PDA

View Full Version : Amendments threaten immigration deal

nevadamedic
05-22-2007, 04:24 PM
WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Senate Tuesday could debate and vote on two Democratic amendments that would dramatically alter the bipartisan legislation announced last week.

The bill is the result of a deal struck after nearly three months of bipartisan talks and endorsed by the White House last week. It would offer the estimated 12 million undocumented immigrants now in the United States a path to citizenship, boost border controls and establish a guest-worker program that would grant two-year residency for up to 400,000 people. (Interactive:Immigration bill at a glance)

North Dakota Democrat Sen. Byron Dorgan's amendment would eliminate the guest worker program entirely. The amendment offered by Sen. Jeff Bingaman, D-New Mexico, would cut the program in half.

Many Democrats don't like the program because they think it drives down wages for American workers and creates a permanent underclass of immigrant workers. (Watch how the bill is already being blasted from all sides )

Republicans generally favor a strong guest worker program because businesses say they need the labor.

Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, one of the negotiators who crafted the agreement, said he is concerned about both amendments passing but especially Bingaman's because a similar amendment passed last year with 79 votes.

Graham said passage of the amendment "would throw things out of kilter but not completely off track."

No word yet what Republicans will offer as an amendment but Sen. James Inhofe, R-Oklahoma, said Monday he's hoping it will be his proposal to make English the official language of the U.S.

Key bill negotiators are to huddle privately before floor action begins to determine how they'll vote on the various amendments. They say they'll do this each day to ensure they can preserve the "grand bargain" they forged.

The bill survived its first hurdle Monday evening, a 69-23 procedural vote that brought the measure to the Senate floor. Opponents argued the 380-page bill needed closer scrutiny before coming before the chamber, but they fell short of the 41 votes needed to keep it off the floor.

After saying they wanted to act on the bill before the Memorial Day holiday, Senate leaders set aside two weeks for debate, with a week-long break for Memorial Day in between.

Some lawmakers complained they have not yet finished reading the 380-page bill, which was distributed over the weekend.

"Why are we in the midst of this rush to judgment, this rush to pass this bill?" asked Sen. David Vitter, R-Louisiana. "I believe there's a very simple political answer, and it is that if the American people fully understood what is buried in this bill, there would be a massive outcry against it."

Vitter complained that the legislation was coming to the floor without review by Senate committees or an analysis of its financial impact by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office. And Sen. Jeff Sessions, R-Alabama, said the bill "needs some time to be disinfected by the light of day."

But one of the bill's architects, Massachusetts Democrat Edward Kennedy, called the plan "strong, realistic and fair."

"It provides tough new enforcement at the border and the work site," Kennedy said. "It allows a realistic path to family security and eventual citizenship for millions of men, women and children already here. And it provides a new system for allocating visas in the future that stresses family reunion and national economic needs."

The measure would grant immediate work authorization to undocumented workers who arrived in the United States before January 1, 2007. Heads of households would have to return to their home countries within eight years, with a guaranteed the right to return, and applicants would also have to pay a $5,000 penalty.

Kennedy said to qualify for legal status, undocumented workers have to work, pay taxes, learn English and "get in line for their green cards" behind people who have already applied legally.

It would also give the Department of Homeland Security new tools to crack down on employers who hire illegal immigrants and double the size of the Border Patrol by adding 14,000 new agents.

The bill has drawn fire from conservative critics, who blasted it as "amnesty" for undocumented workers; and from liberals, who say it unfairly limits opportunities for unskilled workers and would split families.

"Instead of punishing these people, a few senators and the administration have crafted a large-scale get-out-of-jail-free pass," said Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Kentucky.

Graham challenged critics to "do more than just shout amnesty."

"This debate is about the future of the United States, when it comes to our national security, our employment needs, our ability to compete with the world for the labor force that exists," he said. "And at the heart of this debate, it's about who we are as a people."

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid said the bill is "not perfect," and warned that as written, it could end up creating a "permanent underclass" of guest workers. But he said the measure can be amended during debate.

"I think we can all agree that the spirit of bipartisanship behind it is encouraging. We'll continue along that road in the coming days," said Reid, D-Nevada.

But one of the bill's supporters, Pennsylvania Republican Sen. Arlen Specter, said its advocates represent "a very fragile coalition." If the fundamental elements of the proposal are changed, "We're going to run the risk of losing senators," he said.

President Bush backed the measure last week, telling reporters it would treat immigrants "without amnesty but without animosity." A former Texas governor, Bush has long sought to overhaul American immigration policies and successfully courted Latino support during his political career. (Watch Bush administration defend bill and Democrats express doubts )

A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll taken in early May found 80 percent support for creating a path for illegal immigrants to seek U.S. citizenship, provided they had a job and paid back taxes. But respondents were closely split on the idea of a guest-worker program, with 48 percent supporting the concept and 50 percent opposed.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/05/22/congress.immigration/index.html

Pale Rider
05-22-2007, 04:29 PM
Why do I feel ill every time after I read shit like this? I feel like puking, and then beating the shit out of anybody that supports this treason.

Pale Rider
05-22-2007, 04:32 PM
A CNN/Opinion Research Corp. poll taken in early May found 80 percent support for creating a path for illegal immigrants to seek U.S. citizenship, provided they had a job and paid back taxes.

And this is just bullshit. "Creating a path" is just another way to say "AMNESTY," and there's NOWHERE CLOSE to 80% of Americans supporting that. Leave it to the Communist News Network to come up with those numbers.

Doniston
05-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Why do I feel ill every time after I read shit like this? I feel like puking, and then beating the shit out of anybody that supports this treason.Beating the sh1t out of someone either verbally, physically, or figuratively seems to be your forte' and the only way you can cope with people disagreeing with you. It isn't at all treasonlike in spite of your misgivings.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 12:35 AM
Why do I feel ill every time after I read shit like this? I feel like puking, and then beating the shit out of anybody that supports this treason.

I feel the same way. I have wrtitten 40 Senators and Congressman Heller and Porter from our state. If you want I can give you the names of the ones I wrote so you can write them too. I also can get you Heller and Porters address on the net if you want.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 12:37 AM
Beating the sh1t out of someone either verbally, physically, or figuratively seems to be your forte' and the only way you can cope with people disagreeing with you. It isn't at all treasonlike in spite of your misgivings.

He is just venting, are you stalking him now? You seem to think you know everything about him verytime he makes a statement. I have also seen him disagree with people and not threaten them, as we have disagreed on several occasions and not once has he EVER threatned me. Your the one who tries to egg him on with these little immature comment.

05-23-2007, 12:44 AM
Shucks.... it would be such a shame if the amendments shut this bill down... Im all broken up inside. What ever will we do if we dont grant amnesty to all these illegal aliens?

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 01:16 AM
Shucks.... it would be such a shame if the amendments shut this bill down... Im all broken up inside. What ever will we do if we dont grant amnesty to all these illegal aliens?

If nothing else, it takes 40 Senators to squash it. I have written a ton of them, so if your interested in writing them I can give you the websites to go where you can email them.

Doniston
05-23-2007, 10:34 AM
He is just venting, are you stalking him now? You seem to think you know everything about him verytime he makes a statement. I have also seen him disagree with people and not threaten them, as we have disagreed on several occasions and not once has he EVER threatned me. Your the one who tries to egg him on with these little immature comment. then you haven't been paying attention. This specific time, I addressed him when he had not yet addressed me, but usually it is the other way around.

BUT:

I will always comment to anyone who makes such vicious statements.

Lastly, I realize you are upset about it too, as am I, but do you agree with him that it is treason???