PDA

View Full Version : Now I know for sure the word is meaningless

Abbey Marie
06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
I have thought for awhile that the word "hero" was diluted to the point of not meaning much anymore. Athletes are heroes, etc. But i recently heard a really smarmy ad for a product called "Hero tabs". Hero tabs purport to make men more virile. I think the word used most often in the ad was "hard".

Uggh.

Uggh again.

Here's a group that knows what a real hero is. What's your definition?

http://s7d3.scene7.com/is/image/DeltaApparel/s-wwp-headerimage?wid=903

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I actually had given a creative writing assignment a few years back to 7th graders. "How would you define, 'hero', give an example of one."

After writing the definition I don't think any of them chose a band member, a movie star, or an athlete. Over and over again it was military members or a father, mother, grandfather. Not one grandmother, hrumph!

Mr. P
06-05-2012, 04:40 PM
I have thought for awhile that the word "hero" was diluted to the point of not meaning much anymore. Athletes are heroes, etc. But i recently heard a really smarmy ad for a product called "Hero tabs". Hero tabs purport to make men more virile. I think the word used most often in the ad was "hard".

Uggh.

Uggh again.

I agree...In addition I include the students I teach here that have been over there and those who may go there (wherever that may be) in the future.

gabosaurus
06-05-2012, 04:41 PM
http://i.istockimg.com/file_thumbview_approve/4145487/2/stock-photo-4145487-hero-sandwich.jpg

jimnyc
06-05-2012, 05:02 PM
Short and sweet - a hero is someone who, without regard for his/her own life, puts out for the needs of another. Risking everything one has for the greater good or for another human being.

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Short and sweet - a hero is someone who, without regard for his/her own life, puts out for the needs of another. Risking everything one has for the greater good or for another human being.

Indeed. There are some that seem predisposed towards this type of behaviors, Sassy referred to them as 'sheep dogs', they keep the 'wolves' at bay from the 'sheep.' These are the successful members of military, police, and fire departments. Then there are those that through circumstances, find they have an 'inner sheep dog.' They will run into a building to save someone in a fire, grab a purse snatcher or someone threatening others. They didn't know they were made like that, but it's found out.

logroller
06-05-2012, 05:08 PM
I think the standard for being a decent human has degraded to such a level that a hero has become someone who exceeds the incredibly low expectations society has for one another. Got rich by working hard instead of robbing and stealing-- you're a hero. :rolleyes:

jimnyc
06-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Indeed. There are some that seem predisposed towards this type of behaviors, Sassy referred to them as 'sheep dogs', they keep the 'wolves' at bay from the 'sheep.' These are the successful members of military, police, and fire departments. Then there are those that through circumstances, find they have an 'inner sheep dog.' They will run into a building to save someone in a fire, grab a purse snatcher or someone threatening others. They didn't know they were made like that, but it's found out.

But still far too many people today get labeled heroes when they really didn't do anything heroic, and certainly didn't place their lives below that of another. It's demeaning to real heroes, IMO. But I guess everyone has their own little definition, however distorted they may be at times.

jimnyc
06-05-2012, 05:11 PM
I think the standard for being a decent human has degraded to such a level that a hero has become someone who exceeds the incredibly low expectations society has for one another. Got rich by working hard instead of robbing and stealing-- you're a hero. :rolleyes:

Sadly true.

(although, when my wife calls me for dinner, and I find pizza, chinese or other ordered food on the table, she is temporarily my hero)

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 05:15 PM
But still far too many people today get labeled heroes when they really didn't do anything heroic, and certainly didn't place their lives below that of another. It's demeaning to real heroes, IMO. But I guess everyone has their own little definition, however distorted they may be at times.

Real heroes, even in the services, don't find if they are 'heroes' until there is the test. There's this of course:

http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/albuquerque/Heroic-guardsmen-pull-live-bomb-out-of-Marine/-/9153728/14460884/-/108h71o/-/index.html#ixzz1wvGJrAF6

There are so many heroes to be found here:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/someone_you_should_know/

Then there are these, certifiable heroes:

http://www.cmohs.org/

logroller
06-05-2012, 05:16 PM
Sadly true.

(although, when my wife calls me for dinner, and I find pizza, chinese or other ordered food on the table, she is temporarily my hero)
My wife not poisoning my food makes her a hero...or perhaps a coward; depends on the perspective I guess.

logroller
06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
If I know one thing about a heroes, it's they don't consider themselves to be one.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Uggh.

Uggh again.

My definition of a hero..
Here goes.
If I can be loved and called such by my kids its more than enough for me! I do not expect false praise from them but love and respect for that's what I've given them. I am 58 years old with a five year old son , Justin. He was born at 27 weeks , one pound and a half exactly 24 ounces, two surgeries and 5 years of serious medical issues and he is doing well now. My daughter is 23 years old , just started her career as a dental hygeniest this year. I've been blessed to know that she already thinks me a hero and my wish is that my son when older and wiser will as well. Thats enough for me. That is a different kind of hero . The hero we so often think of is the kind that selflessly gives of himself to a greater gooooooooood and a greater purpose. This is most often seen in the heroic actions of our military. I have favorites in sports, acting , writing, shooting , chess playing,car racing , poker playing etc. but Hero I reserve for the kind of sacrifice SO OFTEN seen in war.. For it reveals so much more in my eyes. Yet being a hero (small h) to my kids rates higher with me because I love 'em so and want to be a source of pride in their lives ..
Selfish , maybe but indeed selfless in the desired results for my kids. -Tyr

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 07:39 PM
My definition of a hero..
Here goes.
If I can be loved and called such by my kids its more than enough for me! I do not expect false praise from them but love and respect for that's what I've given them. I am 58 years old with a five year old son , Justin. He was born at 27 weeks , one pound and a half exactly 24 ounces, two surgeries and 5 years of serious medical issues and he is doing well now. My daughter is 23 years old , just started her career as a dental hygeniest this year. I've been blessed to know that she already thinks me a hero and my wish is that my son when older and wiser will as well. Thats enough for me. That is a different kind of hero . The hero we so often think of is the kind that selflessly gives of himself to a greater gooooooooood and a greater purpose. This is most often seen in the heroic actions of our military. I have favorites in sports, acting , writing, shooting , chess playing,car racing , poker playing etc. but Hero I reserve for the kind of sacrifice SO OFTEN seen in war.. For it reveals so much more in my eyes. Yet being a hero (small h) to my kids rates higher with me because I love 'em so and want to be a source of pride in their lives ..
Selfish , maybe but indeed selfless in the desired results for my kids. -Tyr

I think you are stating what my 7th graders often were. Their parents were heroes, because their parents had really tough times, but persevered and made it easy for them, their kids. Many, mostly boys, saw their grandfathers as heroes, because they'd been in Vietnam, Korea, or WWII.

DragonStryk72
06-06-2012, 02:13 AM
Someone who puts themselves to the hazard for their beliefs, or in the protection of life/liberty other than their own. Military members who go above and beyond are an easy example, but folks like Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Susan B. Anthony, and Muhammed Ali. Ali is sort of interesting on the list in that he was willing to go to prison rather than either serve in Vietnam, or do what so many did and flee to Canada or Europe. This wasn't without serious sacrifice for him, with a belt he had to give up, loss of the prizes from his fighting, and literally being locked away for several years.

Susan as well is of interest in that her belief in equality led her to demand jail time for her crimes just as any man would serve had they committed the same crimes. Prisons were not nearly the caliber we have today, with regular medical care and guaranteed three square meals. You could easily die in prison even on a short stint, so it says alot about her character that she was willing to face this.

It is NOT:
The teacher who just phones it in because they have tenure and can't really be fired as long as they do at least the bare minimum.
The EMT who uses his position to feel morally superior to other people.
The soldier who lies about his service so people will look up to him more.

gabosaurus
06-06-2012, 11:04 AM
There was a book out a long time ago entitled "A Hero Ain't Nothing But A Sandwich." I believe the point was that anyone who plays a vitally important role in another person's life is a hero. Which can can anyone.
I consider my friend Katie a hero. She is a licensed athletic trainer and EMT certified. She has saved two people from dying.
I feel the same way about my sister. She pretty much saved my life when I had a nervous breakdown in college.
Anyone can be a hero.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m3SjCzA71eM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

logroller
06-06-2012, 11:35 AM
There was a book out a long time ago entitled "A Hero Ain't Nothing But A Sandwich." I believe the point was that anyone who plays a vitally important role in another person's life is a hero. Which can can anyone.
I consider my friend Katie a hero. She is a licensed athletic trainer and EMT certified. She has saved two people from dying.
I feel the same way about my sister. She pretty much saved my life when I had a nervous breakdown in college.
Anyone can be a hero.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/m3SjCzA71eM" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>
Ok, so an emt saving someones life, or a sister helping a sister is heroic. Now i see that as just being a good emt and good sister. Isnt that what emts and sisters are expected to do?
same thing for soldiers; a soldier goes to war and defends the country, possibly giving their life...I think that defines what a soldier is, not a hero. I'm sure some sisters, emts and soldiers are heroes, but there must be some exceptional performance that goes beyond general expectations. Somehow we confused heroic actions for those which are merely not-cowardly. Now maybe the majority of people are cowards; but lowering the bar for heroes doesn't change that.

OCA
06-06-2012, 11:45 AM
Ok, so an emt saving someones life, or a sister helping a sister is heroic. Now i see that as just being a good emt and good sister. Isnt that what emts and sisters are expected to do?
same thing for soldiers; a soldier goes to war and defends the country, possibly giving their life...I think that defines what a soldier is, not a hero. I'm sure some sisters, emts and soldiers are heroes, but there must be some exceptional performance that goes beyond general expectations. Somehow we confused heroic actions for those which are merely not-cowardly. Now maybe the majority of people are cowards; but lowering the bar for heroes doesn't change that.

I'm gonna get skewered for this but screw it thats never bothered me: just because 1 puts on a military uniform and takes the oath and goes to a theatre of conflict overseas does not make them a hero, if they fulfill their duties and responsibilities competently even getting a few confirmed kills or whatever their task may be still does not qualify for hero status, if it does then so does the cashier at my local WAWA whose till is never 1 penny off everyday and keeps the coolers filled.

Now an example of a military hero? That guy who jumps on a grenade wasting himself but saving the other 20 guys in his unit........thats a hero.

logroller
06-06-2012, 12:00 PM
I'm gonna get skewered for this but screw it thats never bothered me: just because 1 puts on a military uniform and takes the oath and goes to a theatre of conflict overseas does not make them a hero, if they fulfill their duties and responsibilities competently even getting a few confirmed kills or whatever their task may be still does not qualify for hero status, if it does then so does the cashier at my local WAWA whose till is never 1 penny off everyday and keeps the coolers filled.

Now an example of a military hero? That guy who jumps on a grenade wasting himself but saving the other 20 guys in his unit........thats a hero.

I think you're right. Like I said, fulfilling expectations doesn't make one hero. Expectations can be low or high though. For example, JoePa not ringing the neck of that rat bastard child rapist I think was cowardly. Now maybe my expectations for him were exceptionally high, perhaps even elevated to heroic status; but in my perspective he failed to meet them. Same goes for the guy who actually witnessed the heinous act; shoulda done more than tell his boss. Again. Fail. Had they went to police and had the guy arrested... Not heroic, that's what I expect from a decent human being. Arguably, had the guy went over there a stopped it from happening, perhaps that could be seen as heroic by the kid; but I think that's the decent thing to do-- that's what I'd expect.

OCA
06-06-2012, 12:27 PM
I think you're right. Like I said, fulfilling expectations doesn't make one hero. Expectations can be low or high though. For example, JoePa not ringing the neck of that rat bastard child rapist I think was cowardly. Now maybe my expectations for him were exceptionally high, perhaps even elevated to heroic status; but in my perspective he failed to meet them. Same goes for the guy who actually witnessed the heinous act; shoulda done more than tell his boss. Again. Fail. Had they went to police and had the guy arrested... Not heroic, that's what I expect from a decent human being. Arguably, had the guy went over there a stopped it from happening, perhaps that could be seen as heroic by the kid; but I think that's the decent thing to do-- that's what I'd expect.

Yep....most of the time the things we call heroic are simply just people fulfilling job duties or responsibilities. Is a father heroic just because he's a good father? No, he's SUPPOSED to be a good father just like a soldier is supposed to be a good soldier.

Abbey Marie
06-06-2012, 12:28 PM
Someone who puts themselves to the hazard for their beliefs, or in the protection of life/liberty other than their own. Military members who go above and beyond are an easy example, but folks like Martin Luther King Jr., Ghandi, Mother Theresa, Susan B. Anthony, and Muhammed Ali. Ali is sort of interesting on the list in that he was willing to go to prison rather than either serve in Vietnam, or do what so many did and flee to Canada or Europe. This wasn't without serious sacrifice for him, with a belt he had to give up, loss of the prizes from his fighting, and literally being locked away for several years.

Susan as well is of interest in that her belief in equality led her to demand jail time for her crimes just as any man would serve had they committed the same crimes. Prisons were not nearly the caliber we have today, with regular medical care and guaranteed three square meals. You could easily die in prison even on a short stint, so it says alot about her character that she was willing to face this.

It is NOT:
The teacher who just phones it in because they have tenure and can't really be fired as long as they do at least the bare minimum.
The EMT who uses his position to feel morally superior to other people.
The soldier who lies about his service so people will look up to him more.

I don't think getting out of serving your country makes you a hero, regardless of your serving the sentence and accepting the penalties it garners you. At best, it makes you principled. At worst, cowardly and selfish. But a hero? No. That is what I mean by diluting the meaning of the word.

aboutime
06-06-2012, 12:38 PM
I personally believe the word Hero has been used so often, and for so many different things lately. That the real meaning of the word has been lost in Semantics, and Rhetorical abuse.

Everyone has their own opinion of being a hero, and to those who need to be specific. Probably 99.9 percent of all members of the present day military will tell you...They do not think they are hero's.
As I must do here. Despite my many years in the navy. I do not consider myself anything close to being a hero, for any reason. Primarily because I knew Real Hero's. Most of whom are no longer here to enjoy the fruits of their valor, honor, and heroism as their names are on a Wall in Washington DC.
Americans generally enjoy calling certain people hero's because they have no idea what other words to use.
But Real Hero's rarely, if ever brag, or step forward to raise their hands...saying they are Hero's.
Hero's normally do things most other people would never do. Some give all for their heroism, while others live another day for giving of themselves, without asking for recognition.

So. We should all learn to limit our use of the word. And award such a word to those who Honestly have done something to earn the distinction. Otherwise. How can we call a baseball player who makes an amazing catch a hero, when hero's who may have saved someone else's life are sitting in the stands...catching Foul Balls?

logroller
06-06-2012, 12:44 PM
I don't think getting out of serving your country makes you a hero, regardless of your serving the sentence and accepting the penalties it garners you. At best, it makes you principled. At worst, cowardly and selfish. But a hero? No. That is what I mean by diluting the meaning of the word.

Exactly abbey. Compare Ali to someone like, Desmond Doss (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desmond_Doss) or Thomas Bennett (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_W._Bennett_(conscientious_objector)), both conscientious objectors who held to their beliefs and rather than perform some ubiquitous paper job, went to war as medics and performed heroic acts that went above and beyond any expectations of duty. Thats heroic. Serving jail time for breaking the law, no matter how justified, is what I'd expect. I wouldn't call Ali a coward, he stood by his beliefs, but that's not heroic-- that's what I expect.

DragonStryk72
06-06-2012, 04:25 PM
Anyone can be a hero.

Everyone CAN be a hero, that is true. However, not everyone IS a hero. Sure the crack addict down the street could do some sort of daring heroics, but until he does, he's not a hero.

DragonStryk72
06-06-2012, 04:33 PM

Um, so it's heroic to go fight in a war you believe is completely wrong? Had Ali simply run off to Canada, or suddenly developed college courses to dodge, I'd say he wasn't a hero. However, he chose to face the hazard rather than run. After his incarceration ended, he even overcame the odds to gain back the title he had lost, several years older than when he'd left. In the boxing world, it put him at a handicap, on top of not being able to stay on top of his training as a boxer while he was locked away.

He didn't "get out" of serving his country, he chose to not fight in a war he believed was wrong, and let's bear in mind, he could have gotten out of prison at any point if he had just given in and gone. Yes, at a certain point, you are a hero for standing up for your beliefs.

Mr. P
06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
I have the utmost respect for Clay for accepting the consequences of his actions. Is he a hero for that? NO F'kin WAY!

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-06-2012, 05:48 PM
I personally believe the word Hero has been used so often, and for so many different things lately. That the real meaning of the word has been lost in Semantics, and Rhetorical abuse.

Everyone has their own opinion of being a hero, and to those who need to be specific. Probably 99.9 percent of all members of the present day military will tell you...They do not think they are hero's.
As I must do here. Despite my many years in the navy. I do not consider myself anything close to being a hero, for any reason. Primarily because I knew Real Hero's. Most of whom are no longer here to enjoy the fruits of their valor, honor, and heroism as their names are on a Wall in Washington DC.
Americans generally enjoy calling certain people hero's because they have no idea what other words to use.
But Real Hero's rarely, if ever brag, or step forward to raise their hands...saying they are Hero's.
Hero's normally do things most other people would never do. Some give all for their heroism, while others live another day for giving of themselves, without asking for recognition.

So. We should all learn to limit our use of the word. And award such a word to those who Honestly have done something to earn the distinction. Otherwise. How can we call a baseball player who makes an amazing catch a hero, when hero's who may have saved someone else's life are sitting in the stands...catching Foul Balls?

Very well spoken Sir. Very well indeed. A triple bravo for that! :clap::cheers2::beer:--Tyr

DragonStryk72
06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I have the utmost respect for Clay for accepting the consequences of his actions. Is he a hero for that? NO F'kin WAY!

It isn't about accepting. I don't get why this is so hard: Ali could easily and without issue have done the minimum required, but due to his conviction that the war was wrong, stood against the government even though he knew it would mean jail time and the loss of his title. This wasn't, he was already going to jail, he wasn't. Is he the greatest of heroes? No, of course not, but a hero still.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-06-2012, 09:25 PM

I am by no means a hero but had I witnessed that I would have went right over and started beating the living hell out of that sorry sumbiatch. I wouldnt have hesitated for a second either. My first thought when hearing the story was what scum = the guy that saw and did nothing! He is just about as bad as the pervert doing the molesting..-Tyr

Abbey Marie
06-07-2012, 12:13 AM
Um, so it's heroic to go fight in a war you believe is completely wrong? Had Ali simply run off to Canada, or suddenly developed college courses to dodge, I'd say he wasn't a hero. However, he chose to face the hazard rather than run. After his incarceration ended, he even overcame the odds to gain back the title he had lost, several years older than when he'd left. In the boxing world, it put him at a handicap, on top of not being able to stay on top of his training as a boxer while he was locked away.

He didn't "get out" of serving his country, he chose to not fight in a war he believed was wrong, and let's bear in mind, he could have gotten out of prison at any point if he had just given in and gone. Yes, at a certain point, you are a hero for standing up for your beliefs.

I already posted what I thought about your points. Nothing has changed.

CSM
06-07-2012, 06:41 AM
I am no hero and most of the people I know are not heroes. I do actually KNOW a few heroes; I would be very hard pressed to describe them or any other hero. I just know a hero when I see one. The vast majority of those labelled as heroes these days are far from it.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-07-2012, 08:33 AM
Real heroes, even in the services, don't find if they are 'heroes' until there is the test. There's this of course:

http://www.koat.com/news/new-mexico/albuquerque/Heroic-guardsmen-pull-live-bomb-out-of-Marine/-/9153728/14460884/-/108h71o/-/index.html#ixzz1wvGJrAF6

There are so many heroes to be found here:

http://www.blackfive.net/main/someone_you_should_know/

Then there are these, certifiable heroes:

http://www.cmohs.org/

Great links and great stories of true heroes.-Tyr