PDA

View Full Version : Rahm Emanuel vs. Teachers Union

Thunderknuckles
06-11-2012, 06:17 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jTreOdRf4LAUOkD6zxIfeDEeZSMg?docId=fafaffcca c0a44f8925ec4ab81a32fd5

A new fight breaking out involving public unions.
The CPS(Chicago Public Schools) has been facing enormous budget deficits of over 700 million dollars for 2012. Rahm and the CPS managed to close gap through a combination of staff cuts, program reductions, and raising taxes to the highest levels allowed by law. Rahm also rescinded a 4% increase in teacher pay last year to help close the gap. This has teachers really pissed off and the teachers union is now threatening a strike if their demands aren't met. What exactly do they want? A 29% increase in pay over the next two years.
How in the hell can they make such a demand when you consider the following:
Despite closing the budget gap for 2012, they are facing an additional deficit of 600-700 million for 2013. By 2014 the deficit becomes 1 billion due to the district's 4 year pension holiday expiring. They have already made big cuts and raised taxes. How do they expect this increase in pay to be funded?!

We have a showdown on our hands between local government and the teacher's union. Based on what recently happened in Wisconsin, how do you think this will play? After already getting hit with higher taxes, I do not think the teachers union will have much public support on this and surprisingly Rahm Emanuel has been standing firm on his end which I never would have expected from one who came out of the Obama Administration.

Additional supporting article:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-28/news/ct-met-cps-budget-preview0328-20120328_1_cps-budget-budget-deficit-school-day

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-11-2012, 06:22 PM
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5jTreOdRf4LAUOkD6zxIfeDEeZSMg?docId=fafaffcca c0a44f8925ec4ab81a32fd5

A new fight breaking out involving public unions.
The CPS(Chicago Public Schools) has been facing enormous budget deficits of over 700 million dollars for 2012. Rahm and the CPS managed to close gap through a combination of staff cuts, program reductions, and raising taxes to the highest levels allowed by law. Rahm also rescinded a 4% increase in teacher pay last year to help close the gap. This has teachers really pissed off and the teachers union is now threatening a strike if their demands aren't met. What exactly do they want? A 29% increase in pay over the next two years.
How in the hell can they make such a demand when you consider the following:
Despite closing the budget gap for 2012, they are facing an additional deficit of 600-700 million for 2013. By 2014 the deficit becomes 1 billion due to the district's 4 year pension holiday expiring. They have already made big cuts and raised taxes. How do they expect this increase in pay to be funded?!

We have a showdown on our hands between local government and the teacher's union. Based on what recently happened in Wisconsin, how do you think this play? After already getting hit with higher taxes, I do not think the teachers union will have much public support on this and surprisingly Rahm Emanuel has been standing firm on his end which I never would have expected coming from the Obama Administration.

Additional supporting article:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-03-28/news/ct-met-cps-budget-preview0328-20120328_1_cps-budget-budget-deficit-school-day

Rahm deserves to have his sorry ass beat. He is a lying corrupt piece of scum. He reminds me of a tick on dog that is sucking for everything it can get with no regard for the health of its host. -Tyr

Thunderknuckles
06-11-2012, 06:34 PM
Rahm deserves to have his sorry ass beat. He is a lying corrupt piece of scum. He reminds me of a tick on dog that is sucking for everything it can get with no regard for the health of its host. -Tyr
But in this case, he actually went against the union by rescinding a pay increase. I'll give him a point for that. The fact that he had to raise taxes makes it a wash for me. I'm interested to see how he and the CPS play this one out. I'm almost certain teachers will get a pay increase. By what percentage is the question.

Tyr-Ziu Saxnot
06-11-2012, 06:42 PM
But in this case, he actually went against the union by rescinding a pay increase. I'll give him a point for that. The fact that he had to raise taxes makes it a wash for me. I'm interested to see how he and the CPS play this one out. I'm almost certain teachers will get a pay increase. By what percentage is the question.

Sure he went against the union but knowing Rahm it's part of insuring his longterm survival. The guy only serves himself. There is not an ounce of public service minded integrity in him. I'd say somebody has long term plans for Rahm going much higher in Government! If that actually happens just think of the damage that weasel can do!-Tyr

Kathianne
06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
The teachers will emerge with at least 5-8% increase, way higher than the norm. In a state that is strapped way beyond the norm.

PostmodernProphet
06-12-2012, 07:34 AM
time for a recall.....