PDA

View Full Version : Close a Thread while you're asking a question

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 03:01 PM
Kind of stupid I think.

But I get it. Any thread I start has to be shut down.

Don't ever give a reason for an action. I don't understand why that thread needed to be shut down. I would ask a moderator but none of them want me to write to them.

tailfins
05-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Kind of stupid I think.

I'm on the same page with you this time. I missed out on a wonderful smartazz reply.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm on the same page with you this time. I missed out on a wonderful smartazz reply.

Right. Typical heavy handed get the last word in trip. Abbey puts a question in to me and then closes the thread for no reason. I take it I have offended her majesty.

Mr. P
05-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Kind of stupid I think.

Since you acknowledge the fact, I hope the Admin will find a way to accommodate your wishes.

Wind Song
05-23-2012, 03:07 PM
What I wish those weenies would do is ban me. They don't like anything I write and have in no uncertain terms told me over and over my writing style doesn't suit them.

So ban me then.

PERMANENTLY.

MtnBiker
05-23-2012, 03:08 PM
Kind of stupid I think.

Don't ever give a reason for an action. I don't understand why that thread needed to be shut down. I would ask a moderator but none of them want me to write to them.

I closed the thread not Abbey. It was closed because your redundant introspective bullshit is boring. And we didn't need 12 more pages of it.

tailfins
05-23-2012, 03:10 PM
I closed the thread not Abbey. It was closed because your redundant introspective bullshit is boring. And we didn't need 12 more pages of it.

It's kind of weird that Abbey got to post to a closed thread. Not that *I* want to be an admin. I'm too lazy.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 03:14 PM
It's kind of weird that Abbey got to post to a closed thread. Not that *I* want to be an admin. I'm too lazy.

To be fair, if this is like boards I've modded, threads don't show closed for mods/admins. They don't have to reopen them to post.

MtnBiker

Moderators and Admins can post in closed threads. It is likely Abbey did not notice I had closed the thread.

MtnBiker
What I wish those weenies would do is ban me. They don't like anything I write and have in no uncertain terms told me over and over my writing style doesn't suit them.

So ban me then.

PERMANENTLY.

Request granted!

tailfins
05-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Request granted!

The court jester has been banished. Can you change her userID? That would have been more fun than banning.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Request granted!

Oh great, now you let her leave as the ultimate victim. :rofl:

Mr. P
05-23-2012, 03:24 PM

Yeah, that's how I see it too. At least in her mind. But who cares?

logroller
05-23-2012, 03:29 PM

Disempowered.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 03:32 PM
To be fair, if this is like boards I've modded, threads don't show closed for mods/admins. They don't have to reopen them to post.

That is exactly what happened. The thread was closed when Abbey wasn't even online. She came back, read it, and hit the "reply with quote" button. As an admin, she would receive no error that the thread is closed.

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 03:33 PM
Moderators and Admins can post in closed threads. It is likely Abbey did not notice I had closed the thread.

Thanks. I still don't know which thread you closed. :cool:

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 03:34 PM
Right. Typical heavy handed get the last word in trip. Abbey puts a question in to me and then closes the thread for no reason. I take it I have offended her majesty.

As I did not close the thread, you are a liar.

Sincerely,
Her Majesty, Abbey of DP

tailfins
05-23-2012, 03:35 PM

Your humility is disappointing. That would have been a darn funny trick.

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Your humility is disappointing. That would have been a darn funny trick.

sorry.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 03:43 PM

So ban me then.

PERMANENTLY.

I'm sorry that it has come to this. But when an adult starts making demands of being banned, as opposed to acting like an adult, there are issues. You're not banned because your writing style doesn't suit someone, you were banned because you have issues controlling yourself and made demands to be banned.

At the very bottom of the board, all the way to the right, there is a link that states "contact us". Should you want to be reinstated, simply send me a message there and I can oblige. But your erratic behavior needs to held in check, as with your repeatedly starting new threads of garbage as well as your constant desire for attention/victimhood.

Mr. P
05-23-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm sorry that it has come to this. But when an adult starts making demands of being banned, as opposed to acting like an adult, there are issues. You're not banned because your writing style doesn't suit someone, you were banned because you have issues controlling yourself and made demands to be banned.

At the very bottom of the board, all the way to the right, there is a link that states "contact us". Should you want to be reinstated, simply send me a message there and I can oblige. But your erratic behavior needs to held in check, as with your repeatedly starting new threads of garbage as well as your constant desire for attention/victimhood.

Yer joking, right? You would reverse a trusted Admins actions? Why have admin then? Hell, Jim, just bring back ALL the MORON TROLLS!

That's my vent, not a challenge to your ownership. Think about it..Just sayin

tailfins
05-23-2012, 04:13 PM
....you were banned because you have issues controlling yourself ...

Let's help her control herself:

http://www.northshorecare.com/images/depend-fitted-sm-200x191.jpg

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 04:26 PM
Yer joking, right? You would reverse a trusted Admins actions? Why have admin then? Hell, Jim, just bring back ALL the MORON TROLLS!

That's my vent, not a challenge to your ownership. Think about it..Just sayin

I hate owning this board, I truly do. I have more trust in the staff than everyone knows. Any one of them has the power to kill this place if they really wanted to, but I give them the keys to the place. I've known Darin, MtnBiker, Abbey and Avatar for YEARS. I don't second guess them because they make incorrect decisions. Consider me an arbitrator. Someone has to determine what rules were broken, why, history of broken rules and other factors. Then look at the entire picture from an impartial view. With that said, I don't see that she really broke the rules. And I also don't see her as a "troll", at least not in the traditional sense. And if we ban based outside of the rules, how do we make such a determination and who do we repeat the process for in the future? I know barely anyone will see it, but I'm trying to do what is right by the board. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not a big fan of WS, and I don't think I make her top 10 list. She gets going sometimes and doesn't want to listen to reason, and things degrade from there. But if that's a reason to "perm" ban her, then I should receive the same treatment, as I egged her on and gave it back to her as good as I received it.

There are times that staff make the right calls, but that doesn't make my reversals wrong. Sometimes things need to be halted immediately, hence "moderation", but that should never prevent me from taking an action in either direction once I have time to look at everything.

My intent was/is to change her ban from permanent to 24hrs, based on the fact that she again wants to question staff decisions.

If I lift the ban, I am wrong in the eyes of many. If I leave it, many will claim bias and heavy handed mod. Some will say she deserved it, others will say show me which rule she broke. I'd rather the discussion remain "general in nature" - and not about this specific situation, if that's possible. But if you were me, how do you handle situations when you have to look at the board, the community, the members individually, rules I set forth & our motto of freedom of speech. Anyone is free to discuss this, but please, let's keep it "in general" how to handle certain situations.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 04:32 PM
I hate not being able to please everyone. To not be able to get more and more liberals posting here. To not have the money to have good contests and perform better advertising. I hate when people get mad when I take actions. I hate when people get mad at my non-actions. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, almost daily. And I'm sure I compound the issues with my own contributions. Either way, it sucks being at the receiving end of nearly every complaint and every negative perception. One way to avoid it, is to remain consistent in your actions and let the marbles fall where they may. Sometimes that puts me in a place where I make unpopular decisions. And quite frankly, I'm not even sure anymore if they are right or if I'm just deluding myself.

tailfins
05-23-2012, 04:44 PM
I hate not being able to please everyone. To not be able to get more and more liberals posting here. To not have the money to have good contests and perform better advertising. I hate when people get mad when I take actions. I hate when people get mad at my non-actions. It's a damned if you do and damned if you don't situation, almost daily. And I'm sure I compound the issues with my own contributions. Either way, it sucks being at the receiving end of nearly every complaint and every negative perception. One way to avoid it, is to remain consistent in your actions and let the marbles fall where they may. Sometimes that puts me in a place where I make unpopular decisions. And quite frankly, I'm not even sure anymore if they are right or if I'm just deluding myself.

I think many here agree that she's a hoot to mess with. I think MtnBiker would unban her himself. If you take her into perspective as the court jester things look different. Why should we care if she wants to show up here and walk around with a "kick me" sign?

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM

Your willingness to listen to everyone makes you an unusual (and likable and human) board owner. You know we love you, Jim!

MtnBiker
05-23-2012, 05:03 PM

Well, in the 9 years that I have been a member of your boards I have always enjoyed them. Good people, good conversations. I know it is not always easy but you do a great job. Sometimes there are distractions and this too will pass.

jimnyc
05-23-2012, 05:14 PM
I make decisions sometimes that I THINK are in the best interest of the board and it's future. If I'm wrong, so be it, and things can be made right. And I'll be the first person to stand up and eat crow and admit my wrongdoing and apologize to the masses.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 05:34 PM

Sincerely,
Her Majesty, Abbey of DP
^^^^^ Did Abbey just admit to being the queen of double penetration? :2up:

Abbey Marie
05-23-2012, 05:36 PM
^^^^^ Did Abbey just admit to being the queen of double penetration? :2up:

Is that where you think you're posting? :poke:

ConHog
05-23-2012, 05:38 PM
I hate owning this board, I truly do. I have more trust in the staff than everyone knows. Any one of them has the power to kill this place if they really wanted to, but I give them the keys to the place. I've known Darin, MtnBiker, Abbey and Avatar for YEARS. I don't second guess them because they make incorrect decisions. Consider me an arbitrator. Someone has to determine what rules were broken, why, history of broken rules and other factors. Then look at the entire picture from an impartial view. With that said, I don't see that she really broke the rules. And I also don't see her as a "troll", at least not in the traditional sense. And if we ban based outside of the rules, how do we make such a determination and who do we repeat the process for in the future? I know barely anyone will see it, but I'm trying to do what is right by the board. In case you haven't noticed, I'm not a big fan of WS, and I don't think I make her top 10 list. She gets going sometimes and doesn't want to listen to reason, and things degrade from there. But if that's a reason to "perm" ban her, then I should receive the same treatment, as I egged her on and gave it back to her as good as I received it.

There are times that staff make the right calls, but that doesn't make my reversals wrong. Sometimes things need to be halted immediately, hence "moderation", but that should never prevent me from taking an action in either direction once I have time to look at everything.

My intent was/is to change her ban from permanent to 24hrs, based on the fact that she again wants to question staff decisions.

If I lift the ban, I am wrong in the eyes of many. If I leave it, many will claim bias and heavy handed mod. Some will say she deserved it, others will say show me which rule she broke. I'd rather the discussion remain "general in nature" - and not about this specific situation, if that's possible. But if you were me, how do you handle situations when you have to look at the board, the community, the members individually, rules I set forth & our motto of freedom of speech. Anyone is free to discuss this, but please, let's keep it "in general" how to handle certain situations.

I don't think you'd be wrong for ne simple reason Jim. Consistency. You have , since I've been here anyway, consistently shown that the only thing you really give PERMANENT bans for is when people start making serious threats. Why should WS be any different? Yes, she's dumb, but that really shouldn't change the way you run your board, and I'm glad to see that's true.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 05:42 PM
Is that where you think you're posting? :poke:

Don't be hatin on my fantasy. Oh did I mention that Gabby is also involved?:dance:

DragonStryk72
05-23-2012, 06:19 PM
It wouldn't even be so bad if she would actually respond to the people who are trying to have a serious discussion with her, but it's like she just wants to post stuff and have everyone post "Okay", cause whether you agree with her or not, she's never wants to actually debate anything. I mean, seriously, how do you get on a debate site without the expectation of debate?

This would be different if this were a philosophy, or self-healing forum, in which yeah, go ahead and post that stuff, but on a debate site, you have to expect that you're going to get people who disagree with you, and she just had no middle ground. You either 100% agreed with her, or you were her hated enemy, and even if you had backed her up on things, if you then disagreed with her, it was no better for you.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 06:53 PM
It wouldn't even be so bad if she would actually respond to the people who are trying to have a serious discussion with her, but it's like she just wants to post stuff and have everyone post "Okay", cause whether you agree with her or not, she's never wants to actually debate anything. I mean, seriously, how do you get on a debate site without the expectation of debate?

This would be different if this were a philosophy, or self-healing forum, in which yeah, go ahead and post that stuff, but on a debate site, you have to expect that you're going to get people who disagree with you, and she just had no middle ground. You either 100% agreed with her, or you were her hated enemy, and even if you had backed her up on things, if you then disagreed with her, it was no better for you.

Mental disease is no joke bro.

For real you're right, she is the last person who needs to be on a debate board, Totally incapable of applying any critical thinking or debate technique.

Toro
05-23-2012, 08:38 PM
EDIT - Ok, pic removed.

I like Wind Song. She's hilarious. I think the ban should be lifted.

DragonStryk72
05-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Mental disease is no joke bro.

For real you're right, she is the last person who needs to be on a debate board, Totally incapable of applying any critical thinking or debate technique.

We've had posters who are rough around the edges, and that's fine, I'm not expecting a full-on debate every single time, but she went right off the edge with it.

ConHog
05-23-2012, 10:00 PM
We've had posters who are rough around the edges, and that's fine, I'm not expecting a full-on debate every single time, but she went right off the edge with it.

Her biggest thing is she just cant accept that other opinions that disagree with hers are valid and those that hold those opinions dont hate her

DragonStryk72
05-23-2012, 11:05 PM
Her biggest thing is she just cant accept that other opinions that disagree with hers are valid and those that hold those opinions dont hate her

Which, of course, leads her into the problem of causing the exact problem she's railing against, as people get sick of being attacked. It's the self-fulfilling prophecy

logroller
05-23-2012, 11:20 PM
EDIT - Ok, pic removed.

I like Wind Song. She's hilarious. I think the ban should be lifted.
I thought she was entertaining; but she asked for it...literally. She asked to be banned. Her request was granted. If she wanted to be banned, then why lift it?

SassyLady
05-24-2012, 12:22 AM

Jim, I have been posting here for years. The only reason, and I mean ONLY reason, is because of how you moderate this board, and those you've chosen to help you do that. You allow a lot of crap, but you also know when to shut it down so that the overall feel of the community remains intact. To me it's like a family. There are some family members who always act up and cause everyone to bow their head in shame, but we still love them. Then there are family members who become serial abusers and need to be shunned by the family in order for the rest of the family to flourish and survive.

You are where the buck stops! YOU, and ONLY you, should have the ultimate decision about who posts here and who doesn't on a permanent basis. However, I believe that you are always open to listening to the input of the rest of the family and will make the best decision based upon the input you receive.

Some family members need a time out and some need to be exiled.

I truly empathize with the responsibility that comes with owning this board. Sometimes doing the right thing requires stepping outside the rules/norms.

SassyLady
05-24-2012, 12:26 AM

It seems that she doesn't know the difference between a debate message board and a blog. She needs her own blog, or she needs to learn that debate means there are two opposing viewpoints, and that just because someone opposes her viewpoint does not mean they "hate" her or want her to quit posting.

SassyLady
05-24-2012, 12:32 AM
I thought she was entertaining; but she asked for it...literally. She asked to be banned. Her request was granted. If she wanted to be banned, then why lift it?

Because it's like a little kid that always acting out, hoping to get you to lose it. The kid wins. Why give them what they want? It's rewarding bad behavior.

Wind Song
05-24-2012, 05:08 PM
It seems that she doesn't know the difference between a debate message board and a blog. She needs her own blog, or she needs to learn that debate means there are two opposing viewpoints, and that just because someone opposes her viewpoint does not mean they "hate" her or want her to quit posting.

You're right. I need my own blog. I'm not a skilled debater. I like political forums because I like to exchange ideas with people I'm very different from.

Mr. P
05-24-2012, 05:58 PM
Jim, I have been posting here for years. The only reason, and I mean ONLY reason, is because of how you moderate this board, and those you've chosen to help you do that. You allow a lot of crap, but you also know when to shut it down so that the overall feel of the community remains intact. To me it's like a family. There are some family members who always act up and cause everyone to bow their head in shame, but we still love them. Then there are family members who become serial abusers and need to be shunned by the family in order for the rest of the family to flourish and survive.

You are where the buck stops! YOU, and ONLY you, should have the ultimate decision about who posts here and who doesn't on a permanent basis. However, I believe that you are always open to listening to the input of the rest of the family and will make the best decision based upon the input you receive.

Some family members need a time out and some need to be exiled.

I truly empathize with the responsibility that comes with owning this board. Sometimes doing the right thing requires stepping outside the rules/norms.

I guess this means you don't love me. OK, I know when I'm not welcome. LOL

Wind Song
05-24-2012, 06:03 PM
I guess this means you don't love me. OK, I know when I'm not welcome. LOL

You lose. Jim reinstated me.

DragonStryk72
05-24-2012, 06:06 PM
You're right. I need my own blog. I'm not a skilled debater. I like political forums because I like to exchange ideas with people I'm very different from.

Then try doing that. So far, anyone with an opinion other than yours gets either verbally assaulted, or ignored entirely.

Mr. P
05-24-2012, 06:11 PM
You lose. Jim reinstated me.

I wasn't talking to you, NUTTER. READ, COMPREHEND..Before ya flap yer lips and look like an ASS.

Wind Song
05-24-2012, 06:25 PM
I wasn't talking to you, NUTTER. READ, COMPREHEND..Before ya flap yer lips and look like an ASS.

Let me know when you're willing to consider me as another human being who happens to post here.

Wind Song
05-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Then try doing that. So far, anyone with an opinion other than yours gets either verbally assaulted, or ignored entirely.

I would say that's exactly how I feel too.

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Let me know when you're willing to consider me as another human being who happens to post here.

Wind, please, chill.

Sassy made a post directed at me, then Mr. P addressed her post, which was even quoted, and then you read his post and took it personally - but it wasn't directed at you.

You need to stop thinking every little jab, even humorous ones, are directed at you. And EVEN IF it was directed at you - just ignore it and move on. It will save you plenty of headaches.

Wind Song
05-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Wind, please, chill.

Sassy made a post directed at me, then Mr. P addressed her post, which was even quoted, and then you read his post and took it personally - but it wasn't directed at you.

You need to stop thinking every little jab, even humorous ones, are directed at you. And EVEN IF it was directed at you - just ignore it and move on. It will save you plenty of headaches.

Ok.