PDA

View Full Version : I'm going to be toothless

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 09:31 AM
So I had the tooth on the upper, back right (just in front of Molar, 2nd to last) last month. As a result, I started chewing on the other side to avoid where it was pulled. A few days ago, my tongue noticed a little movement with the molar on the bottom left side. Confirmed with my fat finger that it "seems" to be a bit loose. Then the pain started 2 days ago. If I bite in slow motion, this tooth is the first to make contact with the one above it, so it always takes a direct hit. Sometimes it feels a little better, but last night it had me up all night with an intense throbbing. I believe I first had a cavity filled in this tooth when I was a teenager, and now it's on life support. Honestly, it's just a little square black former shell of itself. The top part, where you would bite, is all black from the cavity filling. I notice the 4 sides on the outside of the tooth are pretty much dying too. I'd rather not have another tooth pulled but I have a sneaky suspicion that I may have no choice. But first and foremost is the pain. Must use crappy Tylenol until my appt with the masochist at 2:30pm tomorrow.

revelarts
05-24-2012, 10:01 AM
sorry to hear that Jim. that's pretty terrible.

Anton Chigurh
05-24-2012, 10:13 AM
BC powder directly on the tooth takes away the inflammation that is pushing the tooth up. Let it permeate the tooth and surrounding tissue, then use a little water to slosh it around and rinse it down. Repeat as needed.

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
sorry to hear that Jim. that's pretty terrible.

Younger years catching up with me I suppose. I've taken care of my teeth for the most part in the past 10-15 years, but I suppose all the smoking, drinking (alcohol), soda, candy, sugary crap and all the other stuff that passed my teeth couldn't have helped much. So brushing 2-3x per day and flossing has little effect once the damage is done. The only bright spot is that the bogus teeth are in the back and out of sight. But if I wanted it "all" done tomorrow, I have this molar to take care of, then probably 2 posts/bridges/fake teeth or whatever they do to fill the gap, 2 cosmetic caps and a few cavities. I am VERY scared about the dentist and this is what happens when you avoid them like the plague!

Other than one tooth towards the front that has a tiny chip in it, you would think I have fairly decent teeth. I think I'm going to finally spend the time going to the dentist multiple times and get everything taken care of. I wish I could sit down, get knocked out, and get it all done at once. Usually once I walk out that door, I ain't coming back! But this time I have little choice, and I'm tired, and getting old. If I don't suck it up now, I'll grow old with no choppers! LOL

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 10:14 AM
BC powder directly on the tooth takes away the inflammation that is pushing the tooth up. Let it permeate the tooth and surrounding tissue, then use a little water to slosh it around and rinse it down. Repeat as needed.

What is BC powder?

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 10:16 AM
What is BC powder?

Quick search and I found it, along with "goody's" pain reliever. I used the goody's for headaches when I was down south but never saw it up here. I suspect the reason I never heard of BC powder is the same, but I'll look!

Anton Chigurh
05-24-2012, 10:19 AM
Quick search and I found it, along with "goody's" pain reliever. I used the goody's for headaches when I was down south but never saw it up here. I suspect the reason I never heard of BC powder is the same, but I'll look!Goody's and BC, same stuff. Works wonders for local inflammation as well as overall.

Get that inflammation down thereby avoiding a abscess, then get to the dentist and save that tooth.

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 10:28 AM
Goody's and BC, same stuff. Works wonders for local inflammation as well as overall.

Get that inflammation down thereby avoiding a abscess, then get to the dentist and save that tooth.

That's the goal, but I'm afraid it may not be saveable at this point. At any rate, gonna look for the powder at CVS and such around here in a few minutes...

fj1200
05-24-2012, 10:51 AM
Toothless...

At least your toothless grin will match your wife-beater t-shirts. :poke:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 01:05 PM
At least your toothless grin will match your wife-beater t-shirts. :poke:

Even worse than a wife beater, you'll love my next post!! :lol:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 01:12 PM
So this is a picture of me, with the look of horror, before I put the crap that Anton recommended to me in my mouth. I think you can even see a bead of sweat running down the side of my cheek! (ok, I did just return from the gym)

http://i50.tinypic.com/34dg1fn.jpg

And this is the horrid stuff I had to place in my mouth, basically just crushed aspirin, which allows it to work faster. And the powder, and the packaging, makes it look a lot like cocaine! (not that I ever touched the stuff) (but would be funny to place on the bar next to a beer and see what people think)

http://i46.tinypic.com/warg9y.jpg

And this is my face while I was letting this crap sit on my tooth. Horrible is an understatement, might as well have just eaten a rock. I believe my facial expression tells it all!

http://i50.tinypic.com/f9vfk.jpg

And this stuff works FAST! And it has caffeine in it. And I guzzled a coffee afterwards. I felt pretty good, so took another picture. This will gross out the ladies and make the men quickly leave this thread, but I'm cool like that! About 2 years now and still can't get rid of that effin belly! I'm chugging towards 43, have the belly of a 65yr old and I suppose teeth of a grandpa! :lol: (oh, and "prison tattoos" or "convict" comments will get you a big FU) (I hadn't realized just how fat and ugly I am until I took a picture. I generally avoid the mirror, so as not to turn to stone)

http://i45.tinypic.com/osejck.jpg

ConHog
05-24-2012, 01:20 PM
I didn't realize Jim was a guido. I guess now he can go join the outcast thread. :laugh2:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 01:23 PM
I didn't realize Jim was a guido. I guess now he can go join the outcast thread. :laugh2:

That's worse than calling me a convict! No Italian in me at all. I'm just a dirtbag, nothing more and nothing less. Tattoos DO NOT equal guido, fuckface.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 01:37 PM
That's worse than calling me a convict! No Italian in me at all. I'm just a dirtbag, nothing more and nothing less. Tattoos DO NOT equal guido, fuckface.

LOL with your hair slicked back Ray Liotta style you look like an extra from Goodfellas. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 01:38 PM
LOL with your hair slicked back Ray Liotta style you look like an extra from Goodfellas. :laugh:

Nah, just sweating from the gym, and the fear of that powder crap. My hair is fairly short now too, but not guidoish!

Trigg
05-24-2012, 02:51 PM
A friend gave me that stuff for a headache one time in highschool.

My mother found it (while snooping through my car) and thought it was coke, until my dad came home and assured her it was just asperin.

Mr. P
05-24-2012, 03:15 PM
http://i45.tinypic.com/osejck.jpg

So, no ones gonna say "Nice TiTS!" LMAO!!!

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
So, no ones gonna say "Nice TiTS!" LMAO!!!

I hate you! :lol:

I need to get more tattoos on my chest, and maybe a few on the belly area. Maybe it'll hide the fat? :dunno:

Anton Chigurh
05-24-2012, 03:44 PM
But....

Did the treatment work, friendo?

Anton Chigurh
05-24-2012, 03:45 PM
A friend gave me that stuff for a headache one time in highschool.

My mother found it (while snooping through my car) and thought it was coke, until my dad came home and assured her it was just asperin.It is actually a ancient Chinese secret mixture of aspirin, tylenol and caffeine.

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 04:03 PM
But....

Did the treatment work, friendo?

Instead of posting my blubber, I should have thanked you first! Yes, in about 7 minutes after taking that stuff I was mostly out of pain. Still can't chew, but at least the throbbing stops. I'll be doing this every 5-6hrs I suppose, for the pain, and to help with any inflammation there may be for the appointment tomorrow.

It is actually a ancient Chinese secret mixture of aspirin, tylenol and caffeine.

Yep, 845mg of Aspirin and 65mg of caffeine. Probably explains how coffee has always helped my mild headaches! But still, even though this stuff is a life saver, and I would have forgotten it existed without you, it still tastes like ass!

Abbey Marie
05-24-2012, 04:06 PM

I need to get more tattoos on my chest, and maybe a few on the belly area. Maybe it'll hide the fat? :dunno:

I think you look kinda sexy!

:cool:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 04:15 PM
I think you look kinda sexy!

:cool:

You're already an admin here, such sucking up is fruitless as I have nothing else to offer! :lol:

Abbey Marie
05-24-2012, 04:18 PM
You're already an admin here, such sucking up is fruitless as I have nothing else to offer! :lol:

You mean I can't have your Steelers collection? Forget it then! :laugh2:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 04:22 PM
You mean I can't have your Steelers collection? Forget it then! :laugh2:

Things in my Steelers collection are like body parts to me. I'll share some with you for some boobies? :coffee:

Abbey Marie
05-24-2012, 04:25 PM
Things in my Steelers collection are like body parts to me. I'll share some with you for some boobies? :coffee:

I know you are tired of my pics of blue-footed boobies, so I found you a red-footed one!

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 04:29 PM
I know you are tired of my pics of blue-footed boobies, so I found you a red-footed one!

* sigh* All I ever get is birds! Someday...

Ok, gotta do the upgrade now...

Anton Chigurh
05-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Yep, 845mg of Aspirin and 65mg of caffeine. Probably explains how coffee has always helped my mild headaches! But still, even though this stuff is a life saver, and I would have forgotten it existed without you, it still tastes like ass!There was no warranty either expressed or implied, about the taste.:lol:

Glad it works for you. Keep that inflammation down and use a eye dropper with hydrogen peroxide in it, to put a drop or two on the tooth, so it will soak in there and kill bacteria. This is between sessions with the Goodys.

Wind Song
05-24-2012, 05:23 PM
When I had a tooth pulled they gave me lots of drugs. Valium just to sit in the chair. Can't your dentist help you out?

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:24 PM

Think that will work for me too? If so...I may have to give it a shot ;)

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 08:28 PM
Think that will work for me too? If so...I may have to give it a shot ;)

Send me a picture of your chest and belly area and I'll let you know. :hyper:

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 08:35 PM
When I had a tooth pulled they gave me lots of drugs. Valium just to sit in the chair. Can't your dentist help you out?

Hell, I have enough Xanax in front of me now to kill a her of elephants. It's not getting there, or nerves, it's the PAIN! Even with just a cleaning, they jab them pointy tools in and out of your teeth and gums and don't give a crap if it hurts you. Then if you need work done, you get that 3 foot needle, directly into your gums. Then the fun begins as you hear a loud pitched squealing noise, and that's a drill, and they are drilling into your teeth and not for oil. If you're lucky, they give you the laughing gas, or propofol, and just remove the fucker.

This all started when my parents had me get braces when I was just going into 7th grade or so. That is one of the most painful things! Every month they tighten them and you can't even drink for 2 days it hurts so bad. Endured that hell for about 3 years. I think that's what started me on avoiding the dentist and now it's come full circle and haunting me.

It hurts so bad right now. My appointment is for 2:30, and I can only guarantee one thing for sure - my ass is walking out that door with a prescription for Percocets or Vicodin!

Shadow
05-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Send me a picture of your chest and belly area and I'll let you know. :hyper:

Sneaky :laugh:

Dilloduck
05-24-2012, 08:41 PM

No fucking way---who died and made you boss of the outcasts?

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 08:46 PM
No fucking way---who died and made you boss of the outcasts?

Ya'll seen my misfit picture, there's really little reason to deny me entry.

Dilloduck
05-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Ya'll seen my misfit picture, there's really little reason to deny me entry.

oh alright but now everyone will want in---you're right--it is a bitch trying to keep everyone happy.

SassyLady
05-25-2012, 02:48 AM
Hell, I have enough Xanax in front of me now to kill a her of elephants. It's not getting there, or nerves, it's the PAIN! Even with just a cleaning, they jab them pointy tools in and out of your teeth and gums and don't give a crap if it hurts you. Then if you need work done, you get that 3 foot needle, directly into your gums. Then the fun begins as you hear a loud pitched squealing noise, and that's a drill, and they are drilling into your teeth and not for oil. If you're lucky, they give you the laughing gas, or propofol, and just remove the fucker.

This all started when my parents had me get braces when I was just going into 7th grade or so. That is one of the most painful things! Every month they tighten them and you can't even drink for 2 days it hurts so bad. Endured that hell for about 3 years. I think that's what started me on avoiding the dentist and now it's come full circle and haunting me.

It hurts so bad right now. My appointment is for 2:30, and I can only guarantee one thing for sure - my ass is walking out that door with a prescription for Percocets or Vicodin!

Have you ever asked for laughing gas .... helps people who are fearful of the shots, drills, etc.

jimnyc
05-25-2012, 11:57 AM
Coming up on my appointment, wish me luck. I am feeling lousy so far today. I woke up at about 5am with my whole jaw throbbing. I took the BC powder thing immediately, let the dogs out, and then went back to bed. About a half an hour later my stomach started hurting, and did for about 3-4 hours. My wife said it's probably from taking the powder on an empty stomach. Lord knows she is ALWAYS right, so I suppose I should have eaten first, when the mere thought of eating and biting right now makes my tooth hurt!

And I hope the Anbesol Gel isn't toxic to swallow. I pumped nearly a whole tube of that crap in my mouth overnight and this morn.

If this fucker doesn't "cure" me one way or another today, I move on to Vodka tonight, which as we know cures all illnesses.

logroller
05-25-2012, 12:10 PM
That sucks Jim. I'll be drunk tonight, I'll raise my glass to ya!

Abbey Marie
05-25-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry, Jim! toothaches are horrid.

jimnyc
05-25-2012, 05:11 PM
R.I.P. Molar 1968-2012 While he lived a long life, he was consistently abused. His suffering is now over.

So instead of just going to the Oral Surgeon as I told my wife I should have, I made an appointment with the regular dentist to have things checked out. He noticed it was a tad loose, but he said it didn't "appear" to be as bad as I had thought, that the "black" I saw was from a cavity being filled and it was just the filling. Next he did an X-ray. He came back and said I had a choice....

The tooth had a severe crack in it, below the gum line. He said he could give me a few antibiotics and return early next week, and he was try a root canal and perhaps save it. Other than some pain pills, I would have to deal with it until it was completed next week. I was already nervous about what decision to make. But then he said that even if he we went that route, due to the angle of the tooth, what the swelling has done to it, and the size of the crack - and of course the physical shape of a 43yr old tooth - he said it was like a 75-80% chance I would lose it anyway.

No way in hell I go through all of that with a 25% chance of success. He said he could make a phone call and get me squeezed in to have it pulled today by an oral surgeon - which of course was the exact same place I would have went directly to! So I paid $175 to end up being sent to where I would have went anyway.

So I'm now at the surgeons office, sitting in the chair. I asked the nurse with nice firm little boobies a couple of questions about propofol, which is what I had last time to knock me out. She said each doctor has preferences, and "Dr. Hirsch" uses "blah blah blah" < --- Which I cannot remember the name. Anyway, he comes in and they stick a needle in my arm and then get the juice flowing. Within 15-20 seconds I already started feeling woozy, but that was as far as it went. Then he starts! I feel all this struggling and MASSIVE amount of pain. I was literally trembling. The nurse was telling me "Relax, honey..." "Calm down, not much longer". By the time he finished, I was shaking like a leaf and was having trouble catching my breath. The tooth was out, and I was in more pain than before I arrived - AND THEN they give me 3 Motrin pills. WTF? But it did ease the pain a tad in about 15-20mins. Then it was off to CVS to get my prescription for Vicodin filled. And while it's kicking in, I can't enjoy them properly as I have a big piece of disgustingly bloody gauze in my mouth.

At least it's over, and maybe I can enjoy the drugs a little more tomorrow! And now I'm supposed to start making appointments to get 2 "dental implants", cosmetic on 2 others and perhaps a few cavities filled. This is what happens when you avoid the dentist - and ya think I want to go back after today?

I won't wish death on him, as he did successfully pull my tooth without killing me. But he's not my friend right now.

Wind Song
05-25-2012, 05:15 PM
Wow. What an ordeal. I hope you feel better soon.

jimnyc
05-25-2012, 05:19 PM
Wow. What an ordeal. I hope you feel better soon.

Thanks, appreciate it!

And normally I would admit that I'm a wuss about such things, and maybe the experience wasn't quite as bad as I have written. But this was spot on and one of the most painful things I have ever endured. I mean, what do they think when a patient is grabbing the armchairs with white knuckles and shaking? That's why I PAID extra to be knocked out, so I wouldn't experience that. My insurance won't cover that portion and it was an extra $300 I paid for the drugs and it didn't work like it should have.

Wind Song
05-25-2012, 05:23 PM
Thanks, appreciate it!

And normally I would admit that I'm a wuss about such things, and maybe the experience wasn't quite as bad as I have written. But this was spot on and one of the most painful things I have ever endured. I mean, what do they think when a patient is grabbing the armchairs with white knuckles and shaking? That's why I PAID extra to be knocked out, so I wouldn't experience that. My insurance won't cover that portion and it was an extra $300 I paid for the drugs and it didn't work like it should have.

I hear you. I had so much dental fear that I didn't seek dental chair for a decade. Ever see Little Shop of Horrors?

Anton Chigurh
05-25-2012, 05:27 PM
Sounds like the vodka and the rusty pliers might have been the better deal, friendo.

jimnyc
05-25-2012, 06:35 PM
Sounds like the vodka and the rusty pliers might have been the better deal, friendo.

I don't think it could have been worse. I wonder if there's a reason they can't/didn't give novacaine in addition to the drugs to knock you out? At least then, regardless of how well the drugs "knock you out", you certainly won't feel the pain, and you also won't feel the pain when you wake from the sleep you never had! If that makes any sense.

Abbey Marie
05-25-2012, 08:02 PM
Man, Jim, I had a root canal last year and didn't feel a thing.

jimnyc
05-26-2012, 05:44 AM
I hate to sound like a chronic complainer, which my wife calls me, and I guess which is a bit true...

I noticed last night that my throat was getting sorer and sorer, but the Vicodin allowed me to deal with it. But I got up about 5:45 this morning and could barely swallow. I immediately gargled with warm water and salt, followed by a warm tea with honey. Still sore but much better, and of course I did my best "House MD" impersonation and popped a couple of Vicodin.

I then did a search on Google for "Sore throat after tooth pulled" and found it to be somewhat common after an extraction of a molar or wisdom tooth.

Any tips besides what I've done already?

Gaffer
05-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I hate to sound like a chronic complainer, which my wife calls me, and I guess which is a bit true...

I noticed last night that my throat was getting sorer and sorer, but the Vicodin allowed me to deal with it. But I got up about 5:45 this morning and could barely swallow. I immediately gargled with warm water and salt, followed by a warm tea with honey. Still sore but much better, and of course I did my best "House MD" impersonation and popped a couple of Vicodin.

I then did a search on Google for "Sore throat after tooth pulled" and found it to be somewhat common after an extraction of a molar or wisdom tooth.

Any tips besides what I've done already?

1. Never go back to that oral surgeon. He's a cheap bastard that's cutting costs with Novocaine and anesthetics. And he's not using them properly.

2. the sore throat is from infection, probably from the tooth bleeding and running down your throat.

3. Do the salt water gargle about every three hours. It keeps the hole cleaned out and reduces the infection germs in your throat.

jimnyc
05-26-2012, 06:50 PM
1. Never go back to that oral surgeon. He's a cheap bastard that's cutting costs with Novocaine and anesthetics. And he's not using them properly.

2. the sore throat is from infection, probably from the tooth bleeding and running down your throat.

3. Do the salt water gargle about every three hours. It keeps the hole cleaned out and reduces the infection germs in your throat.

He didn't prescribe any antibiotics either which I thought was odd. I still have recent amoxicillin, so I'm going to continue to take it anyway. I've been doing the gargling on and off today and my wife has been making me some tea concoction that has helped. It's feeling much better now. Sucks though, as once it all heals, I'll have to find a good dentist or oral surgeon to get a few implants. I just want to get them and get it out of the way. I know if I wait too long I'll never go back until something hurts again.

logroller
05-28-2012, 08:10 PM
Ive heard Dental implants are super expensive. Grand a tooth or some such. They put in some cadaver bone, let that heal, then drill and implant a stud, upon which the actual tooth part attaches.