PDA

View Full Version : Yep, another upgrade!

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Vbulletin has just released version 4.2 - I am going to bring the board down at 5:30pm EST for a 15-20min upgrade. Here are the changes/fixes in this release:

Activity Stream
There has been a great deal of interest in including an activity stream in our product’s core. We’ve included this feature in our latest version, giving users up-to-the-minute information on what others are doing within the community.

http://static.ibsrv.net/newsletters/VB/images/01a.Activitiy_Stream.jpg

The activity stream is configurable by both admins and users. As an admin, have the ability to define global settings that shape the experience that you want your users to have. On the other hand, your users can use any of a number of filters to personalize their activity stream within the global settings put in place by the admin.

Navigation Manager
It is important to have the flexibility to customize how your forum’s menu options are arranged and formatted. This release includes updates to the navigation manager that enhance your ability to customize your navigation and sub-navigation menus. Here's how it works:

The image below shows the different sections of the navigation bar that you can make changes to with this feature.

http://static.ibsrv.net/newsletters/VB/images/navmgr1a.png

Cron-Based Batch Email Sending
Previously, any attempt to send email to a large number of forum users would have resulted in overloading your server and/or running the risk of exceeding your web host’s email send limit. We’ve added batch email sending via cron job to version 4.2 to help you avoid such issues.
Reputation Controls
Your members will be notified whenever they have received new reputation points. Reputation is also visible in more places in this latest version.

"Who has Read a Thread"
This new feature gives users the ability to view everyone who has read a particular discussion.

Double Post Prevention
Version 4.2 comes with additional controls to help prevent the posting of duplicate content.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 05:10 PM
any "upgrade" that does not involve making ME the supreme being is no upgrade at all.

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Ok folks, I'll be working on a few things going forward. Due to the specific theme I have installed, a few of the new options are not running. If I enable them, away go the changes with the theme. So anyway...

The one big change, the "Activity Stream" - Look along the navigation bar, next to the "Recent Thanks" - click on Activity Stream and you'll see it working that way. (circled in black below)

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vih06h.jpg

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 05:55 PM
Last visit date and how many unread posts has been fixed and placed back underneath where the login box is...

jimnyc
05-24-2012, 06:00 PM
Please post any questions here, or if you find anything else broken. I'll check back in after dinner and work things out if I broke anything else!

Wind Song
05-24-2012, 06:01 PM
Thank you for the upgrade. Let me know when you're talking to me again.

logroller
05-24-2012, 06:05 PM
The activity stream is faster than the posting; I swear I saw a response from ch on activity monitor a full minute before it appeared in the thread. Weird.

ConHog
05-24-2012, 06:17 PM
The activity stream is faster than the posting; I swear I saw a response from ch on activity monitor a full minute before it appeared in the thread. Weird.

So you're activity stream stalking me? :laugh:

jimnyc
05-26-2012, 05:32 AM
If you scroll to the very bottom of the page, on every page you are reading (showthread.php in the URL), you will now see it showing a list of everyone who has read the thread. At least you should. Please let me know if you don't! And no, I'm really not sure why this is important! :laugh:

fj1200
05-26-2012, 05:39 AM
And no, I'm really not sure why this is important! :laugh:

It's so the pwner knows that the pwnee is aware of their pwnage. :laugh:

jimnyc
05-26-2012, 05:41 AM
It's so the pwner knows that the pwnee is aware of their pwnage. :laugh:

That was about all I could think of, so that I could say "haha, I see you read it and can't come up with a reply, you suck!"

But seriously, I suppose it's kind of cool to see how many people read your threads. Maybe have a better idea of what interests others, I dunno.

fj1200
06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
I noticed that the "last edited by..." seems to be working now, or at least registers edits more quickly.

jimnyc
06-05-2012, 01:18 PM
I noticed that the "last edited by..." seems to be working now, or at least registers edits more quickly.

It registers the edits, I changed this a few weeks back when we had a member editing her posts non-stop after others had already replied to her posts.