PDA

View Full Version : What Makes a Troll Tick?

Shadow
06-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Interesting article on online troll personalities. Especially the highlighted portion. Who knew that scientists were on to them...apparently they aren't as cunning as they thought they were :)

Whitney Phillips hunts trolls. For the past four years she's watched them on forums and Facebook (http://www.fastcompany.com/most-innovative-companies/2012/facebook), studied patterns in their behavior, chatted online with a few, and even met a small handful.

It's no small feat. These are tricksters prone to digital disruption and online hijinks for all kinds of reasons or none at all. And their dependence on anonymity makes them harder to track down than their Grimm namesakes. "You can't just walk up to a troll and have a heart-to-heart," Phillips says. But over the years, she's built up relationships with trolls of all stripes and gotten as close as anyone to understanding what makes their tribe tick.

Snip...

True trolls self-identify (http://billions-and-billions.com/2012/05/28/interview-with-a-troll/) and think of themsleves as a troll. They mark their territory on forums with very specific references — a "trollish vernacular" — to let other trolls know that trolling is on. They seek "lulz," "a particular sort of amoral laughter" at inappropriate jokes (think: disaster humor, racist humor or just plain cruel humor) once confined to private living rooms or clubs but now amplified by the web, Phillips says. "It's sort of similar to schadenfreude except it's much more pointed." Schadenfreude would describe your glee if someone you didn't like fell down, but with lulz, "You either participate in that misfortune or you're living vicariously through the people who are. It's much more active."

http://www.technolog.msnbc.msn.com/technology/technolog/what-makes-troll-tick-you-can-ask-dr-troll-805476#/technology/technolog/what-makes-troll-tick-you-can-ask-dr-troll-805476

darin
06-03-2012, 01:24 PM
#oca ? :d

OCA
06-03-2012, 01:30 PM
#oca ? :d

No

Shadow
06-03-2012, 02:30 PM
This is the one I have seen most often online,and more mainstream then just picking on sexists,racists or any particular 'group'. Done mostly to normal posters that they have decided they just don't like (although they will label them to make themselves feel better i guess). Now, that I have learned to recognize it...I call it the bait and switch. :thumb:

"trolls set out to bother commenters who make sexist or racist remarks in public sites. But it's not a straightforward attack by any means. "It's a weird troll-by-parrot thing," Phillips explains, "You trick misogynists into saying really ridiculous, obnoxious things about women and you pretend to be agreeing with them, and you turn suddenly. And the person you're trolling has no idea what just happened".

As a matter of fact...they will go to great lengths to gain your trust and draw you in.

Shadow
06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
Another one I have seen... Concern trolls. Saw this form of maniuplation on HilaryClinton.com during the last dem primary. Amazing what Obots will do to get the man elected. Well...actually preditable...but interesting that they will actually eat their own in the process.

"Someone who posts to an internet forum or newsgroup, claiming to share its goals while deliberately working against those goals."

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/concern_troll

jimnyc
06-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I've done a little trolling in my time. :coffee: Yeah, I know, tough to believe, but more than once as well!!

Both here and elsewhere. I'm the troll who just mysteriously comes out of nowhere and disappears as quickly. If I'm mad at someone, know they're ignoring me, or a post, or certain evidence, I'll fuck with them until I embarrass myself! LOL But all's cool a half an hour later or so.

Then there are the high octane days, where I drank too much coffee, no one is off limits on those days. Whoever happens to be online at the same time as me is likely going to be fucked with. And Corndog. I make fun of that jerk off whether he's here or not.

And lastly is my PMS days. Maybe forgot to take my meds, wife is bugging me, Steelers lost, but I can be downright nasty at times. That's pure temper saying things I almost always regret later. But I go for the jugular and like to really :poke: at some people.

Then I :420:or :alcoholic: and all is made better.

I think I have troll schizophrenia. But don't forget, I DO have some good posts mixed in amongst all of this. That, and I'm generally poked by someone that gets me rolling, so blame that bastard. :lol:

Shadow
06-03-2012, 03:08 PM
I've done a little trolling in my time. :coffee: Yeah, I know, tough to believe, but more than once as well!!

Both here and elsewhere. I'm the troll who just mysteriously comes out of nowhere and disappears as quickly. If I'm mad at someone, know they're ignoring me, or a post, or certain evidence, I'll fuck with them until I embarrass myself! LOL But all's cool a half an hour later or so.

Then there are the high octane days, where I drank too much coffee, no one is off limits on those days. Whoever happens to be online at the same time as me is likely going to be fucked with. And Corndog. I make fun of that jerk off whether he's here or not.

And lastly is my PMS days. Maybe forgot to take my meds, wife is bugging me, Steelers lost, but I can be downright nasty at times. That's pure temper saying things I almost always regret later. But I go for the jugular and like to really :poke: at some people.

I think I have troll schizophrenia. But don't forget, I DO have some good posts mixed in amongst all of this. That, and I'm generally poked by someone that gets me rolling, so blame that bastard. :lol:

Comes out of nowhere how? You mean register at a place and then do a hit an run? Or something else?

Haven't really witnessed the highlighted...well...maybe recently...but it was not unprovoked. Infact...for a troll you showed great restraint.:laugh:

tailfins
06-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I would say boredom and a curiosity on how people react of off-the-wall comments. Perhaps a type of social Mythbusters experiment.

jimnyc
06-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Comes out of nowhere how? You mean register at a place and then do a hit an run? Or something else?

Oh, no, that's all just here at my own board! LOL

Haven't really witnessed the highlighted...well...maybe recently...but it was not unprovoked. Infact...for a troll you showed great restraint.:laugh:

Well that's just it, and sometimes I don't even know I trolled until I have a chance and look back and reflect. I'm an involuntary troll. :laugh:

aboutime
06-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Oh, no, that's all just here at my own board! LOL

Well that's just it, and sometimes I don't even know I trolled until I have a chance and look back and reflect. I'm an involuntary troll. :laugh:

jimmyc. Truth is. Merely because I am responding to your post here, now. On another forum I was on. A reply like this, following your remarks. Would be considered being a TROLL. And the mods on that other board were able to privately vote to ban members...if they agreed that someone like me was a Troll.

So. Please disregard this post if it makes me eligible as a TROLL.

Shadow
06-03-2012, 05:10 PM
jimmyc. Truth is. Merely because I am responding to your post here, now. On another forum I was on. A reply like this, following your remarks. Would be considered being a TROLL. And the mods on that other board were able to privately vote to ban members...if they agreed that someone like me was a Troll.

So. Please disregard this post if it makes me eligible as a TROLL.

Yeah...then there is that. Some places go to great lengths to tout their 'freedom of speech' clauses. Only they forget to mention the fine print....it only applies to certain members.

DP is not like that though...Jim is very fair. :thumb:

Dilloduck
06-03-2012, 05:12 PM
Yeah...then there is that. Some places go to great lengths to tout their 'freedom of speech' clauses. Only they forget to mention the fine print....it only applies to certain members.

DP is not like that though...Jim is very fair. :thumb:

Are you going to do a thread about suck ups ?

Shadow
06-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Are you going to do a thread about suck ups ?

Bite me...troll.:laugh:

Dilloduck
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
Bite me...troll.:laugh:

I'm far too honest to be a troll you asshole.

Shadow
06-03-2012, 05:30 PM
I'm far too honest to be a troll you asshole.

That's okay...most trolls need a back up band anyway. You got one of those?

Dilloduck
06-03-2012, 05:32 PM
That's okay...most trolls need a back up band anyway. You got one of those?

Nah---I don't even know how to do that "sock" stuff. My solo act brings in big bucks tho.

Mr. P
06-03-2012, 06:25 PM
What Makes a Troll Tick?

The food of course. If ya don't feed em they go away. Geeezzzz

ConHog
06-03-2012, 06:32 PM
What Makes a Troll Tick?

The food of course. If ya don't feed em they go away. Geeezzzz

Except, like Shadow eluded to, sometimes trolls run the board and then well they feed themselves and multiply.

Shadow
06-03-2012, 07:01 PM
Except, like Shadow eluded to, sometimes trolls run the board and then well they feed themselves and multiply.

Quite right...

Scientific studies have concluded that what actually feeds the trolls is the 'amoral laughter' at their 'inappropriate jokes' and positive feedback from the rest of the troll tribe.

And we all know scientists dont lie. :coffee:

Shadow
06-03-2012, 07:04 PM
Nah---I don't even know how to do that "sock" stuff. My solo act brings in big bucks tho.

Here let me help you.

First you pick up a sock...find the open end...insert right foot. Repeat with left foot. ;)

Care to demonstrate your solo act for the peeps? We will throw tips...

Dilloduck
06-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Here let me help you.

First you pick up a sock...find the open end...insert right foot. Repeat with left foot. ;)

Care to demonstrate your solo act for the peeps? We will throw tips...

Right after I try to get both feet in one sock.

Shadow
06-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Right after I try to get both feet in one sock.

I guess I assumed you were smart enough to grab a complete set of socks from your drawer. I forget...some people need a diagram. :rolleyes:

Dilloduck
06-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I guess I assumed you were smart enough to grab a complete set of socks from your drawer. I forget...some people need a diagram. :rolleyes:

You still use diaphragms ??

ConHog
06-03-2012, 07:45 PM
You still use diaphragms ??

well, she did tell me that you weren't sponge worthy. :laugh:

Dilloduck
06-03-2012, 07:49 PM
well, she did tell me that you weren't sponge worthy. :laugh:

Kiss and tellers--hate em.

logroller
06-03-2012, 09:28 PM

I'm glad you fessed up first; it makes me feel better. I was reading through What is troll behavior and kept thinking, oh shit, I do that sometimes.