PDA

View Full Version : College- progressive style

Abbey Marie
06-11-2012, 02:26 PM
Saw this in the paper today. (sorry no link possible)

What a ridiculous situation we find ourselves in today.

Excerpt from article titled:
As money flows, college bureaucracies bloat
By George Will

The budgets of California's universities are being cut... student's are protesting tuition increases and administrators' salaries...
For example, in 2009 the base salary of UC Berkeley's vice chancellor for equity and inclusion was $194,000, almost four times that of starting assistant professors. And by 2006, academic administrators outnumbered faculty.

The Manhattan Institute's Heather Mac Donald notes that sinecures in academia's diversity industry are expanding as academic offerings contract. UC San Diego, while eliminating master's programs in electrical and computer engineering and comparative literature, and eliminating courses in French, German, Spanish and English literature, added a diversity requirement for graduation to culitvate "a student's understanding of her or his identity."
She says UCSD lost three cancer researchers to Rice university, which gave them 40 per cent pay hikes. But UCSD found money to create a vice chancellorship for equity, diversity and inclusion. UC Davis has a Diversity Trainers Institute. It also has a Cross-Cultural Center, A LGBT Resource Center, a Sexual Harassment Education Program, Understanding Diversity Certificate... and Cross-Cultural Competency Certificates in "Understanding Diversity and Social Justice".
(Ditto UC San Francisco).

The economics of it:

The government decided that too few people owned homes/went to college, so government money was poured into subsidized and sometimes sub-prime mortgages/student loans, with the predictable result that housing prices/college tuitions soared and many borrowers went bust. Tuitions and fees have risen 440 per cent in 30 years as as schools happily raised prices- and lowered standards- to siphon up federal money... Twenty nine per cent of borrowers never graduate...

Kathianne
06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
How's this link work for you, Abbey?

http://www2.tbo.com/news/opinion/2012/jun/10/vwopino1-subprime-college-educations-in-wake-of-ad-ar-413702/

ConHog
06-11-2012, 04:51 PM
Saw this in the paper today. (sorry no link possible)

What a ridiculous situation we find ourselves in today.

Excerpt from article titled:
As money flows, college bureaucracies bloat
By George Will

The economics of it:

Twenty nine per cent of borrowers never graduate...

I'm honestly surprised it's not higher. I mean the standards for borrowing are non existent. Just show up and say you want to go to college.

I HATE the student loan program, as well as the Pel Grant.

KitchenKitten99
06-12-2012, 11:59 AM
Twenty nine per cent of borrowers never graduate...

I'm honestly surprised it's not higher. I mean the standards for borrowing are non existent. Just show up and say you want to go to college.

I HATE the student loan program, as well as the Pel Grant.

I don't hate the program. It was something that helped me be able to attend college this late in life and the Pell Grant took a nice chunk out of my tuition, which would have totaled over $42k. The school had a few grants I qualified for since I had a status as a single mom, but half my funding was federal loans. Plus I was able to consolidate them all and lower my payments for 2 years until I can build up enough experience to command a better salary. Total amount I started out owing after graduation last year was $33k. Better than the $42k of the total degree program.

I made damn sure I graduated. I did, with honors on top of it all. Reason being is it didn't make sense to take out loans each term, and then not finish the program because I would still owe the money anyway, and have nothing to show for it.

Abbey Marie
06-12-2012, 03:09 PM
How's this link work for you, Abbey?

http://www2.tbo.com/news/opinion/2012/jun/10/vwopino1-subprime-college-educations-in-wake-of-ad-ar-413702/

:thumb:

cadet
06-12-2012, 03:36 PM
personally, i think they shouldn't put so much emphasis on a piece of paper. Not everyone goes to college. And i'd rather hire a guy who's experienced without a degree then some kid strait out of college.

And maybe drop the price a little bit, i'm not made out of money!

ConHog
06-12-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't hate the program. It was something that helped me be able to attend college this late in life and the Pell Grant took a nice chunk out of my tuition, which would have totaled over $42k. The school had a few grants I qualified for since I had a status as a single mom, but half my funding was federal loans. Plus I was able to consolidate them all and lower my payments for 2 years until I can build up enough experience to command a better salary. Total amount I started out owing after graduation last year was $33k. Better than the $42k of the total degree program.

I made damn sure I graduated. I did, with honors on top of it all. Reason being is it didn't make sense to take out loans each term, and then not finish the program because I would still owe the money anyway, and have nothing to show for it.

But if not for the subsidizes high prices afforded by student loans and pell grants for all you probably could have graduated owing $16K which is better than $33K

KitchenKitten99
06-13-2012, 11:27 AM
But if not for the subsidizes high prices afforded by student loans and pell grants for all you probably could have graduated owing $16K which is better than $33K
Depends on the college and the program(s) offered. If the cost of tuition far outreaches the average starting salary in the field for a certain percentage of graduates, then the federal loan program will not lend for that degree program.

The school I went to (Le Cordon Bleu) is a private, for-profit, which means they are also a business. They actually recently ended offering the AAS program because the cost of tuition would have been far more than the average starting salary for most of the graduates. Therefore, the federal loan program would not loan money to those students. My class was the second to last class to go through the degree program. Now all that is offered is the certificate/diploma.

Most places now that are hiring for management spots ask for at least an AAS in culinary arts. I am glad I went through when I did.

I think there are other locations of LCB that offer the AAS but not the MSP campus anymore. I know the CIA still offers it. Not sure if the Art Institute does, but I know they were much higher than LCB was for the same program when I was looking at schools.