05-27-2012, 01:27 PM
http://articles.latimes.com/2009/nov/22/opinion/la-oe-barash22-2009nov22

Dilloduck
05-27-2012, 01:33 PM
http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/when-monogamy-is-a-cop-out/

DragonStryk72
05-27-2012, 01:44 PM
From first link:

In beaver families, there is a strong need for cooperation to maintain their dams and pools, that's why beaver social units are so tight. Thus, monogamy evolved in situations where young need a better cooperation of both parents in raising them. That's why humans, with their long childhood, form monogamous pairs.

Okay, so there are monogamous animals out there, and they generally seem to be among the more highly evolved species, but how is that proof that humans can't naturally be monogamous?

The problem here, is that these attempts always end up having some degree of arrogance to them, deciding that it has to be A or B, but that's not actually accurate. If you do not believe in monogamy, then that's fine. I, however, am a serial monogamous, I want a monogamous relationship. If we're not monogamous, why do men get so ripshit pissed when they think someone's moving in on "their" woman?

ConHog
05-27-2012, 01:47 PM
From first link:

Okay, so there are monogamous animals out there, and they generally seem to be among the more highly evolved species, but how is that proof that humans can't naturally be monogamous?

The problem here, is that these attempts always end up having some degree of arrogance to them, deciding that it has to be A or B, but that's not actually accurate. If you do not believe in monogamy, then that's fine. I, however, am a serial monogamous, I want a monogamous relationship. If we're not monogamous, why do men get so ripshit pissed when they think someone's moving in on "their" woman?

Most of the time, those guys are the very pigs who would cheat if given the chance. Myself, up to a point anyway I'm flattered if another guy is looking at my woman, AND I know damn well she isn't going anywhere anyway.

DragonStryk72
05-27-2012, 01:54 PM
Most of the time, those guys are the very pigs who would cheat if given the chance. Myself, up to a point anyway I'm flattered if another guy is looking at my woman, AND I know damn well she isn't going anywhere anyway.

And if he, say, got himself a handful of her ass?

Dilloduck
05-27-2012, 01:55 PM
From first link:

Because primitive man thought all women were his.

ConHog
05-27-2012, 01:57 PM
And if he, say, got himself a handful of her ass?

I said to a point.

Seriously, no one would be crazy enough to touch my wife when I'm around. I give off "the vibe" :laugh:

DragonStryk72
05-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I said to a point.

Seriously, no one would be crazy enough to touch my wife when I'm around. I give off "the vibe" :laugh:

Yeah, see? It's as simple as the basic instinct of "mine", and it doesn't have to be your wife, it can be a girlfriend, or even a friend with benefits, and if we see someone else moving in on them, we become instantly defensive, whatever form that might take. Humans are a unique organism, and trying to measure humanity by the reactions of animals in the wild just doesn't fit.

Dilloduck
05-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Yeah, see? It's as simple as the basic instinct of "mine", and it doesn't have to be your wife, it can be a girlfriend, or even a friend with benefits, and if we see someone else moving in on them, we become instantly defensive, whatever form that might take. Humans are a unique organism, and trying to measure humanity by the reactions of animals in the wild just doesn't fit.

You don't have to look at animals. Humans mate with more than one partner all the time.

ConHog
05-27-2012, 02:13 PM

Eh, I don't disagree with you at all. I was just saying that I don't go all ballistic if some guy eyeballs my wife, or something. Lewd comments or touching her, that's another story.

Dilloduck
05-27-2012, 02:17 PM
Eh, I don't disagree with you at all. I was just saying that I don't go all ballistic if some guy eyeballs my wife, or something. Lewd comments or touching her, that's another story.

and you don't eyeball other women because you are naturally monogamous, right ?

ConHog
05-27-2012, 02:19 PM

Do I notice other women? Of course I notice attractive women, but I absolutely positively don't eyeball them and I would NEVER stray.

PS half the time my points out the attractive women to me. :lol:

DragonStryk72
05-27-2012, 02:30 PM

I think you're mistaking monogamy and blindness. I hit the same problem CH does, though, is my girlfriend pointing out other women to me that I'm not paying attention to.

ConHog
05-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I think you're mistaking monogamy and blindness. I hit the same problem CH does, though, is my girlfriend pointing out other women to me that I'm not paying attention to.

no different that if I'm driving down the road and see another pretty vehicle, I don't run down to the dealership and trade in my vehicle that I'm perfectly happy with. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy looking though.

Dilloduck
05-27-2012, 04:44 PM
and you enjoy looking because you are naturally monogamous ? Cmon people---if monogamy were that natural we wouldn't have to be dealing with temptation all the time.

cadet
05-27-2012, 05:19 PM
and you enjoy looking because you are naturally monogamous ? Cmon people---if monogamy were that natural we wouldn't have to be dealing with temptation all the time.

My opinion, if we weren't monogamous, why in the world would it hurt to have someone cheat on you? and why do you thrive to have one person care for you?

And, no matter what people say, sex causes you to be attached. people in my dorm, screwing, they ask me why i don't, i tell them i don't want the commitment. People get attached, and want you all for themselves, just as you would want someone all for yourself. not to share.

Dilloduck
05-27-2012, 07:15 PM
My opinion, if we weren't monogamous, why in the world would it hurt to have someone cheat on you? and why do you thrive to have one person care for you?

And, no matter what people say, sex causes you to be attached. people in my dorm, screwing, they ask me why i don't, i tell them i don't want the commitment. People get attached, and want you all for themselves, just as you would want someone all for yourself. not to share.

It hurts when someone cheats on you because you are reminded that nothing is forever. It hurts when a loved one dies too.

cadet
05-27-2012, 09:14 PM
It hurts when someone cheats on you because you are reminded that nothing is forever. It hurts when a loved one dies too.

So let me get this strait, you'd rather your wife whored around.

You would rather have a group that you all had sex with each other. Rather then having someone to be honest with, and get to know that one person. you would rather have massive orgies, and not know who has your child.

I'm going to say this, SMARTER mammals have monogamous relationships, unless we're just a bunch of dipshit lowest on the food chain, i think we might be part of that smarter group.

Dilloduck
05-27-2012, 10:08 PM
So let me get this strait, you'd rather your wife whored around.

You would rather have a group that you all had sex with each other. Rather then having someone to be honest with, and get to know that one person. you would rather have massive orgies, and not know who has your child.

I'm going to say this, SMARTER mammals have monogamous relationships, unless we're just a bunch of dipshit lowest on the food chain, i think we might be part of that smarter group.

no--you totally misunderstood.