anger, is identified with anger, we train to change the words we use to be more accurate to present experience.

"I'm sensing something in me that feels angry" describes an awareness of the emotion, anger, but isn't identified as BEING anger. The training is toward "being with" or "being present with" anger. It's a way to create space around the feeling.

For some people, their emotions are very distant from them. They literally don't know what they're feeling because they"re not in their bodies, they are in their heads.

It's possible to know what you're feeling, and if you're judging the feeling. Then you have two parts, the part that feels angry and the part that judges, pushes away the anger, and you have awareness or presence of all of that. Then you are the Presence, not the emotion, or the judging of the emotion.

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Try prayer for your problems. It's less schizophrenic. :cool:

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Here is how Focusing works. All Focusing is self-focusing. A companion or guide offers presence to the Focuser who is self in presence. Instead of saying "I am angry", a statement where the person IS anger, is identified with anger, we train to change the words we use to be more accurate to present experience.

"I'm sensing something in me that feels angry" describes an awareness of the emotion, anger, but isn't identified as BEING anger. The training is toward "being with" or "being present with" anger. It's a way to create space around the feeling.

For some people, their emotions are very distant from them. They literally don't know what they're feeling because they"re not in their bodies, they are in their heads.

It's possible to know what you're feeling, and if you're judging the feeling. Then you have two parts, the part that feels angry and the part that judges, pushes away the anger, and you have awareness or presence of all of that. Then you are the Presence, not the emotion, or the judging of the emotion.

Is this a therapy technique that is intended to help people who are having trouble coping?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Try prayer for your problems. It's less schizophrenic. :cool:

Try to have an open mind and heart and judge less. Since you're giving me advice, I'm happy to give you advice too. Keep your religion to yourself. I'm not buying it.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Is this a therapy technique that is intended to help people who are having trouble coping?

No, it's not a therapy technique, although some therapists use it. It's for everyone.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 11:10 AM
No, it's not a therapy technique, although some therapists use it. It's for everyone.

Who developed it ?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Who developed it ?

Eugene Gendlin, a philosopher and psychologist. He discovered it. It's a natural process that some people know intuitively and others can learn.

Gendlin's Philosophy of the Implicit.

Gendlin is a contemporary of Carl Rogers.

logroller
05-23-2012, 11:14 AM
I think most people just learn the technique in kindergarten. Mastery of it, apparently, is harder some than others.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:16 AM
I think most people just learn the technique in kindergarten. Mastery of it, apparently, is harder some than others.

Really? Are you saying you've mastered it? Go inside right now. Check inside your throat, chest, abdomen and lower belly. Describe the feeling.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 11:29 AM

certainly looks like a therapy technique to me.

The first procedure, Focusing (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Focusing),[7] (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#cite_note-Focusing-6) emerged from Gendlin's collaboration with psychologist Carl Rogers (http://www.debatepolicy.com/wiki/Carl_Rogers). Gendlin developed a way of measuring the extent to which an individual refers to a felt sense; and he found in a series of studies that therapy clients who have positive outcomes do much more of this. He then developed a way to teach people to refer to their felt sense, so clients could do better in therapy. This training is called 'Focusing'. Further research showed that Focusing can be used outside of therapy to address a variety of issues. It is described in Gendlin's book, Focusing, which has sold over 400,000 copies and is printed in twelve languages.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Gendlin

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:32 AM
certainly looks like a therapy technique to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_Gendlin

If you read my post carefully you would see that it CAN be a therapy technique but it is NOT just a therapy technique. Anyone can train in it and use it.

logroller
05-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Really? Are you saying you've mastered it? Go inside right now. Check inside your throat, chest, abdomen and lower belly. Describe the feeling.

:puke3:

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
:puke3:

You can't. So much for your "mastery".

logroller
05-23-2012, 11:41 AM
If you read my post carefully you would see that it CAN be a therapy technique but it is NOT just a therapy technique. Anyone can train in it and use it.

OK, well an assault rifle CAN be used as weapon; but it's NOT just a weapon. Anyone can train and use it as a backscratcher. Hey WS, you think that use would grant me waiver from the CA assault weapons bans?

logroller
05-23-2012, 11:42 AM
You can't. So much for your "mastery".

I'm a master-debater. Shut you down at ever turn. :kisses:

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Why do people use it ?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm a master-debater. Shut you down at ever turn. :kisses:

Yet, when asked, you are completely unable to demonstrate Focusing, that you claim you mastered in kindergarten.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 11:53 AM
Why do people use it ?

To be self aware. To be present.

darin
05-23-2012, 11:56 AM
Try to have an open mind and heart and judge less. Since you're giving me advice, I'm happy to give you advice too. Keep your religion to yourself. I'm not buying it.

Do you see why folks here despise you sometimes? Your hypocrisy knows no end.

First you tell her to open her heart and mind, then you shit on her because your heart and mind are closed to her VERY good will she sends you.

You are self-obsessed. Abbey says "If you wanna feel better about yourself, try focusing on OTHERS for awhile. It works!" You reply with nothing more than a "F.U." comment.

To break it down to hopefully a 5th grade level:

Abbey was extending grace to you; comfort and support with her comments about walking, nature, and prayer. Because you are self-obsessed and a bit of an asshole to those who don't agree with you, you take her good will and shit squarely upon it.

Let's role play:

I'm you and I'm walking past a jew.

Jew: Happy Hanukkah my friend!
Me (as YOU): Don't shove YOUR religion down MY throat! Stop oppressing me - I'm offended! I'm not jewish! how DARE you offend somebody, you jerk
Jew: (Hurt feelings) Uh...sorry?
Me (as YOU): I'm going to SUE you! You're SO vile and nasty for forcing your beliefs on me! I don't believe people should force their beliefs on people, therefore I'm going to pass a LAW forcing my belief - the belief people shouldn't be able to force their believes on people - on the entire Country!

Now - here's ME playing as "A reasonable person"

Muslim: As salaamu 'alaykum!
Me: And peace to you, friend.

Then I get on with my life, feeling good about the warm-wishes sincerely placed upon me by a stranger.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 11:58 AM
To be self aware. To be present.

Is that a goal ?

logroller
05-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Yet, when asked, you are completely unable to demonstrate Focusing, that you claim you mastered in kindergarten.

Oh please; try focusing on answering my abundance of requests for you to prove your assertions with facts. You don't, because you can't; why should I continue responding to anything you ask? I can't count the number of times I've provided information to you only to met with disdain, disbelief and denial. :coffee: But fine-- I have a little heartburn; me thinks yesterday's reheated coffee didn't sit well this AM.

logroller
05-23-2012, 12:00 PM
Do you see why folks here despise you sometimes? Your hypocrisy knows no end.

First you tell her to open her heart and mind, then you shit on her because your heart and mind are closed to her VERY good will she sends you.

You are self-obsessed. Abbey says "If you wanna feel better about yourself, try focusing on OTHERS for awhile. It works!" You reply with nothing more than a "F.U." comment.

To break it down to hopefully a 5th grade level:

Abbey was extending grace to you; comfort and support with her comments about walking, nature, and prayer. Because you are self-obsessed and a bit of an asshole to those who don't agree with you, you take her good will and shit squarely upon it.

Let's role play:

I'm you and I'm walking past a jew.

Jew: Happy Hanukkah my friend!
Me (as YOU): Don't shove YOUR religion down MY throat! Stop oppressing me - I'm offended! I'm not jewish! how DARE you offend somebody, you jerk
Jew: (Hurt feelings) Uh...sorry?
Me (as YOU): I'm going to SUE you! You're SO vile and nasty for forcing your beliefs on me! I don't believe people should force their beliefs on people, therefore I'm going to pass a LAW forcing my belief - the belief people shouldn't be able to force their believes on people - on the entire Country!

Now - here's ME playing as "A reasonable person"

Muslim: As salaamu 'alaykum!
Me: And peace to you, friend.

Then I get on with my life, feeling good about the warm-wishes sincerely placed upon me by a stranger.

So you're calling WS antisemitic .:laugh2:

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:02 PM
Is that a goal ?

Yes, it is for many people.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:02 PM
A theist ordering a non-theist to pray is an act of aggression, not grace.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:03 PM
Yes, it is for many people.

Why?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:05 PM
Why?

To benefit self and others.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:06 PM
To benefit self and others.

Of what benefit is being "present" ?

darin
05-23-2012, 12:12 PM
A theist ordering a non-theist to pray is an act of aggression, not grace.

You misrepresenting what she suggested; using the word "ordering" speaks volumes to your nastiness. You're a demonstrated MEAN person. </SPAN>

Now - think about this...</SPAN>

You portend Abbey ORDERED you to do something. By deciding to interpret her comments that way you are subconsciously attributing to her authority over your behavior. VERY interesting. </SPAN>

I suppose it stems from your desire to have-had a closer relationship with an authority figure in your childhood - perhaps a father-type? What I get from you is this: You are desperately looking for boundaries. You crave authority because you feel out of control. explains in part your claim homosexual preferences; you want to push the envelope as much as you can as a cry for attention. You're a garden tree in desperate search for somebody to guide your growth. Thus, you reach out to the extremes in an effort to find somebody who cares for you enough to tell you to stop being a knucklehead.</SPAN>

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:13 PM
Of what benefit is being "present" ?

It means you show up for your life. If you can't see how that is of benefit, then by all means, check out your whole life. Go get stoned.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 12:14 PM
So you're calling WS antisemitic .:laugh2:

she doesn't confine her hatred to the Jewish religion my friend.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 12:15 PM
You misrepresenting what she suggested; using the word "ordering" speaks volumes to your nastiness. You're a demonstrated MEAN person. </SPAN>

Now - think about this...</SPAN>

You portend Abbey ORDERED you to do something. By deciding to interpret her comments that way you are subconsciously attributing to her authority over your behavior. VERY interesting. </SPAN>

I suppose it stems from your desire to have-had a closer relationship with an authority figure in your childhood - perhaps a father-type? What I get from you is this: You are desperately looking for boundaries. You crave authority because you feel out of control. explains in part your claim homosexual preferences; you want to push the envelope as much as you can as a cry for attention. You're a garden tree in desperate search for somebody to guide your growth. Thus, you reach out to the extremes in an effort to find somebody who cares for you enough to tell you to stop being a knucklehead.</SPAN>

THEN when she does find that person, she tells them to fuck off and immediately sets to alienate them as much as possible.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 12:16 PM
You misrepresenting what she suggested; using the word "ordering" speaks volumes to your nastiness. You're a demonstrated MEAN person.

Now - think about this...

You portend Abbey ORDERED you to do something. By deciding to interpret her comments that way you are subconsciously attributing to her authority over your behavior. VERY interesting.

I suppose it stems from your desire to have-had a closer relationship with an authority figure in your childhood - perhaps a father-type? What I get from you is this: You are desperately looking for boundaries. You crave authority because you feel out of control. explains in part your claim homosexual preferences; you want to push the envelope as much as you can as a cry for attention. You're a garden tree in desperate search for somebody to guide your growth. Thus, you reach out to the extremes in an effort to find somebody who cares for you enough to tell you to stop being a knucklehead.

Not sure why you bother with lengthy and well thought out posts. You'll notice she ignored your last attempt. When she can't answer or if it's too difficult, or against her agenda, she'll ignore.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:20 PM
I am answering all posts on the topic of focusing and I am ignoring all posts that are off topic.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 12:21 PM
I am answering all posts on the topic of focusing and I am ignoring all posts that are off topic.

Darin's posts were hardly off topic.

But in case you'll claim this one is, and to remain on topic - how about you focus on my nutsack?

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:25 PM
It means you show up for your life. If you can't see how that is of benefit, then by all means, check out your whole life. Go get stoned.

and we were doing so well there for a bit.

darin
05-23-2012, 12:26 PM

You Poor broken man.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:27 PM
Darin's posts were hardly off topic.

?

Darin's posts were not on the general topic of Focusing. They were amateur psychoanalysis of a poster. That's not debate or even close to the topic of Focusing.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
and we were doing so well there for a bit.

No, we weren't.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Darin's posts were not on the general topic of Focusing. They were amateur psychoanalysis of a poster. That's not debate or even close to the topic of Focusing.

How do you know it was an amateur attempt? Maybe Darin's religion defines amateur differently than the rest of us, that's okay isn't it?

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:31 PM
No, we weren't.

damn

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 12:32 PM
I still think Jesus would kick the crap out of that fat little Buddha bastard. And he's obviously much smarter, as are his followers.

ooops, was that off topic? Tough shit.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Thank you for collectively demonstrating how welcome outsiders are to post threads on this forum.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I still think Jesus would kick the crap out of that fat little Buddha bastard. And he's obviously much smarter, as are his followers.

ooops, was that off topic? Tough shit.

would he? let's find out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZPrcb9im54

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:37 PM

"go get stoned" ? Surely that was a statement made out of anger and not an honest suggestion.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Thank you for collectively demonstrating how welcome outsiders are to post threads on this forum.

Don't mistake people treating you like an ass to mean we treat everyone that way. We simply treat people the way they treat us. You WANT to make us the bad guys and we treat anyone who comes here a certain way, but it's simply not true.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Don't mistake people treating you like an ass to mean we treat everyone that way. We simply treat people the way they treat us. You WANT to make us the bad guys and we treat anyone who comes here a certain way, but it's simply not true.

Go back and read all the posts on this thread and then tell me that anyone outside your little circle is free to initiate a thread on a topic of our choosing?

darin
05-23-2012, 12:42 PM

They were on the topic of: How do you measure effectiveness of your methods/faith/whatever? You never answered. I pressed you, you went off-topic. I analyzed - VERY ACCURATELY I suspect - your avoidance from the questions I was asking.

I'm not 'some amatuer' - I'm really very good. My empath-skills are stunning. I'm downright insightful.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:45 PM

You're no outsider----

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:48 PM
You're no outsider----

Yes, I am. I'm not accepted as a member of this community.

darin
05-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I used my mind to get those two to give me 'thanks' for that post.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dmp For This Useful Post: FJ1200/jimnyc

When I finish my version of Cerebro, i'll be unstoppable.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 12:51 PM

Because you're a "victim".

You're not accepted, at times, because you post like a horses ass. It's not us, it's not the topics - its HOW you post. But you continually try and blame the entire board for YOUR faults.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:51 PM

what will it take for you to feel as if you are an accepted member ?

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Because you're a "victim".

You're not accepted, at times, because you post like a horses ass. It's not us, it's not the topics - its HOW you post. But you continually try and blame the entire board for YOUR faults.

I'm not a victim. I take complete responsibility for the fact that I remain an outsider here. What really seems to inflame all of you, is when I dare to intitiate a thread on ANY topic.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:54 PM
what will it take for you to feel as if you are an accepted member ?

Good question.

Dilloduck
05-23-2012, 12:55 PM
I'm not a victim. I take complete responsibility for the fact that I remain an outsider here. What really seems to inflame all of you, is when I dare to intitiate a thread on ANY topic.

Do NOT attend any more FOCUS sessions. You're losing it.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM

Only people who speak out their asses are treated in such a manner. If what you were saying were true, then it would apply to ALL who come here. And it doesn't. Just people who post like dumb fucks.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Do NOT attend any more FOCUS sessions. You're losing it.

I'm certainly not "losing it".

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 12:57 PM
Only people who speak out their asses are treated in such a manner. If what you were saying were true, then it would apply to ALL who come here. And it doesn't. Just people who post like dumb fucks.

I have a unique style of posting, which the established clique here doesn't like.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 01:00 PM
I have a unique style of posting, which the established clique here doesn't like.

Whatever, I'm done with you and your endless accusations. How about you take responsibility for your fucked up posting instead of always blaming others.

DS72 was REALLY onto something when he encouraged others to ignore you.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 01:01 PM
Whatever, I'm done with you and your endless accusations. How about you take responsibility for your fucked up posting instead of always blaming others.

DS72 was REALLY onto something when he encouraged others to ignore you.

Then why don't you ALL ignore me and I will continue to write about topics that interest me. If no one posts a response? No problem. I'm already more or less doing that on the poem and music threads I've started.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 01:48 PM
POOR WINDSONG...................

For real Dorothy. (sorry Sassy) when I came here, some of the members knew me from that other shithole, so I had somewhat of a reputation when I got here, and what do you know the established members watched me for themselves and based the way they treated me off of how I treated them... Do I get along with everyone? Absolutely not, as you obviously know; but I am an "accepted" member of the group. I post what I want, where I want, when I want, and it's accepted, even if I occasionally step on a few toes, because that's not all I do.

You on the other hand, have purposely been looking for toes to stomp on with every single post you've made since you joined here. It gets fucking old. I'm sick of it, Jim's sick of it, Abbey's sick of it, Darin's sick of it, LR is sick of it, even another alleged liberal Gabby (mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Gabby) is sick of it.

YOU are responsible for your behavior, not the rest of us, conform or get lost, seriously, having you here is no longer worth the hassle.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 01:55 PM
POOR WINDSONG...................

For real Dorothy. (sorry Sassy) when I came here, some of the members knew me from that other shithole, so I had somewhat of a reputation when I got here, and what do you know the established members watched me for themselves and based the way they treated me off of how I treated them... Do I get along with everyone? Absolutely not, as you obviously know; but I am an "accepted" member of the group. I post what I want, where I want, when I want, and it's accepted, even if I occasionally step on a few toes, because that's not all I do.

You on the other hand, have purposely been looking for toes to stomp on with every single post you've made since you joined here. It gets fucking old. I'm sick of it, Jim's sick of it, Abbey's sick of it, Darin's sick of it, LR is sick of it, even another alleged liberal Gabby (mmmmmmmmmmmmmm Gabby) is sick of it.

YOU are responsible for your behavior, not the rest of us, conform or get lost, seriously, having you here is no longer worth the hassle.

I will continue to post here as long as I choose. I do so, because I like the people here, NOT because I want to be ONE of you. I'm different in lots of ways, and that's not going to change.

So, you speak for all those people? Abbey, dmp, LR, Gabby,? So now I don't need to talk to any of them, I should just talk to you, my mentor. The same guy who's been lying to me for months.

If you don't want to read my posts then put me on ignore. ALL OF YOU.

As Groucho would say, "I wouldn't want to be part of any group who would have me for a member."

Enjoy the clique.

tailfins
05-23-2012, 02:16 PM
I will continue to post here as long as I choose. I do so, because I like the people here, NOT because I want to be ONE of you. I'm different in lots of ways, and that's not going to change.

So, you speak for all those people? Abbey, dmp, LR, Gabby,? So now I don't need to talk to any of them, I should just talk to you, my mentor. The same guy who's been lying to me for months.

If you don't want to read my posts then put me on ignore. ALL OF YOU.

As Groucho would say, "I wouldn't want to be part of any group who would have me for a member."

Enjoy the clique.

You don't bother me. However, you do the equivalent of walking around with a big sign that says "Kick me". Sometimes it's impossible to resist the temptation and do what the sign says.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 02:26 PM
You don't bother me.

Yeah, I hear you.

MtnBiker
05-23-2012, 02:33 PM
I just focused on closing this thread.

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 02:54 PM

Which religion did I push on you?