PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty

Abbey Marie
06-05-2012, 03:46 PM
Just got back, and was sad to not be picked. I was called up to the courtroom for a case involving an assault with a deadly weapon charge, and related offenses. I was so hoping that I could sit on that jury. Oh well, in 2 years I may have another chance.

Little-Acorn
06-05-2012, 04:01 PM
That could have been interesting.

"Assault with a deadly weapon" - if the guy was accused of going after somebody with a knife or a gun or whatever, and you find he actually did it and it wasn't self-defense, then maybe he deserves some time in the slammer, or more.

But if it turns out he's simply accused of OWNING a deadly weapon in some way that violates some law... then that could be a good case for Jury Nullification, depending on circumstances.

(Well, frankly it doesn't sound like that, "assault with" has a specific meaning, and it isn't just ownership. If he actually did something bad with the weapon, then throw the book at the slimeball)

aboutime
06-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Abbey. I know how you feel. My wife and I both were called about two years ago. We spent the entire day sitting in court. Waiting, and waiting to be interviewed for a drug case that involved a murder with a 9mm pistol.
Sadly, due to my physical condition. They thanked us...after eight hours, and sent us both home.
Probably a blessing for the accused because all I needed to know, was the combination of drugs. He was a Dealer who carried his pistol, and SOMEHOW. A man walked in front of his 9mm bullets. All 5 of them.

Noir
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Haven't been on Jury duty yet, but ive been lucky enough to have worked with barristers for a few weeks over the past several years, mostly for things like theft, common assult etc, but i did see a section 47 (not far bellow manslaughter) and two rape cases. ^,^

Abbey Marie
06-05-2012, 04:17 PM
That could have been interesting.

"Assault with a deadly weapon" - if the guy was accused of going after somebody with a knife or a gun or whatever, and you find he actually did it and it wasn't self-defense, then maybe he deserves some time in the slammer, or more.

But if it turns out he's simply accused of OWNING a deadly weapon in some way that violates some law... then that could be a good case for Jury Nullification, depending on circumstances.

(Well, frankly it doesn't sound like that, "assault with" has a specific meaning, and it isn't just ownership. If he actually did something bad with the weapon, then throw the book at the slimeball)

I know! They told us very little, just the defendant's name and the fact that he allegedly committed the assault in a warehouse. So many potential jurors were excused by the attorneys that I thought I'd get a shot, but not today.

Aboutime: The waiting was so boring; at one point I dozed and started drooling, haha.
Thank goodness I had my new Allman Bros. bio with me.

Mr. P
06-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Just got back, and was sad to not be picked. I was called up to the courtroom for a case involving an assault with a deadly weapon charge, and related offenses. I was so hoping that I could sit on that jury. Oh well, in 2 years I may have another chance.

You're surprised they struck an attorney from the jury?

I can see it going either way actually. I guess you just weren't seen as a benifit to either side.

Abbey Marie
06-05-2012, 04:34 PM
You're surprised they struck an attorney from the jury?

I can see it going either way actually. I guess you just weren't seen as a benifit to either side.

No, I was never called. Just sat in the jury room and watched others go up. I wasn't even to the point of being considered. :(

Mr. P
06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
No, I was never called. Just sat in the jury room and watched others go up. I wasn't even to the point of being considered. :(

Damn! Well, like you said...maybe next time.

logroller
06-05-2012, 04:57 PM
I've been on three; felony fraud, murder and misdemeanor possession of stolen property. Deliberations are fun; getting to debate and discuss things with fellow jurors is such a solemn duty-- very fulfilling. I was foreman on the murder case; I enjoyed the burden, convincing 4 jurors who were leaning not guilty. Sucks when the case is crap though.The last, the misdemeanor case, had such a terrible prosecutor and the judge coached her objections while suppressing the PD-- it was disgusting. I so wanted to acquit the guy but his story left so little reasonable doubt...had to convict. Since then I have asked to be excused; it really turned me off the process.

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 05:20 PM
I've only been called for jury duty once, I recounted it here. :laugh2:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?3898-I-just-got-back-from-Jury-Duty-for-a-murder-trial!&p=69230#post69230

Well from what I've read so far, I by far and away had the most radical and humorous experience in jury duty.

I'd never been called for jury duty. Then a little less than 2 years after my divorce was granted, I was called up. By then I was teaching. I was excited, but realized that with my brother being deputy chief of police in major city in county and 3 lawyers, 3 civil charges, 2 judges that were personal friends that I had campaigned for, my chances of serving were zip.

Got the time off from school, called the morning of, they said, "Come in." Got to court about 8:30, watched videos on civic duty and jury duties. Read a book and 1/2 by 3. Then I was called, since I was 1 of 5 left, no surprise.

They started questioning. First strike-deafness, with hearing aids. They took that.

Then, "Any court dealings?" Had to raise hand and explain.

"Any convictions?" Had to explain.

"Family members that are involved with courts?" Had to explain.

"Any involvement in explaining US legal system?" Had to explain.

They were desperate to seat a jury. I had all these ties that would normally knock me out of jury pool, but there were no others.

So I was 'seated', barring something extraordinary.

Then they started with witnesses for defense. Then for plaintiff. Whoops, did I hear what I thought I heard? Annette *******? I raised my hand, and said, "Considering my hearing, I probably got this wrong, but I thought I heard the name Annette **********, is that right?"

"Yes." "Why?" That's the name of my ex's girlfriend. She's a *******. "Could it be the same?" Sidebar.

Judge, "We think it's the same, do you think you can be impartial, considering only the facts?" Me, "No." Lots of laughing, Judge, "You are dismissed."

logroller
06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
I've only been called for jury duty once, I recounted it here. :laugh2:

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?3898-I-just-got-back-from-Jury-Duty-for-a-murder-trial!&p=69230#post69230
That's funny; similar thing happened to me. On that murder case I ended up knowing one of the witnesses. Didn't recognize the full name during the voir dire, but when he was called I raised my hand and said I knew him; all the other jurors were removed and I had to explain how I know him and what not, whether or not I could be impartial-- they ended up keeping me and introducing a certain fact that was agreed upon by both parties (I don't what that's called) and he didn't testify.

ConHog
06-05-2012, 07:32 PM
That's funny; similar thing happened to me. On that murder case I ended up knowing one of the witnesses. Didn't recognize the full name during the voir dire, but when he was called I raised my hand and said I knew him; all the other jurors were removed and I had to explain how I know him and what not, whether or not I could be impartial-- they ended up keeping me and introducing a certain fact that was agreed upon by both parties (I don't what that's called) and he didn't testify.

Its called a stipulation.

Ill probwbly never serve on a jury unless its federal

jimnyc
06-05-2012, 07:52 PM
I get called in for jury duty - I wear a tank top with the tattoo's showing, don't shower and talk throughout the process about the filthy pigs and how the justice system is run by monkeys. Believe it or not, never served a day in jury duty in my 43 years!

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 07:58 PM
Jim being the exception, seems most DP's would like to serve on jury duty?

jimnyc
06-05-2012, 08:09 PM

Let me make sure I clarify - you're correct, I sure as hell wouldn't "like to". But if called, and then chosen, I would honorably serve. But with my luck, I would get an OJ Simpson case and be sequestered for a year, at a whopping $10 a day, and no contact with newspapers and TV, and further, with my luck, it would probably be an all male jury.

Nell's Room
06-06-2012, 01:19 AM
My mum got called to jury duty once. She was working full time though, but she wasn't allowed to not turn up at the courthouse, she didn't have a choice. So she turned up for five days straight and went to work straight after. She lost at least a third of her weekly pay, and she had to wait and wait for hours each day only to be told each time that she wasn't needed. On the final day they told her she could go. If she was a single parent, that's most of her wage wiped out, and they don't pay you any compensation for missed work days.

SassyLady
06-06-2012, 02:41 AM
My mum got called to jury duty once. She was working full time though, but she wasn't allowed to not turn up at the courthouse, she didn't have a choice. So she turned up for five days straight and went to work straight after. She lost at least a third of her weekly pay, and she had to wait and wait for hours each day only to be told each time that she wasn't needed. On the final day they told her she could go. If she was a single parent, that's most of her wage wiped out, and they don't pay you any compensation for missed work days.

It's one of our civic duties. I have always been in a salaried position ... which means my employer continues to pay me my full salary; however, my employer informed me that I would be expected to make up the time off which meant evenings and weekends if I were chosen.

I've been notified several times that I would be called. Only called up twice. First one I was a student and was excused. The second time it was for a rape case. I explained that my sister had been raped by our brother, who is in prison for being serial killer. Told them I didn't think I could handle the emotions it would bring up. Excused.

Abbey Marie
06-06-2012, 12:31 PM

Probably a stipulation.

ConHog
06-06-2012, 12:33 PM

I would , but the chances of the ADA's husband being seated on a jury are pretty slim.

Mr. P
06-06-2012, 12:46 PM
I would , but the chances of the ADA's husband being seated on a jury are pretty slim.

Donno about that. My wife was a Local Judge and they put me for a jury. It ended in a mistrial. I asked the Judge after that why the hell he thought they picked me...He just rolled his eyes and said "I have NO idea".

ConHog
06-06-2012, 12:59 PM
Donno about that. My wife was a Local Judge and they put me for a jury. It ended in a mistrial. I asked the Judge after that why the hell he thought they picked me...He just rolled his eyes and said "I have NO idea".

Well, I don't think there is a rule against it per se. I just definitely see a defense lawyer saving a challenge for me LOL. Irrelevant unless I get called anyway, just an interesting conversation.