PDA

View Full Version : Forum Suggestion

ConHog
06-01-2012, 11:40 AM
I would like a sub forum on JUST the US Constitution.

A forum where we would discuss not just our opinions on what the COTUS presently says but also where we would discuss what we WISH it said.

I know a lot of our current threads end up talking about such things anyway, but I would like a forum where that is the focus. IE if we're discussing whether abortion is a constitutionally protected right, THAT is what we discuss without meandering into whether abortion is right or wrong.

If that makes sense.

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 06:59 PM
I've got no issue with a COTUS/SCOTUS (of course many case will be constitutionally related). But lets ensure there is a need and a community desire. But creating it will be the easy part

If I get a "2nd" and a "3rd" on the motion, I will create. If it dies out down the road the posts can always be merged to another forum.

ConHog
06-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I've got no issue with a COTUS/SCOTUS (of course many case will be constitutionally related). But lets ensure there is a need and a community desire. But creating it will be the easy part

If I get a "2nd" and a "3rd" on the motion, I will create. If it dies out down the road the posts can always be merged to another forum.

Obviously I don't expect a forum to be created just for me, and how boring that would be, but I would LOVE to see it happen.

Vote people.

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 07:03 PM
And while discussing forums, and perhaps a new one that could see some use - please everyone let me know if you think any of our current forums in the line-up are useless or overkill. I'm game to mixing things up a tad, but the majority of forums we have are based on community feedback.

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 07:10 PM
I think it would be interesting. Perhaps a sticky with the Constitution so the entire text is ready and available for reference.

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 07:11 PM
And while discussing forums, and perhaps a new one that could see some use - please everyone let me know if you think any of our current forums in the line-up are useless or overkill. I'm game to mixing things up a tad, but the majority of forums we have are based on community feedback.

I never go to the list of Forums....I use the "unread posts" at the upper right corner of page. The only time I use Forum is when I want to post a thread and I have to go find the right Forum. I like to read stuff from all the forums, however, I do know there are those that just stick to a forum and don't browse around much.

ConHog
06-01-2012, 07:12 PM
I think it would be interesting. Perhaps a sticky with the Constitution so the entire text is ready and available for reference.

That's a 2nd PLUS a great suggestion. Personally, I LOVE this site http://www.usconstitution.net/constsearch.html

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 07:13 PM

I assume that's a 2nd, and another excellent idea attached to it! Anyone care to find an "official" text of the COTUS that we would be able to use? Even if referred from elsewhere, I highly doubt we need to cite the original author of the document!

ConHog
06-01-2012, 07:16 PM
I assume that's a 2nd, and another excellent idea attached to it! Anyone care to find an "official" text of the COTUS that we would be able to use? Even if referred from elsewhere, I highly doubt we need to cite the original author of the document!

We posted at the same time, and I provided a link to a searchable version of the COTUS

btw T Jefferson is the author and he's probably okay with not being cited. LOL

jimnyc
06-01-2012, 07:18 PM
We posted at the same time, and I provided a link to a searchable version of the COTUS

btw T Jefferson is the author and he's probably okay with not being cited. LOL

Here would be my preferable version, plain 'ol text - http://www.usconstitution.net/const.txt

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 07:22 PM
http://www.iroquoisdemocracy.pdx.edu/html/constitution.html

ConHog
06-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I think IF this forum gets done every amendment should get its own thread where we can argue about what it actually means.

Then separate threads when situations arise where constitutionality is an issue. Obamacare for example, let's have a discussion about the legality of it. Not about whether it's the right thing to do , or can we afford it, just does the government have the authority?

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 07:48 PM
I think IF this forum gets done every amendment should get its own thread where we can argue about what it actually means.

Then separate threads when situations arise where constitutionality is an issue. Obamacare for example, let's have a discussion about the legality of it. Not about whether it's the right thing to do , or can we afford it, just does the government have the authority?

Does it really matter anymore to the government whether they have the authority? We can debate all day about whether they do or don't, but they will do what they want anyway. It would be ideal if people would actually get up in arms about it when it is, actually, proven that there is not authority.

However, I have found that anything can be twisted to suit those who are in power at the moment. As I've aged I've come to know how powerful the SCOTUS is and how important the appointments are.

ConHog
06-01-2012, 07:55 PM
Does it really matter anymore to the government whether they have the authority? We can debate all day about whether they do or don't, but they will do what they want anyway. It would be ideal if people would actually get up in arms about it when it is, actually, proven that there is not authority.

However, I have found that anything can be twisted to suit those who are in power at the moment. As I've aged I've come to know how powerful the SCOTUS is and how important the appointments are.

Which is why we need this forum to discuss. Where is our third?

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-01-2012, 07:58 PM

I'm new ,fresh off the boat, but I'll third that iffin' its ok with you guys.
I'll even suggest a few fresh mandates I'd like placed in the Constitution.
Here tis,

Absolutely no man that thinks United States consists of 59 states("57 states, two more to go") shall be eligible to hold any public office greater than that of small town dog catcher!

Any man to stuuuuuuupid to even know that Memorial day and Veteran's day aren't the same holiday shall be denied the right to hold any public office and that includes dog catcher!

Any man that lies like a rug, apologises for America's greatness and has eaten dog shall not hold any office at any location in America.

Obama clearly hates the greatest governing document ever known by man..
That leaves me with but one option. To call him scum...--Tyr

p.s. Can we get an American flag in the Icons???

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 08:03 PM
Thanks for the 3rd vote ... but I'll fight you all day long about making changes to the COTUS.

Oh, I forgot .... ConHog wants the forum for talking about what we WISH it said as well as what it ACTUALLY says.

Carry on!

ConHog
06-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Do it jim

:d

Noir
06-01-2012, 08:43 PM
Seems a good idea to me, and then one day when a future administration decides to dispose of the sluggish, outdated, and unneeded scribbles and there amended scribbles the forum can be archived for memory of what there once was ^,^

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 08:45 PM
Seems a good idea to me, and then one day when a future administration decides to dispose of the sluggish, outdated, and unneeded scribbles and there amended scribbles the forum can be archived for memory of what there once was ^,^

What do you have over there that compares to what you think we should be using, Noir?

Noir
06-01-2012, 08:51 PM
What do you have over there that compares to what you think we should be using, Noir?

I was just being sarky ma'am, to have a jab at good 'ol federal gov. ^,^

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 08:53 PM
I was just being sarky ma'am, to have a jab at good 'ol federal gov. ^,^

Consider me snarked! :slap:

Forgot to put on my "laid back" cap today.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-01-2012, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the 3rd vote ... but I'll fight you all day long about making changes to the COTUS.

Oh, I forgot .... ConHog wants the forum for talking about what we WISH it said as well as what it ACTUALLY says.

Carry on!

My suggestions were intended to be humorous and highlight some truth as well.
I'd like to talk about our Constitution and off top of my head can think of no changes I'd like to make to it.
Amazing the greatness of that document written by mortal men.
One can almost see a Godlike hand in its brilliance!
People here will see that I like to joke a lot but I'm serious when I talk about our nation's greatness and survival.
Humor soothes the soul and lightens the heart. I simply try to shed a few witty observations and hope they may help somebody's day.. They cost nothing and if any one of them helps somebody I believe that its worth the effort.-Tyr

ConHog
06-01-2012, 09:11 PM

Carry on!

Of course we should discuss what we would change, the very document allows for changes.

logroller
06-01-2012, 10:18 PM
I think it's a great idea-- A sub forum under us political discussion -- i think it could be used to discuss future amendments too.

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 11:00 PM
My suggestions were intended to be humorous and highlight some truth as well.
I'd like to talk about our Constitution and off top of my head can think of no changes I'd like to make to it.
Amazing the greatness of that document written by mortal men.
One can almost see a Godlike hand in its brilliance!
People here will see that I like to joke a lot but I'm serious when I talk about our nation's greatness and survival.
Humor soothes the soul and lightens the heart. I simply try to shed a few witty observations and hope they may help somebody's day.. They cost nothing and if any one of them helps somebody I believe that its worth the effort.-Tyr

Of course we should discuss what we would change, the very document allows for changes.

Apologies to both ... didn't intend to shut down debate .... just that I will be one of those who debate the validity of the document as written. Doesn't mean I don't think things should change ... just that I am still amazed by the strength of the original document.

Kathianne
06-01-2012, 11:04 PM

The Avalon Project at Yale (http://avalon.law.yale.edu/). Not only COTUS, but all original documents by centuries.

Kathianne
06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Thanks for the thanks you guys! Reason I like this, it has all sorts of old documents, i.e., Magna Carta and Mayflower Compact. Also Federalists Papers and the flip side. ;) You'll also find more current 'big legislation' which certainly can involve COTUS and SCOTUS discussions. All at one stop linking!

SassyLady
06-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Thanks for the thanks you guys! Reason I like this, it has all sorts of old documents, i.e., Magna Carta and Mayflower Compact. Also Federalists Papers and the flip side. ;) You'll also find more current 'big legislation' which certainly can involve COTUS and SCOTUS discussions. All at one stop linking!

Looks like a great resource. The Athenian Constitution? Wow!

logroller
06-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Looks like a great resource. The Athenian Constitution? Wow!

know you mentioned the timeless genius of the us const, Aristotle wrote some pretty timeless works discussing ethics; I think they were ahead of their time...but I'm a romantic.

Kathianne
06-01-2012, 11:54 PM
know you mentioned the timeless genius of the us const, Aristotle wrote some pretty timeless works discussing ethics that I think they were ahead of their time...but I'm a romantic.

Back in summer of 2001, I spent a month out in LA on Constitution Project. We created a powerpoint that analyzed sentence by sentence, the sources used by the Framers in creating the Constitution. Aristotle was one. Somewhere that floppy is lying around. Got to find it one day. LOL!

logroller
06-02-2012, 12:57 AM
Back in summer of 2001, I spent a month out in LA on Constitution Project. We created a powerpoint that analyzed sentence by sentence, the sources used by the Framers in creating the Constitution. Aristotle was one. Somewhere that floppy is lying around. Got to find it one day. LOL!
LOL-- A floppy disk. I don't think I even have a floppy drive anymore. My friend's son got in his truck and asked what a cassette tape was. Hard to believe how fast technology advances.

Kathianne
06-02-2012, 01:02 AM
LOL-- A floppy disk. I don't think I even have a floppy drive anymore. My friend's son got in his truck and asked what a cassette tape was. Hard to believe how fast technology advances.

Neither do I, but somewhere I think I have an attach disc drive. Not sure if true anymore. LOL! I'll be kicking myself, though I still am in contact with the law prof who really liked our product. He may have transferred to disc.

SassyLady
06-02-2012, 02:24 AM

I can remember the magnetic cards used in the electric IBM typewriters that were considered the first word processors!

SassyLady
06-02-2012, 02:25 AM
Neither do I, but somewhere I think I have an attach disc drive. Not sure if true anymore. LOL! I'll be kicking myself, though I still am in contact with the law prof who really liked our product. He may have transferred to disc.

It'll be an interesting debate with all the people who are constitutional scholars, of which I'm not. But it will definitely make me do my research.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-02-2012, 11:40 AM
It'll be an interesting debate with all the people who are constitutional scholars, of which I'm not. But it will definitely make me do my research.

After a few weeks it could be sent to bammyboy to be a study guide for his ignorant little carcass.-
Not that it would do any good, mind you..-Tyr

aboutime
06-02-2012, 01:17 PM
I would like a sub forum on JUST the US Constitution.

A forum where we would discuss not just our opinions on what the COTUS presently says but also where we would discuss what we WISH it said.

I know a lot of our current threads end up talking about such things anyway, but I would like a forum where that is the focus. IE if we're discussing whether abortion is a constitutionally protected right, THAT is what we discuss without meandering into whether abortion is right or wrong.

If that makes sense.

Though I have only been here a week. That suggestion sounds perfect to me. Not only could all of us discuss the pro's and con's of what the SCOTUS and the DumbPOTUS is trying to do in destroying the constitution. But it would be a prime place to come for anyone who needs to be reminded of the ACTUAL DOCUMENT, and what it Actually says, vs. what some THINK it should say.
Our nation is terribly uninformed about almost Everything. Which explains why so many would rather be followers, rather than leaders with Personal responsibility for their own lives.
I vote YES.

aboutime
06-02-2012, 01:19 PM
After a few weeks it could be sent to bammyboy to be a study guide for his ignorant little carcass.-
Not that it would do any good, mind you..-Tyr

Bamboy wouldn't know what to do with it. In fact. Anyone who sent such a thing to the White House would instantly be placed on his KILL LIST, called a racist, and declared a terrorist as well.
We all know how that works.