PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide where to live?

gabosaurus
05-31-2012, 09:31 PM
I was listening to some co-workers talking about this today. Some decided for themselves, others had it decided for them.

My husband and I chose Huntington Beach because it was convenient to where we worked, was close to the beach and has some of the best schools in the state.
The only downside is that the cost of living is very expensive. But the closer you get to the ocean, the more you are going to pay for everything. Starting with housing.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 09:37 PM
I was listening to some co-workers talking about this today. Some decided for themselves, others had it decided for them.

My husband and I chose Huntington Beach because it was convenient to where we worked, was close to the beach and has some of the best schools in the state.
The only downside is that the cost of living is very expensive. But the closer you get to the ocean, the more you are going to pay for everything. Starting with housing.

I used to live by the beach. I have a cousin that lives in San Diego who still wants me out there. No thanks. Best thing my dad ever did was get us out of CA.

After HS I CHOSE to stay in Arkansas for many reasons.

Here are a few.

1. My nearest neighbor is my parents and live 1/2 mile from me
2. I LOVE being able to see the stars at night
3. The people are generally speaking much friendlier than in other places
4. The Ozark Mountains can't be beat for scenery
5. I generally dislike people, so being in a small town suits me
6. My family is here

aboutime
05-31-2012, 09:44 PM
The navy decided where we would live. All East coast. As a Pennsylvania boy. The closest I ever got to the ocean was Wildwood, New Jersey during the Summer months.
I am thankful for never being assigned duty on the West Coast. I spent a full year in San Diego at Radioman A school, and several others in the early 80's.
It was too expensive then. So I can only imagine how it is now. After hearing about California's BROWN DEBT problems. It's a wonder anyone who speaks English...other than those in Hollyweird, is still there to pay the high taxes.
For those who live there. Remember. There are 49 other places you can live. Or, if you are an Obama fan. There are 56 other places to go.

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 10:00 PM
Northern CA - in the middle of mountains and the ocean; less than one hour from military facility and major airports.

Dilloduck
05-31-2012, 10:03 PM
I thought Earth was my only choice.

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 10:41 PM
I thought Earth was my only choice.

Narrow it down Dillo. Some of us actually look down at our feet once in awhile and relish in the details, rather than the broad picture.

logroller
05-31-2012, 10:53 PM
Both my wife's and my family live here; we love free babysitting. It's relatively affordable too, newer home (3 yrs old) in a nice neighborhood with top ranking schools and low crime for $86/ sq ft.

Hey CH; I'm guessing your reason #5 is mutual.:laugh:

ConHog
05-31-2012, 10:59 PM
Both my wife's and my family live here; we love free babysitting. It's relatively affordable too, newer home (3 yrs old) in a nice neighborhood with top ranking schools and low crime for $86/ sq ft.

Hey CH; I'm guessing your reason #5 is mutual.:laugh:

Prolly right. Lol

darin
06-01-2012, 04:47 AM
I followed the work; but I want a place with as much liberty as possible - especially regarding 2nd amendment rights. I also wanted 4 real seasons.

But i've lived lots of places. Within each place I found beauty and goodness. I think I could be happy most any place that gets snow in the winter, and has nice summers.

I loved Germany - landscape, history, culture, women, wine, driving laws/practices. Great things.
I loved Korea - landscape, culture, women, OB Beer
I loved Western WA - For the two months a year its not raining - for those two months there is no more-beautiful place on the planet. The food, wine, women, no state income-tax (yet).
I loved LA - Flat, but pretty (just like I like my women), WIDE open spaces. Good-ol'-folk. Great Food.

I hated a few things about each place too. Now, living out in the Thumb of michigan I get a lot of great 2nd amendment protections- and even getting better. I get four seasons. Low cost of living because of the unemployment - EXCEPT I have to deal with inflated prices on services, thanks in part to big-labor domination. I like the diversity, too.