PDA

View Full Version : Ted Bundy worked volunteer at a crisis hotline

Anton Chigurh
05-25-2012, 10:40 PM
Bet you didn't know that.

Shadow
05-25-2012, 10:57 PM
Bet you didn't know that.

He wanted to get inside the head of "victims" maybe?

Ted Bundy quote...

“Well-meaning, decent people will condemn the behavior of a Ted Bundy, while they're walking past a magazine rack full of the very kinds of things that send young kids down the road to be Ted Bundys.”

Anton Chigurh
05-25-2012, 11:01 PM
He wanted to get inside the head of "victims" maybe?

Ted Bundy quote...

“Well-meaning, decent people will condemn the behavior of a Ted Bundy, while they're walking past a magazine rack full of the very kinds of things that send young kids down the road to be Ted Bundys.”Very insightful and intelligent post. Well done.

Notice the classic blame shifting and victimology of the proven sociopath, as shown in his statement?

Anton Chigurh
05-25-2012, 11:09 PM
Author Ann Rule worked side by side alone with Bundy on many long, late overnight shifts at the crisis hotline. She never had the slightest, vaguest clue of what he was...

Anton Chigurh
05-25-2012, 11:21 PM
He brought up an interesting question. What motivates a serial killer. So, I answered it.And it is a family dynamics topic because like all sociopaths, Bundy always claimed it was nurture, not nature, that made him the way he was. Blamed his mother and a rough stepfather. Blamed his family dynamics. Never took any personal responsibility.

He played the victim, until the lights in Stark dimmed.

Wind Song
05-25-2012, 11:21 PM
He brought up an interesting question. What motivates a serial killer. So, I answered it.

So be it. I wish you well. Good luck.

DragonStryk72
05-26-2012, 12:14 AM
And it is a family dynamics topic because like all sociopaths, Bundy always claimed it was nurture, not nature, that made him the way he was. Blamed his mother and a rough stepfather. Blamed his family dynamics. Never took any personal responsibility.

He played the victim, until the lights in Stark dimmed.

I don't really believe it is necessarily one or the other exclusively. Both play their parts in our lives, and to dismiss either one is to dismiss a portion of ourselves. We far too often try to fit complicated problems into neat little lines, especially making things into straight A or B decisions.

Actually, my general opinion on this is that it oddly enough makes sense that Bundy was on a hotline. It may not even have been a part of his hunt, but a legitimately good deed. It in no way makes up for the monstrous things he did, but there is no such thing as pure evil. Even Satan was at one point an angel.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:18 AM
Cuddle up to a psychopath. After all, even Hitler was kind to his dog.

DragonStryk72
05-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Cuddle up to a psychopath. After all, even Hitler was kind to his dog.

Never said to cuddle up to them. As I said, doing one nice thing does not make up for the horrible things that mass murderers and serial killers do, but denying that there was ever any good within them is false.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:26 AM
Never said to cuddle up to them. As I said, doing one nice thing does not make up for the horrible things that mass murderers and serial killers do, but denying that there was ever any good within them is false.

I agree. I was particularly struck by that when I read Lionel Dahmer's book about his son, Jeffrey.

I don't like dealing with people who deliberately try and fuck with you, or scare you, because they get off on it. Brrrr. Gives me the willies.

Anton Chigurh
05-26-2012, 12:26 AM
I don't really believe it is necessarily one or the other exclusively. Both play their parts in our lives, and to dismiss either one is to dismiss a portion of ourselves. We far too often try to fit complicated problems into neat little lines, especially making things into straight A or B decisions.

Actually, my general opinion on this is that it oddly enough makes sense that Bundy was on a hotline. It may not even have been a part of his hunt, but a legitimately good deed. It in no way makes up for the monstrous things he did, but there is no such thing as pure evil. Even Satan was at one point an angel.Ann Rule herself later said that even though she had finally accepted all Bundy had done, she knew for a fact that he saved some lives too. She was there.

The true sociopath is a evolutionary inferior, didn't get the higher emotional functions of empathy, compassion, and etc, from birth. And many of them have said in interviews that they knew it too, early in life, they they were different.

John Wayne Gacy described his first realization, at age 6.... When his mother died he went to the funeral, cried, did everything he knew he was supposed to mimic... Then when it was over just went and watched TV. As he said himself, "Because it did not matter to me, you see?"

Being the perfect predator, they are very intelligent also and learn early on to mimic the higher order emotions they can already see they're supposed to have - and they lack. This also makes them very envious of "normal" people, and they even delude themselves into believing they are the superior. This also is why they carefully construct the most likeable, noble personality they can - volunteering in crisis hotlines and etc is just part of the veneer, the act. The disguise.

The above, from Bundy himself ironically.

I would term it 90% nature, 10% nurture. For the true sociopath that is.

Kathianne
05-26-2012, 12:28 AM

I'm guessing he used the 'crisis line' to help find his victims.

Anton Chigurh
05-26-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm guessing he used the 'crisis line' to help find his victims.No, that wasn't part of his M.O. at all. It was part of his mask.

DragonStryk72
05-26-2012, 12:34 AM
Ann Rule herself later said that even though she had finally accepted all Bundy had done, she knew for a fact that he saved some lives too. She was there.

The true sociopath is a evolutionary inferior, didn't get the higher emotional functions of empathy, compassion, and etc, from birth. And many of them have said in interviews that they knew it too, early in life, they they were different.

John Wayne Gacy described hit first realization, at age 6.... When his mother died he went to the funeral, cried, did everything he knew he was supposed to mimic... Then when it was over just went and watched TV. As he said himself, "Because it did not matter to me, you see?"

Being the perfect predator, they are very intelligent also and learn early on to mimic the higher order emotions they can already see they're supposed to have - and they lack. This also makes them very envious of "normal" people, and they even delude themselves into believing they are the superior. This also is why they carefully construct the most likeable, noble personality they can - volunteering in crisis hotlines and etc is just part of the veneer, the act. The disguise.

The above, from Bundy himself ironically.

I would term it 90% nature, 10% nurture. For the true sociopath that is.

I don't know that we'll ever have a full answer to that. Certainly there are numerous sociopaths who do not get up to serial killing, or even killing period, maybe because they have parents who catch it early, or it's just not the bent that there mental problems take.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:34 AM
I'm guessing he used the 'crisis line' to help find his victims.

I don't think he did. He had a general strategy of having a fake broken arm and needing "help". He was good looking, no one would be able to tell the evil in his heart by his appearance.

Imagine how disturbing it would be to find out someone you know is capable of this.

The closest I've come is weird rural neighbors, and accidentally finding a guy I knew in the community, (very prominent position at our local mill) who was on Megan's list. He was so well received in our office. yuck. I wanted to vomit when I saw his mugshot in there.

Anton Chigurh
05-26-2012, 12:35 AM
I don't know that we'll ever have a full answer to that. Certainly there are numerous sociopaths who do not get up to serial killing, or even killing period, maybe because they have parents who catch it early, or it's just not the bent that there mental problems take.Many of them go undetected their entire lives. Many more might not kill, but they become child predators,etc.

The ones caught and identified? Are teaching us a great deal, through study of them.

DragonStryk72
05-26-2012, 12:36 AM
No, that wasn't part of his M.O. at all. It was part of his mask.

It may also have been an attempt to "save" himself, knowing that something was terribly wrong with him, and thinking that if he just played it straight long enough, then he could become normal.

Anton Chigurh
05-26-2012, 12:39 AM
It may also have been an attempt to "save" himself, knowing that something was terribly wrong with him, and thinking that if he just played it straight long enough, then he could become normal.Except that he was already doing his killings while volunteering at the crisis hotline. He is also one of the many who believed he was superior to the "normal" emotional humans. Therefore no desire to be one.

Kathianne
05-26-2012, 12:41 AM
No, that wasn't part of his M.O. at all. It was part of his mask.

Perhaps, but there's no reason to think he gave up all his victims, indeed the opposite is assumed.

DragonStryk72
05-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Many of them go undetected their entire lives. Many more might not kill, but they become child predators,etc.

The ones caught and identified? Are teaching us a great deal, through study of them.

And this is where study and awareness of the problem have improved things in this regards. While some would see the increasing the numbers of people diagnosed as a bad indication, it's actually more that we now know the signs of what to look for, and how to tell it apart from other issues.

The same can be said of ADD. While it does get misdiagnosed, on the whole, it's more that we now know what it is we're looking for, and even 50-60 years ago, we didn't have a term for it. So of course the numbers went up, just like the number of airplane crashes rose after the Wright Brothers flew.

Anton Chigurh
05-26-2012, 12:43 AM
Perhaps, but there's no reason to think he gave up all his victims, indeed the opposite is assumed.His M.O. was quite rigid and well established. It was random personal meetings using physical prop bait... Not using personal information gleaned from the suicide hotline.

However later, after he escaped from county jail and went to Florida, began his attacks in dorm rooms while the victims were sleeping.

Kathianne
05-26-2012, 12:52 AM
His M.O. was quite rigid and well established. It was random personal meetings using physical prop bait... Not using personal information gleaned from the suicide hotline.

However later, after he escaped from county jail and went to Florida, began his attacks in dorm rooms while the victims were sleeping.

I'll leave you to it. Not my thing, I don't want to understand serial killers. Hell I figure if I could really understand the mind of my ex, I'd be as crazy as he.

Anton Chigurh
05-26-2012, 07:28 AM
I'll leave you to it. Not my thing, I don't want to understand serial killers. Hell I figure if I could really understand the mind of my ex, I'd be as crazy as he.It's really a study of sociopaths, not serial killers strictly.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 08:40 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnV4RnWcmWo&feature=player_detailpage

a Nuroscientist's own research and brain scan proved that his brain is identical, in the crucial areas, to those of famous psychopaths and serial killers.
And He found that his family had a linage of murderers.

BUT... He's discovered that his upbringing in an very loving environment appears clearly to have overcome what "naturally" should have been his fate.

in related news...
Premeptive Strike, PRE THOUGHT CRIMES, PRE TOUGHT CRIMINALS , law breakers

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8...riminals.html# (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/8339772/Child-brain-scans-to-pick-out-future-criminals.html#)

"Child brain scans to pick out future criminals
Published on 03-01-2011

Source: Telegraph

More researchers believe that violent tendencies have a biological basis and that tests and brain imaging can pick them up in children.

They argue that, by predicting which children have the potential to be trouble, treatments could be introduced to keep them on the straight and narrow. If the tests are accurate enough then a form of screening could be introduced in the same way we test for some diseases.

The theories were put forward by two leading criminologists at the American Association for the Advancement of Science in Washington.

Prof Adrian Raine, a British criminologist, argued that abnormal physical brain make-up could be a cause of criminality, as well as helping to predict it.

His studies have shown that psychopaths and criminals have smaller areas of the brain such as the amygdala and prefrontal cortex, both of which regulate and control emotion and behaviour. He also believes that a lack of conditioning to fear punishment, which can be measured in toddlers before disruptive behaviour is apparent, could also be a strong indicator.

Dr Nathalie Fontaine, who also spoke at the conference, argued that children as young as four exhibited “callous unemotional traits” such as lack of guilt and empathy that could also suggest future bad behaviour. Linking these features with “conduct problems” such as throwing tantrums could be a strong way to predict who could be anti-social in later life.

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px">

</object><object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yH97lImrr0Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yH97lImrr0Q?version=3&feature=player_detailpage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

Abbey Marie
05-29-2012, 08:33 PM
I'll leave you to it. Not my thing, I don't want to understand serial killers. Hell I figure if I could really understand the mind of my ex, I'd be as crazy as he.

I feel the same. We don't even watch movies about serial killers.