PDA

View Full Version : Teen dies while texting the dangers of texting and driving

Little-Acorn
05-24-2012, 11:51 AM
It's a horrible tragedy. All you can say is, thank God she didn't kill anyone else too. The contents of her texts just add that last jabbing irony.

But you have to wonder just how stupid someone has to be, to text while driving in the first place. What's next? "Man killed while watching portable television while driving"???

BTW, a note to the grieving parents: I certainly feel for your grief. But Idaho already has laws against distracted driving, which your daughter ignored. What makes you think making more laws on the same thing, will make any difference to the next stupid kid with a cell phone?

It's a horrible time to lecture on this. But the fact remains, if you trust government to take care of your kids (by making laws), some of them are going to wind up dead. GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO IT.

After seeing my son talking on his cell phone while driving, I put a low-power cell phone jammer in the seat foam of his car. He's still alive. And it's only a little illegal.

--------------------------------------------

http://autos.aol.com/article/teen-dies-while-texting-the-dangers-of-texting/

Tragic Irony: Teen Dies While Texting The Dangers Of Texting And Driving
Parents make plea to outlaw texting and driving in Idaho
AOL Original Content Posted: Mar 05, 2012
By: AOL Autos Staff

Taylor Sauer, a college student driving home on a lonely road, was texting with a friend via Facebook when her car crashed into a tanker truck at 80 miles per hour, killing her instantly. The tragic irony of the situation was revealed in her phone records shortly after: At the time of the accident, she had been texting about the dangers of texting and driving.

Her last message, sent moments before the crash on Jan. 14, said, "I can't discuss this now. Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha."

According to the phone records, Sauer, 18, was posting on Facebook about every 90 seconds.

"I think she was probably (texting) to stay awake, she was probably tired," Taylor's father, Clay Sauer, told Ann Curry on The TODAY Show. "But that's not a reason to do it, and the kids think they're invincible. To them, (texting) is not distracting, they're so proficient at texting, that they don't feel it's distracted driving."

Taylor's parents have since become activists in their home state of Idaho, trying to get the government to pass laws against texting while driving.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:00 PM
It's a horrible tragedy. All you can say is, thank God she didn't kill anyone else too. The contents of her texts just add that last jabbing irony.

But you have to wonder just how stupid someone has to be, to text while driving in the first place. What's next? "Man killed while watching portable television while driving"???

BTW, a note to the grieving parents: I certainly feel for your grief. But Idaho already has laws against distracted driving, which your daughter ignored. What makes you think making more laws on the same thing, will make any difference to the next stupid kid with a cell phone?

It's a horrible time to lecture on this. But the fact remains, if you trust government to take care of your kids (by making laws), some of them are going to wind up dead. GOVERNMENT CAN'T DO IT.

After seeing my son talking on his cell phone while driving, I put a low-power cell phone jammer in the seat foam of his car. He's still alive. And it's only a little illegal.

Taylor Sauer, a college student driving home on a lonely road, was texting with a friend via Facebook when her car crashed into a tanker truck at 80 miles per hour, killing her instantly. The tragic irony of the situation was revealed in her phone records shortly after: At the time of the accident, she had been texting about the dangers of texting and driving.

Her last message, sent moments before the crash on Jan. 14, said, "I can't discuss this now. Driving and facebooking is not safe! Haha."

According to the phone records, Sauer, 18, was posting on Facebook about every 90 seconds.

"I think she was probably (texting) to stay awake, she was probably tired," Taylor's father, Clay Sauer, told Ann Curry on The TODAY Show. "But that's not a reason to do it, and the kids think they're invincible. To them, (texting) is not distracting, they're so proficient at texting, that they don't feel it's distracted driving."

Taylor's parents have since become activists in their home state of Idaho, trying to get the government to pass laws against texting while driving.

What difference would a law have made? I certainly don't many teenager who say "oh I better not do that, I might get a ticket"

My two boys think "I better not do that, cuz if I do and dad finds out he'll beat the ever loving shit out of me" and my daughter will feel the same when she's older.

Hey it worked for me and my siblings, and my parents before us.

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:07 PM
What difference would a law have made? I certainly don't many teenager who say "oh I better not do that, I might get a ticket"

My two boys think "I better not do that, cuz if I do and dad finds out he'll beat the ever loving shit out of me" and my daughter will feel the same when she's older.

Hey it worked for me and my siblings, and my parents before us.

You want your daughter to think her dad will "beat the shit" out of her?...

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:08 PM
You want your daughter to think her dad will "beat the shit" out of her?...

Yes, I want my daughter to know that I will punish her for wrongdoing.

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:10 PM

Punished with physical violence on a 17ish year old?

Little-Acorn
05-24-2012, 12:12 PM
Punished with physical violence on a 17ish year old?

You were about to suggest an alternative that would more effectively save her life, I believe?

Or were you merely whining?

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:16 PM
You were about to suggest an alternative that would more effectively save her life, I believe?

Or were you merely whining?

If you need to be told an alternative to how to have your kid respect you without making them fear physical violence, then somethings gone wrong.

Little-Acorn
05-24-2012, 12:18 PM
If you need to be told an alternative to how to have your kid respect you without making them fear physical violence, then somethings gone wrong.

As I thought. You are merely whining without offering anything useful.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:20 PM

Really? I'm 41, my sister is 39 (29) and my brother is 36. We grew up absolutely knowing that dad would throttle us if we ever got into serious trouble. We all managed to graduate college, and lead successful lives ourselves in spite of the horror of a whipping. Yes, received quite a few growing up, as did my brother and sister.

Thanks for the whippings dad.

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:22 PM
As I thought. You are merely whining without offering anything useful.

So you think the only to get your child to respect you without threatening physical violence?

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
So you think the only to get your child to respect you without threatening physical violence?

who said only junior? When your balls drop and you have kids of your own, you will realize that

A) you need multiple weapons in your parenting arsenal

B) each child and situation is different , so there is no ONLY option.

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Really? I'm 41, my sister is 39 (29) and my brother is 36. We grew up absolutely knowing that dad would throttle us if we ever got into serious trouble. We all managed to graduate college, and lead successful lives ourselves in spite of the horror of a whipping. Yes, received quite a few growing up, as did my brother and sister.

Thanks for the whippings dad.

Well as they say - barbarism begins at home.

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:25 PM
who said only junior? When your balls drop and you have kids of your own, you will realize that

A) you need multiple weapons in your parenting arsenal

B) each child and situation is different , so there is no ONLY option.

Well when my balls drop and i have kids of my own none of them will fear their father 'beating the shit' out of them.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:28 PM
Well when my balls drop and i have kids of my own none of them will fear their father 'beating the shit' out of them.

I'll see them all on England's Most Wanted in ten years. :laugh2:

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:32 PM
I'll see them all on England's Most Wanted in ten years. :laugh2:

I don't live in England ^,^ and anyways why am I not on that list!

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM

I refer you to earlier when I said that it wasn't the ONLY option.

Noir
05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I refer you to earlier when I said that it wasn't the ONLY option.

"Beating the shit" out of your children shouldn't be an option at all. But anyways you jape was that a child who didn't fear their fathers fists would be a criminal, thenso why not me?

Anton Chigurh
05-24-2012, 12:37 PM
I guess it wouldn't have been so tragic if it was eating a sammich, applying makeup, adjusting the radio, fixing her hair, or ogling male construction workers which caused the distraction which caused the wreck.

Distracted driving is distracted driving. There's already laws everywhere which cover it, blanket style. We don't need more silly laws.

This is a play to emotions, making people forget to critically THINK and just feel bad, want something done.

Even if it's stupid, and wrong.

Sheep fall for this shit though, every time.

Must have moar gubmint!

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:39 PM
"Beating the shit" out of your children shouldn't be an option at all. But anyways you jape was that a child who didn't fear their fathers fists would be a criminal, thenso why not me?

Umm perhaps because getting in trouble just wasn't in your nature?????????????? Who knows.

I guess this wouldn't be a good time to mention I also spank my wife. :laugh2:

Little-Acorn
05-24-2012, 12:39 PM

Is there a coherent sentence in actual English somewhere in there?

Well as they say - barbarism begins at home.
Your stunning ignorance on childrearing is matched only by your persistence in ignoring grim facts and results.

That girl clearly didn't fear any punishment from dad for her stupid acts. How is that working out for her now?

How likely is it that her parents never so much as slapped her wrist for any of the bad things kids always do, the parents being in a paroxysm of fear about "breaking her spirit"? And so wound up with a dumb, disrespectful, wild kid who never listened and just did whatever she felt like doing? Even if you haven't gotten any smarter from this tragedy, do you suppose they might have? Sadly too late?

ConHog
05-24-2012, 12:44 PM
Is there a coherent sentence in actual English somewhere in there?

Your stunning ignorance on childrearing is matched only by your persistence in ignoring grim facts and results.

That girl clearly didn't fear any punishment from dad for her stupid acts. How is that working out for her now?

How likely is it that her parents never so much as slapped her wrist for any of the bad things kids always do, the parents being in a paroxysm of fear about "breaking her spirit"? And so wound up with a dumb, disrespectful, wild kid who never listened and just did whatever she felt like doing? Even if you haven't gotten any smarter from this tragedy, do you suppose they might have? Sadly too late?

and a child who doesn't fear repercussions from her parents probably isn't going to fear repercussions for the law either. That's just basic sense.

That is something I have noticed in abundance lately, children have NO respect for their parents, and they grow up having NO respect for LEOs. Sad and pathetic.

I guess I'll be "that guy." In my day, we would NEVER have thought of fighting with a police officer who was writing us a ticket we deserved. Just as an example.

But then again, in my day we had fights every day at school , and nearly every pickup truck in the parking lot was unlocked and had a loaded hunting rifle hanging on the rear window yet no one ever went and got one and shot up the school either.

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 01:37 PM

When I was growing up, we got the belt! Mom would wait for Dad to come home from work, she would "rat me out", and then the belt would come off. I would run to my room and prepare for it. I'm sure he tempered himself a bit, but whatever it was I did, I certainly didn't do again for quite some time! I think it was more scary than it hurt, but it was effective. Look at the big dirtbag I grew up to be! :lol:

But now things are different. Not even a regular spanking for my son, no one seems to believe in it around these parts and some would even call the cops if they saw you do so. But my eldest brother lives in Georgia, in the sticks, and they still get it down there. In fact, since he's a bit gimpy from an injury, the kids have to go get the belt for daddy, and then bend over his knee and wait for it!! They usually laugh afterwards. LOL

ConHog
05-24-2012, 01:39 PM
When I was growing up, we got the belt! Mom would wait for Dad to come home from work, she would "rat me out", and then the belt would come off. I would run to my room and prepare for it. I'm sure he tempered himself a bit, but whatever it was I did, I certainly didn't do again for quite some time! I think it was more scary than it hurt, but it was effective. Look at the big dirtbag I grew up to be! :lol:

But now things are different. Not even a regular spanking for my son, no one seems to believe in it around these parts and some would even call the cops if they saw you do so. But my eldest brother lives in Georgia, in the sticks, and they still get it down there. In fact, since he's a bit gimpy from an injury, the kids have to go get the belt for daddy, and then bend over his knee and wait for it!! They usually laugh afterwards. LOL

dude, my grandpa used to make us go cut our own switch out of a tree. Lord help you if you didn't pick out a quality switch.

DragonStryk72
05-24-2012, 01:50 PM
Fuck you both! My mother didn't need to hit us, she could glare through floors, walls, and ceilings.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 02:06 PM
Fuck you both! My mother didn't need to hit us, she could glare through floors, walls, and ceilings.

Ah, another classic, the mom glare, which also translates as the wife glare LOL

Abbey Marie
05-24-2012, 03:57 PM
I'm giving you the Admin glare right now. :laugh2:

logroller
05-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Well the obvious answer would be...they don't want you in England.

Sidestreamer
05-24-2012, 05:05 PM

It's a horrible consequence, but I disagree with any law prohibiting texting while driving. We live in a world that demands efficiency, and when I need to tell my business partner that the lolcat on our corporate logo should be removed because it quit being funny 17 seconds ago, that communication can make the difference between getting that last sale or losing on some profits. Damn the kids. They should have known how to multitask better.

Little-Acorn
05-24-2012, 05:13 PM
It's a horrible consequence, but I disagree with any law prohibiting texting while driving. We live in a world that demands efficiency, and when I need to tell my business partner that the lolcat on our corporate logo should be removed because it quit being funny 17 seconds ago, that communication can make the difference between getting that last sale or losing on some profits. Damn the kids. They should have known how to multitask better.

So pull over and text to your heart's content.

But I'd appreciate it if you didn't accidentally nudge me into the oncoming traffic lane while multitasking between reading your little display, driving, and patting yourself on the back while kidding yourself about doing such an efficient job of it all.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
So pull over and text to your heart's content.

But I'd appreciate it if you didn't accidentally nudge me into the oncoming traffic lane while multitasking between reading your little display, driving, and patting yourself on the back while kidding yourself about doing such an efficient job of it all.

I think your sarcasm meter missed one here LA. Least that's the way I read it.

Abbey Marie
05-24-2012, 05:16 PM
I see it akin to driving heavy machinery while under the influence of a narcotic. Cars can be deadly weapons, and every young person I know is addicted to their smart phone. They cannot put them down, and jump to every text alert

ConHog
05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
I see it akin to driving heavy machinery while under the influence of a narcotic. Cars can be deadly weapons, and every young person I know is addicted to their smart phone. They cannot put them down, and jump to every text alert

that's no joke, but it's not just kids, hell grown people. We were at DisneyWorld last year and people were texting like hell instead of enjoying their vacations. LOL

logroller
05-24-2012, 05:42 PM
Cars are dangerous; not texting. People need to learn how to drive better. If they need to hear don't text and drive, they're obviously an easily distracted driver. Why not make a no shaving or putting on makeup law....probably cause it wouldn't help; the only thing that makes people more considerate of is the nearest cop. They should make a law against left-lane lollygagging. That's a law which begs consideration.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 05:47 PM
Cars are dangerous; not texting. People need to learn how to drive better. If they need to hear don't text and drive, they're obviously an easily distracted driver. Why not make a no shaving or putting on makeup law....probably cause it wouldn't help; the only thing that makes people more considerate of is the nearest cop. They should make a law against left-lane lollygagging. That's a law which begs consideration.

actually, it IS illegal in most jurisdictions to not get into the right lane when faster traffic come up behind, but it's rarely enforced.

logroller
05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
actually, it IS illegal in most jurisdictions to not get into the right lane when faster traffic come up behind, but it's rarely enforced.
Ive never heard of anybody being ticketed for it. My wife was pulled over a few months back for driving ten under the speed limit on a two lane road. Not ticketed, but that's stupid. Sadly I wasn there; I would have demanded a citation of law. I'm quite sure it was an unlawful stop.

DragonStryk72
05-24-2012, 06:07 PM
Ive never heard of anybody being ticketed for it. My wife was pulled over a few months back for driving ten under the speed limit on a two lane road. Not ticketed, but that's stupid. Sadly I wasn there; I would have demanded a citation of law. I'm quite sure it was an unlawful stop.

Unless there is a posted minimum speed (This does occur in New Jersey), then you are correct, she was unlawfully stopped.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 06:11 PM

Unlawful stop? No. But there is a reason she wasn't ticketed.

Little-Acorn
05-24-2012, 06:29 PM
I think your sarcasm meter missed one here LA. Least that's the way I read it.

You're right. My apologies, Sidestreamer.

Guess I was busy texting while surfing.

>:-O

ConHog
05-24-2012, 06:38 PM
You're right. My apologies, Sidestreamer.

Guess I was busy texting while surfing.

>:-O

logroller
05-24-2012, 06:53 PM
Unless there is a posted minimum speed (This does occur in New Jersey), then you are correct, she was unlawfully stopped.
Cali. There is a law a out impeding something or another. 5 cars behind you, I think, and you're supposed to yield the right of way.

Unlawful stop? No. But there is a reason she wasn't ticketed.
What's the std; reasonable suspicion, right? Ie suspicion of some violation of law.

DragonStryk72
05-24-2012, 07:02 PM
Cali. There is a law a out impeding something or another. 5 cars behind you, I think, and you're supposed to yield the right of way.

What's the std; reasonable suspicion, right? Ie suspicion of some violation of law.

Signage for this is still required, however, as it pertains to speed limits and minimums so that out-of-state people aren't getting rabidly screwed over.

WiccanLiberal
05-31-2012, 06:07 PM
The problem here on Long Island is horrific. I have been driving for more years than I care to recall. In that time I have seen people on the highways around here apply makeup, shave, eat, talk on the phone, read the newspaper, read a map and, I think, use a laptop computer in the passenger seat. It is not limited to young drivers either. Even something as seemingly innocuous as changing the radio station can be dangerous at speed. I would vastly prefer it if current distracted driving laws were enforced rather than wasting time and resources promulgating new ones. These laws after the fact always strike me as lawmakers pandering to the media interest in a sympathy issue.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 06:12 PM
The problem here on Long Island is horrific. I have been driving for more years than I care to recall. In that time I have seen people on the highways around here apply makeup, shave, eat, talk on the phone, read the newspaper, read a map and, I think, use a laptop computer in the passenger seat. It is not limited to young drivers either. Even something as seemingly innocuous as changing the radio station can be dangerous at speed. I would vastly prefer it if current distracted driving laws were enforced rather than wasting time and resources promulgating new ones. These laws after the fact always strike me as lawmakers pandering to the media interest in a sympathy issue.

woohooo another Gabby style liberal. One good shove and she'd be conservative to. :dance:

WiccanLiberal
05-31-2012, 06:33 PM
I am liberal in a lot of ways but I have my Dad's example to thank for the conviction that personal responsibility should count for something and that additional regulations will not compensate for the lack thereof. He also taught me to be skeptical of what the media chooses to report. They are corporate entities and history has repeatedly shown us that ALL news outlets have some bias, some point of view to promote.

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
I have had a few near misses with drivers who insisted on texting while driving. I remember one afternoon, in the car with my parents, about to enter a carpark. Lady on the way out had her phone in her hand and was texting and she nearly crashed into us. We yelled at her and tooted the horn but she just didn't care. Drove off and kept texting.

Anyone caught texting a driving should receive an immediate suspension of their license for a person of no less than 60 days - perhaps more.

CSM
06-01-2012, 07:40 AM
I have had a few near misses with drivers who insisted on texting while driving. I remember one afternoon, in the car with my parents, about to enter a carpark. Lady on the way out had her phone in her hand and was texting and she nearly crashed into us. We yelled at her and tooted the horn but she just didn't care. Drove off and kept texting.

Anyone caught texting a driving should receive an immediate suspension of their license for a person of no less than 60 days - perhaps more.

I say we should shoot them dead. 100% effective at ensuring they will never do it again. Same sentence for any other criminal act. I am all bout reform!

darin
06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Curious - we spend a few months teaching our teens to drive (paying a service, generally), then grant them a license and send them on their merry way. We protest shooting ranges near schools, but not driving schools or car lots - when death by car is how many times MORE likely?

My daughter started driving last year - she's 12. She now can drive the truck around the yard with at least enough skill where I can say "Bring the truck to me" when I'm out back.

She knows how to operate a car.

She does NOT have the wisdom to operate a car, however, because wisdom takes time.

One solution - adopt German-style licensing programs. Start driver's traing about age 13. Make it a 3 year course requiring time on a track to practice emergency manuevers and precision car control?

I dunno - lawmakers do NOT want to touch the REAL problem in cases like these...a very low-skill level among their constituants. See: Toyota 'stuck accelerator problem'...and the results "driver error". :(

Voted4Reagan
06-01-2012, 08:43 AM

yeah....TIME-OUT and GROUNDING work so well with today's 17yo's.

Get your head out of the clouds Dr. Spock

darin
06-01-2012, 08:48 AM
yeah....TIME-OUT and GROUNDING work so well with today's 17yo's.

Get your head out of the clouds Dr. Spock

We "beat" our kids when they were little - made them cry...to prevent them making US cry when the kids got older...

Our kids are the best-behaved, best-adjusted, and most-loved kids in their school; i'm convinced of it.

I don't beat my kids because it makes ME or THEM 'Feel good'. I beat my kids because I LOVE them enough to do whatever it takes to steer them into a productive life. Apart from discipline, no child will likely grow to be a productive member of society.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=beat
How come everyone today is too much of a pussy to smack their kids around? That's what I want to know: why are parents afraid to beat their kids? When I was a kid and I screwed up, my parents beat my ass. We didn't have a conversation about it. I didn't have a "time out." In fact, I've never even once been grounded in my life. What's the point? Send your kid to his room and make him play video games and read comic books all day? Great idea, why don't you take him to a psychiatrist while you're at it so she can pull some disorder out of her ass to hide the fact that you're a bad parent? </SPAN>

Abbey Marie
06-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Curious - we spend a few months teaching our teens to drive (paying a service, generally), then grant them a license and send them on their merry way. We protest shooting ranges near schools, but not driving schools or car lots - when death by car is how many times MORE likely?

My daughter started driving last year - she's 12. She now can drive the truck around the yard with at least enough skill where I can say "Bring the truck to me" when I'm out back.

She knows how to operate a car.

She does NOT have the wisdom to operate a car, however, because wisdom takes time.

One solution - adopt German-style licensing programs. Start driver's traing about age 13. Make it a 3 year course requiring time on a track to practice emergency manuevers and precision car control?

I dunno - lawmakers do NOT want to touch the REAL problem in cases like these...a very low-skill level among their constituants. See: Toyota 'stuck accelerator problem'...and the results "driver error". :(

That is an awesome way to teach driving.

ConHog
06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
My son learned to drive the same way I did.

On the farm. There are always fallen trees, rocks, hay, etc etc that need hauled around. Perfect time to learn and practice those driving skills without hitting the road.

Not getting a full license until age 18 though isn't a very good option for areas like I live in though. Too many families rely on teenagers being able to drive their younger siblings back and forth when necessary.