PDA

View Full Version : The Third Amendment

ConHog
06-05-2012, 09:04 PM
No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

Is this even worthy of discussion really?

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 09:41 PM
No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.

it was a big deal at the time. Will there come a time that it's relevant in modern times? Always possible.

ConHog
06-05-2012, 09:54 PM
it was a big deal at the time. Will there come a time that it's relevant in modern times? Always possible.

I just wanted each Amendment to have its own thread, but really there is not much to discuss about this one.

DragonStryk72
06-05-2012, 10:16 PM

Actually, I doubt it. Taking a land war to America in any meaningful way to where this would even be a possibility would require a huge enemy force numbering the millions to even begin in a serious manner. Beyond that, we have our own army tents and such that easily go along with them. I doubt this would seriously become a problem. Even if something did go down, we'd likely bed the Army in hotels and motels of the area first, and pay the owners for the rooms.

fj1200
06-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Actually, I doubt it. Taking a land war to America in any meaningful way to where this would even be a possibility would require a huge enemy force numbering the millions to even begin in a serious manner. Beyond that, we have our own army tents and such that easily go along with them. I doubt this would seriously become a problem. Even if something did go down, we'd likely bed the Army in hotels and motels of the area first, and pay the owners for the rooms.

But that would be in a time of war which is acceptable if legislation were passed.

Can you extend "house" to other property such as vehicles, airplanes, manufacturing capabilities, etc.? I would think yes.

ConHog
06-05-2012, 10:31 PM

I think the more likely scenario , although still VERY unlikely, is that US troops are used against Americans. But even then, like you say plenty of hotels, motels around plus tents and such.

Just not likely.

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 11:18 PM
But that would be in a time of war which is acceptable if legislation were passed.

Can you extend "house" to other property such as vehicles, airplanes, manufacturing capabilities, etc.? I would think yes.

Also assuming that hotels/motels are all still standing in such straits.

Kathianne
06-05-2012, 11:20 PM
I think the more likely scenario , although still VERY unlikely, is that US troops are used against Americans. But even then, like you say plenty of hotels, motels around plus tents and such.

Just not likely.

and you are in favor of restricting the arms of Americans. Understood.

ConHog
06-05-2012, 11:58 PM
and you are in favor of restricting the arms of Americans. Understood.

Im for fully armed national guards which should be under state control

DragonStryk72
06-06-2012, 01:46 AM
Im for fully armed national guards which should be under state control

But are not. They are federally controlled.

ConHog
06-06-2012, 11:42 AM
But are not. They are federally controlled.

No, they are state controlled, but CAN be co opted by the federal gov't in times of national emergency, which I think is wrong.