PDA

View Full Version : Wind Song's Religion Thread

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 08:34 AM
"While preserving faith toward one’s own tradition, one can respect, admire and appreciate other traditions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/opinion/25gyatso.html?ref=buddhism (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/opinion/25gyatso.html?ref=buddhism)

Is common ground possible among the world's religions or are we doomed to compete?

Does the Dalai Lama's words, "many faiths, one truth" make sense to you or not?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 08:40 AM
“Whether one is rich or poor, educated or illiterate, religious or nonbelieving, man or woman, black, white, or brown, we are all the same. Physically, emotionally, and mentally, we are all equal. We all share basic needs for food, shelter, safety, and love. We all aspire to happiness and we all shun suffering. Each of us has hopes, worries, fears, and dreams. Each of us wants the best for our family and loved ones. We all experience pain when we suffer loss and joy when we achieve what we seek. On this fundamental level, religion, ethnicity, culture, and language make no difference.”

― Dalai Lama XIV (http://www.debatepolicy.com/author/show/570218.Dalai_Lama_XIV), Toward A True Kinship Of Faiths: How The World's Religions Can Come Together (http://www.debatepolicy.com/work/quotes/6962261)

revelarts
05-26-2012, 08:56 AM
"While preserving faith toward one’s own tradition, one can respect, admire and appreciate other traditions."

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/opinion/25gyatso.html?ref=buddhism (http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/25/opinion/25gyatso.html?ref=buddhism)

Is common ground possible among the world's religions or are we doomed to compete?
is competition bad?
do faiths really compete if they are "one truth"?

Yes,
but not in the way i think, you or he want it understood.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 08:58 AM
Yes,
but not in the way i think, you or he want it understood.

Don't let me stop you from fully expressing yourself, all views are welcome. It's completely natural that you value your own religion above all others. His Holiness is merely promoting a common ground among persons of faith.

The question is, are we really willing to find common ground with others, or is competing more important? Is finding common ground somehow threatening to your religion?

I can find common ground with Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Jains, LDS, Jehovah Witness etc.

It's possible to find "good heart" and connection to others regardless of differing religious views.

Can we talk about our religions, without putting the other religion down?

revelarts
05-26-2012, 09:56 AM
WIndSong I no this is going to end badly but I'll give it a shot if your open.

to start i think you comment above Implies that ALL of it is of a piece. a whole cloth. And a bit vague. But , i think, objectivly really it's several strands that should be taken in their own turn

The question is, are we really willing to find common ground with others, or is competing more important? Is finding common ground somehow threatening to your religion?
"willing" to find Common ground? Sure. Threatening, not at all.
Now specifics. Muslims and I believe in one God, -common ground-. Muslims believe in practically the same set of sins. heck Muslims believe in SIN.-Common ground-. I could go on.
Jews, Where do I start -Extreme common ground-. Hindus, Yes Some believe deeds have spiritual consequences - common ground- some believe in the need of blood sacrifice -common ground- (surprise surprise). Many believe in a or many spiritual realms, literally. -common ground-. LDS and Jehovah Wittneses are "variations" of Christianity, plenty of common ground We accept the same text as the word of God, for the most part. Jains, whats that?. But I've got common ground with a south American which doctor who believes in spiritual entities that have influence in the "real world". but then I have common ground with the with atheist who think that the world is ordered and can be studied.
Republicans should have common ground with democrats and vis vera.
Heck we are all human beings we are all related and have common ground somewhere. And I do believe we should all attempt to reach out to each other as humans despite our difference and treat each other with HONEST respect and dignity. Jesus says we should.

I can find common ground with Christians, Muslims, Jews, Hindus, Jains, LDS, Jehovah Witness etc.

It's possible to find "good heart" and connection to others regardless of differing religious views.
Not sure what you mean by a ""Good heart" Connection". Be friends with people you mean. Love people. uh yeah. Even if they believe things you or i do not. Uh Yeah sometimes that's called Family. But sure WindSong.

Can we talk about our religions, without putting the other religion down?
That's the rub isn't it?
What is talking talking about other religions "without putting them down" Windsong?

Can you do that?
I Know I try. but sometime being honest is considered, "trying to put them down".
If i say the sky is blue and NOT green am i putting the sky down?
If i say that Mohammed said it was OK for old men to marry girls as young 9 or 10. Am i putting Islam down?
or just stating a fact?
If I say that many Morman have very high moral standards.
And they Believe they they can become gods over a new universe if they work it right. Am I putting them down?
If I say that some Hindus have a million gods and the cast system is bad.
Am i putting them down?

Can we talk to Hindus Jews etc without EVER bringing any of the details of their faith up. Sure we could.
Is that Honest? no it is not.

In Christianity there's a teaching called
speaking the truth in love.

it's is one of the most difficult teachings to put into practice. most people lean toward one or the other. and few would agree on the balance. And it's been misunderstood on the receiving end to be sure.

But That's sincerely where I want to come form WS.
Speaking the truth in love.

I'd like to hope that you could consider that common ground.

gabosaurus
05-26-2012, 10:51 AM

The 14th Dalai Lama??

http://www.clubrapid.com/upload_directory/fun/2/102.jpg

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:01 PM
I can find common ground with other people of faith whose faith differs from my own. We can have a heart to heart connection. We don't have to get stuck on our differences. We are all human beings, we all want to be happy and free of suffering.

I'm talking about being able to connect with others who are different from us without making them wrong and ourselves right.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 12:11 PM
I can find common ground with other people of faith whose faith differs from my own. We can have a heart to heart connection. We don't have to get stuck on our differences. We are all human beings, we all want to be happy and free of suffering.

I'm talking about being able to connect with others who are different from us without making them wrong and ourselves right.

How come you can't find that here ?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:13 PM
I have found that here.

I like talking about religion without making it a contest.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 12:18 PM
Why do you think religions exist ?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:21 PM
When you ask a question, dillo, it would be good for you to offer your own view on the question yourself.

Why do religions exist is a big question. Some would say religion exists to help explain the world. Some would say religion exists as a form of control over the populace. Some would say religion exists because we're all sinners and we need to be saved. Some would say religion exists because we have consciousness, the ability to reflect on our impermanence.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 12:26 PM
When you ask a question, dillo, it would be good for you to offer your own view on the question yourself.

Why do religions exist is a big question. Some would say religion exists to help explain the world. Some would say religion exists as a form of control over the populace. Some would say religion exists because we're all sinners and we need to be saved. Some would say religion exists because we have consciousness, the ability to reflect on our impermanence.

I try not to be judgemental. I just ask questions. If you have a problem with them don't answer.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:27 PM
Give a little of yourself, dillo. Let us know what you feel. Otherwise it's not a conversation, it's an interrogation.

It would be easy to argue with HH's statement of "one truth". But it speaks to his conviction that the purpose of religion is goodness, finding goodness within. His way of finding common ground is to see each and every human being as just like him in wanting to be happy and wanting to avoid suffering.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Give a little of yourself, dillo. Let us know what you feel. Otherwise it's not a conversation, it's an interrogation.

It would be easy to argue with HH's statement of "one truth". But it speaks to his conviction that the purpose of religion is goodness, finding goodness within. His way of finding common ground is to see each and every human being as just like him in wanting to be happy and wanting to avoid suffering.

Life is suffering--there's no way to avoid it.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 12:37 PM
Life is suffering--there's no way to avoid it.

That is a tenet of Buddhism. It's the first of the Four Noble Truths. The truth of suffering. Yes, there is suffering inherent in cyclic existence. Are you saying this phrase because YOU believe it?

Don't hide your own beliefs dillo. Take a stand.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 12:55 PM
That is a tenet of Buddhism. It's the first of the Four Noble Truths. The truth of suffering. Yes, there is suffering inherent in cyclic existence. Are you saying this phrase because YOU believe it?

Don't hide your own beliefs dillo. Take a stand.

Of course I'm saying it because I believe it. Can you set aside the frickin paranoia for one itty bitty second ?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 01:00 PM
Of course I'm saying it because I believe it. Can you set aside the frickin paranoia for one itty bitty second ?

Can you listen to my questions without overreacting and saying I ask for clarification out of a paranoia motive?

You frequently give a short phrase or a few word answer that is not always clear.

I'm glad we can agree that suffering is inherent in being alive. What we do, as humans, that animals don't do, is suffer over our suffering.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Life is suffering-------that's pretty damn straight foreward and clear. If I didn't mean it I wouldn't say it.
I don't know what goes on in the mind of an animal.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 01:09 PM
Life is suffering-------that's pretty damn straight foreward and clear. If I didn't mean it I wouldn't say it.
I don't know what goes on in the mind of an animal.

In that case, do you think that the purpose of religion is to have less suffering and more happiness? In your opinion, what is the cause of happiness?

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 01:11 PM
In that case, do you think that the purpose of religion is to have less suffering and more happiness?

Depends on the religion. I can't speak for all beliefs.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 01:24 PM
Depends on the religion. I can't speak for all beliefs.

Then speak for your own.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Then speak for your own.

I don't belong to one.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't belong to one.

You don't have to belong to an established religion to have a spiritual life. Speak from your own experience. I've gotten the impression, which may be wrong, that you accept some beliefs that are Judeo-Christian.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 01:37 PM
I question the entire purpose of religion but don't chastise people for playing around with them.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 01:38 PM
I question the entire purpose of religion but don't chastise people for playing around with them.

You're a pretty staunch defender of Christianity.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 01:39 PM
You're a pretty staunch defender of Christianity.

It only appears that way because so many choose to assault it.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 01:40 PM

except "fundies" and death cults?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 01:50 PM
It only appears that way because so many choose to assault it.

I don't see you defending any other religion than Christianity, even though many other religions are criticised, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist to name just a few. You defend Christianity as if you were a Crusader. JMO.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 01:51 PM
except "fundies" and death cults?

How about we move forward? Let's not go there with old gripes. Let's find common ground, not rehash old arguments, please.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I don't see you defending any other religion than Christianity, even though many other religions are criticised, Hindu, Muslim, Buddhist to name just a few. You defend Christianity as if you were a Crusader. JMO.

I just know more about it.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 04:48 PM
I just know more about it.

Fair enough. I know quite a bit about Catholicism, and Buddhism. Less so, with other religions, including Islam.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 05:40 PM
And here is her face...see link.

When I went to my first meditation retreat I dreamed about this woman, she told me her name was Anandamayi Ma, mother of great bliss.
I didn't know she was real for nearly ten years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvW8iRtYnQ&feature=related

jimnyc
05-26-2012, 06:29 PM
I respect the fact that you believe that this woman is God. Outside of that it's a load of crap.

Anton Chigurh
05-26-2012, 06:33 PM
You are just a non stop puke dispenser, ain'tcha? 80 freaking posts today alone?

You can't dazzle with brilliance so you try to baffle with bullshit, just flooding the boards with total nonsense. It's just spam.

Count me as someone you drove off. I'm outta here.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 06:48 PM
I respect the fact that you believe that this woman is God. Outside of that it's a load of crap.

This woman is a Hindu saint.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 07:03 PM
And here is her face...see link.

When I went to my first meditation retreat I dreamed about this woman, she told me her name was Anandamayi Ma, mother of great bliss.
I didn't know she was real for nearly ten years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVvW8iRtYnQ&feature=related

:lol:

revelarts
05-26-2012, 07:07 PM
Could you help me out with this WS.
a "heart connection". What is that? Sorry i'm a man, it sounds like when a woman says "relationship" it seems to mean more than i'm grasping. -maybe not.
But Friends, i can understand, close friends, good neighbors, cordial warm relations I get that.
But a "heart connection" sorry I'm not sure what that means.
Ever see the Princess bride?
"you keep using that word. but i don't think it means what you think it means"

And what does it mean to you in the context of religious folks interactions?
Are you talking about somehow corporately? or just one on one?
Seems of necessity it'd have to be one on one. for a "heart connection".
Or could it work for 1 speaker to a group?

How about we move forward? Let's not go there with old gripes. Let's find common ground, not rehash old arguments, please.

ah,

Ok, so what would you consider common ground in Christianity and Buddhism?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Frankly, I don't think "God" is male or female.

Dilloduck
05-26-2012, 07:15 PM
Frankly, I don't think "God" is male or female.

Shocker--you mean you were just babbling again?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 07:20 PM
Could you help me out with this WS.
a "heart connection". What is that? Sorry i'm a man, it sounds like when a woman says "relationship" it seems to mean more than i'm grasping. -maybe not.
But Friends, i can understand, close friends, good neighbors, cordial warm relations I get that.
But a "heart connection" sorry I'm not sure what that means.
Ever see the Princess bride?
"you keep using that word. but i don't think it means what you think it means"

And what does it mean to you in the context of religious folks interactions?
Are you talking about somehow corporately? or just one on one?
Seems of necessity it'd have to be one on one. for a "heart connection".
Or could it work for 1 speaker to a group?

ah,

Ok, so what would you consider common ground in Christianity and Buddhism?

"Heart connection", what does it mean to me? It means the quality of openness one has for another human being. It's what goes beyond concept. We may say that 'good heart' is what all religions help manifest. Kindness, compassion, love, equanimity.

In the context of interfaith dialogue it would mean that we wouldn't get bogged down with our differences or bury each other in teachings from our own traditions.

It would mean we'd get to the essence. What is it we share as human beings, as citizens, as caretakers of the earth and all creatures within it. It's how we act toward each other regardless of respective language and cultural differences.

I would say it's something like bowing to the divinity within each and every sentient being.

I hope that helps.

wind

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 07:21 PM
You had to ignore the beautiful song and images in order to come up with that response dd.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 07:22 PM
This woman is a Hindu saint.
So why did you label the thread God is a Woman?
The youtube vid has a song and pictures of a woman.
Is this what you call making a "heart connection" with other faiths?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 07:26 PM
So why did you label the thread God is a Woman?
The youtube vid has a song and pictures of a woman.
Is this what you call making a "heart connection" with other faiths?

Did you view the images and hear the song? It has a universal appeal. We don't have to always consider "God" to be male. Perhaps, women are just as capable of being "God realized" or enlightened as men.

Please listen to it with an open mind.

I've sent this to most of my friends, and they aren't all Buddhists or Hindus and most people love it, regardless of their faith traditiion.

Do I read that this somehow offensive to you?

ConHog
05-26-2012, 07:30 PM
You are just a non stop puke dispenser, ain'tcha? 80 freaking posts today alone?

You can't dazzle with brilliance so you try to baffle with bullshit, just flooding the boards with total nonsense. It's just spam.

Sad yhat you choose to leave bc of WS. I on the other hand am glad to see that this board allows all views as long as they stay within a few rules.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 07:31 PM
"Heart connection", what does it mean to me? It means the quality of openness one has for another human being. It's what goes beyond concept. We may say that 'good heart' is what all religions help manifest. Kindness, compassion, love, equanimity.

In the context of interfaith dialogue it would mean that we wouldn't get bogged down with our differences or bury each other in teachings from our own traditions.

It would mean we'd get to the essence. What is it we share as human beings, as citizens, as caretakers of the earth and all creatures within it. It's how we act toward each other regardless of respective language and cultural differences.

I would say it's something like bowing to the divinity within each and every sentient being.

I hope that helps.

wind

OK so how does that work for Christians and Hindus?
If the Christian doesn't believe in bowing to the innate divinity withen every sentient being?
We just don't tlka about it. and do what Be kind toward each other. That's cool. I've said that.

How does proselyting fit? it seems youv'e been doing a bit of it here. I do it from time to time. can that be done and received in love by all parties?

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 07:39 PM
Sad yhat you choose to leave bc of WS. I on the other hand am glad to see that this board allows all views as long as they stay within a few rules.

He's lying. I certainly didn't chase him off, I just resisted his creepy "I'm a serial killer" B.S.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 07:43 PM
OK so how does that work for Christians and Hindus?
If the Christian doesn't believe in bowing to the innate divinity withen every sentient being?
We just don't tlka about it. and do what Be kind toward each other. That's cool. I've said that.

How does proselyting fit? it seems youv'e been doing a bit of it here. I do it from time to time. can that be done and received in love by all parties?

I'm not proselytizing. The fact that I dare to mention Buddhism seems to be a bit much for you.

If you cannot bow to other human beings as your equal because of their faith choice then being kind to them and tolerating them is enough.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Did you view the images and hear the song? It has a universal appeal. We don't have to always consider "God" to be male. Perhaps, women are just as capable of being "God realized" or enlightened as men.

Please listen to it with an open mind.

I've sent this to most of my friends, and they aren't all Buddhists or Hindus and most people love it, regardless of their faith tradition.

Do I read that this somehow offensive to you?

No i don't find it offensive. I think it's factually wrong. Do you find that offensive?

In the other thread you said lets not get bogged down in the details of the religion. But you start a thread with a doctrinal detail that you know is not universally accepted and you ask us to be "open to it". Your bogging down the connections here.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 07:53 PM
No i don't find it offensive. I think it's factually wrong. Do you find that offensive?

In the other thread you said lets not get bogged down in the details of the religion. But you start a thread with a doctrinal detail that you know is not universally accepted and you ask us to be "open to it". Your bogging down the connections here.

Factually wrong? You could listen to that song, which included a Christian song in too and not be able to appreciate it? I'm so sorry.

That's very sad. Factually, Anandamayi Ma existed in history. Recent history. She died in 1982, the year I went to my first meditation retreat.

I didn't post her image and songs to push any doctrine, just to share what I think is exquisitely beautiful.

"Lord make me an instrument of your peace." That comes from your own tradition.

cadet
05-26-2012, 08:50 PM
I think he's a guy.

"i like to see my jesus in a tuxedo t-shirt, one that say's, i want to be formal, but i'm here to party."

-Ricky Bobby

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 09:07 PM
Anandamayi Ma is a Bengali Hindu saint.

Because women's work is never done and is underpaid or unpaid or boring or repetitious and we're the first to get fired and what we look like is more important than what we do and if we get raped it's our fault and if we get beaten we must have provoked it and if we raise our voices we're nagging bitches and if we enjoy sex we're nymphos and if we don't we're frigid and if we love women it's because we can't get a "real" man and if we ask our doctor too many questions we're neurotic and/or pushy and if we expect childcare we're selfish and if we stand up for our rights we're aggressive and "unfeminine" and if we don't we're typical weak females and if we want to get married we're out to trap a man and if we don't we're unnatural and because we still can't get an adequate safe contraceptive but men can walk on the moon and if we can't cope or don't want a pregnancy we're made to feel guilty about abortion and...for lots of other reasons we are part of the women's liberation movement."

~Author unknown

Number One: God is gay, and she therefore, loves gay people. For this reason, everyone shall wear rainbow colors on the Sabbath. It is declared that on Sunday of every week, all the Righteous will be adorned in every color of the rainbow, and if any color of the rainbow is missing from thou garments, thou shall burn in hell for all of eternity. (Please be sure to keep this information and pass it on to your children!)

God is black. She loves people of all races, but she has a special affinity for Oprah, who is second in command (following me, of course) to God’s Voice on Earth.

God is disabled. She could heal herself, if she wanted to, but she chooses to align herself with the disenfranchised people of the world, so she suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis. She doesn’t take any medication for it, however, because God is against Big Pharma. Humans are created in Her image, and most humans do not have perfect health.

http://www.godisagaywoman.com/

"The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision."

-Lynn Lavner

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 09:10 PM
What is a common ground place between Christians and Buddhists? Kindness toward others. Taking the plank out of one's own eye rather than judging others.

darin
05-26-2012, 09:37 PM
God is WAY too badass to be most-anything WS claims.

Here's visual proof

http://www.cavemancircus.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2011/july/god_badass_2.jpg

Evidence God is male

http://wickedchopspoker.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/06/bia_and_branca.jpg

But more evidence:

Male-female...how we work. The woman lets the man inside her. This symbolism shouldn't be overlooked. She submits herself to her body's 'master' as they unite. She opens HER heart and body for the man to do-good-work to create life within her. Because God is the author of all life; makes sense his male-ness is probably the one aspect we'd most-recognize.

Men: Head of the union/marriage. A man knows his place.
Women: prized and valued. A woman knows her place.

When both have a grasp on how to operate, marriages thrive.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 09:41 PM
I don't believe in God, but if I did, God would have to be female. Just look the Universe itself, womblike, mostly empty space.

Every atom is mostly space. Space is the feminine principle of divinity.

Now, I think I'll have a glass of wine and wax philosophically with y'all.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 10:00 PM
Anandamayi Ma is a Bengali Hindu saint.

Because women's work is never done and is underpaid or unpaid or boring or repetitious and we're the first to get fired and what we look like is more important than what we do and if we get raped it's our fault and if we get beaten we must have provoked it and if we raise our voices we're nagging bitches and if we enjoy sex we're nymphos and if we don't we're frigid and if we love women it's because we can't get a "real" man and if we ask our doctor too many questions we're neurotic and/or pushy and if we expect childcare we're selfish and if we stand up for our rights we're aggressive and "unfeminine" and if we don't we're typical weak females and if we want to get married we're out to trap a man and if we don't we're unnatural and because we still can't get an adequate safe contraceptive but men can walk on the moon and if we can't cope or don't want a pregnancy we're made to feel guilty about abortion and...for lots of other reasons we are part of the women's liberation movement."

~Author unknown

Number One: God is gay, and she therefore, loves gay people. For this reason, everyone shall wear rainbow colors on the Sabbath. It is declared that on Sunday of every week, all the Righteous will be adorned in every color of the rainbow, and if any color of the rainbow is missing from thou garments, thou shall burn in hell for all of eternity. (Please be sure to keep this information and pass it on to your children!)

God is black. She loves people of all races, but she has a special affinity for Oprah, who is second in command (following me, of course) to God’s Voice on Earth.

God is disabled. She could heal herself, if she wanted to, but she chooses to align herself with the disenfranchised people of the world, so she suffers from Rheumatoid Arthritis. She doesn’t take any medication for it, however, because God is against Big Pharma. Humans are created in Her image, and most humans do not have perfect health.

http://www.godisagaywoman.com/

"The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362 admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision."

-Lynn Lavner

I don't believe in God, but if I did, God would have to be female. Just look the Universe itself, womblike, mostly empty space.

Every atom is mostly space. Space is the feminine principle of divinity.

Now, I think I'll have a glass of wine and wax philosophically with y'all.

so all this is not bogging us down in doctrinal religious differences?
ws your just promoting your religious POV as superior to others here.
no amount of evasive blather changes this.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 10:05 PM
so all this is not bogging us down in doctrinal religious differences?
ws your just promoting your religious POV as superior to others here.
no amount of evasive blather changes this.

This is a joke. I mean no offense. I really didn't intend to start this thread to offend anyone. Do you believe that God has a gender in the way we understand gender?

I don't. I think if God exists, then he/she is formless.

Toro
05-26-2012, 10:12 PM

Bye!

Driven off by the Mean Lesbian

Score another one for The Gay Agenda!

The plan is working ...

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Bye!

Driven off by the Mean Lesbian

Score another one more for The Gay Agenda!

The plan is working ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMcCFLoZyZE

Toro
05-26-2012, 10:19 PM
I guess Anton wasn't that badass after all.

He was scarier in the movie.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 10:22 PM
AC was gamey. He lost.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 10:35 PM
I'm sincerely sorry for any misunderstanding that we may have had, and any disrespect I may have shown towards you. My only hope is that we can move on, together as friends.

Please find it in your heart to forgive me.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 10:36 PM
This is a joke. I mean no offense. I really didn't intend to start this thread to offend anyone. Do you believe that God has a gender in the way we understand gender?

I don't. I think if God exists, then he/she is formless.

so the whole thread is a joke.
OH, that 1st vid was kinda funny now that you mention it. maybe that chick Anandamayi Ma was a mongoloid crack whore.
just kidding. not trying to be offensive. just a joke.
making heart connections here.

Wind Song
05-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Anandamayi Ma was a beautiful being. I dreamed of her the year she died. If you think of her as a crack whore, then you get the blessings a crack whore can bestow.

If you recognize her as a saint, then you get the blessings of a saint. If you recognize her as the Divine Mother then you get the blessings of the Divine Mother.

SassyLady
05-26-2012, 11:01 PM
God is genderless.

revelarts
05-26-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm sincerely sorry for any misunderstanding that we may have had, and any disrespect I may have shown towards you. My only hope is that we can move on, together as friends.

Please find it in your heart to forgive me.

Sure Windsong, I forgive you. And I apologize for the blunt insult of Anandamayi Ma. But i have to say I'm not sure you see your fault here. It's not any disrespect towards me. Understand that your own continued attacks of traditional Christianity and incessant proselyting for your own beliefs is NOT ANYWHERE NEAR the type of approach you've SAY you want OTHERS to have. THAT is your real offense. I have No problem with an honest Debate, Or people thinking various thoughts about God etc.. I mean the SITE is called DEBATE policy. But your not an honest player. And I'm really not sure you see it.

peace

darin
05-27-2012, 06:04 AM
Sure Windsong, I forgive you. And I apologize for the blunt insult of Anandamayi Ma. But i have to say I'm not sure you see your fault here. It's not any disrespect towards me. Understand that your own continued attacks of traditional Christianity and incessant proselyting for your own beliefs is NOT ANYWHERE NEAR the type of approach you've SAY you want OTHERS to have. THAT is your real offense. I have No problem with an honest Debate, Or people thinking various thoughts about God etc.. I mean the SITE is called DEBATE policy. But you are not an honest player. And I'm really not sure you see it.

peace

That's just about a perfect reply for 90% of WS's posts. Gonna keep using it.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 08:45 AM
http://wickedchopspoker.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/08/06/bia_and_branca.jpg

That's all the proof that anyone needs that God is a man. That's exactly what I would create day after day.... Wait a minute, am I God? :poke: I can stare at, at, at, at her beautiful smile all day long!

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 09:24 AM
Is God a man? Is God a woman?

I say neither. But if you want an example of a saint who was God realized see the OP on Anandamayi Ma. She was pure love.

cadet
05-27-2012, 09:28 AM
Is God a man? Is God a woman?

I say neither. But if you want an example of a saint who was God realized see the OP on Anandamayi Ma. She was pure love.

From what I've read in the bible, I've come to this conclusion.
My own personal beliefs,
God is both, and neither. By the fact that we were made in His image, i believe that means mentally. He wishes to be pursued like a woman, loved, cared for, worshiped etc. But like a man, He wishes to do great things, go out and Do stuff, fight the devil, teach people, etc.
God is God, almighty, all-powerful, and all-knowing.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 09:29 AM
Women who ordain as priests consider these Bible passages as evidence that God is female.

Luke 15:8-10 God as woman looking for her lost coin
Jesus: “Or what woman having ten silver coins, is she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

http://www.womensordination.org/content/view/234/

In Genesis chapter 1 we are told that man (mankind; as opposed to "a man") is created in the image of God, both male and female...

And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. (Genesis 1:27)

Therefore, we should not be surprised if God has both a "maleness" and "femaleness" to Him, so both men and women can relate to God. God could be considered as motherly (hen) and yet be called the Heavenly Father (which is what Scripture often calls Him). God is both caring and nurturing, yet powerful and strong.
http://www.everystudent.com/forum/woman.html

In Buddhism, we have two aspects of enlightenment, wisdom and skillful means. Wisdom is considered feminine, and skillful means, masculine.

cadet
05-27-2012, 09:39 AM
Women who ordain as priests consider these Bible passages as evidence that God is female.

Luke 15:8-10 God as woman looking for her lost coin
Jesus: “Or what woman having ten silver coins, is she loses one of them, does not light a lamp, sweep the house, and search carefully until she finds it? When she has found it, she calls together her friends and neighbors saying, ‘Rejoice with me, for I have found the coin that I had lost.’ Just so, I tell you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner who repents.”

http://www.womensordination.org/content/view/234/

So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. genisus 1:27

Not that any man has seen the Father, except the One who is from God; He has seen the Father. john 6:46

Windsong, i could do this all day, don't try to take ONE quote of the bible, which is a comparison, and try to tell me that it make up everything, to truly understand the bible, you need to read the entire chapter that the quote was put in.

In Genesis chapter 1 we are told that man (mankind; as opposed to "a man") is created in the image of God, both male and female...

And God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. (Genesis 1:27)
Therefore, we should not be surprised if God has both a "maleness" and "femaleness" to Him, so both men and women can relate to God. God could be considered as motherly (hen) and yet be called the Heavenly Father (which is what Scripture often calls Him). God is both caring and nurturing, yet powerful and strong.
http://www.everystudent.com/forum/woman.html

In Buddhism, we have two aspects of enlightenment, wisdom and skillful means. Wisdom is considered feminine, and skillful means, masculine.

In the bible, God is referred to as the Father, Him, He, etc.
besides, your forgetting the Holy Trinity, God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

And two of those we know to be men.

darin
05-27-2012, 09:40 AM
Wind Song - I'll keep everyone out of this thread; a thread created for your prosthelytizing. No need now, to start 10 threads a day covering +/- the same topic.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 09:41 AM
In the bible, God is referred to as the Father, Him, He, etc.
besides, your forgetting the Holy Trinity, God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit.

And two of those we know to be men.

I think the Holy Spirit was once God the mother.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 09:42 AM
I'm not proselytizing. I like discussing faith with other people of faith, including those of different faith from me. I'm not trying to convert anyone to any religion.

Everyone please note that I did not start this thread and I have no interest in posting in it to proselytize.

cadet
05-27-2012, 09:47 AM
I think the Holy Spirit was once God the mother.

Mark 4
Again he began to teach beside the sea. And a very large crowd gathered about him, so that he got into a boat and sat in it on the sea, and the whole crowd was beside the sea on the land. 2 And he was teaching them many things in parables, and in his teaching he said to them: 3 “Listen! Behold, a sower went out to sow. 4 And as he sowed, some seed fell along the path, and the birds came and devoured it. 5 Other seed fell on rocky ground, where it did not have much soil, and immediately it sprang up, since it had no depth of soil. 6 And when the sun rose, it was scorched, and since it had no root, it withered away. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, and the thorns grew up and choked it, and it yielded no grain. 8 And other seeds fell into good soil and produced grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirtyfold and sixtyfold and a hundredfold.” 9 And he said, “He who has ears to hear, let him hear.”
And when he was alone, those around him with the twelve asked him about the parables. 11 And he said to them, “To you has been given the secret of the kingdom of God, but for those outside everything is in parables,

And this, dear windsong, is what the bible says. most things in there are parables, only through study can you begin to understand the true meaning of a quote. You can't take ONE QUOTE, and assume that it means everything.

Mathew 5:30
And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to lose one part of your body than for your whole body to go into hell.

^that quote means to cut off the thing that causes you to sin, like if watching R rated movies is causing you to lust, stop it.

Don't you dare take a quote from the bible and tell me what it means, when you have no study whatsoever in it.

darin
05-27-2012, 09:49 AM
This is where you'll find your threads created, in my view, are simply to bash, or preach your faith ad nauseam. :) Nice of me, right?

cadet
05-27-2012, 09:49 AM
I have noticed that your turning this less and less into a political site, and more for your own personal religion.
And Hell if i'm going to stand by and watch you insult mine.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 09:52 AM
I have a close friend who has wanted to be a Catholic priest her whole life. The two of us, many years ago, started a group for women who had been raised Catholic and who were no longer attending church.

The whiole point was to either reconcile to Catholicism or move on to another spiritual path. My friend stayed with the Catholic Church and I became a Buddhist.

It pains me that to this day, a woman who would be an excellent priest has been told by the Pope that a woman wanting the priesthood is more of a threat to the RCC than pedophile priests.

I raised the question of gender with God to illustrate my point that God is in everyone, regardless of gender, and God is neither male nor female.

darin
05-27-2012, 09:55 AM
I have a close friend who has wanted to be a Catholic priest her whole life. The two of us, many years ago, started a group for women who had been raised Catholic and who were no longer attending church.

The whiole point was to either reconcile to Catholicism or move on to another spiritual path. My friend stayed with the Catholic Church and I became a Buddhist.

It pains me that to this day, a woman who would be an excellent priest has been told by the Pope that a woman wanting the priesthood is more of a threat to the RCC than pedophile priests.

I raised the question of gender with God to illustrate my point that God is in everyone, regardless of gender, and God is neither male nor female.

What business is it of YOURS how Catholics decide to run their religion? Keep the hell OUT of their business if you don't agree.

Geezus.

Cadet - bro....Look...you are wasting your TIME with WS. WS is a guy incapable of reasonable, rational discussion or debate. Stop feeding the troll, and the troll will go away.

darin
05-27-2012, 09:57 AM
I have noticed that your turning this less and less into a political site, and more for your own personal religion.
And Hell if i'm going to stand by and watch you insult mine.

Cadet - leave this thread be, okay.

And dude, Listen...

Do NOT get arrogant in your Faith. Much like Peter tried to defend Christ when they took him from the Garden, your zeal, and dedication is noteworthy...but - like Pharaoh - whose heart was hardened....WS doesn't give two shits about your God nor your point of view.

Now she/he has their OWN THREAD for their tripe. :)

cadet
05-27-2012, 09:59 AM

For your little story here, in the bible, there are set guidelines to living a happy life for both men and women. Now, this is going to sound sexist, but men TEND to be better leaders.
Parts we've been studying in this say that men are supposed to be the guy in the relationship. stand up for, do everything, and to be there when she falls. whereas women's duty is to love and care for the man. basically, men get the short end of the stick.

Now, i will admit, the bible was written when women were third class citizens, so of course they wouldn't want a woman in charge, who would look up to her way back when?
Nowadays, it would be quite a bit easier.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 09:59 AM
The women who participated in the support group had all been raised Catholic, and they were not practicing Catholics, having fallen away due to some of the positions the Catholic Church has taken.

I was raised a Catholic. I have some vested interest in what happens with Catholics, because my family is Catholic. When the Pope says something that damaging about women, that it is worse for them to aspire to the priesthood than it is to be a male pedophile priest, I will take notice of that. Especially when it is so painful to some of my friends.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:00 AM
This is your thread,dmp.

BTW, check your PMs.

darin
05-27-2012, 10:02 AM
There ya go, WS - I put a couple of your threads into one tidy place; to keep from cluttering up the board.

I won't respond to any of your non-technical requests, PM or otherwise; you show inclination to use ANY PM I send you - even one in reply - as tantamount to 'harassment'.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:05 AM
I get the message sweetie. Rather than allow me to create ANY threads you intend to isolate all my threads and posts into the thread YOU create and then you ask other members to stay off the thread.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not allowed to start any threads and that you and the staff will no longer respond to any PM.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:11 AM
I get the message sweetie. Rather than allow me to create ANY threads you intend to isolate all my threads and posts into the thread YOU create and then you ask other members to stay off the thread.

Thanks for letting me know that I'm not allowed to start any threads and that you and the staff will no longer respond to any PM.

This is the last time I address your crap....

You're allowed to create new threads - but you continue to start new threads that are nothing more than the same thing you have started previously, which makes people think you are "spamming" the board. And he NEVER said staff wouldn't reply to your PM's, only your garbage PM's. If it's a board related issue that needs attention, staff will always look at and resolve/respond - but they don't need to answer to "personal" PM's. Stop with your non-stop drama and just move on, please.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:15 AM

You're allowed to create new threads - but you continue to start new threads that are nothing more than the same thing you have started previously, which makes people think you are "spamming" the board. And he NEVER said staff wouldn't reply to your PM's, only your garbage PM's. If it's a board related issue that needs attention, staff will always look at and resolve/respond - but they don't need to answer to "personal" PM's. Stop with your non-stop drama and just move on, please.

Are you really saying that you can't tell the difference between a thread about who owns the news, to a thread about God is a Woman or President Obama is a punching bag? It's all spam to you? Every thread I start is spam?

You guys are allowed to say Obama is a douchebag, but I can't post on my own thread about him being the RW punching bag.

You insist on hashing this out on thread, fine. I know I'm not allowed to PM you unless I have some "technical" difficulty.

Consider the overall message you've given me.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Are you really saying that you can't tell the difference between a thread about who owns the news, to a thread about God is a Woman? It's all spam to you? Every thread I start is spam?

I didn't say "every" thread. Just read what I wrote and move forward, I'm not debating this with you.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:21 AM
I get the message. I won't discuss religion anymore.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:24 AM
I get the message. I won't discuss religion anymore.

You obviously DON'T get the message then. I suppose I'm just as much at fault though, for replying to you, as I seriously think you will never grasp what people tell you. Funny though, how others can post the same, or similarly, and don't have issues. Other liberals can even discuss MORE controversial topics and not have headaches like you, because they don't post in the manner you do.

Kathianne
05-27-2012, 10:31 AM

Thanks to Darin and yourself! That was my point, which garnered a few thanks back when:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?35150-Site-Should-Be-Renamed&highlight=rename

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks to Darin and yourself! That was my point, which garnered a few thanks back when:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?35150-Site-Should-Be-Renamed&highlight=rename

Remember "Big D" the racist from back in the days of USMB? Different topics, different mindset, but same result of 'renaming' the board.

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:35 AM
You obviously DON'T get the message then. I suppose I'm just as much at fault though, for replying to you, as I seriously think you will never grasp what people tell you. Funny though, how others can post the same, or similarly, and don't have issues. Other liberals can even discuss MORE controversial topics and not have headaches like you, because they don't post in the manner you do.

What other liberals are here? Gabby? She hardly ever posts.

If I posted as infrequently as she does, you'd probably like me better.

Kathianne
05-27-2012, 10:36 AM
Remember "Big D" the racist from back in the days of USMB? Different topics, different mindset, but same result of 'renaming' the board.

Yep, I remember being on the receiving end of that too! ;)

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:37 AM
What other liberals are here? Gabby? She hardly ever posts.

If I posted as infrequently as she does, you'd probably like me better.

That's what is funny, you wouldn't know, unless one bit you, or joined your victim pity party. And MANY have liberal POV's on certain subjects while they may be moderates. You're so worried about labeling who is and who isn't a liberal, rather than just friendly discussion. You see everyone as an enemy, therefore you MAKE them your enemies.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:38 AM
Yep, I remember being on the receiving end of that too! ;)

Hell, I agreed with half of the stuff he posted, the facts anyway. But it was an example of how someone, with even the facts on their side, can deliver a message in a manner that is putting others off.

Kathianne
05-27-2012, 10:39 AM
Hell, I agreed with half of the stuff he posted, the facts anyway. But it was an example of how someone, with even the facts on their side, can deliver a message in a manner that is putting others off.

He was a sexist and a bigot, also foul mouthed and seemingly prone to violence. Nah Jim, you may have agreed with some of the ideas, but not where he took them.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:41 AM
He was a sexist and a bigot, also foul mouthed and seemingly prone to violence. Nah Jim, you may have agreed with some of the ideas, but not where he took them.

Yep... I certainly didn't agree with the sexist stuff... Only the facts and statistics about black crimes. But yes, he took them to a whole different level while displaying his hatred and contempt. One can discuss the facts without being a nutty racist. I believe in the facts and I'm not afraid to bring them up, but I hope anyway, that I don't come off as a nutty racist like Big D was!

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:44 AM
I think you should change the title of this thread. It's certainly not about religion. It's about character assassination.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:46 AM
I think you should change the title of this thread. It's certainly not about religion. It's about character assassination.

Title stays as is...

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:49 AM
I will not participate in this thread.

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:51 AM
I will not participate in this thread.

Adios then! Others will still see the stupidity that you have left behind!

Wind Song
05-27-2012, 10:52 AM
Adios to you on this thread. Are you planning on locking me out of every other thread on this forum today?

jimnyc
05-27-2012, 10:54 AM
Adios to you on this thread. Are you planning on locking me out of every other thread on this forum today?

You proclaiming that you won't participate, then participating, shows that you aren't locked out. But since you asked nicely...

Kathianne
05-27-2012, 10:55 AM
Yep... I certainly didn't agree with the sexist stuff... Only the facts and statistics about black crimes. But yes, he took them to a whole different level while displaying his hatred and contempt. One can discuss the facts without being a nutty racist. I believe in the facts and I'm not afraid to bring them up, but I hope anyway, that I don't come off as a nutty racist like Big D was!

Never. Which is why I corrected the impression you may have left with anyone that searched. ;)

Kathianne
05-27-2012, 10:55 AM
You proclaiming that you won't participate, then participating, shows that you aren't locked out. But since you asked nicely...

:coffee: Where's Mtn. Biker when needed?

gabosaurus
05-28-2012, 06:15 PM
The First Dolly Llama

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/425ec1b7-0e67-429e-804d-34bc8075a413.jpg