PDA

View Full Version : MSNBC Host: 'I'm Uncomfortable' Calling Fallen Soldiers Heroes

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 05:27 AM
Why anyone would watch MSNBC is beyond me. These libs have to be on drugs/booze

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/chris-hayes-im-uncomfortable-calling-fallen-military-heroes

SassyLady
05-28-2012, 05:29 AM

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/chris-hayes-im-uncomfortable-calling-fallen-military-heroes

They are soul less humans. I quit watching MSNBC when the thrill went down Matthews leg.

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 05:34 AM
They are soul less humans. I quit watching MSNBC when the thrill went down Matthews leg.

But the entire network is made up of hate filled liberals who no longer even try and mask their contempt for America and the US military

and as far a Chris, this is fun to watch as he does like this question being asked

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/very-annoyed-matthews-rips-horses-ass-right-wingers-who-cite-thrill-my-leg-calls-c-span-host-jackass

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 07:58 AM
I have been flipping back and forth from Fox News and MSNBC this morning

So far not a word about Memorial Day on the all liberal MSNBC

On Fox they have shown Lee Greenwood singing "Gob Bles the USA", shots of the flag, and the US Capital with "Memorial Day" at the bottom of the screen

I guess to liberal,s this is just another day they wil have to endure people being proud of America and paying honor to those who died to give ALL of us the freedoms we take for granted

Noir
05-28-2012, 08:08 AM
He probably has a point, not everyone who is in the military is a hero, that much is obvious, but in our kinda human ways we like to eulogise the dead, i guess its out of respect.

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 08:13 AM
He probably has a point, not everyone who is in the military is a hero, that much is obvious, but in our kinda human ways we like to eulogise the dead, i guess its out of respect.

The only point he has is the one on top of his head. These men and women sign up to go the worlds wost shitholes and when the give their lives in the lione of duty they are heros

They give their lioves so liberal idiots like Chris has the freedom to spit on their gaves Noir and show what an ingrate he is

Noir
05-28-2012, 08:15 AM
The only point he has is the one on top of his head. These men and women sign up to go the worlds wost shitholes and when the give their lives in the lione of duty they are heros

They give their lioves so liberal idiots like Chris has the freedom to spit on their gaves Noir and show what an ingrate he is

Does this apply only to american troops, or to other nations too?

Edit - or a better way to put it, does this apply to all people who sign up to a cause, and who give up their lives for it?

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 08:18 AM

Gee, I thought Memorial Day was to honor America's fallen

I guess it does cause liberals to choke to pay their respects to the US militry - unless they are talking about Pvt Bradley Manning

Noir
05-28-2012, 08:20 AM
Gee, I thought Memorial Day was to honor America's fallen

I guess it does cause liberals to choke to pay their respects to the US militry - unless they are talking about Pvt Bradley Manning

i'm asking you to clarify your definition of hero.

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 08:25 AM
i'm asking you to clarify your definition of hero.

Visit Arlington National and you see thousands of examples

Noir
05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Visit Arlington National and you see thousands of examples

And what if i where to visit La Cambe?

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 09:01 AM
And what if i where to visit La Cambe?

Your choice if you want to go a visit the graves of Nazi troops killed in France

Noir
05-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Your choice if you want to go a visit the graves of Nazi troops killed in France

You mean the graves those men who signed up to go the worlds worst shitholes, and when there give their lives in the line of duty, yes?

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 09:07 AM
You mean the graves those men who signed up to go the worlds worst shitholes, and when there give their lives in the line of duty, yes?

It is clear the only hero you know has a long bun stuffed with alot of cold cuts

And are you comparing members of the US military to Nazi's? Which would not surprise me since liberals have a long history of doing so

Shadow
05-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Maybe he is uncomfortable using the words 'valor' and 'hero' because he has no strength of mind,or personal bravery. Just look at the little weenie...studdering,hemming and hawing...practically sweating up a storm choking those anti military words out (on memorial day no less). His momma must be so proud. :rolleyes:

I haven't watched any of the talking heads on MSNBC for years. And I actually used to like watching Hardball...until they started acting like a bunch of fangirls over Obama on that Network.Talk about embarassing to watch.

Shadow
05-28-2012, 09:13 AM

Edit - or a better way to put it, does this apply to all people who sign up to a cause, and who give up their lives for it?

Do you have a problem with American's honoring American troops on Memorial day?

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Maybe he is uncomfortable using the words 'valor' and 'hero' because he has no strength of mind,or personal bravery. Just look at the little weenie...studdering,hemming and hawing...practically sweating up a storm choking those anti military words out (on memorial day no less). His momma must be so proud. :rolleyes:

I haven't watched any of the talking heads on MSNBC for years. And I actually used to like watching Hardball...until they started acting like a bunch of fangirls over Obama on that Network.Talk about embarassing to watch.

This "man" may be proof Rachal madow is doing the hiring at MSNBC. The male employees have are now wussies and made in the image of Michael Kinsley

http://www.nndb.com/people/024/000031928/michael_kinsley.jpg

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 09:15 AM
Do you have a problem with American's honoring American troops on Memorial day?

The answer to your question would appear to be "Yes"

Shadow
05-28-2012, 09:29 AM
This "man" may be proof Rachal madow is doing the hiring at MSNBC. The male employees have are now wussies and made in the image of Michael Kinsley

http://www.nndb.com/people/024/000031928/michael_kinsley.jpg

That network apparently has no idea how much their choices make them look like unprofessional boobs. During the Bush/Kerry elections they hired people to discuss politics as pundits...like Ronald Reagan JR (another little cocky nitwit) who was then countered by Larry Gatlin.... I love me some Larry Gatlin...but only if he is going to sing to me. :laugh:

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 09:49 AM
That network apparently has no idea how much their choices make them look like unprofessional boobs. During the Bush/Kerry elections they hired people to discuss politics as pundits...like Ronald Reagan JR (another little cocky nitwit) who was then countered by Larry Gatlin.... I love me some Larry Gatlin...but only if he is going to sing to me. :laugh:

The only thing they look for when hiring is that you are a far left loon

Phil Griffin Dismisses Idea of Reporting Credentials

Phil Griffin, president of MSNBC, has an answer for such groups as the National Association of Black Journalists, which have advocated for journalists of color as hosts and anchors on cable news shows:

"I'm sorry, I don't care about journalists. … I want fair-minded, smart people who understand the world and can interpret it," Griffin told media writer Eric Deggans of the Tampa Bay (Fla.) Times.

"If they're journalists, great. This notion that you somehow you have to have done something to earn so-called journalists' credentials? Stop."

The remark by Griffin, a onetime producer at CNN and NBC, is reminiscent of a statement in July by Jim Walton, president of CNN Worldwide, who all but said that the on-air journalists of color it employs are not ready for prime time. He deployed Mark Whitaker, the former Newsweek editor who became a CNN news executive, to talk with NABJ about finding more suitable ones, but none has surfaced.

Griffin made his remarks in a story by Deggans about MSNBC's hiring of Melissa Harris-Perry, a Tulane University professor, author and contributor to the Nation magazine, as a weekend-morning host on MSNBC. She starts Saturday.

"Her ascension also helps answer a prominent critique of MSNBC and cable TV news channels in general: that they aren't diverse enough in important, on-camera anchor jobs," Deggans wrote.

"Before civil rights activist Al Sharpton began hosting his PoliticsNation show last year, MSNBC didn't have a person of color anchoring a show anywhere near the high-profile prime time news hours. Competitors CNN and Fox News still haven't broken that color line, though all channels have anchors of color who appear in the morning or afternoon and on weekends.

". . . Last month, the National Association of Black Journalists announced its 2011 Thumbs Down award for worst practices in journalism would go to all the major cable news channels, for their inability to hire African-American journalists to appear in prime time hours (generally defined as 8 p.m. to 11 p.m.).

http://mije.org/richardprince/i-dont-care-about-journalists-msnbc-prez-says

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 10:04 AM
BTW, in honor of Memorial Day here is Sen Dick Durbin hononring the troops of the floor of the US Senate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqIlXfkylD4

Noir
05-28-2012, 10:09 AM
It is clear the only hero you know has a long bun stuffed with alot of cold cuts

And are you comparing members of the US military to Nazi's? Which would not surprise me since liberals have a long history of doing so

You detailed a statement on why those americans are heros, i pointed out that you could apply exactly the same stetament to any nations armies. If you don't like the Nazi comparison, why not try the American war of independence, were both the men of the British and American armies who fell heros? Or was it only the men from one side?

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 10:15 AM
You detailed a statement on why those americans are heros, i pointed out that you could apply exactly the same stetament to any nations armies. If you don't like the Nazi comparison, why not try the American war of independence, were both the men of the British and American armies who fell heros? Or was it only the men from one side?

and as I pointed out - I thoguth meorial Day was the day AMERICA honored its war dead

If you do not like it, then do not take part

Or simply admit you find the holiday repulsive like the liberal idiot on MSNBC

Missileman
05-28-2012, 10:20 AM

I have no problem calling EVERY person who was killed while serving in the military a hero. It's ironic that a great deal of heroes died so that piece of shit can make his uninformed, unintelligent, and cowardly statement.

Noir
05-28-2012, 10:23 AM
and as I pointed out - I thoguth meorial Day was the day AMERICA honored its war dead

If you do not like it, then do not take part

Or simply admit you find the holiday repulsive like the liberal idiot on MSNBC

...so your definition of hero applies only during War memorial day and is thus not applicable to a broader discussion? Seems a bit silly to me.

To have a quarrel with terminology is not to find something repulsive btw.

Noir
05-28-2012, 10:27 AM
I have no problem calling EVERY person who was killed while serving in the military a hero. It's ironic that a great deal of heroes died so that piece of shit can make his uninformed, unintelligent, and cowardly statement.

Id reserve the word hero for those who did heroic deeds.

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 10:28 AM

More like the "hero" you are having for lunch (and with extra cold cuts and mayo)

Noir
05-28-2012, 10:32 AM
More like the "hero" you are having for lunch (and with extra cold cuts and mayo)

Ive no idea what you mean by this, anyways you're clearly not interested in the questions i posed, shame, another time maybe.

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 10:35 AM
Ive no idea what you mean by this, anyways you're clearly not interested in the questions i posed, shame, another time maybe.

Does this make it easier for you?

http://www.wpclipart.com/food/meals/sandwich/hero_sandwich.png

jimnyc
05-28-2012, 10:35 AM

I would think going to war for your country, knowing full well you can die in the process, and you do so voluntarily - this makes you a hero. Each country reserves the right to honor their own and determine who is a hero to their country. Today is Memorial Day in America. And those of us who believe so strongly in the COTUS and our freedoms, we see these men and women as heroes.

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 10:36 AM
I would think going to war for your country, knowing full well you can die in the process, and you do so voluntarily - this makes you a hero. Each country reserves the right to honor their own and determine who is a hero to their country. Today is Memorial Day in America. And those of us who believe so strongly in the COTUS and our freedoms, we see these men and women as heroes.

:clap: :salute:

Missileman
05-28-2012, 10:42 AM

You don't find getting killed in the service of others heroic? I would think you, of all the posters on this board (maybe a couple others), would realize the extent of that particular sacrifice.

Noir
05-28-2012, 10:47 AM

The implication there is that if you dont see them all as heros then you dont believe stongly in the COTUS and freedom.

Some of us have different defintions of hero, and as soon as its brought up all sors of manors of things are said. Indeed in this thread i was asking a user to define more clearly their defintion amd how it applied in differently dependig on the context, and before long 'why do yo have a problem with memorial day' etc...

jimnyc
05-28-2012, 10:51 AM
The implication there is that if you dont see them all as heros then you dont believe stongly in the COTUS and freedom.

Some of us have different defintions of hero, and as soon as its brought up all sors of manors of things are said. Indeed in this thread i was asking a user to define more clearly their defintion amd how it applied in differently dependig on the context, and before long 'why do yo have a problem with memorial day' etc...

Nope, you're reading me wrong. I also believe someone can be a huge lover of the COTUS, freedoms - and not have a care in the world about the soldiers, past and present. I would then argue still about the men and women that they are heroes, but I wouldn't doubt your respect for the freedoms and documentation. I think you can respect the one and not consider the soldiers to be heroes. I would also think that person is very naive.

I wouldn't force anyone to consider fallen soldiers to be heroes. But I would expect, at the very least, respect on the weekend that is set aside to honor them.

Noir
05-28-2012, 11:01 AM
You don't find getting killed in the service of others heroic? I would think you, of all the posters on this board (maybe a couple others), would realize the extent of that particular sacrifice.

Not at all, there is nothing heroic in dying for your country (as it was so wonderfully sarkily put 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori')

Missileman
05-28-2012, 11:06 AM
Not at all, there is nothing heroic in dying for your country (as it was so wonderfully sarkily put 'Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori')

As an atheist, how many shots at sentient life do you think we get? I figure it's one and done. I therefore consider it the ultimate sacrifice and worthy of the hero label.

jimnyc
05-28-2012, 11:10 AM

Fair enough, but then you just have a different definition of what a hero is. And I'm not saying it makes you wrong, but it does put you into an extreme minority, at least it would here in the States. And as much as I don't think I should in any way force you to change your mind, people shouldn't be on air trying to get others to change theirs. But of course we have that right to do so here in America - because we are free to do so, and the overwhelming majority of those freedoms are from past soldiers of our military fighting for our independence and more fighters following suit to protect those freedoms.

Noir
05-28-2012, 11:15 AM
As an atheist, how many shots at sentient life do you think we get? I figure it's one and done. I therefore consider it the ultimate sacrifice and worthy of the hero label.

Firstly that logic could only appy to other atheists (ie if you sign up for something, knowing that you may die and thats it, you would consider that heroic. But if someone else, say a Morman, signed up, and believed that even if they died then they'd meet there family in heaven, is that heroic too?)

People in the army can do heroic things, and because of their situations they're probably more likey to do heroic things than any other profession, but at the very least you'd have to concur that some are more heroic than others.

jimnyc
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Firstly that logic could only appy to other atheists (ie if you sign up for something, knowing that you may die and thats it, you would consider that heroic. But if someone else, say a Morman, signed up, and believed that even if they died then they'd meet there family in heaven, is that heroic too?)

People in the army can do heroic things, and because of their situations they're probably more likey to do heroic things than any other profession, but at the very least you'd have to concur that some are more heroic than others.

I would agree with this. For example, a Medal of Honor recipient is likely more heroic than 99% of all other men and women in the military. But the military is groups, units, "brothers in arms". It's the military in general, the units who are heroes. They collectively go together to preserve our freedoms, as a team. They are all heroes, IN MY OPINION, but some more so than others.

Missileman
05-28-2012, 12:08 PM

It should be acknowledged as an ultimate sacrifice by you also, based on what you believe. And no, they haven't all died charging a machine gun nest. That doesn't make the less flashy deaths less heroic IMO. Some may be more heroic.

SassyLady
05-28-2012, 12:28 PM

Noir,

Today we are talking about US Military Members as heroes to be honored. Some other day different heroes are honored....policemen, firemen, etc.

So, you need to back off about including all heroes as part of our day of honor for our military.

I believe anyone who signs up for military duty is a hero when they put their signature on that line and take the oath, knowing that they are willing to die for their cause.

SassyLady
05-28-2012, 12:29 PM
I would agree with this. For example, a Medal of Honor recipient is likely more heroic than 99% of all other men and women in the military. But the military is groups, units, "brothers in arms". It's the military in general, the units who are heroes. They collectively go together to preserve our freedoms, as a team. They are all heroes, IN MY OPINION, but some more so than others.

:clap::clap:

Not all members of the military are put in a situation where they have an opportunity to earn a MOH...doesn't mean they aren't heroes.

4horsemenrule
05-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Noir,

Today we are talking about US Military Members as heroes to be honored. Some other day different heroes are honored....policemen, firemen, etc.

So, you need to back off about including all heroes as part of our day of honor for our military.

I believe anyone who signs up for military duty is a hero when they put their signature on that line and take the oath, knowing that they are willing to die for their cause.

Who else but heros would sign up to be shipped off the worlds worst shitholes, be paid peanuts, and be called Nazi's and baby killers by the left who hates their guts and everything they stand for - and put their lives on the line to give these liberals the freedom to spit in their face?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-29-2012, 12:07 AM

So says the guy still wasting air while bloviating above ground! ^^^^^^
Which leads me to ask, do you do magic tricks and kids's birthday parties too?--Tyr

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-29-2012, 12:16 AM

A fallen hero has no need of our great and sincere praise. For its "we as a people" that have far greater need to honor thier sacrifice by giving that praise! And give it we should. Let those that refuse to do so continue to walk down thier dark and miserable path unmolested. For arriving at thier final destination will be a just reward so richly deserved even if it be so late in arriving....--Tyr

DragonStryk72
05-29-2012, 01:33 AM
Okay, I'm about to take a massive amount of shit, here, but Noir is correct. He isn't dismissing any actual heroism on the part of the armed forces, he just sees a simple truth: Not all of us military folks are heroes, even amongst the fallen. We have our share of shitbags who get themselves, and sometimes even others killed. Admitting to this does not denegrate the fallen- Quite the reverse, because it is easier to take the shitbag route, it is safer to just keep your head down, and there are many examples of people in the military who do just that, and it only puts the real heroes in sharper contrast.

I remember running into a burning building, and trust me, there were a bunch of guys who wouldn't have, who didn't, and just stood and watched while I and several others did the work, stretching their necks to watch rather than approach and aid us. The Boatswain's Mate Chief that took charge later looked at me afterward, and went "It takes a certain sorta stupid to run in ahead of the Marines, son... but you're my kind of stupid." I'm... pretty sure it was a compliment.

there a line in the Incredibles that I sort of loved, and the message of the movie was really great. The line goes,

Mom: "Everybody's special, Dash."
Dash: "That's just your way of saying nobody is."

Not everyone, even in the military, can be heroes, and admitting that only shows in sharper relief the real heroes that are there.

Noir
05-29-2012, 05:09 AM
It should be acknowledged as an ultimate sacrifice by you also, based on what you believe. And no, they haven't all died charging a machine gun nest. That doesn't make the less flashy deaths less heroic IMO. Some may be more heroic.

No, you would have to go by what they believe, thats why an islamic suicide bomber could never be deemed heroic, even though he's making the 'ultimate sacrifice' for his cause, he believes he will be rewarded greatly for it.

Noir
05-29-2012, 05:12 AM
So says the guy still wasting air while bloviating above ground! ^^^^^^
Which leads me to ask, do you do magic tricks and kids's birthday parties too?--Tyr

Quite right, i shall kill myself at once!

Shadow
05-29-2012, 06:38 AM
Okay, I'm about to take a massive amount of shit, here, but Noir is correct. He isn't dismissing any actual heroism on the part of the armed forces, he just sees a simple truth: Not all of us military folks are heroes, even amongst the fallen. We have our share of shitbags who get themselves, and sometimes even others killed. Admitting to this does not denegrate the fallen- Quite the reverse, because it is easier to take the shitbag route, it is safer to just keep your head down, and there are many examples of people in the military who do just that, and it only puts the real heroes in sharper contrast.

I remember running into a burning building, and trust me, there were a bunch of guys who wouldn't have, who didn't, and just stood and watched while I and several others did the work, stretching their necks to watch rather than approach and aid us. The Boatswain's Mate Chief that took charge later looked at me afterward, and went "It takes a certain sorta stupid to run in ahead of the Marines, son... but you're my kind of stupid." I'm... pretty sure it was a compliment.

there a line in the Incredibles that I sort of loved, and the message of the movie was really great. The line goes,

Mom: "Everybody's special, Dash."
Dash: "That's just your way of saying nobody is."

Not everyone, even in the military, can be heroes, and admitting that only shows in sharper relief the real heroes that are there.

Somehow I doubt the talking head that this thread is about was making that distinction.

DragonStryk72
05-29-2012, 07:32 AM
Somehow I doubt the talking head that this thread is about was making that distinction.

He may not have been making that distinction, but for one, he did apologize sincerely after the fact, sincerely I believe. I don't think he honestly grasped the point he himself was making until after the whole thing was out of his mouth, like the idea had seemed like a good one in his head, and of course MSNBC was like, "Sure, sounds great!", and then afterward he's watching it and goes, "Oh, shit."

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-29-2012, 07:44 AM

By all means, have right at it. If you choose to abandon even common sense along with religion who am I to try to talk you out of it?
I find your attempt at cold intellectual thought on this emotional matter of paying homage to our military dead to be rather silly myself.
I mean , it is a bit like laughing at a terrible accident (fire) that caused massive death and destruction.
Of course you could explain it doesnt mean a dmmnn thing to you but that's kinda my point now isn't it?
You have every right to make the comments that you have and I have every right as an American to criticise those awkward efforts..
On second thought , hold off on the "offing yourself" offer that you so generously gave because I'd like to engage you in conversation for at least a few more months. I trust that you will be so kind as to grant that little request? After that ,do whatever trips your fancy.. I've found it best to let a determined man gallop his horse just as fast as he cares to. -Tyr

CSM
05-29-2012, 08:13 AM
It is my opinion that not all heroes are soldiers and not all soldiers are heroes. Like a lot of other things, the media and general consensus has perverted the meaning of the word. That being said, I believe Memorial Day originally was intended to honor America's war dead (hero or not).

Further, there is a tendency to confuse bravery with heroism. Bravery can lead to heroism, but not always and there is such a thing as an "accidental" hero ( I could tell stories for sure!). I think it is a disservice to our fallen military to call them ALL heroes and it is also a disservice to think this nation (as a people) should NOT honor or commemorate those who gave their lives in service to tis nation. Whether we call it Decoration Day, Memorial Day or any other name.

Let other nations commemorate their dead in whatever way they choose. I, for one, like the idea of a national holiday in their honor thus will observe the aforementioned holiday in the way it was intended. I did much reflection on my fallen comrades, some of whom I knew very well, and those whom I did not know personally and yet served until their "full measure" was given. I sincerely hope that many in this country did the same.

Shadow
05-29-2012, 08:36 AM
He may not have been making that distinction, but for one, he did apologize sincerely after the fact, sincerely I believe. I don't think he honestly grasped the point he himself was making until after the whole thing was out of his mouth, like the idea had seemed like a good one in his head, and of course MSNBC was like, "Sure, sounds great!", and then afterward he's watching it and goes, "Oh, shit."

His problem with the word 'hero' and 'valor' wasn't that it was attached to soldiers that didn't deserve it. It was that the soldiers that do show 'valor' and acts of 'heroism' are held up and praised... and in his view...prop up the justification for war (by the image of the military they invoke). He was uncomfortable drawing attention to them period...not in the fact that our society may not be drawing the distinction between the two that you talked about.

And he should have felt like an asshole....he was one. Memorial day is not the right time for that kind of little speech.

darin
05-29-2012, 08:54 AM
It is my opinion that not all heroes are soldiers and not all soldiers are heroes.

You maintain well-earned respect towards anything you have to say relating to Soldiers.

"Soldiers are Heroes" is a statement falling under 'about right, but exactly wrong.' While on the eaches, sure - there are certainly scumbag Soldires and Veterans. But while identifying "Soldiers" as heroes there is no issue with the eaches. "Soldiers are Heroes" speaks to the Spirit of the service to one's nation - not neccessarily the specifics to each person's service.

If we can call a child a 'hero' for dialing 911 to save the life of their parent, we can most-certainly name the unidentified Soldier who, by simply following orders, stormed out of his landing craft on D-Day - only to fall, gravely-wounded into the ocean before he touched dry beach. We can most-certainly proclaim the 'heroism' of the Soldier who may have been blown-up and/or crushed under the rubble of an IED, Mortar, or Rocket, while sitting in a building in Iraq, typing award certificates or processing evaluation reports. Both followed their Orders and performed their job; both died career Soldiers.

tailfins
05-29-2012, 08:57 AM

Ah! Some Beck style sarcasm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE&ob=av2e

logroller
05-29-2012, 09:17 AM
It is my opinion that not all heroes are soldiers and not all soldiers are heroes. Like a lot of other things, the media and general consensus has perverted the meaning of the word. That being said, I believe Memorial Day originally was intended to honor America's war dead (hero or not).

Further, there is a tendency to confuse bravery with heroism. Bravery can lead to heroism, but not always and there is such a thing as an "accidental" hero ( I could tell stories for sure!). I think it is a disservice to our fallen military to call them ALL heroes and it is also a disservice to think this nation (as a people) should NOT honor or commemorate those who gave their lives in service to tis nation. Whether we call it Decoration Day, Memorial Day or any other name.

Let other nations commemorate their dead in whatever way they choose. I, for one, like the idea of a national holiday in their honor thus will observe the aforementioned holiday in the way it was intended. I did much reflection on my fallen comrades, some of whom I knew very well, and those whom I did not know personally and yet served until their "full measure" was given. I sincerely hope that many in this country did the same.
Great post csm! There's assuredly a number of heroes who didn't die, but Memorial Day isn't about them or even heroism. Memorial day is about giving reverence to those who laid down their lives in defense of Our freedoms. :salute:

Noir
05-29-2012, 09:41 AM
Ah! Some Beck style sarcasm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgSPaXgAdzE&ob=av2e

As a random aside I saw Beck live a few years ago, had no idea who they were though, still don't really, though i didn't know they did that song.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-29-2012, 09:57 AM
A fallen hero has no need of our great and sincere praise. For its "we as a people" that have far greater need to honor thier sacrifice by giving that praise! And give it we should. Let those that refuse to do so continue to walk down thier dark and miserable path unmolested. For arriving at thier final destination will be a just reward so richly deserved even if it be so late in arriving....--Tyr

Some military heroes dont die in the heat of battle. They survive and die a quiet death decades later at home surrounded by family. Just received news that a close family friend passed away last night about midnight..
Guy was an honorable man, a Korean War veteran and had been ill for a long time. His family-kids had all been there to see him earlier. May he rest in peace.--Tyr

ConHog
05-29-2012, 10:25 AM

EVERYONE who has served is a hero. Some more flawed than others; but like the man said everyone who's joined the military has written a blank check with their lives as collateral that the government can cash at any time.

Doesn't mean some heroes aren't also bad people; b/c there are definitely some bad people in the military

DragonStryk72
05-29-2012, 10:34 AM
EVERYONE who has served is a hero. Some more flawed than others; but like the man said everyone who's joined the military has written a blank check with their lives as collateral that the government can cash at any time.

Doesn't mean some heroes aren't also bad people; b/c there are definitely some bad people in the military

Really? Every single one? Even the one who bags out the second things get hairy and leaves his buddies for dead? That's your definition for Hero?

No, not everyone who's joined the military has done that. That's why you see guys getting bounced, or committing desertion. Why is everyone so rabid to call whole sections of the world something that completely destroys the very definition of the word they're labeling them with? Heroes save lives and put themselves to the hazard. Not every single military member does that.

You're really going to call the guy who keeps his head down and refuses to risk anything cause he's got his 20 years, and he's retiring a hero? He's bravely "doing the bare minimum so he can get his money"? that's heroics now?

darin
05-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Really? Every single one? Even the one who bags out the second things get hairy and leaves his buddies for dead? That's your definition for Hero?

No, not everyone who's joined the military has done that. That's why you see guys getting bounced, or committing desertion. Why is everyone so rabid to call whole sections of the world something that completely destroys the very definition of the word they're labeling them with? Heroes save lives and put themselves to the hazard. Not every single military member does that.

You're really going to call the guy who keeps his head down and refuses to risk anything cause he's got his 20 years, and he's retiring a hero? He's bravely "doing the bare minimum so he can get his money"? that's heroics now?

Doesn't have to be Every single one to be true.

DragonStryk72
05-29-2012, 11:03 AM
Doesn't have to be Every single one to be true.

Yeah, it does, and he flat out said every one.

It's the corollary. Some Liberals are heroes, and some heroes are Liberals, therefore Liberals are Heroes? What does that make us, villains since we're the force they fight against? When you use that sort of logic, every single person in the whole world becomes a hero, completely destroying the very meaning of the term.

darin
05-29-2012, 11:36 AM
Yeah, it does, and he flat out said every one.

It's the corollary. Some Liberals are heroes, and some heroes are Liberals, therefore Liberals are Heroes? What does that make us, villains since we're the force they fight against? When you use that sort of logic, every single person in the whole world becomes a hero, completely destroying the very meaning of the term.

I'm telling you the truth - I don't specifically care what 'he' or 'anyone' said.

Yes - Liberals are Heroes. Because some Heroes are Liberal.

(shrug).

As I explained "Soldiers are Heroes" speaks to the value of one placing their life in service to the Nation. In that regard, joining is a heroic action. Finding the exception doesn't serve any purpose except to remove from the most-honorable of our citizens the praise they deserve for their selflessness.

Little-Acorn
05-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Why anyone would watch MSNBC is beyond me.

Nobody does. They have the lowest ratings of any TV network, bar none. If they weren't supported by the somewhat-less-liberal NBC, they'd have withered away long ago, like the misnamed "Air America".

ConHog
05-29-2012, 11:46 AM

It applies for those they fought for. IE I fought for America, I am a "hero" to Americans, to Iraqis, not so much. So yes, I would have no problem with Iraqis calling their soldiers heroes even though I fought against them, just as an example.

90% of German troops in WWII didn't have a fucking clue what was going on at home. All they knew was the propaganda they were fed, Allies were out to get them. I've no problem with those folks being considered heroes.

Gator Monroe
05-29-2012, 01:06 PM
The Far Left hates the Military so when they hit the Reset Button hopefully the Military will turn on them like a pitbull.

aboutime
05-29-2012, 01:13 PM
But the entire network is made up of hate filled liberals who no longer even try and mask their contempt for America and the US military

and as far a Chris, this is fun to watch as he does like this question being asked

http://www.mrctv.org/videos/very-annoyed-matthews-rips-horses-ass-right-wingers-who-cite-thrill-my-leg-calls-c-span-host-jackass

All anyone needs to do is. Watch their numbers compared to other Cable network news sites.
There's a reason Rush Limbaugh calls them PMSNBC.

As for Matthews. I looked in the dictionary, and found a photo of him next to the Horse's butt description, with a further definition of Tingle's the Mind.

Missileman
05-29-2012, 05:36 PM
No, you would have to go by what they believe, thats why an islamic suicide bomber could never be deemed heroic, even though he's making the 'ultimate sacrifice' for his cause, he believes he will be rewarded greatly for it.

Look, you and I believe they aren't getting any reward and are therefore in OUR eyes, committing the ultimate sacrifice...at least I would think that would be your position.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-29-2012, 06:30 PM
All anyone needs to do is. Watch their numbers compared to other Cable network news sites.
There's a reason Rush Limbaugh calls them PMSNBC.

As for Matthews. I looked in the dictionary, and found a photo of him next to the Horse's butt description, with a further definition of Tingle's the Mind.

Good thing that it was not a picture of a horse's butt alongside that of Mathew's or you'd never been able to figure out which one was the horse's butt.
I've never ever wanted to slap the living hell out of a person more than I do Matthews.
That dmnn fool is a real slimeball. Install him in the Whitehouse and bammaboy would never need toilet paper!--Tyr