PDA

View Full Version : FTA: "Spanish law prohibits names which could expose a person to ridicule"

Bubbalicious
01-22-2007, 05:56 PM
I guess that's why they're all named Maria and Antonio.

No Darling, Spain tells aspiring citizen (http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21097364-29677,00.html)

* January 22, 2007

MADRID: A Colombian woman called Darling has been told she cannot become a Spanish citizen because her name is unacceptable.

Years of waiting to obtain Spanish citizenship for Darling Velez, 33, appeared to end with success a few months ago when her application was accepted, but she was shocked when the public registry rejected her name, El Mundo newspaper said on Friday.

Spanish law prohibits names which could expose a person to ridicule or do not clearly indicate gender. Without registering her name, Velez cannot become a citizen.

The registry office suggested Velez, who lives near Madrid, should choose a saint's name. But she said she wanted to stay Darling.

"My name is part of my personality. If they force me to change it, I'll change it to a Basque name and see what they say then," she said.

Names in Spain's minority Basque language were prohibited for many years during the dictatorship of General Francisco Franco but now are common.

Reuters

Is that the weirdest thing or what?

5stringJeff
01-22-2007, 06:00 PM
How oppressive can a state be?!?

Insein
01-22-2007, 06:02 PM
We have much to learn from Europe. :rolleyes:

Bubbalicious
01-22-2007, 06:15 PM
How oppressive can a state be?!?

I've seen oppressiver, but still, that's seriously goofy.

Gaffer
01-22-2007, 09:46 PM
I guess Dweezel and Moon Unit are not acceptable then.

But the good news is fransico franco is STILL dead.

Bubbalicious
01-22-2007, 10:08 PM
There are no Richards or Imas in Spain.
No Peters, no Aswipes...