PDA

View Full Version : So this is what PBS does with our taxes

Abbey Marie
05-22-2007, 05:30 PM
Tuesday, May 22, 2007
PBS Censors Melanie Morgan; Feminism Dies; Bullies Reign

The taxpayer-funded Public Broadcasting Service has censored conservative San Francisco radio talk host Melanie Morgan, and banned her from future appearances, after she stood up to and refused to be bullied by a liberal male guest on the News Hour show earlier this month.

PBS claims that Morgan was banned due to viewer complaints that she was "rude" to her opponent on the segment, because she interrupted him four times. But a review of the transcript shows that interruptions were a two-way street, as they are on many such formats, and that her opponent interrupted Ms. Morgan an equal number of times without rebuke or penalty.

The scenario that led to Ms. Morgan's censorship was a debate on News Hour between her and Jon Soltz, co-founder and chair of VoteVets.org, an organization that supports withdrawing from Iraq.

Soltz served as an Army captain in Iraq for about four months 2003, and says he speaks for veterans of the War on Terror. Soltz said that his organization "is the leading political organization in America of Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans. And not only do we represent thousands of Iraq and Afghanistan war veterans, but we represent over 40,000 veterans and support our veterans across the nation.

And we're working as part of a much larger coalition, Americans against Escalation in Iraq, which represents many, you know, base organizations, the Center for American Progress, MoveOn.org, and so forth."

Since approximately 1.4 million servicemen and women have served in Afghanistan and Iraq since the terrorist attacks of 9-11 it is apparent that even including veterans from other eras, Soltz's power base amounts to less than 4 percent of all who have served in the War on Terror.

By contrast, Ms. Morgan chairs Move America Forward, which represents "over a million people who belong to our organization, which is the largest pro-American, pro-troop organization in the United States. And we are a group that speaks loudly for the military families, Gold Star family members who still support the war, who still support the president, and our efforts to stabilize Iraq, and the global war on terror ..."

But numbers aren't the issue here. The issue is that Ms. Morgan gave as good as she got on the show, stood her ground, refused to be bullied and as a result has been censored. Apparently conservative women are welcome on the News Hour only when they are demure, keep their eyes downcast, their voices barely above a whisper, their hands folded in their laps with a lace hanky handy to dab their eyes when they are suitably chastened, and adhere to the approved propaganda line instead of having a mind of their own.

What are they saying? Apparently a young man with obvious political aspirations on the left side of town can portray himself as speaking on behalf of veterans, and that is acceptable to PBS.

But a woman who speaks for an organization with a documented million-plus supporters is not allowed to disagree with the aforementioned young man without being banned from the taxpayer supported public airwaves.

Hello censorship, pleased to meet you propaganda, goodbye feminism.
I read the transcript of the exchange on PBS and the one thing I did not see was anything remotely resembling disrespect or disinformation coming from Morgan. What I saw was a woman who has opinions diametrically opposed to those of the featured guest, that being a male who served in the armed forces, and the confidence to meet said male veteran head on, issue by issue, with no backing down and no waffling.

Well, we certainly can't have that now can we?

Ms. Morgan said on the Hannity and Colmes show Monday night, May 21, that she wants a public apology from the show's producer. Morgan said she had several phone conversations with the producer prior to the show and was told that it was going to be a no-holds-barred, gloves off confrontation and to come prepared. So she did.
My first suggestion would be a full-scale investigation of PBS funding and expenditures to determine whether any improprieties exist.

That should be joined by a FCC investigation into whether taxpayer's were deceived into supporting a political propaganda outlet when they thought it was a non-political source of information.

http://www.ronaldwinterbooks.com/blog/

chum43
05-22-2007, 05:57 PM
we have all these threads on hypocrisy... this should be one... I can't even count the number of times hannity and or colmes have called for someone to be censored because of their opinions... not to mention if pbs is going to be investigated for being a propaganda machine, maybe fox news should too... even if it is privately owned.

-Cp
05-22-2007, 06:10 PM
we have all these threads on hypocrisy... this should be one... I can't even count the number of times hannity and or colmes have called for someone to be censored because of their opinions... not to mention if pbs is going to be investigated for being a propaganda machine, maybe fox news should too... even if it is privately owned.

Please link to anytime H&C have called for sensoring of anyone...

stephanie
05-22-2007, 06:11 PM
Good grief.....the article is about our tax funded channel being biased....

And automatically...Fox news is brought up...Even though it's independently owned....

:lame2:

nevadamedic
05-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I know Melanie, we worked with Move America Forward on a rally and she is one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

chum43
05-22-2007, 06:33 PM
It's called conflict of interest... and I didn't bring up fox news, part of the original post was about how she went on hannity and colmes calling for an apology.

stephanie
05-22-2007, 06:37 PM
It's called conflict of interest... and I didn't bring up fox news, part of the original post was about how she went on hannity and colmes calling for an apology.

You should be more upset about what PBS did to Melanie Morgan..

But, I see your not so much..:slap:

You're more worried about her going on Fox news...

chum43
05-22-2007, 06:43 PM
put words in my mouth go ahead, I never said i was more worried about one or the other, my point was it happens on both sides and it is wrong... going on fox news and crying about censorship or bias is ridiculous, My point is simply that we shouldn't be looking to stop censoring of only the people we agree with... but that is how it always happens...

pbs should be looked into, but so should every other major news outlet... it's just not going to happen, you only think things are wrong when it happens to someone you happen to agree with.

stephanie
05-22-2007, 06:50 PM
put words in my mouth go ahead, I never said i was more worried about one or the other, my point was it happens on both sides and it is wrong... going on fox news and crying about censorship or bias is ridiculous, My point is simply that we shouldn't be looking to stop censoring of only the people we agree with... but that is how it always happens...

PBS should be looked into, but so should every other major news outlet... it's just not going to happen, you only think things are wrong when it happens to someone you happen to agree with.

I'm not into censorship or the Fairness doctrine...

PBS should be looked at for bias(which I've felt it's been that way for years)....only because it FUNDED WITH TAXPAYERS MONIES..

chum43
05-22-2007, 07:03 PM
I'm not into censorship or the Fairness doctrine...

PBS should be looked at for bias(which I've felt it's been that way for years)....only because it FUNDED WITH TAXPAYERS MONIES..

I agree, but the conflicts of interest with all major media outlets is a problem, and I don't see how you could be for only looking into pbs, does it really matter how people are lied to and content censored? the point is the media lies and censors as a whole and it should be stopped.

stephanie
05-22-2007, 07:25 PM
I agree, but the conflicts of interest with all major media outlets is a problem, and I don't see how you could be for only looking into PBS, does it really matter how people are lied to and content censored? the point is the media lies and censors as a whole and it should be stopped.

I agree with ya on some of your points..

Don't know how we're going to stop it...

Sorry I jumped on ya, earlier....:cheers2:

krisy
05-22-2007, 09:59 PM

I think one would have a hard time finding that. Sean Hannity has been all for free speech,as is Colmes. Sean even defended Opie and Anthony if I'm correct. I've seen some pretty controversial guests on thier show,right down to the Black Panther idiot that always brings his personal security guards with him:laugh2:

In general,the media does need a lot of work tho. Not the commentary shows,the ones that are supposed to be reporting the news WITHOUT bias and opinion. Not many of them know how to do that anymore.

nevadamedic
05-22-2007, 10:01 PM
You should be more upset about what PBS did to Melanie Morgan..

But, I see your not so much..:slap:

You're more worried about her going on Fox news...

:clap:

chum43
05-22-2007, 10:22 PM
I take back singling out hannity and colmes' show... I was wrong, I just have a personal problem with sean hannity and disagree completely with him, I think he's completely wrong on most all topics but he does seem geniune and I guess he doesn't do anything in the way of censorship... but fox news and the people who privately and secretly fund them are just as bad if not worse than pbs has been in the past in terms of censorship and propaganda and opposition bullying... singling out pbs because they happen to bully people you agree with seems a bit hipocritical when the people you do agree with do plenty of that themselves... but they are publicly funded but that doesn't change the fact that the mainstream media is beyond repair and needs a complete overhaul. they don't just spin, they flat out lie, across the board.

krisy
05-22-2007, 10:38 PM
but they are publicly funded but that doesn't change the fact that the mainstream media is beyond repair and needs a complete overhaul. they don't just spin, they flat out lie, across the board.

:clap: :clap:

Now that I can agree with!!

They are out of control. No more journalism,just constant bias. It's a sad day when they even alter pictures.

Abbey Marie
05-22-2007, 11:25 PM
:clap: :clap:

Now that I can agree with!!

They are out of control. No more journalism,just constant bias. It's a sad day when they even alter pictures.

And National Guard records. :coffee:

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 12:31 AM
And National Guard records. :coffee:

What about The National Guard records??????????

stephanie
05-23-2007, 12:34 AM
What about The National Guard records??????????

Think....Dan Rather.:coffee:

gabosaurus
05-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Abbey, why are you upset about this. What you described happens on the Fox Network every single night.

stephanie
05-23-2007, 12:41 AM
Abbey, why are you upset about this. What you described happens on the Fox Network every single night.

And....abc,nbc,cbs,msnbc,cnn,pbs....all left leaning...

And then there is fox...at least they make an effort to try and make it balanced..

The other's don't even give a shit anymore...:poke:

Hobbit
05-23-2007, 12:53 AM
I take back singling out hannity and colmes' show... I was wrong, I just have a personal problem with sean hannity and disagree completely with him, I think he's completely wrong on most all topics but he does seem geniune and I guess he doesn't do anything in the way of censorship... but fox news and the people who privately and secretly fund them are just as bad if not worse than pbs has been in the past in terms of censorship and propaganda and opposition bullying... singling out pbs because they happen to bully people you agree with seems a bit hipocritical when the people you do agree with do plenty of that themselves... but they are publicly funded but that doesn't change the fact that the mainstream media is beyond repair and needs a complete overhaul. they don't just spin, they flat out lie, across the board.

Last I checked, Fox News was funded by cable, sattellite, and advertising revenues, all of which are about as big a secret as the Atlantic Ocean.

As for so-called 'censorship,' PBS is being singled out not because it's the only station with an opinion, but because it's a blatant opinion that is funded and propped up with money that has been taken from us by force. Would you like it if the government showed up at your door and shook you down for a couple hundred bucks to give to Limbaugh?

stephanie
05-23-2007, 01:00 AM
Last I checked, Fox News was funded by cable, satellite, and advertising revenues, all of which are about as big a secret as the Atlantic Ocean.

As for so-called 'censorship,' PBS is being singled out not because it's the only station with an opinion, but because it's a blatant opinion that is funded and propped up with money that has been taken from us by force. Would you like it if the government showed up at your door and shook you down for a couple hundred bucks to give to Limbaugh?

Totally agree with your post...

But, that last line cracked me up..I was picturing that in my mind.:laugh2:

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 01:36 AM
Think....Dan Rather.:coffee:

Im still confused.

5stringJeff
05-23-2007, 01:40 AM
No TV station should receive one penny of tax money, ever.

stephanie
05-23-2007, 01:56 AM
Im still confused.

:slap:

President Bush's national guard records that were forged(made up),that Dan Rather got caught trying to pass off as real...
Does that help any?

SassyLady
05-23-2007, 02:41 AM

Are you saying that FoxNews has banned individuals because they were "rude"? :link:

Give me a break.........everybody on FoxNews is rude to each other and I've not heard of one single person being banned or being told they would never be asked to come back again.

I sure wish they would ban some of their guests from ever coming back.

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 03:06 AM

President Bush's national guard records that were forged(made up),that Dan Rather got caught trying to pass off as real...
Does that help any?

Ok, still dont remember? :(

JLO
05-23-2007, 03:08 AM
That is the Media for you! Always turning stuff around. Twisting things up to get a rise out of people. Sad but true!

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 03:12 AM
That is the Media for you! Always turning stuff around. Twisting things up to get a rise out of people. Sad but true!

Thats because they are typically all Liberal.

stephanie
05-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Ok, still dont remember? :(

My goodness.......it was a HUGH STORY..
I don't know....:poke:

nevadamedic
05-23-2007, 03:34 AM
My goodness.......it was a HUGH STORY..
I don't know....:poke:

Well Steph, you are supposed to be on top of things here :)

stephanie
05-23-2007, 03:37 AM
Well Steph, you are supposed to be on top of things here :)

Well Nevada........So are YOU..

And yet.......You act like you...
Don't know about the Dan Rather documents.....hummmm?????

Now I know....

:bye1:

krisy
05-23-2007, 06:18 AM
Last I checked, Fox News was funded by cable, sattellite, and advertising revenues, all of which are about as big a secret as the Atlantic Ocean.

Exactly,Hobbit!!

People call Fox bias,but I see them more as pro America!:salute:
Where the bias accusation comes from...I don't know. They always have both sides on.

Pbs is rather in your face with their ideals and I agree with jeff,our money should not go to any t.v. station.

Joe Steel
05-23-2007, 06:35 AM

Does that help any?

The letters never were proven to be "forged." Legions of wingnuts spent countless hours playing with figments of their imaginations but never produced anything but speculation.

Joe Steel
05-23-2007, 06:39 AM
Melanie Morgan, apparently, is well-know hate radio talker. Her appearance on the The "News" Hour exhibits PBS' obvious and increasing rightwing bias. Banning her is a welcome surprise.

Nukeman
05-23-2007, 06:48 AM
The letters never were proven to be "forged." Legions of wingnuts spent countless hours playing with figments of their imaginations but never produced anything but speculation.

Why didn't they broadcast the story than???? They were caught red handed making shit up....

Lightning Waltz
05-23-2007, 07:30 AM

I found it funny that the same secretary who said that the letters couldn't have been typed on the typewriters they had at the time, also said that the content of the letters was accurate and something she believed her boss would have written.

Joe Steel
05-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I found it funny that the same secretary who said that the letters couldn't have been typed on the typewriters they had at the time, also said that the content of the letters was accurate and something she believed her boss would have written.

The letters didn't have to be typed on the typewriters the Guard had. Appropriate typewriters existed at the time and could have been used for the letters even if the Guard didn't own them. The typist just would have to typed the letters at some place other than the Guard's offices.

Joe Steel
05-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Why didn't they broadcast the story than???? They were caught red handed making shit up....

CBS is a rightwing media outlet. They didn't support Rather because they didn't want to upset the Bush Regime anymore than they already had.

5stringJeff
05-23-2007, 09:06 AM
CBS is a rightwing media outlet.

Wow. CBS is right wing? Compared to who - Pravda? Длиной живет виток работника!

krisy
05-23-2007, 09:53 AM
Melanie Morgan, apparently, is well-know hate radio talker. Her appearance on the The "News" Hour exhibits PBS' obvious and increasing rightwing bias. Banning her is a welcome surprise.

So you and PBS are not for free speech?

CBS is not right wing....youv'e got to be joking!!! :laugh2:

Seriously,read Bernard Goldberg's book BIAS,it's very informative about the left wing bias in the media.

Nukeman
05-23-2007, 10:21 AM
CBS is a rightwing media outlet. They didn't support Rather because they didn't want to upset the Bush Regime anymore than they already had.
You have got to be kidding right. The way all of you lefties out there talk, the only news agency that is rightwing is FOX just because they actually offer a differing opinion....

CBS rightwing pphhhbbbttttt........ :eek: :puke3: :banana:

Joe Steel
05-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Wow. CBS is right wing? Compared to who - Pravda? Длиной живет виток работника!

CBS, like all of the major media, serve as stenographers of the Bush Regime. The just broadcast or publish what they're told. They never ask tough questions of Regime spokesmen and never dig any deeper. That's not quite the same as Fox News and the Wall Street Journal but it's close enough to be called rightwing media.

KarlMarx
05-24-2007, 05:57 AM
CBS, like all of the major media, serve as stenographers of the Bush Regime. The just broadcast or publish what they're told. They never ask tough questions of Regime spokesmen and never dig any deeper. That's not quite the same as Fox News and the Wall Street Journal but it's close enough to be called rightwing media.

:lol: :laugh2: :lol: :cuckoo: :bs1: :tinfoil: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao::lmao:

Gaffer
05-24-2007, 10:12 AM

This folks is a prime example of a left wing moonbat in all his glory. If it's not communist propaganda its right wing. All media is to your right because your soooo far left you can even see the right.

pbs has been a liberal media since the 60's. They have been blantantly bias for the left since they have existed and have never deserved public funds to run their stations. I never have and never will donate to pbs.

cbs,nbc,abc, all times newspapers, washington post, rueters and ap are liberal biased news organizations. As are cnn, msnbc and cspan. They are all anti-Bush and their reporting is always geared toward making the Bush administration look bad. NEVER do they report anything positive done by the administration.

5stringJeff
05-24-2007, 11:53 AM

I think I found a news outlet (http://www.rednet.org/mapi/rednetnewspage.asp) you'd appreciate.

Joe Steel
05-25-2007, 05:06 AM
This folks is a prime example of a left wing moonbat in all his glory. If it's not communist propaganda its right wing. All media is to your right because your soooo far left you can even see the right.

pbs has been a liberal media since the 60's. They have been blantantly bias for the left since they have existed and have never deserved public funds to run their stations. I never have and never will donate to pbs.

cbs,nbc,abc, all times newspapers, washington post, rueters and ap are liberal biased news organizations. As are cnn, msnbc and cspan. They are all anti-Bush and their reporting is always geared toward making the Bush administration look bad. NEVER do they report anything positive done by the administration.

Reality has a liberal bias. That's your problem. Whenever someone speaks the truth you think it's just liberal propaganda.

Unfortunately, the major media don't trade in truth. They sell what's profitable to audiences which, while diminishing is size, are increasingly dominated by wingnuts.

stephanie
05-25-2007, 05:13 AM
Reality has a liberal bias. That's your problem. Whenever someone speaks the truth you think it's just liberal propaganda.

Unfortunately, the major media don't trade in truth. They sell what's profitable to audiences which, while diminishing is size, are increasingly dominated by wingnuts.

What the hell is....... a wingnut????:poke:

Gaffer
05-25-2007, 10:19 AM
What the hell is....... a wingnut????:poke:

It's what moonbats call everyone that isn't a moonbat.

Pale Rider
05-25-2007, 11:29 AM

So..... how long have you been free basing crack?