PDA

View Full Version : NY Court Rules Calling Someone Gay Isn't Slander

SassyLady
05-31-2012, 11:09 PM
Fyi:

albany, n.y. (ap) — a court says it's no longer slander in new york to falsely call someone gay.

a mid-level appeals court on thursday wiped out decades of rulings, including its own, to say that society no longer treats false comments that someone is gay, lesbian or bisexual as defamation. Without defamation, there is no longer slander, the court ruled."these appellate division decisions are inconsistent with current public policy and should no longer be followed," stated the unanimous decision written by justice thomas mercure of the appellate division's third department based in albany. While the decision sets new case law in new york now, it could still go to a definitive ruling by the state's highest court, the court of appeals.the new york decision finds that the comment is now "based on a false premise that it is shameful and disgraceful to be described as lesbian, gay or bisexual."
http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2012/05/31/us/ap-us-court-gay-slander.html?_r=2&hp

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 11:14 PM
Hmm...

If someone is falsely labeled a homosexual via a hateful rumor, and this rumor destroys their friendships and possibly their employment opportunities, that should be seen as slander and charges should be laid.

But simply saying that John down the road is gay is not really that harmful.
I remember at school, we used to refer to things we disliked as being 'gay'. Gay meaning they were stupid, or boring. Example - 'Maths is so gay/Mr. Johnson is such a gay teacher' which really meant we hated Maths and that Mr Johnson was a shitty teacher.

People need to stop being so offended over simple words.

ConHog
05-31-2012, 11:22 PM
A win for windy. Gay is no longer a slanderous slur.

Nell's Room
05-31-2012, 11:26 PM
A win for windy. Gay is no longer a slanderous slur.

Hey Con, you're gay!:laugh: Now sue me for slander!:coffee:

logroller
05-31-2012, 11:38 PM
CH is more of a flamer.:flameth:

logroller
06-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Hey Con, you're gay!:laugh: Now sue me for slander!:coffee:

Btw. It's not slander if it's true.:lol: