PDA

View Full Version : The Green Lantern is gay

Thunderknuckles
06-01-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/06/01/dc-comics-green-lantern-is-now-gay/

Nice move DC comics. Take a character and turn him gay just to throw a bone to the homosexual community? You couldn't just make one up?
:upyours:

Up next...Superman is actually a transvestite.

darin
06-01-2012, 10:00 AM
Nasty. I'll never choose to buy or support that company...unless it means not-seeing Avengers...cuz that looks pretty wicked-cool.

Course, in future movies, if the character is gay, I'll avoid watching.

Noir
06-01-2012, 10:20 AM
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/06/01/dc-comics-green-lantern-is-now-gay/

Nice move DC comics. Take a character and turn him gay just to throw a bone to the homosexual community? You couldn't just make one up?

Erm, they did just make one up.

Thunderknuckles
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
No, they re-branded an old one.

DragonStryk72
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM

Okay, speaking as a huge comic book geek- This is moronic. They're completely divorcing Green Lantern's character from his sexuality, which just flat wrong. It's like trying to say that Jim's wife doesn't make up a significant part of who he his.

Dear God, I hate pandering, especially when they rip apart beloved characters in order to do it. This doesn't add anything to the character's depth, and it takes a bunch away at the same time. They just killed any real chance of Alan Scott having that family that they say was the very reason they considered this. You know, I actually liked the fact the Alan Scott was straight, but had a gay son? It was an interesting story point that gave us a much needed look into a situation that gave our hero added depth. It gave so many wonderful story ideas and possible direction.

DC's done this before, though, with Batwoman. However, in the case of Batwoman, it was much more well done, introducing a new character who just happened to be a lesbian, as opposed to rewriting a long time character. Batwoman, for point of information, was one of the costumed types who cropped up back in the original 52, when Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman decided to take a step back from the world after the events of Infinite Crisis.

Avengers is a Marvel title, not DC. In general, Marvel handles this reams better than DC does. They generally introduce a new character if they want to add subtext of one sort or another to the story, as opposed to making a recurring character flip like there's a "gay/straight" switch on their back. The closest they came was Beast started considering going over to men, but they pulled out of that plotline, and the reason that Beast had considered it was that, due to his bestial appearance, he wasn't exactly a magnet to the ladies, and so, not wanting to die alone, it started causing issue with his sexual identity. It was honestly a truly brilliant story that didn't fall into the cookie cutter that most of these things end up in.

ConHog
06-01-2012, 11:20 AM

This doesn't come as any real surprise , I mean LOOK at that dude, but WTF?

But gays already had super heroes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEAYcR8w_tE

hjmick
06-01-2012, 07:46 PM
This really doesn't bother me and I'll tell you why...

There have been five Green Lanterns, not counting Jade. The idea that one of them might be gay, not out of the realm of possibilities.

Now, had they outed Batman or Superman...

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 08:15 PM
Discovering that the Green Lantern is Gay is akin to discovering that Rock Hudson was gay.

Noir
06-01-2012, 08:47 PM
No, they re-branded an old one.

As in they took a made up character, and made him up differently.

Also must make a note of sending some fan fiction your way, i'm sure you'd love =p

DragonStryk72
06-02-2012, 12:12 AM
As in they took a made up character, and made him up differently.

Also must make a note of sending some fan fiction your way, i'm sure you'd love =p

So if they went through and made Romeo gay, it wouldn't sort of change Romeo & Juliet?

There's actually less excuse for making Alan Scott gay all of the sudden, since they could have simply named a new Green Lantern with no issue, especially in the wake of the Lantern War, where numerous other Green Lanterns died.

Voted4Reagan
06-02-2012, 10:01 AM
Actually...DC is making Superman RENOUNCE HIS AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP and is trying to redo the phrase TRUTH,JUSTICE and THE AMERICAN WAY. So that it doesn't include references to America.

Mamby Pamby Liberal weenies always have to ruin established institutions because they feel it's hurting someone elses feelings...

TOO FLIPPING BAD!!! Let Europe, South America and the rest of the world come up with their own Characters...

I hope this backfires and all these companies go belly up...

Then it'll be back to basics...

jimnyc
06-02-2012, 10:05 AM
Wasn't there recently a push to make one of the Sesame Street members gay? I'm confused on why a gay character needs to be in every show and everything that we teach to our kids. I'm not going to go outside my house daily and involve myself in any type of gay bashing, but I still don't think it's something we should be touting as the next best thing and something we should be teaching toddlers and children.

PostmodernProphet
06-02-2012, 10:15 AM
my advice to the Green Lantern is, do not stand next to the Hulk......

Noir
06-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Actually...DC is making Superman RENOUNCE HIS AMERICAN CITIZENSHIP and is trying to redo the phrase TRUTH,JUSTICE and THE AMERICAN WAY. So that it doesn't include references to America.

Mamby Pamby Liberal weenies always have to ruin established institutions because they feel it's hurting someone elses feelings...

TOO FLIPPING BAD!!! Let Europe, South America and the rest of the world come up with their own Characters...

I hope this backfires and all these companies go belly up...

Then it'll be back to basics...

That's superman, the illegal alien, right? ;D

Noir
06-02-2012, 10:24 AM
So if they went through and made Romeo gay, it wouldn't sort of change Romeo & Juliet?

There's actually less excuse for making Alan Scott gay all of the sudden, since they could have simply named a new Green Lantern with no issue, especially in the wake of the Lantern War, where numerous other Green Lanterns died.

If they changed juliet to a man, then no, it would change very little. I mean, that would probably be a modern version of R&J, because class bounds aren't what they use to be, certainly not as much as the idea of gay lovers in some american states.

So like, two men or woman, who find each other, fall in love, but both being pulled away from each other by their families who hate each other and want their sons/duaghters to be 'normal' and straight etc etc. Seems reasonable.

PostmodernProphet
06-02-2012, 10:34 AM
I think the whole thing is a massive marketing mistake.....look at the average comic book store demographic.....is a gay Green Lantern going to turn homosexuals into comicbook store geeks?......they should have brought out a lesbian superhero.....now THAT would have increased sales among people who buy comic books.....

Voted4Reagan
06-02-2012, 11:14 AM
That's superman, the illegal alien, right? ;D

in a word....NO.

Superman was adopted by the Kent's and raised from infancy as an American. He never crossed a border illegally of his own free will. He has a birth Certificate, social Security card and he pays his taxes working for the DAILY PLANET.

Illegal Aliens usually make their way across our borders of their own free will....work here illegally and send their money back to the third world without paying taxes. They are a huge percentage of the users of government services and cost legal citizens and resident Aliens BILLIONS a year.

So no... your snarky comment trying to portray Superman as an illegal alien is bogus. As are most liberal positions....

Noir
06-02-2012, 11:26 AM
in a word....NO.

Superman was adopted by the Kent's and raised from infancy as an American. He never crossed a border illegally of his own free will. He has a birth Certificate, social Security card and he pays his taxes working for the DAILY PLANET.

Illegal Aliens usually make their way across our borders of their own free will....work here illegally and send their money back to the third world without paying taxes. They are a huge percentage of the users of government services and cost legal citizens and resident Aliens BILLIONS a year.

So no... your snarky comment trying to portray Superman as an illegal alien is bogus. As are most liberal positions....

I've never read anywhere that he as a birth certificate, i know in earlier comics that he was originally in an orphanage before the Kents adopted him, and that in the Smallvile series it was Luthor who forged Clark a SS number and Birth Certificate, where'd you read that he had them?

ConHog
06-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Wasn't there recently a push to make one of the Sesame Street members gay? I'm confused on why a gay character needs to be in every show and everything that we teach to our kids. I'm not going to go outside my house daily and involve myself in any type of gay bashing, but I still don't think it's something we should be touting as the next best thing and something we should be teaching toddlers and children.

I bet youre pissed about being outed as the green lantern. :lol:

WiccanLiberal
06-02-2012, 12:15 PM
Gee. The Green Lantern movie was out last year and is currently running on cable. Gay issues are in the media. Comic book companies, like any other business, want to sell product. Probably thought they would make themselves a whole new market. All it is likely to do is lose them their prior audience. Comic book readers, like many other brand loyal consumers, don't like a lot of change. There have been several gay comic book heroes and villains so this isn't even a new idea. I don't think it helps LGBT issues and I don't think it will help DC's bottom line.

jimnyc
06-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I bet youre pissed about being outed as the green lantern. :lol:

I didn't like the green lantern before this. The recent movie sucked too. For that fact, you suck too.

DragonStryk72
06-02-2012, 02:02 PM
If they changed juliet to a man, then no, it would change very little. I mean, that would probably be a modern version of R&J, because class bounds aren't what they use to be, certainly not as much as the idea of gay lovers in some american states.

So like, two men or woman, who find each other, fall in love, but both being pulled away from each other by their families who hate each other and want their sons/duaghters to be 'normal' and straight etc etc. Seems reasonable.

No, no just the one character. Every one else is exactly the same, and we're supposed to continue along the same plotline like nothing's really changed, and then in about a year or so, they completely rewrite again because the entire readership has called foul. That's how DC treats it, like being being gay is nothing more than an on/off switch.

DragonStryk72
06-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Gee. The Green Lantern movie was out last year and is currently running on cable. Gay issues are in the media. Comic book companies, like any other business, want to sell product. Probably thought they would make themselves a whole new market. All it is likely to do is lose them their prior audience. Comic book readers, like many other brand loyal consumers, don't like a lot of change. There have been several gay comic book heroes and villains so this isn't even a new idea. I don't think it helps LGBT issues and I don't think it will help DC's bottom line.

They'd have done far better to return to Batwoman with some fresh comics, and beef up her role in Gotham, since she was already a lesbian to begin with, and an interesting character that DC fans were already interested in.

Noir
06-02-2012, 02:10 PM
No, no just the one character. Every one else is exactly the same, and we're supposed to continue along the same plotline like nothing's really changed, and then in about a year or so, they completely rewrite again because the entire readership has called foul. That's how DC treats it, like being being gay is nothing more than an on/off switch.

The difference being that R&J is a story about two people who are attracted to each other, changing that dynamic totally changes the story. The story of the Green Lantern does not centre on his hetrosexual relationships.

DragonStryk72
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
The difference being that R&J is a story about two people who are attracted to each other, changing that dynamic totally changes the story. The story of the Green Lantern does not centre on his hetrosexual relationships.

It does, however, center on his relationship to his wife, children, and gay son in the comic as being a huge part of what make him who he is. So again, DC believes that being gay is just an on/off switch.

ConHog
06-02-2012, 02:15 PM
hold up...

Batwoman is a lesbian?

Noir
06-02-2012, 02:17 PM
It does, however, center on his relationship to his wife, children, and gay son in the comic as being a huge part of what make him who he is. So again, DC believes that being gay is just an on/off switch.

and they've decide to open a different spectrum wherein the Alan Scott is gay which will involve different interactions with characters that you will know. Its pretty clear they are not tying the two realities together, if they were could be some problems, and at the very least he'd have to be branded as bi, not gay.

Noir
06-02-2012, 02:20 PM
hold up...

Batwoman is a lesbian?

Yeah that was like half a dozen years ago, old stories had a thing between batman and batwoman, but more recently she was rebranded a Jewish Lesbian.

DragonStryk72
06-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Yeah that was like half a dozen years ago, old stories had a thing between batman and batwoman, but more recently she was rebranded a Jewish Lesbian.

Actually, it was an entire different person behind the cowl, so that there was actually the ability to accept that part. That was sort of the good thing as far as the "bat disciples" went, is that you could put a new person behind the mask to change the direction.

hjmick
06-02-2012, 11:29 PM
The Green Arrow is gay.

Nell's Room
06-03-2012, 01:03 AM

No one needs to make a Sesame Street member gay. We already know that Big Bird is a raging homosexual!

Come on now, you mean you just couldn't tell? Its written all over his furry yellow face!:laugh2:

DragonStryk72
06-03-2012, 02:52 AM
The Green Arrow is gay.

Well, gay as in stupid, but he's actually been hooking up with Black Canary, so he's not putting from the rough:

fj1200
06-03-2012, 09:45 PM
hold up...

Batwoman is a lesbian?

Hold up...

There's a Batwoman?

06-03-2012, 11:56 PM
Hold up...

There's a Batwoman?

Yeah there is. Not very popular IMHO.

And did they make one of original four gay or did they just get a gay green lattern?

They should have gone with the obvious: Aquaman.....

Come to think of it, don't most DC characters have some association with homosexuality? I mean Batman & Robin, Aquaman, now Green Lantern. Heck. Even Superman and Lex Luthor had a son together, though that was more Lex's doing and didnt involve sex, but still.

DragonStryk72
06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Yeah there is. Not very popular IMHO.

And did they make one of original four gay or did they just get a gay green lattern?

They should have gone with the obvious: Aquaman.....

Come to think of it, don't most DC characters have some association with homosexuality? I mean Batman & Robin, Aquaman, now Green Lantern. Heck. Even Superman and Lex Luthor had a son together, though that was more Lex's doing and didnt involve sex, but still.

except that Aquaman is lord of Atlantis, and married. The batman & robin was more just fan supposition due to the silliness of the robin costume, but yeah.

My bigger problem with this whole run is just how horribly contrived it all is. you can tell it isn't really about Alan Scott, or even really homosexuals, but just a "huge shakeup". It seems that DC still hasnt actually learned their lesson yet on why people aren't really reading comics as much anymore. Too many comic books these days, both on Marvel and DC, have no status quo at all, becasue they're always "shaking things up", or they're running another whole universe crossover event again. They need to settle down, and let their characters have some breathing room.