PDA

View Full Version : Researchers find report from first doctor to treat Lincoln after gunshot wound Read

WiccanLiberal
06-10-2012, 08:14 PM
"The first doctor to reach President Abraham Lincoln after he was shot in a Washington theater rushed to his ceremonial box and found him paralyzed, comatose and leaning against his wife. Dr. Charles Leale ordered brandy and water to be brought immediately.
Leale's long-lost report of efforts to help the mortally wounded president, written just hours after his death, was discovered in a box at the National Archives late last month...The historians who discovered the report believe it was filed, packed in a box, stored at the archives and not seen for 147 years. While it doesn't add much new information, "it's the first draft" of the tragedy, said Daniel Stowell, director of the Papers of Abraham Lincoln.
"What's fascinating about this report is its immediacy and its clinical, just-the-facts approach," Stowell said. "There's not a lot of flowery language, not a lot of emotion.
http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/07/researchers-find-report-from-first-doctor-to-treat-lincoln-after-gunshot-wound/

Given the popularity of the 16th President, this is a marvelous find for historians.

Shadow
06-19-2012, 08:26 AM
How did I miss this one? Great article...I love these kinds of stories. Reminds me of one I read the other day along the same lines...about finding old Civil War photo's that were never identified and now trying to solve the mystery of who the pictures are of.

Civil War photos: Help sought to solve old mystery

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — The names of the two little girls are an enduring mystery, their images found among crumpled bodies on Civil War battlefields. Each is posed primly on chairs, ringlets cascading past the rouged cheeks of one, the other dressed in a frilly hoop dress.
But no one knows the identities of the girls in the photographs, or the stories they might tell.
The photograph of one girl was found between the bodies of two soldiers — one Union, one Confederate, at Port Republic, Va., 150 years ago this June. The other was retrieved from a slain Union soldier's haversack in 1865 on a Virginia farm field days before a half-decade of blood-letting would end with a surrender signed not far away at Appomattox.
Though photography was in its infancy when the war broke out, its use was widespread. Many soldiers carried photographs of loved ones into battle and for the first time, photographic images of war were available — and the Museum of the Confederacy has its own vast collection of images today, many of them identified.
But now museum officials are releasing the unidentified images of the two girls, along with six other enigmatic photographs, on the admittedly remote chance someone might recognize a familial resemblance or make a connection to a battlefield where they were found.

http://news.yahoo.com/civil-war-photos-help-sought-solve-old-mystery-092732336.html