PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Most Americans want full or partial overturn of Obamacare

Little-Acorn
06-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Months ago, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments by the Obama lawyers and the defense lawyers over Obamacare.

Some days later, the Justices got together and voted on whether to strike down all or part of Obamacare, but they have not released the results of their vote.

The final ruling is expected to be released in the next few weeks.

But for the last three months, American opinion has been pretty unchanging: They want it GONE.

If the Supremes strike down the entire law, that's that.

But if they strike down only the mandate as unconstitutional, but leave the rest, then Obamacare will die a long, slow death. Chronically ill people will continue to sign onl, in hopes of taking more from the system than they put in; while healthy people (which is most Americans) will avoid it like the plague. And so the insurance cpompanies who must support it, will be drained of resources faster and faster, until they go out of business.

Hopefully the Supremes will make it quick and merciful... for the country, not for the Obamanites.

--------------------------------------

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/jun/7/most-americans-full-partial-overturn-health-care/

Poll: Most Americans want full or partial overturn of health care law

by Paige Winfield Cunningham
June 7, 2012, 12:42PM

More than two-thirds of Americans hope the Supreme Court justices will overturn some or all of President Obama's health care overhaul when they announce their decision later this month, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll released Thursday morning.

Forty-one percent of respondents said they want the court to undo the entire law, while another 27 percent said it should strike the individual mandate to buy health insurance but leave the rest of the law intact.

The poll showed little change in public opinion since March, when the court considered constitutional challenges to the law in a marathon week of hearings.

Its decision is sure to color the presidential race as Americans remain sharply divided over the health care law, largely along party lines.

The law is also unpopular among independent voters, with nearly three-fourths saying they hope the court overturns at least some of it, while 20 percent said all of it should be upheld.

Noir
06-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Forty-one percent of respondents said they want the court to undo the entire law, while another 27 percent said it should strike the individual mandate to buy health insurance but leave the rest of the law intact.

41 and 27 is 68. Meaning 32% wanted it left intact?

Put another way - That would mean roughly 59% of people want all of the act except the individual mandate kept, with a further 32% (more than half of the majority group) wanting the mandate.

Statistis are all about how you tell 'em, especially when there's a middle ground.

jimnyc
06-07-2012, 05:44 PM
41 and 27 is 68. Meaning 32% wanted it left intact?

Put another way - That would mean roughly 59% of people want all of the act except the individual mandate kept, with a further 32% (more than half of the majority group) wanting the mandate.

Statistis are all about how you tell 'em, especially when there's a middle ground.

Emmm, no. This has been in nationwide polls for months and months, and surely, the majority of Americans want the plan repealed. 41% of respondents wanting the whole thing gone DOES NOT mean that 59% responded with keeping it.

Noir
06-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Emmm, no. This has been in nationwide polls for months and months, and surely, the majority of Americans want the plan repealed. 41% of respondents wanting the whole thing gone DOES NOT mean that 59% responded with keeping it.

41% want it totally repelled
27% want it partly repelled
That leaves 32% who don't want any of it repelled.

So (like the OP) you can say '68%, the majority, want it totally or partially repelled.'
While someone else could say '59%, the majority, want it totally or partially enacted.'
Both are correct, and though each gives a totally different appearance.

Little-Acorn
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM

So (like the OP) you can say '68%, the majority, want it totally or partially repelled.'
While someone else could say '59%, the majority, want it totally or partially enacted.'

There is no truth to the rumor that when Noir comes home and finds one end of his house on fire, and starts spraying water on that half, it means he wants the other half to burn to the ground.

jimnyc
06-07-2012, 05:53 PM

Ok, let me rephrase, since I'm sure you didn't click through to the actual poll... Only 29% of Americans would want just the mandate overturned while only 23 would want the entire thing to stand. 7 in 10 want it to be history in some way. I assure you, it's not popular over here and 7 in 10 wanting it repealed sounds about right.

The percentage that wants to see the entire law abolished is up slightly since April (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57415623-503544/obama-romney-in-dead-heat-cbs-news-new-york-times-poll-finds/), when 37 percent said they wanted the court to overturn the full law, 29 percent said only the mandate should be overturned and 23 percent wanted the whole law upheld.

Linked to from the article - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57448750-503544/poll-most-want-supreme-court-to-overturn-individual-health-care-mandate/?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

jimnyc
06-07-2012, 06:00 PM
Just wanted to add, I notice you wrote "repelled" instead of "repealed". But don't worry, we see Obama and his work as that of a vermin or insect as well! :lol:

jimnyc
06-07-2012, 06:16 PM
Let me add this, which is in the same article:

42% of Democrats want to keep the entire law
28% of Democrats want to kill the mandate and keep the rest
20% of Democrats would like to repeal the entire law

A highly partisan bill/law jammed through by Democrats, and they have trouble even getting support in their own party.

OCA
06-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Months ago, the Supreme Court heard oral arguments by the Obama lawyers and the defense lawyers over Obamacare.

Some days later, the Justices got together and voted on whether to strike down all or part of Obamacare, but they have not released the results of their vote.

The final ruling is expected to be released in the next few weeks.

But for the last three months, American opinion has been pretty unchanging: They want it GONE.

If the Supremes strike down the entire law, that's that.

But if they strike down only the mandate as unconstitutional, but leave the rest, then Obamacare will die a long, slow death. Chronically ill people will continue to sign onl, in hopes of taking more from the system than they put in; while healthy people (which is most Americans) will avoid it like the plague. And so the insurance cpompanies who must support it, will be drained of resources faster and faster, until they go out of business.

Hopefully the Supremes will make it quick and merciful... for the country, not for the Obamanites.

--------------------------------------

http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/inside-politics/2012/jun/7/most-americans-full-partial-overturn-health-care/

Poll: Most Americans want full or partial overturn of health care law

by Paige Winfield Cunningham
June 7, 2012, 12:42PM

More than two-thirds of Americans hope the Supreme Court justices will overturn some or all of President Obama's health care overhaul when they announce their decision later this month, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll released Thursday morning.

The poll showed little change in public opinion since March, when the court considered constitutional challenges to the law in a marathon week of hearings.

Its decision is sure to color the presidential race as Americans remain sharply divided over the health care law, largely along party lines.

The law is also unpopular among independent voters, with nearly three-fourths saying they hope the court overturns at least some of it, while 20 percent said all of it should be upheld.

According to your poll a majority of Americans want some part of Obamacare left in intact, is that how you read it?

OCA
06-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Ok, let me rephrase, since I'm sure you didn't click through to the actual poll... Only 29% of Americans would want just the mandate overturned while only 23 would want the entire thing to stand. 7 in 10 want it to be history in some way. I assure you, it's not popular over here and 7 in 10 wanting it repealed sounds about right.

Linked to from the article - http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57448750-503544/poll-most-want-supreme-court-to-overturn-individual-health-care-mandate/?tag=cbsnewsMainColumnArea

Jimbo, 41% on 1 question and 27% on the other....we don't get to add the two together.

Little-Acorn
06-07-2012, 07:07 PM
According to your poll a majority of Americans want some part of Obamacare left in intact, is that how you read it?

See post #5.

And the 6th paragraph of the OP.

OCA
06-07-2012, 07:18 PM
See post #5.

And the 6th paragraph of the OP.

I've got 41% want to undo the whole thing while 27% want to strike the individual mandate and leave the rest in intact.

Thats straight from the OP. I'm just going on what it says and don't presume to know what the other 59% and 73% said.

Post#5 has no bearing.

Let me ask you this, the system is broke, nobody can argue that, what is LA's solution?

Missileman
06-07-2012, 07:51 PM
I've got 41% want to undo the whole thing while 27% want to strike the individual mandate and leave the rest in intact.

Thats straight from the OP. I'm just going on what it says and don't presume to know what the other 59% and 73% said.

Post#5 has no bearing.

Let me ask you this, the system is broke, nobody can argue that, what is LA's solution?

Without the mandate, about the only thing you can leave intact is letting parents keep their kids on their policies until they're 26. Without the mandate, you can't make insurance companies cover pre-existing conditions. Without the mandate, the insurance rates will have to be much higher to cover those millions currently uninsured (who want insurance) and will be an unaffordable entitlement.

jimnyc
06-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Jimbo, 41% on 1 question and 27% on the other....we don't get to add the two together.

Post#5 has no bearing.

WTF? Pass what yer smoking my way!!! I'll copy and paste it clearly from the page for you...

A new CBS News/New York Times poll reveals that nearly seven in ten Americans want the Supreme Court to overturn either all or President Obama's health care law or strike down just the individual mandate.

another 27 percent of respondents saying they want the court to keep the law but overturn the mandate. Nearly one-quarter - twenty-four percent - of respondents want the entire law upheld.

Bold - nearly 70% of Americans want the law repealed, or the mandate at the very minimum.

Red - Only 27% want to keep the law and remove the mandate. Only 24% want the entire law upheld. <---- if 24 and 27% respectively want the law kept in place - well do the math yourself.

OCA
06-07-2012, 08:14 PM
WTF? Pass what yer smoking my way!!! I'll copy and paste it clearly from the page for you...

Bold - nearly 70% of Americans want the law repealed, or the mandate at the very minimum.

Red - Only 27% want to keep the law and remove the mandate. Only 24% want the entire law upheld. <---- if 24 and 27% respectively want the law kept in place - well do the math yourself.

Then why piut the 41? I don't care anyway, i'm gonna drop my insurance but still receive healthcare payed for by the taxpayer, will save me alot of cash.

jimnyc
06-07-2012, 08:18 PM
Then why piut the 41? I don't care anyway, i'm gonna drop my insurance but still receive healthcare payed for by the taxpayer, will save me alot of cash.

"You get what you pay for" - so I hope you enjoy 2nd rate care. You can stand in line at the ER with the other Gringo haters! :lol:

OCA
06-07-2012, 08:23 PM
"You get what you pay for" - so I hope you enjoy 2nd rate care. You can stand in line at the ER with the other Gringo haters! :lol:

Not true, you get great care from what I hear! And you get no premium bill every quarter!

Little-Acorn
06-07-2012, 08:26 PM
(oops, duplicate post, sorry)