PDA

View Full Version : NYC - En Route to Fascism. Bans Venti-sized drinks...For the GOOD of the consumers.

darin
05-31-2012, 03:02 AM
W-T-F, NYC?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html?_r=1

The proposed ban would affect virtually the entire menu of popular sugary drinks found in delis, fast-food franchises and even sports arenas, from energy drinks to pre-sweetened iced teas. The sale of any cup or bottle of sweetened drink larger than 16 fluid ounces — about the size of a medium coffee, and smaller than a common soda bottle — would be prohibited under the first-in-the-nation plan, which could take effect as soon as next March.

Please tell me how any resident with even HALF a brain can support this crap?

It'll spread. Liberals LOVE fascism; they love total control and dominion over the population.

DragonStryk72
05-31-2012, 07:22 AM
W-T-F, NYC?

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html?_r=1

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

It'll spread. Liberals LOVE fascism; they love total control and dominion over the population.

What gets me is that there have been far more effective initiatives than this used. Like the cigarette laws, NYers are just going to get around it however they can, and make Bloomberg look like a moron. I do wanna address one quote from the Mayor though:

“I don’t think you can make the case that we’re taking things away.”

Yes, yes you are. The freedom of choice over our own lives. It's really fucking sad when that's not even considered something being taken away.

darin
05-31-2012, 07:36 AM
If I'm in business there I start offering TWO 16oz sugary drinks for $.50 more than I used to charge for a 20oz.

tailfins
05-31-2012, 09:09 AM
If I'm in business there I start offering TWO 16oz sugary drinks for $.50 more than I used to charge for a 20oz.

I imagine the businesses support this. Now they can piously say they are "honoring the law" as they gouge people on drinks. I buy a 2-liter at the corner burger joint and take the rest home.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 10:10 AM
Oh good, more "hey you fat fuck, you don't know when to say enough is enough, so we will do it for you" laws

Noir
05-31-2012, 10:26 AM
The answer is education, not law, id say the understanding that a 16oz cup of coke/fanta etc holds 70%+ of their daily sugar intake you wouldn't see many looking for bigger cups...then again maybe not, this is america afterall.

logroller
05-31-2012, 10:39 AM
The answer is education, not law, id say the understanding that a 16oz cup of coke/fanta etc holds 70%+ of their daily sugar intake you wouldn't see many looking for bigger cups...then again maybe not, this is america afterall.
I believe theres already a law which requires businesses to post the calorie count on their menu. which I appreciate for just reason you premise:An informed consumer.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 10:52 AM
I believe theres already a law which requires businesses to post the calorie count on their menu. which I appreciate for just reason you premise:An informed consumer.

I support a weigh in at the front door. If you your wife, and two kids weigh as much as a small vehicle. Go home and cook a healthy meal you fat fucks, then go get some exercise.

BOOM , yes I just said that.

darin
05-31-2012, 10:59 AM

No, the answer is NOT education. The answer is "FREEDOM" to buy whatever the hell we want to buy.

If somebody wants terrible food, and somebody wants to SELL them terrible food, the govt should keep its nose out of it.

WiccanLiberal
05-31-2012, 11:01 AM
Working in Manhattan, I can tell you the nanny mentality is alive and well. The ads on the subways have been talking about the risks of sugary drinks for months and touting the public spiritedness of the beverage companies in making smaller sizes and posting calorie content. Seems they were working up to this all along.

Trigg
05-31-2012, 11:45 AM
I can't believe that they really think this will make any differenct in the American waist line.

Back 20 years ago working at McD we'd have people order 4 bigmacs a large fries and a diet coke. Like that was going to make any difference in the calories they were stuffing into themselves.

darin
05-31-2012, 11:48 AM
I can't believe that they really think this will make any differenct in the American waist line.

Back 20 years ago working at McD we'd have people order 4 bigmacs a large fries and a diet coke. Like that was going to make any difference in the calories they were stuffing into themselves.

When I drank pop, I'd order like that - I figured...with the 1500? Calories of the sandwhich, I'm "saving" several MORE hundred in pop, figuring 200 calories for a 8oz can.

What will make the difference? People willing to stop being so fat. Not just wanting to stop being fat..but willing to change their minds.

cadet
05-31-2012, 12:00 PM
W-T-F, NYC?

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

They're gonna tell me what i can and can't buy?
Screw it, let the revolution commence. Viva la America!

WiccanLiberal
05-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Not all liberals support this kind of bs. I certainly don't. Maybe my own issues with weight have something to do with it. I have been overweight all my life. It's NOT anyone else's fault. It is about me taking in more than my body uses. End of story. With a new doctor to motivate me, I have cut my calorie intake by about half, omitted soda almost entirely (including diet) and have lost 24 pounds in about 2 months. There are plenty of wrong food choices out there for me but there are also plenty of good ones I can make. The thing is, no amount of restrictive legislation would prevent me from being overweight if I didn't choose to change myself.

Noir
05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
No, the answer is NOT education. The answer is "FREEDOM" to buy whatever the hell we want to buy.

If somebody wants terrible food, and somebody wants to SELL them terrible food, the govt should keep its nose out of it.

Education and freedom aren't mutually exclusive.

darin
05-31-2012, 12:26 PM
Education and freedom aren't mutually exclusive.

Education can't promise results as displayed by choices. That's my point. Freedom to be uneducated is more important than attempts to 'force change' in behaviour, even through education.

Voted4Reagan
05-31-2012, 12:30 PM
what does it matter if I want to have a 20 oz bottle of Pepsi over the 12oz can? Who is the Government to say how much is proper for me to consume?

Welcome to NYC.... Home to $13 packs of Cigarettes, $4.50 Gas and no Trans Fats allowed in any of the 5 Boro's!

Talk about a friggin insane Nanny State!!!

But this is what we get here... 70% of the Population of the City is LIBERAL DEMOCRATS..

One of the Reasons I am glad I live on Long Island... and only work in the City.

Out here I am paying $3.62 for a gallon of Gas, can buy a Carton of Smokes at the Reservation for $27 Dollars and can get Fried Chicken made with 100% Lard if I so choose.

Over Regulation will be the death of this country

Noir
05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Education can't promise results as displayed by choices. That's my point. Freedom to be uneducated is more important than attempts to 'force change' in behaviour, even through education.

Freedom to be uneducated? Sounds lie something from an Orwell novel. Ignorance is not a strength.

cadet
05-31-2012, 12:47 PM
Freedom to be uneducated? Sounds lie something from an Orwell novel. Ignorance is not a strength.

In Arabic countries, dictatorships, etc. they use the mass's ignorance to further their own goals. "Do this cause this is what the holy book says, and it'll all work out in the end."
without said freedom to the stupids, we would be just like them. telling them to do as we say cause we know better.
as much as you may hate it, dumb people have the same rights as you. We have the right to be a bunch of retards.

darin
05-31-2012, 12:49 PM

You just said "Social Freedom is orwellian".

The FREEDOM to be ignorant, if one chooses (hence use of the word FREEDOM), is a desirable alternative to gov't indoctrination and behaviour modification through control of the markets, etc.

Thunderknuckles
05-31-2012, 12:52 PM
No one is saying ignorance is a good thing.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 12:58 PM

LOL @ the old " I'll take a diet coke with my super size meal cuz I'm on a diet" routine.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 01:00 PM

First of all, an American has the right to be as stupid as they like.

Second of all, I SERIOUSLY doubt that there is a person alive today, including children, who don't know that drinking a 5 gallon bucket of Mountain Dew isn't good for you.

Dilloduck
05-31-2012, 01:22 PM
How about deportation if you don't run a mile everyday ?

Americans will be living forever. How cool is that ?

logroller
05-31-2012, 02:08 PM
How about deportation if you don't run a mile everyday ?

Americans will be living forever. How cool is that ?
deportation...isn't that our immigration policy?

Abbey Marie
05-31-2012, 02:32 PM

The grease alone makes me want to :puke:

ConHog
05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
The grease alone makes me want to :puke:

plus they don't even have any taste. They are just there.

Abbey Marie
05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
plus they don't even have any taste. They are just there.

From what I recall about burgers, I'd agree. Back when I sometimes ate them, I put lots of stuff on them to give them some flavor.

Thunderknuckles
05-31-2012, 02:57 PM
From what I recall about burgers, I'd agree. Back when I sometimes ate them, I put lots of stuff on them to give them some flavor.
You don't eat hamburgers anymore? Not even even home grilled?

Abbey Marie
05-31-2012, 03:04 PM
You don't eat hamburgers anymore? Not even even home grilled?

No. :cool:

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 03:08 PM
First of all, an American has the right to be as stupid as they like.

Second of all, I SERIOUSLY doubt that there is a person alive today, including children, who don't know that drinking a 5 gallon bucket of Mountain Dew isn't good for you.

True an American has the right to be as stupid as they like. Many people actually believe liberals actually care about people

Where did anyone say a 5 gallon bucket of Mountain Dew is good for anyone? The bottom line is, this is another example of liberalism run amok

Noir
05-31-2012, 03:37 PM
one can only despair when suggestions such as 'lets educated people so they can make informed choices' is met with disagreement.

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 03:45 PM
one can only despair when suggestions such as 'lets educated people so they can make informed choices' is met with disagreement.

and when the "education" fails, liberals usually force people into doing what they want

After all, only liberal know what is best for everyone

Voted4Reagan
05-31-2012, 03:51 PM
it is why Liberals dont want to improve the NYC Schools...

Keep them Dumb, uninformed and poor with only one political opinion and you have a socio-economic underclass that will vote for you every time just so they can keep their benefits...

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
it is why Liberals dont want to improve the NYC Schools...

Keep them Dumb, uninformed and poor with only one political opinion and you have a socio-economic underclass that will vote for you every time just so they can keep their benefits...

A uneducated, uninformed, dependent on government person- is the perfect voter for any liberal

I just grilled 2 1/3 pd hamburgers. Put onions, lettuce, tomato, ketchup and mustard on them - and have a side of deep fried onion rings

Would in NY Nanny Food Police ticket me for eating this "unhealthy" meal?

Kathianne
05-31-2012, 04:00 PM
and when the "education" fails, liberals usually force people into doing what they want

After all, only liberal know what is best for everyone

Reminds me of a signature I saw here or somewhere: "Ideas so good, progressives require they be mandatory!"

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 04:02 PM
Reminds me of a signature I saw here or somewhere: "Ideas so good, progressives require they be mandatory!"

I always say the road to Hell is paved with liberals

darin
05-31-2012, 04:10 PM

Let each educate himself/herself, Noir. And this topic isn't education - it's fascism. Fascism is inherently evil because it strives to remove Man's (generic term) free will.

Allow a real-life example?

When I want to buy something...TV...Car...Food? Whatever - lets take car:

When I want a car I research the car. I find the data I want through just about every source BUT "Consumer Reports" (are you familiar with them?.

When I bought my mazda I knew it was bad for me. I knew reliability was suspect. I knew its 1.3L powerplant used oil, and returned about 14L/100km. I bought it anyway. My choice. I bought it because I wanted it.

Now - Everybody knows pop/sugar drinks are high in bad-things. Yet, the market supports 20oz containers of the bad things.

In the name of FREEDOM let the market decide if it wants to drink soda, smoke, eat fast-food. Very condescending to suggest adult humans need their Government to protect them from themselves.

Freedom - and freedom from others impeding others' freedom - trumps all.

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 04:13 PM
Let each educate himself/herself, Noir. And this topic isn't education - it's fascism. Fascism is inherently evil because it strives to remove Man's (generic term) free will.

When I want a car I research the car. I find the data I want through just about every source BUT "Consumer Reports" (are you familiar with them?.

When I bought my mazda I knew it was bad for me. I knew reliability was suspect. I knew its 1.3L powerplant used oil, and returned about 14L/100km. I bought it anyway. My choice. I bought it because I wanted it.

Now - Everybody knows pop/sugar drinks are high in bad-things. Yet, the market supports 20oz containers of the bad things.

In the name of FREEDOM let the market decide if it wants to drink soda, smoke, eat fast-food. Very condescending to suggest adult humans need their Government to protect them from themselves.

WAIT A MINUTE!!!!!

Personal responsibility? Freedom of choice? Living your own life?

What kind of hatemonger are you sir? Don't you know it is malcontents like you that make the job of liberals taking care of us so much harder

Noir
05-31-2012, 04:18 PM

So you get educated, and then make an informed choice, kinda like exactly what i was saying...

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 04:20 PM
So you get educated, and then make an informed choice, kinda like exactly what i was saying...

and if you defy the dogooder liberals, they do what the Nanny State Mayor is doing

Liberals will force you to do what they deem is best for you by making you what you want to eat/drink against the law

Noir
05-31-2012, 04:23 PM
and if you defy the dogooder liberals, they do what the Nanny State Mayor is doing

Liberals will force you to do what they deem is best for you by making you what you want to eat/drink against the law

As will conservatives, unless their interests are making the right money from it.

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 04:28 PM
As will conservatives, unless their interests are making the right money from it.

Yes, I can think of so many examples of conservatives banning soda, salt, transfats, cigarettes, and conservatives even take a kids lunch away in the school lunch room because it was deemed unhealthy

and why do liberals always seem to excuse their asinine ideology by saying "other do it"?

Noir
05-31-2012, 04:33 PM
Yes, I can think of so many examples of conservatives banning soda, salt, transfats, cigarettes, and conservatives even take a kids lunch away in the school lunch room because it was deemed unhealthy

and why do liberals always seem to excuse their asinine ideology by saying "other do it"?

Conservatives ain't so much foods and the like, they more like to ban things like drugs and such, also i'm not making excuses, both protect there own interests, and the bottom line is the dollar line.

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 04:36 PM
Conservatives ain't so much foods and the like, they more like to ban things like drugs and such.

Yea, only an idiot would do drugs, fry their brain, or drive a car under the influence of drugs So what if they get killed or kill others?

I guess it come from the mentality of the 1960's

Yesterdays flower children are todays blooming idiots

Noir
05-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Yea, only an idiot would do drugs, fry their brain, or drive a car under the influence of drugs So what if they get killed or kill others?

I guess it come from the mentality of the 1960's

Yesterdays flower children are todays blooming idiots

Sarcasm? If 'so what if they kill others' was rhetoric enough for making a drug illegal then alcohol would be back in prohibition, as it happens though the interests make there money, so it's not.

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 04:47 PM
Sarcasm? If 'so what if they kill others' was rhetoric enough for making a drug illegal then alcohol would be back in prohibition, as it happens though the interests make there money, so it's not.

Like I asked before why do liberals excuse their asinine ideology by saying "othesr do it" - or in your case "everybody does it?"

If you want to get high and croak in a crack house that is your business. But do not get behind the wheel, or operate heavy equipment and take innocent people with you

Now, why should Mayor Bloomturd care if I want to drink a Big Gulp?

Noir
05-31-2012, 04:52 PM
Now, why should Mayor Bloomturd care if I want to drink a Big Gulp?

I never said he should.

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 04:53 PM
I never said he should.

You sure have a strange way of showing your opposition

Strong and silent type perhaps?

darin
05-31-2012, 04:55 PM
having lived in the south, I have experienced Conservative stupidity (see: Blue Laws).

DragonStryk72
05-31-2012, 04:57 PM
You just said "Social Freedom is orwellian".

The FREEDOM to be ignorant, if one chooses (hence use of the word FREEDOM), is a desirable alternative to gov't indoctrination and behaviour modification through control of the markets, etc.

Really? No he didn't. You violate your childrens' freedoms on a daily basis, because you educate them, according to you. Or do you not stop your kids from sticking a fork in the electric socket?

4horsemenrule
05-31-2012, 05:00 PM
Really? No he didn't. You violate your childrens' freedoms on a daily basis, because you educate them, according to you. Or do you not stop your kids from sticking a fork in the electric socket?

That is how liberals see the people

Children who need THEIR supervision so they make the "correct" decisions

DragonStryk72

Um, no. What he specifically said, from all the way over in the UK, is that making sure the consumer is informed is the right way to do things, not to pass laws that inherently remove freedom of choice, because it just doesn't work. He also stated that education and freedom are not mutually exclusive goals.

Guys, he's fucking agree with you all. Would you stop taking the piss out of him for it?

Noir

In my first post on this thread i stated very simply that using the law is not the answer.

Noir
05-31-2012, 05:02 PM
Guys, he's fucking agree with you all. Would you stop taking the piss out of him for it?

I was getting genuinely perplexed that no one else was seeing this, thank lawd someone has :salute:

DragonStryk72
05-31-2012, 05:04 PM
That is how liberals see the people

Children who need THEIR supervision so they make the "correct" decisions

I wasn't addressing that, especially not as I sit here with my 2-liter of Dr. Pepper. Noir in fact agreed with you guys, and you tore into him, and that is what I stepped in to point out. He thinks the law is stupid, just like you think its stupid, but he said that simply educating people was a far better method, and got attacked. He had absolutely no way of knowing that our laws here now include having restaurants, coffee shops, and such have to list the calorie count of everything they serve, including the sodas.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 06:09 PM
Um, no. What he specifically said, from all the way over in the UK, is that making sure the consumer is informed is the right way to do things, not to pass laws that inherently remove freedom of choice, because it just doesn't work. He also stated that education and freedom are not mutually exclusive goals.

I'll add this.

Noir isn't an idiot. He's a young guy who doesn't have the benefit of "been there done that" that some of us do; but he posts well, is reasonably informed, and uses facts to back up his opinions.

I mislike seeing him being called an idiot.

Kathianne
05-31-2012, 06:13 PM
I'll add this.

Noir isn't an idiot. He's a young guy who doesn't have the benefit of "been there done that" that some of us do; but he posts well, is reasonably informed, and uses facts to back up his opinions.

I mislike seeing him being called an idiot.

Mislike? WTF is that?

ConHog
05-31-2012, 06:20 PM
Mislike? WTF is that?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mislike

Oh the burden of actually BEING the smartest guy in any room as soon as I enter.:laugh:

Kathianne
05-31-2012, 06:40 PM
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/mislike

Oh the burden of actually BEING the smartest guy in any room as soon as I enter.:laugh:

and yet none of your posts are in middle age English. Go figure. You're a wannabe elitist.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
and yet none of your posts are in middle age English. Go figure. You're a wannabe elitist.

Actually , I'm a big fan of colloquialism and have always sprinkled it through my posts.

Noir
05-31-2012, 06:52 PM

Atlast! A post with no reference to the OP or any of the topic material discussed, rather just gumblings about another user, i knew this thread was missing something...

Kathianne
05-31-2012, 06:53 PM
Atlast! A post with no reference to the OP or any of the topic material discussed, rather just gumblings about another user, i knew this thread was missing something...

Thank you! I aim to please.

darin
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM

I am my kids' keeper. The government governs best when it provides for the common defense and ensures no other folks' freedom negatively impacts mine.

I wrote "We should be free to choose ignorance on what we want to buy/eat"

He wrote "that sounds straight out of orwell"

In fact he DID say what I suggested. Pretty simple, really. :)

ConHog
05-31-2012, 07:04 PM
I am my kids' keeper. The government governs best when it provides for the common defense and ensures no other folks' freedom negatively impacts mine.

I bet/hope he misspoke, surely Noir isn't pro forced education for adults.

If I'm wrong, shame on you Noir.

Noir
05-31-2012, 07:16 PM

If you want to chose ignorance fine, but there appropriate information should be available to those who want to be informed.

Though why anyone would want to be deliberately ignorant of what they are putting into their bodies is beyond me.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 07:19 PM
If you want to chose ignorance fine, but there appropriate information should be available to those who want to be informed.

Though why anyone would want to be deliberately ignorant of what they are putting into their bodies is beyond me.

Anyone in the US who is NOT aware of what they are eating, simply doesn't want to be aware.

DragonStryk72
05-31-2012, 07:37 PM

But its their right to be uneducated, isn't it? So who are you to interfere in their right to be unedeucated? Especially by sending them to school, or homeschooling them? Clearly, you're a facist with your children. Oh, is that taking an impressive amount of spin on what you actually said?

Here is What Noir actually said:

Nowhere did he say "of adults", nor what form that information should take.

This what I have been poking at you for. You "force change" on your kids constantly over time, and decided to take the piss out of Noir, who wasn't even arguing against you. You put no limiters at all, meaning that my above points are technically valid, if clearly warping your point, but then, that was part of my point, that you were warping what he said, creating an argument that didn't exist.

Freedom to be uneducated? Sounds lie something from an Orwell novel.

This was his response to your ridiculous post.

I get we're all a bit ragged from the whole Wind Song thing, but let's not go off the rails, eh?

Now, as to educating people. There's a singficant central problem with this: We already have educated people. It's on every kid's show, every year in school they teach about eating healthy, shows like The Biggest Loser. Hell, they tried to take the cookies away from Cookie Monster on Sesame Street.

Trust me, there is no one getting the X-treme Gulp of Mountain Dew at 7-11 who thinks they've made a healthy choice for their day. It's like Jillian Michaels said, "Everyone knows that an apple is healthier than a snickers". There's no illusion here with soda, so there's nothing to really educate.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 09:21 PM
I'm drinking my 44 oz Dr Pepper from Casey's General Store right now in celebration that I don't live in NYC.

gabosaurus
05-31-2012, 09:23 PM
Liberals LOVE fascism; they love total control and dominion over the population.

Aren't people like you the same way? You want total control over everything. Conservative Republicans want control over everything just as much as liberals. How many times have ConReps in this forum stated that "all liberals should be exterminated."

Bloomberg is an idiot. This thread is just as idiotic.
Every time I read one of these "oh those stupid fascist liberals!" I think of Elmer Fudd chasing Bugs Bunny around, but never catching him. "Ohhhhh, you wascally liberals! I'll get you yet!"

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-31-2012, 09:32 PM
Not all liberals support this kind of bs. I certainly don't. Maybe my own issues with weight have something to do with it. I have been overweight all my life. It's NOT anyone else's fault. It is about me taking in more than my body uses. End of story. With a new doctor to motivate me, I have cut my calorie intake by about half, omitted soda almost entirely (including diet) and have lost 24 pounds in about 2 months. There are plenty of wrong food choices out there for me but there are also plenty of good ones I can make. The thing is, no amount of restrictive legislation would prevent me from being overweight if I didn't choose to change myself.

I was about 20 pounds overweight before I had my heart attack in march 2011. From that time I have went on a major diet, no cokes, no chips , no fast food, no fried foods, no eggs ,bacon , bread..
I went to eating chicken baked, fish baked and lots of veggies etc. Also replaced the cola's with lots of bottled water , unsweetened tea, and cranberry juice..
I've since lost 36 pounds. Feel better and my wife lies to me so well that I actually believe her when she swears THAT I LOOK BETTER.
THAT LADY IS WORTH MORE THAN HER WEIGHT IN RUBIES AND GOLD I TELL YA!--Tyr

gabosaurus
05-31-2012, 09:38 PM
The point should be -- it shouldn't be the government's job to tell us what we can or can't do.
If Bloomberg was to really throw his weight around, have him go around to every fast food restaurant and tell them what they can or can't sell. Then he can go on the subways at night and start telling folks not to eat or drink things he has banned.
I don't know who is more stupid, Bloomberg for continually doing stupid things or NYC voters for keeping him in office.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 09:42 PM
I was about 20 pounds overweight before I had my heart attack in march 2011. From that time I have went on a major diet, no cokes, no chips , no fast food, no fried foods, no eggs ,bacon , bread..
I went to eating chicken baked, fish baked and lots of veggies etc. Also replaced the cola's with lots of bottled water , unsweetened tea, and cranberry juice..
I've since lost 36 pounds. Feel better and my wife lies to me so well that I actually believe her when she swears THAT I LOOK BETTER.
THAT LADY IS WORTH MORE THAN HER WEIGHT IN RUBIES AND GOLD I TELL YA!--Tyr

Hmmm, I eat all the chips I want and drink all the soda I want. Course I also run 5 miles every AM and swim daily in the summer time.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
05-31-2012, 09:51 PM
Hmmm, I eat all the chips I want and drink all the soda I want. Course I also run 5 miles every AM and swim daily in the summer time.

I did much the same back when I was a young dog!
I ran with the big hounds, worked construction and drank like a fool every weekend.
Worked as a bouncer for 16 years. It was all fun!
After one hits fifty ,age starts to take its toll. I was still in great shape and ability until my heart attack 14 months ago at 57.. Not too bad now but the meds I take slow me down a bit.
As long as the bosslady aint complainin' and I can still yell whoopie'like a young dog after a fine """@$$ I'm ok.-:laugh:--Tyr

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
W-T-F, NYC?

[/FONT][/COLOR][/LEFT]

Hey mate, I am a far leftie but I think this sort of thing is crap. What the hell happened to personal responsibility? The only reason people are fat is because they stuff their faces with crap. Nevermind the responsible people who can eat junk food in moderation, we must punish these people for the sake of a few fatties who can't put down a fork.

Sick to death of idiots suggesting that we should raise the price of junk food because that will prevent fat people buying more crap and they will therefore lose weight. Well gee, what a fucking bright idea. We tried that with cigarettes and guess what? People are STILL SMOKING!!!! Granted, not as much as they were, but still.

Stop telling people what they can and cannot eat!!!!

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 10:49 PM
I am sitting here drinking Pepsi Max and eating a chocolate muffin. I wonder how long it will take before the government pokes its nose into MY house and tells me that I cannot eat or drink these things?

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 10:50 PM

Who said ignorance was a strength? People have the freedom to be informed or ignorant. Whatever they choose, it is their choice to use it to make their own decisions ... the government should not decide for them.

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Who said ignorance was a strength? People have the freedom to be informed or ignorant. Whatever they choose, it is their choice to use it to make their own decisions ... the government should not decide for them.

Off topic - but one of the problems with the healthcare system over here is that people can get hugely obese and then demand a taxpayer funded gastric band because they are too lazy to stick to a diet and do some exercise. People can make their own decisions about what they eat, but if that decision later affects me, as a taxpayer, then I have to wonder whether we need to actually change the system itself, or place restrictions on the sale of junk food to the obese.

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 11:04 PM
Off topic - but one of the problems with the healthcare system over here is that people can get hugely obese and then demand a taxpayer funded gastric band because they are too lazy to stick to a diet and do some exercise. People can make their own decisions about what they eat, but if that decision later affects me, as a taxpayer, then I have to wonder whether we need to actually change the system itself, or place restrictions on the sale of junk food to the obese.

Don't put restrictions on what they eat ... it's their choice. The lap band operation should not be funded by the government. Government should not dictate what we eat, and government should not be held responsible for what we eat. Get fat - either get thinner soon or die.

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Don't put restrictions on what they eat ... it's their choice. The lap band operation should not be funded by the government. Government should not dictate what we eat, and government should not be held responsible for what we eat. Get fat - either get thinner soon or die.

But, but - they CAN'T get thinner! I mean, they try dieting, but diets don't work! They just can't resist cakes and chocolate and snacks and have to keep gorging themselves and blaming fast food companies for their massive weight gain! Seriously, if there wasn't a McDonalds down the road, they wouldn't walk there everyday and eat Big Macs and cheeseburgers! Its Macca's fault they are fat, and they should sue!!! Really, lets break out the violins and play a mournful tune to let these people know we feel so sorry for them and the fact that they can't stop stuffing their faces!!!!

:laugh:

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 11:11 PM
But, but - they CAN'T get thinner! I mean, they try dieting, but diets don't work! They just can't resist cakes and chocolate and snacks and have to keep gorging themselves and blaming fast food companies for their massive weight gain! Seriously, if there wasn't a McDonalds down the road, they wouldn't walk there everyday and eat Big Macs and cheeseburgers! Its Macca's fault they are fat, and they should sue!!! Really, lets break out the violins and play a mournful tune to let these people know we feel so sorry for them and the fact that they can't stop stuffing their faces!!!!

I'm OK with them saying/feeling/doing all of the above. Just don't make it the responsibility of the government to take care of their bad choices.

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 11:12 PM
Think he will apologize and rescind the ban?

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Coca-Cola Co and McDonald's Corp fired back at New York City Mayor,Michael Bloomberg on Thursday for proposing a ban of large-sized soft drinks at restaurants and other food service outlets.

"New Yorkers expect and deserve better than this. They can make their own choices about the beverages they purchase," Coca-Cola said in a statement.

The world's largest soft-drink maker, which would also be disproportionately affected by such a ban, said it already includes calorie counts on the front of its bottles and cans in New York and that restaurants already post the calorie content of all their offerings and portion sizes, including soft drinks.

The statement from Coke comes a day after Mayor Bloomberg said he was proposing an amendment to the city's health code to prohibit food service outlets from selling sugary soft drinks larger than 16 ounces.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/coke-fires-back-proposed-nyc-big-soda-ban-160719820--sector.html

ConHog
05-31-2012, 11:25 PM
I did much the same back when I was a young dog!
I ran with the big hounds, worked construction and drank like a fool every weekend.
Worked as a bouncer for 16 years. It was all fun!
After one hits fifty ,age starts to take its toll. I was still in great shape and ability until my heart attack 14 months ago at 57.. Not too bad now but the meds I take slow me down a bit.
As long as the bosslady aint complainin' and I can still yell whoopie'like a young dog after a fine """@$$ I'm ok.-:laugh:--Tyr

Im 41. My 27 year old wife , two 19 yo sons and 6 year old daughter keep me young. Oh and my wife has a bun in the oven.

Noir
06-01-2012, 03:16 AM
I'm drinking my 44 oz Dr Pepper from Casey's General Store right now in celebration that I don't live in NYC.

44oz of dr pepper? That 150 grams of sugar straight to your body...the daily recomamdation is to keep sugars bellow 40 grams...are you trying to get diabeties by intention?

darin
06-01-2012, 03:40 AM

No...you're saying FORCE information upon people who don't want it, or don't seek it. I'm saying, despite the information telling me otherwise, I bought an un-healthy car because the car FEELS good - the fact Jeremy Clarkson loved it...that was good too. :)

Transposed car and big-gulp. :)

logroller
06-01-2012, 04:28 AM
44oz of dr pepper? That 150 grams of sugar straight to your body...the daily recomamdation is to keep sugars bellow 40 grams...are you trying to get diabeties by intention?

He also runs 5 miles a day; during which a 200 lb man would burn ~600 calories-- so it's a wash. Not to mention his baby-making exercises, but that's only 2 minutes.:lol:

Noir
06-01-2012, 05:58 AM
No...you're saying FORCE information upon people who don't want it, or don't seek it. I'm saying, despite the information telling me otherwise, I bought an un-healthy car because the car FEELS good - the fact Jeremy Clarkson loved it...that was good too. :)

Transposed car and big-gulp. :)

Where have i said anyone should be forced to do anything? You're still too wrapped up in your own argument to see that i've basically been agreeing with you =/

darin
06-01-2012, 06:02 AM
Where have i said anyone should be forced to do anything? You're still too wrapped up in your own argument to see that i've basically been agreeing with you =/

Naw, you're not agreeing. You're still believing my desire for personal responsibilty and freedom = orwellian. And as far as I can tell you still want to say its the duty of the gov to 'ensure' people are informed. AND you still contend 'informed' people make the choice the gov't wants them to make.

Unless i've convinced you those are terrible beliefs. :)

Noir
06-01-2012, 06:03 AM
He also runs 5 miles a day; during which a 200 lb man would burn ~600 calories-- so it's a wash. Not to mention his baby-making exercises, but that's only 2 minutes.:lol:

He can run as much as he likes, if he's getting hit with 400% of his RDA sugar *before* you add anything else he's had over the day his health will suffer.

Noir
06-01-2012, 06:12 AM
Naw, you're not agreeing. You're still believing my desire for personal responsibilty and freedom = orwellian. And as far as I can tell you still want to say its the duty of the gov to 'ensure' people are informed. AND you still contend 'informed' people make the choice the gov't wants them to make.

Unless i've convinced you those are terrible beliefs. :)

'Law is not the answer, education is' Now why would you take from that, that i mean 'Education should be mandated by law/forced by government?''
Law/Government is *not* the answer. An educated citizen is.

Will the educated citizen make bad choices? Ofcourse, and when they do, who cares, it's their health that suffers, though folk like me can't help but enquire with interest as to why people would make intentionally stupid choices.

darin
06-01-2012, 06:20 AM
'Law is not the answer, education is' Now why would you take from that, that i mean 'Education should be mandated by law/forced by government?''
Law/Government is *not* the answer. An educated citizen is.

Will the educated citizen make bad choices? Ofcourse, and when they do, who cares, it's their health that suffers, though folk like me can't help but enquire with interest as to why people would make intentionally stupid choices.

education isn't the answer, either. There's no answer because humans regularly choose to participate in any sort of dangerous/unhealthy behaviour. IF education was the answer we'd have no 'progressives' in our government, no homosexuality, no crime, etc., because educating them on the errors of their thinking would WORK, and people would choose healthy alternatives to their thinking/lifestyle/etc.

logroller
06-01-2012, 07:27 AM
Irk
He can run as much as he likes, if he's getting hit with 400% of his RDA sugar *before* you add anything else he's had over the day his health will suffer.

Not necessarily. You speak to things as though the human body is machine; that it's predictable in every respect. It's simply not. You're drawing conclusions absent all the facts; it's as naive as it is arrogant. For example, I'll bet he had ice in fountain drink; likely displacing 30% or more. And who's to say he even finished it.

I'm glad that you've found a diet that works for you; but your way is not the only way. There are pleasures of life, unique to the individual; you'd do well explore your own, and allow others to do the same. Proselytizing doesnt educate, it indoctrinates.

CSM
06-01-2012, 07:43 AM
education isn't the answer, either. There's no answer because humans regularly choose to participate in any sort of dangerous/unhealthy behaviour. IF education was the answer we'd have no 'progressives' in our government, no homosexuality, no crime, etc., because educating them on the errors of their thinking would WORK, and people would choose healthy alternatives to their thinking/lifestyle/etc.

The world is full of educated, obese, hard drinking, smoking, drugged people. Don't even get me started about educated unwed mothers with STDs either, not to mention pedophiles etc. It's not like any of the aforementioned "didn't know".

darin
06-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Irk

Not necessarily. You speak to things as though the human body is machine; that it's predictable in every respect. It's simply not. You're drawing conclusions absent all the facts; it's as naive as it is arrogant. For example, I'll bet he had ice in fountain drink; likely displacing 30% or more. And who's to say he even finished it.

I'm glad that you've found a diet that works for you; but your way is not the only way. There are pleasures of life, unique to the individual; you'd do well explore your own, and allow others to do the same. Proselytizing doesnt educate, it indoctrinates.

No! ONE WAY, friend. There's ONE way. Noir's way. :)

"studies have shown" is perhaps the most-damaging phrase in the language

Voted4Reagan
06-01-2012, 07:58 AM
I always say the road to Hell is paved with liberals

no... it isnt paved with Liberals...

Just all the rules and regulations they put on us to make our lives hell....

Voted4Reagan
06-01-2012, 08:00 AM
No! ONE WAY, friend. There's ONE way. Noir's way. :)

"studies have shown" is perhaps the most-damaging phrase in the language

I have always been of the opinion that the term STUDIES HAVE SHOWN should immediately be followed by a link to the Study or Statistic youre about to cite...

darin
06-01-2012, 08:06 AM
I have always been of the opinion that the term STUDIES HAVE SHOWN should immediately be followed by a link to the Study or Statistic youre about to cite...

Wouldn't help because most people dont want to know how to interpret data. There are how many types of lies, according to Mark Twain? Lies...Damn Lies...and Statistics.

We revert to "The Average" - "The average so-and-so is this, so that means we must make a LAW!"

Look, friends...in stats, the average almost never happens. The average does NOT mean 'most'. Most of the data is moving towards double the average, or retreating from the average. Yet..."The average" and "studies have shown" are responsible for more freedom-removing laws/regulations/policies than anything I can think of.

ConHog
06-01-2012, 08:55 AM

I'd put my health against your health any day of the week Noir. Even at my advanced age.

My body is fine tuned to what I eat versus what I burn off. Sugar is bad for you mostly because of calories. I burn the hell out of calories. I don't smoke, I don't do drugs, I rarely drink any alcohol and I exercise A LOT.

I'm 41. I'm 6' 205 lbs. Standing heart rate of 65 BPM. my total cholesterol is 178. my body fat is 16%.

I bet I could right now pass the Army PT exam to graduate from boot camp if I needed to.

Oh, and I damn sure know I enjoy my meals more than you do. Tonight is steak and mashed potatoes. Might even have a beer or two.

darin
06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I bet I could right now pass the Army PT exam to graduate from boot camp if I needed to.

...except the Army doesn't HAVE "Boot Camp" :)

BCT.

Basic.

Basic Training.

Those are the only acceptable terms.

Oh...and..PT "Exam"? Exam??? PT Test. APFT. Only two acceptable terms.

Carry-on.

:D

ConHog
06-01-2012, 10:03 AM

BCT.

Basic.

Basic Training.

Carry-on.

you and God and everyone else knows that the terms I used are perfectly acceptable terms.

darin
06-01-2012, 10:17 AM
you and God and everyone else knows that the terms I used are perfectly acceptable terms.

You say "everyone knows the terms I used are acceptable"

I say

Simmadown-now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9LxxGQ1Cs

DragonStryk72
06-01-2012, 10:26 AM

Oh that's nothing. On our side of the pond, we have the X-Treme Gulp, a refillable 64 oz. travel mug, and for $1, you can refill if at any 7-11 through their soda fountains. They're actually fairly popular

DragonStryk72
06-01-2012, 10:27 AM

BCT.

Basic.

Basic Training.

Carry-on.

Navy, it's called Boot, and PRT. Get them right

ConHog
06-01-2012, 11:13 AM
Navy, it's called Boot, and PRT. Get them right

potato po tat to i say

Thunderknuckles
06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
That's what you get Conhog for messing with other historians and smart asses :p

ConHog
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
That's what you get Conhog for messing with other historians and smart asses :p

Obviously lol and it's all good. I can take what I dish out.:laugh2:

Abbey Marie
06-01-2012, 12:23 PM
our children. Oh, is that taking an impressive

Trust me, there is no one getting the X-treme Gulp of Mountain Dew at 7-11 who thinks they've made a healthy choice for their day. It's like Jillian Michaels said, "Everyone knows that an apple is healthier than a snickers". There's no illusion here with soda, so there's nothing to really educate.

Oh, I dunno. I think the endorphins I get from eating chocolate are very good for me. ;)

Abbey Marie
06-01-2012, 12:25 PM

I think jaw wiring is cheaper than lap band surgery. :laugh2:

darin
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh, I dunno. I think the endorphins I get from eating chocolate reading dmp's posts, and seeing his pics are very good for me. ;)

Fixed that for you, dear.

Abbey Marie
06-01-2012, 12:27 PM
The world is full of educated, obese, hard drinking, smoking, drugged people. Don't even get me started about educated unwed mothers with STDs either, not to mention pedophiles etc. It's not like any of the aforementioned "didn't know".

Our urges to be fulfilled, with food, sex, etc., can easily override our intellect...

DragonStryk72
06-01-2012, 02:26 PM
Oh, I dunno. I think the endorphins I get from eating chocolate are very good for me. ;)

Good, but not "healthier", lol. I love snickers, personally.

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 02:46 PM
As a resident of NY for 17 years and a long time worker in NYC, I am embarrassed by some of the shit that goes on here, politically speaking. This is another example, and then Bloomberg the idiot goes out today to support "National Donut Day" where Entenmann's was going to have 2 foot donuts!

NYC wants to limit so many things "for our good" and then allow the weirdest shit in the world to be ok at other times. You can go visit perhaps the worlds largest gay pride parade, with asses, partial nudity, cross dressing and a lot of other family type activities - but in the future you won't be able to watch such stuff with a big 'ol soda in your hands! WTF?

Still proud to be a NY'er, but I turn my head in disgust at 97% of the politicians here and a lot of the nutjobs in the City.

(I hope I'm not offending the other NY'ers here, I'm speaking in general!)

DragonStryk72
06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
As a resident of NY for 17 years and a long time worker in NYC, I am embarrassed by some of the shit that goes on here, politically speaking. This is another example, and then Bloomberg the idiot goes out today to support "National Donut Day" where Entenmann's was going to have 2 foot donuts!

NYC wants to limit so many things "for our good" and then allow the weirdest shit in the world to be ok at other times. You can go visit perhaps the worlds largest gay pride parade, with asses, partial nudity, cross dressing and a lot of other family type activities - but in the future you won't be able to watch such stuff with a big 'ol soda in your hands! WTF?

Still proud to be a NY'er, but I turn my head in disgust at 97% of the politicians here and a lot of the nutjobs in the City.

no offense taken, Jim. NY is getting politically stupid, like a few years ago when they tried to ban smoking in all public buildings without considering that we have winter here. They want to look like they're "doing something", and it just creates more problems than it will ever solve.

Abbey Marie
06-01-2012, 03:36 PM
Good, but not "healthier", lol. I love snickers, personally.

A relaxed, happy state of mind seems healthier for me. Lowered blood pressure/stress means less work for the heart, etc.

Nell's Room
06-02-2012, 03:21 AM
I think jaw wiring is cheaper than lap band surgery. :laugh2:

I think that if we denied them medical treatment they might lose weight.

But my real, honest opinion on the morbidly obese is that we should put them in a kind of concentration camp and make them work all day and feed them rations. They'd lose weight for sure.

But I would be considered horrible and the Jewish community would accuse me of harboring hatred toward them for even mentioning the words 'concentration camp'.

SassyLady
06-02-2012, 03:44 AM
I think that if we denied them medical treatment they might lose weight.

But my real, honest opinion on the morbidly obese is that we should put them in a kind of concentration camp and make them work all day and feed them rations. They'd lose weight for sure.

But I would be considered horrible and the Jewish community would accuse me of harboring hatred toward them for even mentioning the words 'concentration camp'.

Well, I suppose if you truly felt that putting them into some type of camp, you could say "boot camp" instead. That way you wouldn't have to worry about offending the Jewish community and it would still get the point across.

logroller
06-02-2012, 04:30 AM
Well, I suppose if you truly felt that putting them into some type of camp, you could say "boot camp" instead. That way you wouldn't have to worry about offending the Jewish community and it would still get the point across.

Since "boot camp" is undesignated according to DMP, that's all good. Though concentration camps did experience greater weight loss than any other camp I can think of.

SassyLady
06-02-2012, 05:02 AM
Since "boot camp" is undesignated according to DMP, that's all good. Though concentration camps did experience greater weight loss than any other camp I can think of.

Boot camp is Army I thought.

If the goal is to make someone healthier, then I would send to Boot Camp. Not only does one lose weight, but they put on muscle and develop healthier lungs and heart. Going to concentration camp is not healthy.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-02-2012, 07:27 AM
Some Americans are too fat. Some are way too lazy. Some are way too crazy.
Guess what folks? Freedom allows for all of that and if it doesnt its not the freedom that our Founders intended when they risked life and limb to establish this great nation! If I want to eat chocolate cake every morning for my breakfast thats my damn business not anybody else's , certainly not the government.
HAHA, used that example because I just had a large slice of my wife's chocolate cake and left her with a teeny tiny slice..:beer:
She hates that and I got to irritate her at least once a day or else she asks me if I am sick..--Tyr

Gaffer
06-02-2012, 09:46 AM
Boot camp is Army I thought.

If the goal is to make someone healthier, then I would send to Boot Camp. Not only does one lose weight, but they put on muscle and develop healthier lungs and heart. Going to concentration camp is not healthy.

Just so ya know. Boot camp is Navy and Marine, Basic is Army and Air Force. :thumb:

4horsemenrule
06-07-2012, 03:34 AM

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/gv060612dAPR20120606044521.jpg