PDA

View Full Version : What is more disgusting than a fake military hero?

gabosaurus
06-05-2012, 11:39 PM
How about a guy who lies about being a wounded war veteran for the purpose of advancing on a TV "talent" program.
If this guy disgusts an avowed liberal like myself, I can only imagine what a real veteran would think.

http://thelibertyzone.wordpress.com/2012/06/05/tim-poe-how-dare-you/

Noir
06-05-2012, 11:47 PM
...why would it help him get on a talent show?

OCA
06-05-2012, 11:49 PM
Oh, I thought this thread was about Connie.

ConHog
06-05-2012, 11:56 PM
Oh, I thought this thread was about Connie.

Im far from a hero. Merely Served.

Youre so jelly of me that your eyes are green

gabosaurus
06-06-2012, 12:00 AM
...why would it help him get on a talent show?

If you are on one of those TV "talent" shows where the winners are decided by audience votes, it greatly helps to have a good sob story. Even if the story is fictional.

Nell's Room
06-06-2012, 01:03 AM
If he lied about it he should be booted from the show (if he hasn't already) and publicly shamed.

OCA
06-06-2012, 06:57 AM
Im far from a hero. Merely Served.

Youre so jelly of me that your eyes are green

Sorry, you don't write on the level of a 3rd grade cub scout much less an army major...........your claims of service are highly suspect, probably more the case of building an online persona because your real life persona is embarrasing.

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 09:35 AM
Just saw a clip from one of those thousand towing shows turned reality, and on one of those they were about to tow some guys truck. He gave them a sob story about how he's been in Iraq for well over a year and that's why he wasn't making payments. They were believing his story, until the dopes probation officer walked over, who he was meeting with, and laughed in his face and told the camera guy that he never even served.

gabosaurus
06-06-2012, 10:24 AM
Sorry, you don't write on the level of a 3rd grade cub scout much less an army major...........your claims of service are highly suspect, probably more the case of building an online persona because your real life persona is embarrasing.

http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/000/10/000-1007162622-pot_kettle.jpg

Noir
06-06-2012, 10:31 AM
If you are on one of those TV "talent" shows where the winners are decided by audience votes, it greatly helps to have a good sob story. Even if the story is fictional.

I see, and human people care about this? Le sigh.

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 10:33 AM

Americans care about our military heroes, and this guy allegedly was a purple heart recipient from Afghanistan. Only he wasn't.

gabosaurus
06-06-2012, 10:37 AM

You would be surprised. The primary target audience for TV "reality shows" are women and viewers under the age of 25. That is why the finals of shows like American Idol usually match a cute guy against a cute girl. If you are a wounded veteran or someone who has overcome great adversity in your life, the audience will root for you regardless of whether you have talent. It's a ploy.

Noir
06-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Americans care about our military heroes, and this guy allegedly was a purple heart recipient from Afghanistan. Only he wasn't.

but what does that have to do with whatever talent he is said to possess?

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 10:41 AM
but what does that have to do with whatever talent he is said to possess?

He said he stuttered as a result of the bomb he was hit with, but is only able to sing without stuttering. A "feel good story" that was nothing more than a lie. If it were true though, it would be quite an inspiring story.

Noir
06-06-2012, 10:43 AM
He said he stuttered as a result of the bomb he was hit with, but is only able to sing without stuttering. A "feel good story" that was nothing more than a lie. If it were true though, it would be quite an inspiring story.

...maybe i just wasn't meant for this world xD

darin
06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Noir,

You are too smart to play stupid.

Sincerely,

Honesty.

jimnyc
...maybe i just wasn't meant for this world xD

Some American group is planning on building a colony in Mars and start inhabiting it by 2023 I think I read. Maybe you can go live there! :lol:

logroller
What's more disgusting than a fake war hero? Reality shows that pander the sacrifices of others to garner better ratings. All the sheeple get pissed when the attractive ram they'd been following turns out to be wolf in disguise.

Noir
06-06-2012, 10:46 AM
Noir,

You are too smart to play stupid.

Sincerely,

Honesty.

In what sense? Obviously i don't watch the show, but its hardly stupid to assume that the point of the show is to find the most talented, not people with some talent and a sob story =/

jimnyc
06-06-2012, 10:55 AM
In what sense? Obviously i don't watch the show, but its hardly stupid to assume that the point of the show is to find the most talented, not people with some talent and a sob story =/

Talent is the key to winning, but it's adding to the story that makes it MORE worth watching. Same as Susan Boyle (not military!)... But it wasn't JUST because she was a fabulous singer - but the story - that she was like 50yrs old, shy & looks like a beast! Just makes for a better story than just a pure singer.

gabosaurus
06-06-2012, 10:57 AM

The "talent" part is just a ploy to get you to watch the show. And the commercials that accompany it.
It's like if you went to a bar that was having a "talent contest." You aren't going to vote for the woman who sang a flawless opera aria. You are going to vote for the cute blonde with large boobs.

OCA
06-06-2012, 11:05 AM
http://www.freedomsphoenix.com/Uploads/Graphics/000/10/000-1007162622-pot_kettle.jpg

Oh no Gabs, i'm as much an asshole to those in real life who deserve it as I am here. On the flip side i'm as sweet and respectful as can be here just like in real life..again to those deserving. My only, some see it as a problem I don't,thing is there are no second chances. Once you fuck with me or screw me i'm the worst pile of shit thorn in your side and i'll use any info. that is fed to me no matter how personal or no matter the source in order to gain an advantage.

Now if you don't believe me take yourself as an example, you've been here quite a long time and as far as I knmow i've never said a cross word to you and vice versa, there are others that come to mind, Abbey being one.....never had a cross word with her and that goes back to USMB before she was on staff and when I was so there can be no accusations of brownnosing. Ask her if you think i'm lying.

As for a 3rd grade level...come on, who are you shitting?

gabosaurus
06-06-2012, 11:11 AM
OCA, you know what I am getting at. Your attacks on ConHog in this matter are groundless and reflect poorly on your character.
This is not an attack on you personally. I have no basis for such. I merely believe you are wrong on this issue, and it is making you look bad.

Noir
06-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Talent is the key to winning, but it's adding to the story that makes it MORE worth watching. Same as Susan Boyle (not military!)... But it wasn't JUST because she was a fabulous singer - but the story - that she was like 50yrs old, shy & looks like a beast! Just makes for a better story than just a pure singer.

The Susan Boyle thing was about as condescending a story as i've ever heard, people where shocked, shocked i tell you that someone who didn't look the way they thought she should look could sing! Idiots, the whole thing was a PR set up and i'm sure it made a lot of people a lot of money because the show forced the public to make assumptions about a woman and then made them feel bad for making those assumptions, on only redemption from which was to condescend this woman into stardom and buy her music.

It's quite difficult to work out which is worse, the cynical (but successful) tv producers or the gullible, and judgemental (but easy to part with cash) public.

Should she of one the show by her voice alone? Maybe, idk, i didn't watch the show though from what i have heard she has a remarkable voice, but the fact that people needed the 'she's ugly' kick to really get behind her portrays a much greater ugliness.

OCA
06-06-2012, 11:24 AM
OCA, you know what I am getting at. Your attacks on ConHog in this matter are groundless and reflect poorly on your character.
This is not an attack on you personally. I have no basis for such. I merely believe you are wrong on this issue, and it is making you look bad.

Maybe so but he's a douche and deserving of such......it is what it is.

ConHog
06-06-2012, 11:35 AM
I thought all flames were being moved to the steel cage now? :shrug:

OCA
06-06-2012, 11:37 AM
I thought all flames were being moved to the steel cage now? :shrug:

Thats fine, move it but I kinda laugh when you throw in your little wannabe mod blurbs like this.:laugh2:
:laugh2:

logroller
06-06-2012, 11:48 AM
Thats fine, move it but I kinda laugh when you throw in your little wannabe mod blurbs like this.:laugh2:
:laugh2:
Your first post was a decent rib, loosely associated to the thread topic. The latter posts were were pretty blatant flames; you're smart enough to know the difference-- maybe you should moderate yourself. Subtle jabs are one thing, but there's nothing funny about derailing a discussion thread.:thumb: