PDA

View Full Version : Hummingbirds, etc.

Abbey Marie
06-02-2012, 03:59 PM
I finally added a Hummingbird feed to our backyard bird items, and 3 days later, we just had our first visitor! Just today our regular feeder had visits from Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal, Goldfinches, Chickadees, Nuthatches, a Bluejay, a Downy Woodpecker, and a bird I haven't identified yet.

And right outside our front door, nesting in a birdhouse is a house wren. I love her- even when we walk right by, she stays with her head peeking out of the tiny hole in the house, as if to say, "You'd better not come near my babies".

We also have baby bunnies, a fox or two, and racoons. At night I sometimes hear an owl. Not bad for suburbia! These are the things that make me happy. :cool:

ConHog
06-02-2012, 04:10 PM
I finally added a Hummingbird feed to our backyard bird items, and 3 days later, we just had our first visitor! Just today our regular feeder had visits from Mr. & Mrs. Cardinal, Goldfinches, Chickadees, Nuthatches, a Bluejay, a Downy Woodpecker, and a bird I haven't identified yet.

And right outside our front door, nesting in a birdhouse is a house wren. I love her- even when we walk right by, she stays with her head peeking out of the tiny hole in the house, as if to say, "You'd better not come near my babies".

We also have baby bunnies, a fox or two, and racoons. At night I sometimes hear an owl. Not bad for suburbia! These are the things that make me happy. :cool:

You'd love it here then.

We have

ducks, guinea hens, dogs, cats, cows, horses, blue jays, quail, and a wild turkey calling our farm home at the moment. And that's just what I know about

Abbey Marie
06-02-2012, 04:20 PM
You'd love it here then.

We have

ducks, guinea hens, dogs, cats, cows, horses, blue jays, quail, and a wild turkey calling our farm home at the moment. And that's just what I know about

We spend vacations in rather rural Maine (though on a lake filled with vacationers, so not too rural), and I love it there, especially all the wildlife (even Moose, lol). But I'm not sure that I would be happy living rural all the time. I am a city girl at heart, and I like my city comforts, too. I also would also find it very difficult to be around hunting/hunters.

This is something my husband and I often discuss about retirement. Where would we be happy? If we had the $$, I'd probably choose the ocean over pretty much anything.

I think because we have some woods behind us and a creek right next to us, we get more wildlife than many in the suburbs. Certainly more than my friends and relatives anyway.

ConHog
06-02-2012, 04:22 PM
We spend vacations in rather rural Maine (though on a lake filled with vacationers, so not too rural), and I love it there, especially all the wildlife (even Moose, lol). But I'm not sure that I would be happy living rural all the time. I am a city girl at heart, and I like my city comforts, too. I also would also find it very difficult to be around hunting/hunters.

This is something my husband and I often discuss about retirement. Where would we be happy? If we had the $$, I'd probably choose the ocean over pretty much anything.

I think because we have some woods behind us and a creek right next to us, we get more wildlife than many in the suburbs. Certainly more than my friends and relatives anyway.

It's definitely different. My wife was from a big city (Little Rock) and then lived in Fayetteville for awhile , living here took some adjusting on her part, she loves it now. Took right to farm life. Even learned to can :D.

SassyLady
06-03-2012, 03:00 AM
I love all the wildlife in my yard. Abbey, I am impressed that you can name all those birds .... I can only name woodpeckers (had two different kinds for about a week); yellow finches, jays, robins, blackbirds, northern harrier hawks, crows, doves and buzzards. There about about a dozen more around the yard but I have no clue what they are. I need a pair of binoculars and a guide book.

But I love the hummingbirds the best. I have two feeders ... one in front and one in the back, and tons of flowers for them. Never knew they were so territorial. Don't get in the way when they are fighting...they will run right into you.

I will say we have a couple of creatures that I cannot abide and have to put poison out for them .... moles and gophers.

Shadow
06-03-2012, 08:57 AM

That is one of the tings I remember the most from the time I lived in California. In the summer...you would see tons of hummingbirds. Dozens of different colors too. We had a bush right outside our bedroom window that attracted them. Didn't know there were so many different varieties...you don't see them as much here in NM.