PDA

View Full Version : Camping recipes

logroller
05-24-2012, 12:07 AM
The family an I are going camping this weekend with two other families. We're splitting the meal duties, assigning each family a breakfast and dinner. We have breakfast on Saturday and dinner on Sunday.
So for breakfast were doing omeletes in a bag. It's super easy, especially on cleanup. You just put two eggs Into a ziplock bag, squeeze the air out and close. Then squeeze or shake to whip egg, reipen put whatever add-ins (cheese, mushrooms, tomatoes, onions, pepper, etc) into a bag, squeeze out air and reseal. Then place the bag into a pot of boiling water. It's a good idea to write the person's name bag. you can put as many bags as there are quarts of water; roughly half the pot's capacity, if that makes sense. Cook for 13 minutes and serve; omelettes should just roll out of the bag.

Still don't know what to do to dinner. The other families are doing tritip and bans on Friday, and hamburgers and hotdogs Saturday. So those two standbys are taken. Any ideas?

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:09 PM
E-Z Camping Spaghetti

Put your favorite spaghetti sauce in a
zip-seal baggy. (Hint: just before you finish sealing the baggy, suck out any
air). Finish sealing the baggy.

Put this in a 2nd zip-lock baggy and
suck out the air.

Throw this in the freezer for a couple
of days so you have a large block of spaghetti sauce flavored ice. It will last
for days in a cooler, and actually keeps the cooler cold.

While camping, put the baggy in a big
pot of cold water.

Bring to a boil.

Remove sauce, and you now have a pot of
clean boiling water for the pasta.

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:15 PM
Campfire foil packs

1 pound skinless, boneless chickenbreast (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#) meat - cubed2 onions, diced
1 (8 ounce) package sliced fresh mushrooms
1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced into strips
4 cloves garlic (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#), sliced
4 small potatoes, cubed
1/4 cup olive oil (http://www.debatepolicy.com/#)
1 lemon, juiced

In a large bowl, or a large zip-top bag, combine the chicken, onion, mushrooms, yellow pepper, red pepper, garlic, and potatoes. Pour in the olive oil and lemon juice, then mix well.

Evenly divide the mixture between 4 large sheets of aluminum foil. Top each with another sheet of foil, and roll up the edges tightly. Wrap each packet again, securely in another sheet of foil to double wrap.

Cook in the hot coals of a campfire until the chicken is opaque and the potatoes are tender, around 40 minutes.

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:17 PM
Campers Pita Bread Pizza

1 Package (6) Pita rounds.1 14 oz. jar prepared pizza sauce.
1 8 oz. package shredded mozzarella cheese.
Any other toppings you like.

Place pita bread on hot grill and toast to desired doneness. Turn over, add pizza sauce, cheese and any other toppings you desire. Grill till cheese melts.

Mr. P
05-24-2012, 08:24 PM
What in Scouts we called the "Hobo" meal.

Placed in foil and wrapped:

Hamburger in somewhat of a Pattie or whatever.

Carrots cut 2 inches or so..

Potatoes cubed.

Season if you wish.

Wrap it all tight in foil and place on hot camp fire coals (not on flames) about an hr.

Simple but It's soooooo good!

Thunderknuckles
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Get a travel trailer and camp at a place with full hookups. Problem solved :p

Taking the family out for a 4 day trip myself. Tonight will be hotdogs but tomorrow we are deep frying a 20lb turkey with all the fixin's thanks to a few friends.

Mr. P
05-24-2012, 08:32 PM

Taking the family out for a 4 day trip myself. Tonight will be hotdogs but tomorrow we are deep frying a 20lb turkey with all the fixin's thanks to a few friends.

Man, That ain't "Camping". :laugh:

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:32 PM
BBQ Stew Packet

4 medium potatoes, diced
1 large onion, slivered
8 sliced carrots
1 pound stew meat
1 can cream of mushroom soup
Salt and pepper

Mix all together in a large bowl, portion out into 4 servings
and wrap in foil packets.

Grill over medium heat until done, 25-30
minutes, turning halfway through cooking time

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:36 PM

Or just rent cabins at Elk Creek Lodge (summer) or Wolfe Creek Lodge (winter). Complete with showers :thumb:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 08:38 PM
Not fully sure what they're called, nor do I fully know how to make them, nor do I fully know what ingredients are needed, BUT...

It was some sort of contraption that you opened like a waffle iron, but it was much smaller, and REAL long handles. You fill it with some sort of bread and fruit, can't remember. Then close it up and hold it over the fire for a few minutes. It's some sort of crepe like thing or turnovers, but it's a great treat! They usually sell them at the general stores at campgrounds or other facilities.

Hope that made ANY sense! :lol:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 08:42 PM
Even more hobo...

When I went with friends, and the food lessened as did our money - you'd be surprised how good hot dogs tasted when you just jab a stick in them and hold them over the fire, then place in bun when done. Plus the kids think it's a trip to make their own over the fire. Do similar with a large can of beans, either heat the entire can, or in a pot of sorts.

And marshmallows! Maybe even S'mores!

If you don't like one of them, cut a long branch into a spear, stab a squirrel, and make them a special meal!

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Not fully sure what they're called, nor do I fully know how to make them, nor do I fully know what ingredients are needed, BUT...

It was some sort of contraption that you opened like a waffle iron, but it was much smaller, and REAL long handles. You fill it with some sort of bread and fruit, can't remember. Then close it up and hold it over the fire for a few minutes. It's some sort of crepe like thing or turnovers, but it's a great treat! They usually sell them at the general stores at campgrounds or other facilities.

Hope that made ANY sense! :lol:

I think you are talking about a Pie Iron...recipes also at link..

http://www.pieiron.com/recipes.htm

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 08:48 PM
I think you are talking about a Pie Iron...recipes also at link..

http://www.pieiron.com/recipes.htm

That's it!!! And it looks to be a lot of good ideas to make on that page, for a fairly cheap device.

logroller
05-24-2012, 10:32 PM
I don't know Jim, Ive seen pictures of the "squirrels" where you're from; they look a lot like giant rats. As for your recipes-- are those your own, or did you forget to add a link to recipes by boomhower? :lol:

Liking the spaghetti in a bag idea. So simple, even a drunk could do it... Which is a consideration.