PDA

View Full Version : Military suicides continue to rise

gabosaurus
06-08-2012, 10:28 AM
Yet another consequence of the Bush War of Aggression.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/military-suicides-continue-rise/article_101d9493-bb5a-5f30-a8e1-373f5a001d59.html

CSM
06-08-2012, 10:42 AM

http://www.stltoday.com/news/national/military-suicides-continue-rise/article_101d9493-bb5a-5f30-a8e1-373f5a001d59.html

Yep but now it's Obama's War of Attrition. Bam Bam is the CinC. It is his (ALL his) at this point.

I have to wonder how many suicides there have been related to the War on Drugs, War on Poverty and other lib "wars". It would be interesting to see that little metric!

aboutime
06-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Thanks gabosaurus. You sound just like Obama. Still blaming Bush for EVERYTHING!

DragonStryk72
06-08-2012, 02:41 PM

4 years into office, Obama was does not get to pass the buck on this one. It's his mess, and has been for years now.

revelarts
06-08-2012, 03:13 PM
I think we all should take a step back on this issue and not try use this to lay partisan blame and try to relieve the troops.
The folks killing themselves, or about to, probably don't give a d@mn who president at this point.

gabosaurus
06-08-2012, 04:25 PM
4 years into office, Obama was does not get to pass the buck on this one. It's his mess, and has been for years now.

Bush sent thousands of troops to an unnecessary war. Obama is bringing them home (though not at the rate he promised in 2008, which I hold him accountable for).

Military suicides began to rise dramatically when more troops began coming home. Where they obviously need extensive mental and physical help. The kind that this country is unable to offer at this point. Because of spending cuts.
There are a lot of sick veterans out there who need help adjusting to their surrounding. Some of them might be on this board.

Trigg
06-08-2012, 04:45 PM
Bush sent thousands of troops to an unnecessary war. Obama is bringing them home (though not at the rate he promised in 2008, which I hold him accountable for).

Military suicides began to rise dramatically when more troops began coming home. Where they obviously need extensive mental and physical help. The kind that this country is unable to offer at this point. Because of spending cuts.
There are a lot of sick veterans out there who need help adjusting to their surrounding. Some of them might be on this board.

I'd venture to say that the reason our troops have such a hard time adjusting now compaired to other wars is now they are home almost immediately. They are thrown right back into normal life.

Where as before, they were shipped home, which took longer and gave them time to come to terms with what they had seen and done.

I'm sure it would be hard on the families, but there sould be IMHO some down time. Instead of going from the battlefield to the living room in 24 hours.

Gabby, this only thing I disagree with you on is stating this is Bush's war. It isn't anymore.

gabosaurus
06-08-2012, 07:04 PM
I refer to it as "Bush's War" because he started it. When Obama took office, it did become his war. One that he pledged to stop and has yet to fulfill that promise.
Before I cast my vote for Obama, I would want a commitment to end ALL participation in hostilities by American forces. Along with a pledge to NOT start further hostile actions under dubious circumstances.
I would expect the same of Romney, though that appears a lot more doubtful.

If I were the NRA, I would be funneling money into Romney's campaign like there is no tomorrow. Because they have to know that gun control is on the agenda for Obama's second term.

Dilloduck
06-08-2012, 07:17 PM
I refer to it as "Bush's War" because he started it. When Obama took office, it did become his war. One that he pledged to stop and has yet to fulfill that promise.
Before I cast my vote for Obama, I would want a commitment to end ALL participation in hostilities by American forces. Along with a pledge to NOT start further hostile actions under dubious circumstances.

If I were the NRA, I would be funneling money into Romney's campaign like there is no tomorrow. Because they have to know that gun control is on the agenda for Obama's second term.

Bah--you refer to it as "Bush's War" cuz you're a liberal.

Nell's Room
06-09-2012, 03:17 AM

I think a lot of them would commit suicide because they don't get enough support when they return home. All soldiers should have immediate access to mental health services to ensure they can cope with every day life. Its because they don't get this support that they become so depressed they can't deal with the pain anymore.

darin
06-09-2012, 07:09 AM
What about when suicides when down? They don't "continue" to rise. But sometimes the rate does. Gabby almost seems happy -I wonder if she views our Military like in-womb babies.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-09-2012, 02:21 PM

I resent that accusation.
Have you any valid reason for making it?
If you do, dont stand on humility, boldly state thier name(s)...
We with inquistive minds would like to know..-Tyr

aboutime
06-09-2012, 04:18 PM
[/B]

I resent that accusation.
Have you any valid reason for making it?
If you do, dont stand on humility, boldly state thier name(s)...
We with inquistive minds would like to know..-Tyr

Same old stuff Tyr. Just a different place, and time. But the repeated same old words are just laughable. So, consider the source. Let it go.
As Jesus once said on the cross "Forgive them. For they know NOT what they do."
Even if those who are doing it do not believe in a God, or Jesus. It's still comical when they always blame Bush. Trying to maintain the Obama Image of doing exactly the same things.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-09-2012, 04:37 PM
Same old stuff Tyr. Just a different place, and time. But the repeated same old words are just laughable. So, consider the source. Let it go.
As Jesus once said on the cross "Forgive them. For they know NOT what they do."
Even if those who are doing it do not believe in a God, or Jesus. It's still comical when they always blame Bush. Trying to maintain the Obama Image of doing exactly the same things.

In my opinion that accusation goes over the line a bit too far.
With a broad brush it tries to paint those that disagree with the dem platform and its newest marxist hero as being sick vets- mentally sick is the implication..
Sure we've heard it all before so I just asked for the name of the person or persons here that are supposed to be not quite right.
She can answer or not as it was a request not a demand...-Tyr

ConHog
06-09-2012, 04:45 PM

Gunny has been gone for a few months now. :lol:

DragonStryk72
06-09-2012, 05:28 PM

And Obama continued it. It became Obama's War when he chose to keep it going, and looked into starting on with Iran. Sorry, but Obama gets no pass. It is Obama's Wars now.

Of course gun control is on Obama's agenda. Why not? It keep people distracted well enough, without him actually having to try and fix anything.

gabosaurus
06-09-2012, 05:31 PM
And Obama continued it. It became Obama's War when he chose to keep it going, and looked into starting on with Iran. Sorry, but Obama gets no pass. It is Obama's Wars now.

That's pretty much what I said. Duh... :slap:

DragonStryk72
06-09-2012, 10:11 PM
That's pretty much what I said. Duh... :slap:

Except for continuing to call it Bush's War, which is an attempt to continue blaming the current situation on Bush, as opposed to Obama. How about instead, we split the difference and call it the Iraq/Afghan Wars?

ConHog
06-09-2012, 10:12 PM
Except for continuing to call it Bush's War, which is an attempt to continue blaming the current situation on Bush, as opposed to Obama. How about instead, we split the difference and call it the Iraq/Afghan Wars?

I know right? As if any POTUS is single handily involving us in a 10 year war?

DragonStryk72
06-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Now, as to addressing the post-war suicides rates rising among the military, I have the following to say: It happens that way after every war. Gulf War, Vietnam, Korea, WWII, WWI, Civil War, it happens every time troops come home from the war. The suicide rate goes up, because for many, they tough through the sheer degree of horrors they've seen, or even been a part of, but they do so by repressing those feelings. When they get home, there's just too much empty time, really, and so they begin to have to deal with it. Unfortunately, there are many who simply cannot deal, or who wait too long to seek help.

This is the price of war, whether righteous or unrighteous, that good men will die, and will be irreparably harmed in the course of duty.