PDA

View Full Version : I want to hunt, but I believe I'm unable to do it

darin
05-30-2012, 08:46 AM
While mowing last night, near our garden bed, I was watching my mowing line when movement up ahead caught my eye. I looked up and saw a large Doe about 40 feet from me (estimate - I was half-way along our 60' garden - she was just beyond the far edge of the plot)standing perpendicular to my travel, but head and eyes watching me. She was beautiful. Her coat was nearly the colour of my dog. Beyond her another 20 feet was a young buck, his ~8" antlers just sprouted. Both stood and watched me. I shut the mower down and stared back. After a few seconds, they gracefully walked across our driveway and towards our pond. I started the mower and followed some - they went up to the apple trees in the back of the house, then around to the far side of our pond, and snacked on a couple nibbles of weeping willow. On foot, I approached my side of the pond as the young lovers pranced down between my willows, and out to our tall grass and evergreens.

I was thinking - I cannot fathom putting a 12 gauge slug into either of their chests. I wanted to pet them, not kill them. Yet, I want to have the skill to harvest the deer. However, being around my dog - a real emotion/instinct-driven creature with a heart and lungs and whatever...man...I'm not sure I could do it.

Is all life too precious? Would probably be easier to take down a feral pig or something not as pretty as a deer, maybe...
'

Noir
05-30-2012, 09:11 AM
Unsurprisingly it just something i don't understand =/

Like, if people are hunting to survive etc, fair enough, but if someone wants to do it just so they can be all 'yeah i shot a deer and some birds the other day' to show his skill or the size of his unmentionables they are verging on the level of simpleton IMO.

darin
05-30-2012, 09:23 AM

Like, if people are hunting to survive etc, fair enough, but if someone wants to do it just so they can be all 'yeah i shot a deer and some birds the other day' to show his skill or the size of his unmentionables they are verging on the level of simpleton IMO.

I think I agree - I can't see gloating about a kill...those typical 'lookit this dead deer!' pics i'm sure you've seen, with the hunter posing the animal's head towards the camera.

Just dunno...

A coworker offered me a few ducks; They'll live on my pond for the summer and be ready to harvest this fall. She says they are delicious...but I'm unsure if I'd have the stomach to kill them after seeing them for a few months.

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 09:41 AM
I worked with a gal who raises her own chickens and slaughters them. She wanted to do that because she wants to be self-sufficient in the growing of her own food. She also has a huge garden.

I remember when she described her husband killing the first chicken and the first time she kiilled one. It sounded horrendous to me, but I eat meat too. I'm just as guilty of taking life as she is.

What meat eating Buddhists do, is to remember that a being gave life so that we can eat, and we pray that the being by contact with us through eating it have a fortunate rebirth and attain enlightenment.

Some Buddhists are completely vegetarian, they never eat meat. I was vegetarian solely for many years. The fact that all beings are equal, insects and animals, it's impossible to avoid killing beings. Even vegetarians have the karma of many insects who are slaughtered for the harvesting of vegetables and grains.

I remember a retreat I did once. I was watching these two lizards, the larger one swallowed the smaller one whole. It was shocking, but that is samsara. Samsara is cyclic existence and cyclic existence includes suffering.

Just some random thoughts in response to the OP.

darin
05-30-2012, 09:47 AM
I appreciate the thoughts, WS -

I'll probably still do it, but if I do, it'll be with reverance and appreciation for all God has provided.

logroller
05-30-2012, 10:01 AM
Don't worry DMP; come hunting season they'll be outta sight. My grandpa took me hunting the first time and I remember him sitting me down and talking about life and death-- that like fishing, success isn't measured by rather you bag one-- its the experience that counts.....of course, he also told me to make it swift and clean, which I did not. The wails of an injured animal are something I'll never forget, very sad for me. Last big game I ever hunted, but an experience I'll never forget.

darin
05-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Don't worry dmp; come hunting season they'll be outta sight. My grandpa took me hunting the first time and I remember him sitting me down and talking about life and death-- that like fishing, success isn't measured by rather you bag one-- its the experience that counts.....of course, he also told me to make it swift and clean, which I did not. The wails of an injured animal are something I'll never forget, very sad for me. Last big game I ever hunted, but an experience I'll never forget.

Well, if last year is an indication - which it's probably not - I'll have my chance. We saw half-dozen in the back yard over the course of a couple weeks.

Hearing the thing wail WOULD be terrible. If it was still breathing when I went out to it? Ugh.

A few years ago I ran over a feral kitten in my driveway. Smashed a large portion of its head. I had to finish it off. Tore me apart.

DragonStryk72
05-30-2012, 11:20 AM

My buddy Ron and his dad go hunting around Yorktown VA because the deer population is way too high. I've actually been hunting one time before with them, and I did bag a 10-point with a bow and arrow (Years of practice at archery through Rotary Scout Camp). The fact is, I view hunting as a necessity in these sorts of instances where overpopulation can lead to the death of the deer population itself, as well as other species of the area when the food gets scarce.

Dilloduck
05-30-2012, 11:32 AM
If you are starving and need to harvest a deer all you need to do is shoot it,gut it, skin it and cook it. You can learn how to do all these things by reading. If knowing how to harvest one in an emergency is your only goal, read about. It's not that hard. I hunt whenever I can and learn other things about nature while I'm doing it.

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Question. Those of you who hunt. How do you feel when you're killing an animal?

Dilloduck
05-30-2012, 11:36 AM

Fine

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 11:40 AM
Fine

"Fine". Does that mean it's enjoyable?

logroller
05-30-2012, 11:45 AM

It's exhilarating at first; then a little sadness; then its time to gut it.

darin
05-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Because you replied to her obviously-leading question, this thread now has a 1.75% chance of remaining reasonably okay. There's a 98.25% chance she'll take whatever you wrote and run with it off the cliff of 'Thread despair' She doesnt want to have an honest debate, she wants to preach/shout/flame whatever it is somebody does she doesnt agree with.

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Wow. You kind of get off on it to start with. I'm glad you have some sadness next.

DragonStryk72
05-30-2012, 12:10 PM

I was sad for killing the deer, but I was more shocked than anything that my shot actually hit and took it down on one pull. There is an adrenaline rush to it, but then I get an adrenaline rush when I play Bingo. There was a certain satisfaction with being able to feed all of my friends at once with my kill, though. It's a lot more complicated than most people truthfully understand.

logroller
05-30-2012, 12:19 PM
I was sad for killing the deer, but I was more shocked than anything that my shot actually hit and took it down on one pull. There is an adrenaline rush to it, but then I get an adrenaline rush when I play Bingo. There was a certain satisfaction with being able to feed all of my friends at once with my kill, though. It's a lot more complicated than most people truthfully understand.

It is complicated; especially that split second before you release-- I always question my intention at that moment. That's cool you do it with a bow. I've took down rabbits with a bow; never large game. I just have a recurve though; not sure how confident I'd be with something large.

DragonStryk72
05-30-2012, 12:26 PM
It is complicated; especially that split second before you release-- I always question my intention at that moment. That's cool you do it with a bow. I've took down rabbits with a bow; never large game. I just have a recurve though; not sure how confident I'd be with something large.

It's difficult, but I was uncomfortable with using one of the rifles they had with the 1000 yd. scopes. It felt like the deer wouldn't even have any chance, so I figure a bow is at least giving them a sporting chance. Sure, I have to be closer to the deer to take the shot, but I feel better that there's at least chance of them walking away even if I hit. I was firing a compound bow with hunting heads on it. There's technically a sight, but I never use the thing.

logroller
05-30-2012, 12:37 PM
It's difficult, but I was uncomfortable with using one of the rifles they had with the 1000 yd. scopes. It felt like the deer wouldn't even have any chance, so I figure a bow is at least giving them a sporting chance. Sure, I have to be closer to the deer to take the shot, but I feel better that there's at least chance of them walking away even if I hit. I was firing a compound bow with hunting heads on it. There's technically a sight, but I never use the thing.

At what range was the deer you took?

DragonStryk72
05-30-2012, 01:04 PM
At what range was the deer you took?

A little over fifty feet, and it was about 630 am, with the wind coming my direction. The deer just wandered into the area.

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 01:24 PM

I'm only thinking about this in terms of karma. I won't comment any further on karma. There is less karma accumulated if you regret killing. Don't worry about it, though. It's only Buddhists who care about karma.

logroller
05-30-2012, 01:33 PM
I'm only thinking about this in terms of karma. I won't comment any further on karma. There is less karma accumulated if you regret killing. Don't worry about it, though. It's only Buddhists who care about karma.

Its only Buddhists that call it karma, but having a conscience is not the exclusive domain of Buddhists. I believe we all have goodness and badness within us. At times those things exists together, the proverbial gray area, and its a challenge for us to make sense of those actions. I mean clearly, if your family is starving, easy decision in my book; but doing so for sport does introduce a dilemma. I did it because I wanted to know how, in case I needed to at some point. I did so; now I know. that's all it was for me; and I remain at peace. Were I never to have done it; I couldn't know that peace.

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 02:39 PM
Its only Buddhists that call it karma, but having a conscience is not the exclusive domain of Buddhists. I believe we all have goodness and badness within us. At times those things exists together, the proverbial gray area, and its a challenge for us to make sense of those actions. I mean clearly, if your family is starving, easy decision in my book; but doing so for sport does introduce a dilemma. I did it because I wanted to know how, in case I needed to at some point. I did so; now I know. that's all it was for me; and I remain at peace. Were I never to have done it; I couldn't know that peace.

Of course, we all have a conscience, unless you're a sociopath. Buddhists are concerned with karma. I agree we all have good and bad qualities within us. Tibetan Buddhists eat meat. If they didn't, they would have never survived living in the Himalyas, because growing food there is very difficult.

Even the Dalai Lama, who holds monk vows, (monks and nuns are vegetarian), has to eat meat a couple of times a week. That means he breaks his vows and must do purification practices every time he eats meat.

The more consciousness we can all put into the food chain the better for all beings, don't you think?

DragonStryk72
05-30-2012, 02:46 PM

Ah, but which is worse karmically, to hunt the deer down, and make the most use of the kill, or to allow them to overpopulate, and destroy the entire ecosystem, killing off not only themselves, but also the wildlife of the area, who cannot eat because the deer eat it all?

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 03:05 PM
Ah, but which is worse karmically, to hunt the deer down, and make the most use of the kill, or to allow them to overpopulate, and destroy the entire ecosystem, killing off not only themselves, but also the wildlife of the area, who cannot eat because the deer eat it all?

Which is worse karmically? It depends on the motivation. If your motivation is pride and you kill an animal in order to hang a trophy and you waste the meat and the hide, then it's worse karmically. The motivation for the killing is completely selfish. If you kill an animal to eat, and you have no other food, it's still a selfish motivation, but you are also a sentient being that deserves compassion.

Then you have the broad view, that it's ok to hunt deer because we have hunted the deer's natural predators out of existence. It's a mixed motivation and mixed karma. It may be a kindness to kill an animal before it starves to death, or it may be karma mixed with the greed that went into the killing of predator animals, like wolves and cougars.

That's what I mean when I say that Buddhists are NOT moral absolutist. Every time I ask a Lama a question about ethics, we hear, "It depends on the motivation."

Most human motivation is mixed with virtue and non-virtue.

Dilloduck
05-30-2012, 03:14 PM
I'll have my motivation on the rocks, thank you very much.:beer:

DragonStryk72
05-30-2012, 03:29 PM
Which is worse karmically? It depends on the motivation. If your motivation is pride and you kill an animal in order to hang a trophy and you waste the meat and the hide, then it's worse karmically. The motivation for the killing is completely selfish. If you kill an animal to eat, and you have no other food, it's still a selfish motivation, but you are also a sentient being that deserves compassion.

Then you have the broad view, that it's ok to hunt deer because we have hunted the deer's natural predators out of existence. It's a mixed motivation and mixed karma. It may be a kindness to kill an animal before it starves to death, or it may be karma mixed with the greed that went into the killing of predator animals, like wolves and cougars.

That's what I mean when I say that Buddhists are NOT moral absolutist. Every time I ask a Lama a question about ethics, we hear, "It depends on the motivation."

So which is worse karmically, removing side points?

Wind Song
05-30-2012, 03:35 PM
So which is worse karmically, removing side points?

What do you mean "removing side points"?

darin
05-30-2012, 04:32 PM

I disagree. Most human motivation revolves around 'self'. Nearly every feeling we enjoy or hate is the direct result of ego.

ConHog
05-30-2012, 05:36 PM
While mowing last night, near our garden bed, I was watching my mowing line when movement up ahead caught my eye. I looked up and saw a large Doe about 40 feet from me (estimate - I was half-way along our 60' garden - she was just beyond the far edge of the plot)standing perpendicular to my travel, but head and eyes watching me. She was beautiful. Her coat was nearly the colour of my dog. Beyond her another 20 feet was a young buck, his ~8" antlers just sprouted. Both stood and watched me. I shut the mower down and stared back. After a few seconds, they gracefully walked across our driveway and towards our pond. I started the mower and followed some - they went up to the apple trees in the back of the house, then around to the far side of our pond, and snacked on a couple nibbles of weeping willow. On foot, I approached my side of the pond as the young lovers pranced down between my willows, and out to our tall grass and evergreens.

I was thinking - I cannot fathom putting a 12 gauge slug into either of their chests. I wanted to pet them, not kill them. Yet, I want to have the skill to harvest the deer. However, being around my dog - a real emotion/instinct-driven creature with a heart and lungs and whatever...man...I'm not sure I could do it.

Is all life too precious? Would probably be easier to take down a feral pig or something not as pretty as a deer, maybe...
'

I don't hunt. Plenty of wildlife around here, and I DO let a few people hunt on my property b/c a fact of life is that if people didn't hunt the deer around here they would over populate and end up dying of illness and such; but I am picky about who I allow to do, it has to be people who I KNOW are using the animal as a food source. Myself, I don't care enough for deer meat to hunt them; but to those who do I say enjoy. To those who trophy hunt I agree with you. Disgusting. Join the military and shoot at someone/thing that can shoot back.

I don't fish either, for much the same reason. Don't care enough about the fish to do so, and I can afford to buy my meat, but again, we have a river that runs through the back of property and I DO let a select few use my property while fishing (I don't own the river so anyone can use that)

logroller
05-30-2012, 06:02 PM
What position do people take on nuisance animals: rats and mice, squirrels and gophers, rabbits and possums....things like that; is it ok to kill for quality of life? I mean, cattlemen don't like losing animals to squirrel holes. Farmers dont like rabbits eating their crops. And mice and rats, well, they're just disease transport. When is it ok to kill for our convenience; where do you draw the line?

ConHog
05-30-2012, 06:42 PM
What position do people take on nuisance animals: rats and mice, squirrels and gophers, rabbits and possums....things like that; is it ok to kill for quality of life? I mean, cattlemen don't like losing animals to squirrel holes. Farmers dont like rabbits eating their crops. And mice and rats, well, they're just disease transport. When is it ok to kill for our convenience; where do you draw the line?

For the most part we try not to kill anything on our farm. Even snakes as much as I hate them, if they leave me alone, I leave them alone.

Dilloduck
05-30-2012, 06:57 PM

Of course. Unfortunately there are parts of the world where if the hunter fails, his family starves. I bet coming home with nothing for ones family to eat isn't fun. Why did humans kill off the deers predators? I'll give you three guesses.

darin
05-31-2012, 04:40 AM
As an aside, I'd be a little confused why hunting would bother evolutionists, Darwinism-followers. I'd suspect the claimed natural order of things wouldn't be something upon which to place a value-judgment. </SPAN>

tailfins
05-31-2012, 05:47 AM

It's like any other job. Meat costs money. To me it's like finding a $100 bill on the ground.

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 10:33 PM
I don't currently hunt, but I wouldn't have a problem if I needed to do it to survive. I grew up on a farm - we raised and butchered all our own meat. There are times when I would get attached to one of them and then discover it was on the table for dinner, but I am a survivor. I will do what it takes to survive.

darin
06-01-2012, 04:53 AM
I will do what it takes

I should change my user name to "What it takes". :D

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 08:56 AM
I should change my user name to "What it takes". :D

I've told you before I can take on your what ever any day and still now yard, kill the woodpeckers, and roast the pig. Come on down!

red state
06-01-2012, 09:51 AM
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with preserving OUR heritage and providing quality food for the family that is practically FREE of chemicals and preservatives. If done properly and with responsibility, hunting can be a very spiritual practice and one that can bring families closer together. I don't take joy in the death of an animal but a successful hunt and a superb/clean shot is something to celebrate each and every time and one to thank Jesus Christ for the health, safety and privilege.
:flyflag:

darin
06-01-2012, 09:58 AM
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with preserving OUR heritage and providing quality food for the family that is practically FREE of chemicals and preservatives. If done properly and with responsibility, hunting can be a very spiritual practice and one that can bring families closer together. I don't take joy in the death of an animal but a successful hunt and a superb/clean shot is something to celebrate each and every time and one to thank Jesus Christ for the health, safety and privilege.

Jesus has nothing to do with the struggles I'd face pulling the trigger on a non-predator like a deer. Walking over to the carcass, complete with the gaping hole of a 12 ga slug; seeing the last breath escape; wondering if the deer's mate is hovering just out of view...just not sure I can escape the human emotions I'm projecting onto the animal.

Now...financially, would be good for us to save money on beef or other meat. So, in that case, I might do it. It'd be a difficult choice and brutally hard (thatswhatshesaid).

red state
06-01-2012, 11:09 AM
Hunt if you wish...don't if you prefer...just leaves more game for me and others.

Thank God Almighty (Jesus Christ) if you wish...don't if you rather not. I don't care what the other guy does (so long as he/she doesn't bother MY God given, American right to keep and use the weapon of my choice and thank whomever I wish for all of our rights as AMERICANS.

Vote Allen West in 2016 (Either way...with B.O. or B.O. LITE, 2012 is lost already).

~Red State

ConHog
06-01-2012, 11:23 AM
Hunt if you wish...don't if you prefer...just leaves more game for me and others.

Thank God Almighty (Jesus Christ) if you wish...don't if you rather not. I don't care what the other guy does (so long as he/she doesn't bother MY God given, American right to keep and use the weapon of my choice and thank whomever I wish for all of our rights as AMERICANS.

Vote Allen West in 2016 (Either way...with B.O. or B.O. LITE, 2012 is lost already).

~Red State

I see you're as umm , different, as ever.

WELCOME BACK RSR.

darin
06-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Not exactly...unless you plan on hunting in my back yard. :)

Thank God Almighty (Jesus Christ) if you wish...don't if you rather not.

Religion Forum.

I don't care what the other guy does (so long as he/she doesn't bother MY God given, American right to keep and use the weapon of my choice and thank whomever I wish for all of our rights as AMERICANS.

Maybe the Current Events forum? Lounge?

~Red State

Political Discussion Forum.

red state
06-01-2012, 11:46 AM
hunt, eat, enjoy!!!!

:poke:

fj1200
06-01-2012, 12:49 PM
I see you're as umm , different, as ever.

WELCOME BACK RSR.

My guess? not him.

red state
06-01-2012, 01:25 PM
All of us, RED STATE, good ole boys look alike. The bottom of footwear usually looks pretty much identical when you've crossed a good ole boy, suddenly find yourself a bit dazed and see the thunder coming down upon you. HA!!! Kidding of course but this "RED STATE RULES" guy sounds like a great AMERICAN!

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 01:47 PM
To make it clear, this new member is not our old RSR. I think he just happened to choose a similar username.

Red State, not sure if I welcomed you in the introductions thread, but welcome again! :beer:

Any way I can convince or pay you to use a different color than that bright red? I keep thinking I'm a bull and something is trying to stab me. Either that or I am hallucinating!

All I want to say, on topic, is that I could never hunt. I don't stand against it, I just could never do so myself. I eat deer and other larger animals and even eat small game and what not. Just as in slaughterhouses and such, I choose to remain ignorant and just enjoy my meal. I don't think this makes hunters bad people, nor me a wuss. Everyone is different, including those who choose not to eat meat. I'll support anyone with a choice but won't 'push' anything on anyone.

red state
06-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Thanks JIMNYC,

I will tone my hue and attitude down as much as possible and appreciate your thoughtful and well written comment. I agree with you 110%. If one wants to hunt...by all means, HUNT. IF you don't, I can still be your friend and since I donate meat from time to time, would have no problem sharing my blessings with others (whether they believe in the importance of hunting or not).

I also appreciate the kind welcome and apologize for not introducing myself. I was a bit blind in getting accustomed to navagating here but all seems to be going well. I am not able to post as much as I'd like but will do so with every chance that my breaks from work will allow. This site definitely seems a better than the other one and you guys should be seeing even more new members lately, such as TYR. I haven't seen another member that I had hoped to see (OLD SALT) but I'm sure he is simply busy for now.

Kind regards to ALL (even the liberals) HA!!!

~RED STATE
PS: The name RS carried over from my other presence on the 'other site'.

PostmodernProphet
06-01-2012, 02:25 PM
fishing is easier....we have catch and release....(though if you promise not to tell my kids, the reason they always managed to catch more fish than dad was that I generally didn't bother to put bait on my hook.....I just enjoyed sitting on the shore with my cap over my eyes)......

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 02:36 PM
fishing is easier....we have catch and release....(though if you promise not to tell my kids, the reason they always managed to catch more fish than dad was that I generally didn't bother to put bait on my hook.....I just enjoyed sitting on the shore with my cap over my eyes)......

Very true, I love fishing! The only time I would ever keep would be like a 10lb Largemouth Bass and above, to stuff the bastard. Other than that everything gets dumped right back in the water. I'm sure they aren't thrilled with having a hook ripped through them and dragged to the surface, but after all, they started it by trying to steal my food!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks JIMNYC,

I will tone my hue and attitude down as much as possible and appreciate your thoughtful and well written comment. I agree with you 110%. If one wants to hunt...by all means, HUNT. IF you don't, I can still be your friend and since I donate meat from time to time, would have no problem sharing my blessings with others (whether they believe in the importance of hunting or not).

I also appreciate the kind welcome and apologize for not introducing myself. I was a bit blind in getting accustomed to navagating here but all seems to be going well. I am not able to post as much as I'd like but will do so with every chance that my breaks from work will allow. This site definitely seems a better than the other one and you guys should be seeing even more new members lately, such as TYR. I haven't seen another member that I had hoped to see (OLD SALT) but I'm sure he is simply busy for now.

Kind regards to ALL (even the liberals) HA!!!

~RED STATE
PS: The name RS carried over from my other presence on the 'other site'.

Good to see you made it my friend! I sent you that invite 2 days ago, what took ya so long?
A GREAT SITE ISNT IT?
So far five of us that I know of have left the old forum and came here.
You will notice its we strong conservatives that left. We that refused to be mistreated in favor of anti-American trolls there.
Take my word for it amigo. A damn lot of fine people here and here one can talk like an adult.
I'll send ya a pm in about an hour or so , my wife needs serious attention, our son just went to play at a friend's house for a few hours. Daddy's going to be busy for a spell..:laugh:--Tyr

ConHog
06-01-2012, 06:24 PM
My guess? not him.

IT's not, I was wrong.

Doesn't happen often.

fj1200
06-01-2012, 10:37 PM
IT's not, I was wrong.

Doesn't happen often.

That's why I don't bother debating you too often. It would hurt your ego. :poke:

red state
06-28-2012, 12:33 AM
Getting back on topic...there's nothing wrong with hunting if done properly, respectfully and responsibly.

Now, getting a bit off topic again...Hey guys/gals, bow season is just around the corner (Sept. for Tennessee) (Sept and/or October for Mississippi) and I can't wait to bring home some nice, fresh, wholesomely, naturally (organic to you liberals) RED meat!!!! I believe I'll take one for dining and utilize one, entire animal to jerky. I did this last year and the jerky really came in handy for our trip to the mountains of Tennessee (during our annual Thanksgiving trip).

If it is OK...I'd be thrilled to post photos, update folks on achievements, share recipes and hunting tips/tactics. I haven't hunted with a gun in well over 5 years now but I'd still be thrilled to talk guns as well. Of course, that can be started by a new thread....TYR, I'll leave that to you since I started a BOW SEASON thread once before.

Hope to see a lot of folks participate in TYR's thread....I know I'm looking for some sensible folks responding with respect. It would be great to get responses from those who genuinely wish to LEARN and don't have a problem with being open minded. After all, isn't that what it was all about to be liberal once upon a time?

So, I guess this is it on this thread...

logroller
06-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Getting back on topic...there's nothing wrong with hunting if done properly, respectfully and responsibly.

Now, getting a bit off topic again...Hey guys/gals, bow season is just around the corner (Sept. for Tennessee) (Sept and/or October for Mississippi) and I can't wait to bring home some nice, fresh, wholesomely, naturally (organic to you liberals) RED meat!!!! I believe I'll take one for dining and utilize one, entire animal to jerky. I did this last year and the jerky really came in handy for our trip to the mountains of Tennessee (during our annual Thanksgiving trip).

If it is OK...I'd be thrilled to post photos, update folks on achievements, share recipes and hunting tips/tactics. I haven't hunted with a gun in well over 5 years now but I'd still be thrilled to talk guns as well. Of course, that can be started by a new thread....TYR, I'll leave that to you since I started a BOW SEASON thread once before.

Hope to see a lot of folks participate in TYR's thread....I know I'm looking for some sensible folks responding with respect. It would be great to get responses from those who genuinely wish to LEARN and don't have a problem with being open minded. After all, isn't that what it was all about to be liberal once upon a time?

So, I guess this is it on this thread...

Id like to get your jerky recipe; maybe just post it in the food/recipe forum.
I don't see any problem with posting pics and what not, so long as its respectful to the animal; which, judging by your post, won't be an issue.:thumb:

red state
06-28-2012, 09:07 AM
Sure thing. I once used a dehydrator but now do it in my self cleaning oven....much easier and BETTER. I never did like that store bought dehydrator that took up space. I'll try and locate the food section her on DP....still trying to get around this great site.

As for the photos...no tacky stuff and YES, I do respect the game for which I pursue and harvest. I'm a manager and, once upon a time, a trophy seeker. I've ALWAYs utilized the meat and do my own butchering. I am no longer a trophy seeker BUT I certainly will send an arrow at a nice 8pt rather than a doe (IF they are within reasonable distance and happen to be together). HA! The meat is just a good (usually) and I do enjoy looking at my "achievements" on the wall.

Thanks for the post!!!!

logroller
06-28-2012, 11:52 AM
Sure thing. I once used a dehydrator but now do it in my self cleaning oven....much easier and BETTER. I never did like that store bought dehydrator that took up space. I'll try and locate the food section her on DP....still trying to get around this great site.

As for the photos...no tacky stuff and YES, I do respect the game for which I pursue and harvest. I'm a manager and, once upon a time, a trophy seeker. I've ALWAYs utilized the meat and do my own butchering. I am no longer a trophy seeker BUT I certainly will send an arrow at a nice 8pt rather than a doe (IF they are within reasonable distance and happen to be together). HA! The meat is just a good (usually) and I do enjoy looking at my "achievements" on the wall.

Thanks for the post!!!!
Food and recipes forum:
http://www.debatepolicy.com/forumdisplay.php?28-Food-and-Recipes

ConHog
06-28-2012, 02:04 PM

Thanks for the post!!!!

I make my jerky in my electric smoker. YUMMY